School Suspends Teens For Wearing Crucifixes

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Blue, red, green and I think black around here. But with the black it is specific items worn in a specific way. (The gang is known as "The Family") The Mr. and I are safe enough wearing black jeans and t-shirts. I'm not sure if yellow is also to be avoided or not, it might be now.

Keep in mind, I live in a tiny, podunk town a good chunk of the residents live at, or below poverty level. In this town, you don't want to wear either red or blue, ESPECIALLY if you go down on the East side of town. (The slum.) Our friend and his girlfriend (now wife) got mugged at gunpoint in broad daylight in that neighborhood, and he lived/grew up there! He was one of the few white boys who could semi-safely walk through that area. Still, he got chased out of the tenament by thugs (gang members) armed with HEAVY WEAPONS some years back. I am not kidding, and he is not the sort to lie about that. This town is on a major drug route. :( (There are also a *LOT* of meth cookers and meth addicts here.) I'm not kidding when I say if the Mr. and I go out walking at night we wear chains, and carry knives. Any sane person would. More than once we've been followed by a fellow, just casually walking behind us you know. Until he saw the chains, then he went off elsewhere to find someone easier to mug.
I would find a safer place to live.
:eek:

you are fine on the streets here in any of the nice areas. No problem. School gangs are kind of a different animal. I live in a beautiful affluent seaside community, but the kids still form gangs and so there are gang attire restrictions.There are gangs at many schools in the US, but parents don;t always know.
Don't worry about anyone visiting out here SieSie.

Blue, red, green and I think black around here. But with the black it is specific items worn in a specific way. (The gang is known as "The Family") The Mr. and I are safe enough wearing black jeans and t-shirts. I'm not sure if yellow is also to be avoided or not, it might be now.

Keep in mind, I live in a tiny, podunk town a good chunk of the residents live at, or below poverty level. In this town, you don't want to wear either red or blue, ESPECIALLY if you go down on the East side of town. (The slum.) Our friend and his girlfriend (now wife) got mugged at gunpoint in broad daylight in that neighborhood, and he lived/grew up there! He was one of the few white boys who could semi-safely walk through that area. Still, he got chased out of the tenament by thugs (gang members) armed with HEAVY WEAPONS some years back. I am not kidding, and he is not the sort to lie about that. This town is on a major drug route. :( (There are also a *LOT* of meth cookers and meth addicts here.) I'm not kidding when I say if the Mr. and I go out walking at night we wear chains, and carry knives. Any sane person would. More than once we've been followed by a fellow, just casually walking behind us you know. Until he saw the chains, then he went off elsewhere to find someone easier to mug.
I'm so sorry you have to live in fear of all that. :( I can't even imagine. I'm so sheltered!!

There are certain areas of CA where it is known you don't wear red or blue. Santa Rosa, Richmond, Vallejo, Oakland, Compton, Inglewood...Just to mention a few.
My husband works for AT&T and their work shirts are a dark blue, I worry about him when he has to drive out to Richmond. He goes early in the morning before the gang members have slept off their hangovers!:eek:

Golfmom, these boys are Hispanic and being Hispanic myself I know that almost all wear crucifixes and yes many wear their rosary beads. My husband wore his on his plane trip from Mexico. It is a cultural thing not just religous.

Ah, so is the Confederate flag, a cultural thing, but it is being banned as we speak. There is no difference as far as I can see. So little WHITE kids are also being singled out for dress codes against there heritage. :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Ah, so is the Confederate flag, a cultural thing, but it is being banned as we speak. There is no difference as far as I can see. So little WHITE kids are also being singled out for dress codes against there heritage. :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:
maybe you missed the context of the post you quoted. it was in reference to the fact most catholics do not wear the rosary around the neck but Hispanic catholics often do. the boys are not being punished for wearing it around their necks but for wearing it to school at all. the way the item is worn may be cultural but that has nothing to do with why it was banned.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEnd
Back