Found Deceased SD - Angela Armstrong, 45, Sioux Falls, 3 June 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can you please tell me more about how you set up being able to use the app as a garage door opener? Is it a specific app that has to do with the brand of garage door??

If you have a door opener with a small remote already in place. Then all you need is a small enabler that can connect with your phone, and you are done. There are multiple WiFi and Bluetooth openers that can be easily installed in your existing door opener. If you have a Liftmaster for instance it is very easy. There are countless videos on youtube from 6-7 years ago with clear explainations.

Police: Angela Armstrong's cause of death might not be known for weeks

"There was no obvious trauma to the body, but we're still investigating," Sioux Falls police spokesman Sam Clemens said at his daily police briefing Thursday.

Investigators are also waiting for the results of a toxicology report, which could also take anywhere from four to six weeks, Clemens said.

I can. I have one like this. It requires a WiFi connection enabled garage door opener unit. Chamberlain has one. myQ Smart Home | Chamberlain

I
just don’t see an apartment complex having those types of garage door openers. They are expensive.

On the other hand, she could have programmed her car to the garage door and never changed it. I think it would be up to the complex to reset the code on the garage door. IF they never reset the code, and she had programmed her cars homelink system to the opener she would still be able to gain access.

So it’s called a Homelink System?

I can. I have one like this. It requires a WiFi connection enabled garage door opener unit. Chamberlain has one. myQ Smart Home | Chamberlain

I
just don’t see an apartment complex having those types of garage door openers. They are expensive.

On the other hand, she could have programmed her car to the garage door and never changed it. I think it would be up to the complex to reset the code on the garage door. IF they never reset the code, and she had programmed her cars homelink system to the opener she would still be able to gain access.
Good thoughts here. It would seem like a big expense for Property Management to provide and support wifi coverage in the complex that reached far enought out to cover the free-standing garage units. ...especially if it's just so renters could use their phone to open their garage doors - or maybe so they could add an IP camera so they could check in on their vehicle from their phone. And that's not even to mention the IT logistics and security of keeping the wifi access limited to the renter and supporting confused users who may not understand how it works or have problems with it. I could see the units having openers, but I think the landlord would be too worried about security access and maintenance and what not to try to offer openers with "smart" access. That just seems like too big of a liability to me. (of course that's just my opinion.)

Then again, pretty much anyone with a programmable opener in their car could probably figure out how to program their car (or even an opener they maybe bought themselves) to work with a standard opener (I think). I don't think we even know for *sure* that ACA had rented this garage in the past but I understand the desire to draw that conclusion. Regardless of who might be renting it, or who may have rented it in the past (any time in the past), if the management at the Commons didn't reprogram the opener between lease contracts, the list of people who may still have their car programmed to open that door (*if* there's an opener in the garage) would be as long as the list of renters who have used it in the past. I suppose maybe property management would advise anyone leasing the garage that they are responsible for reprogramming the opener themselves when they start using the garage - but if they do, I bet most renters wouldn't actually follow thru and do that.

Getting keys and any remote door/garage openers - one of the top things a property manager should have on the move out checklist for a tenant. Even if just moving within the complex.

But if that was indeed her former garage - I am shocked that no one thought to check it.
Or that the property manager didn’t confirm the vacant garages had been checked.

I wonder if the property manager notified tenants that she was missing and/or asked for possible sightings?

I wonder if any tenant installed a ring doorbell or camera on their own? Even some vehicles have alarms that record or trigger the camera. I wonder if one of those was near?

It would seem that her injuries were not apparent or they would be labeling it suspicious. Strangulation night not be obvious right now.

I feel for the family with all they have delt with.

I wonder if it were a suicide, how common it would be to not leave a note for a female? (Assuming there’s is no note)

A suicide of a certain kind would definitely leave some distinctive trauma. What overdose doesn't leave any kind of trauma?

If this is your former garage and you are still able to access it what makes you go over there? We don't know if she did this before. But the time suggests an urgency, but what kind of urgency.

<mod snip>

And in regards to suicide notes, they actually aren’t near as common as one would think. Less than 50% of individuals leave a suicide note.
It just seems rather hard as a mom to say a nonchalant bye to your kid and then go mill yourself.

So, I’ve been suspicious that wasn’t her last location.

My question. Who lived with her at the old address? Who has access to that garage. Was her car programmed to it?

And I hate to say it, but come on, if I lived there in that complex, I’m worried until I know. Hopefully LE isn’t waiting around until COD and looking into apartment complex employees and who has access to the garage.

I could see carbon monoxide poisoning as suicide method, but I don’t see her being outside of the car for that or walking out in front of her son. Also, don’t know how someone didn’t hear a car running for hours? How long would it take the car to die? (I know depends on gas)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jmho, I see this alittle differently.

With the recent deaths and such in her family lately, I could honestly see it being natural i guess. I know that I have opened my garage door only to bump it again when I'm inside, then have to open it AGAIN to get my truck out.

As a mom myself, I couldn't imagine telling my children I'd be right back, go harm myself, and leave it open to chance that they could find me. If I told my oldest I'd be right back, I would honestly mean I'd be right back. I just can't seem to make the suicide theory work in my head, but thats probably just me.

With all this being said..... I know I am not Angela and anything could have happened. Deep down I'm just feeling natural causes, and will probably be proven wrong when the tox screen comes back.

Again...... this is all JMHO

<mod snip quoted post>

Was this just a plain detached small garage? I can’t see ever closing a detached garage for any reason unless she was getting high or drinking and needed a moment to be alone. Maybe she had a visitor and wanted alone time? Did she have a BF or history of drug use?

The place isn't that old, staff come and go, units may be vacant, garages unrented. Some sites may leave a door open. May have been her old garage with a remote or keypad. Maintenance guy may leave her one unlocked. Did another family member have a vehicle in her garage? Kids game room, so she parked around the corner?

Demeanor when telling the son, would be helpful. "I'll be back" has a lot of variation in meaning.

IMO, nobody else is involved. I'm torn between self-harm and recreation gone wrong. Even with a carbon monoxide death, there is unpleasantness, if concern for the vehicle was in her mind.

The place isn't that old, staff come and go, units may be vacant, garages unrented. Some sites may leave a door open. May have been her old garage with a remote or keypad. Maintenance guy may leave her one unlocked. Did another family member have a vehicle in her garage? Kids game room, so she parked around the corner?

Demeanor when telling the son, would be helpful. "I'll be back" has a lot of variation in meaning.

IMO, nobody else is involved. I'm torn between self-harm and recreation gone wrong. Even with a carbon monoxide death, there is unpleasantness, if concern for the vehicle was in her mind.

I think I’m interested in knowing more about this garage. Was it a garage she had previously or one she had in addition to hers at home? Was it even hers? Was she renting it or did it belong to someone else. I definitely get someone could pass away from natural causes but I see no reason for her or anybody else to close a detached garage. That’s equivalent to being in a storage unit and closing the door and locking yourself in. If it was on purpose the only reason I could see would be illegal activity, drugs, alone time with another person. Other then those reasons why would anyone ever close a detached garage door.

I think I’m interested in knowing more about this garage. Was it a garage she had previously or one she had in addition to hers at home? Was it even hers? Was she renting it or did it belong to someone else. I definitely get someone could pass away from natural causes but I see no reason for her or anybody else to close a detached garage. That’s equivalent to being in a storage unit and closing the door and locking yourself in. If it was on purpose the only reason I could see would be illegal activity, drugs, alone time with another person. Other then those reasons why would anyone ever close a detached garage door.

LE has stated that the garage doesn’t belong to Angie. That’s all we know about the garage via LE.

But it wasn’t her current garage. She had moved from an apartment at building 6308 to a townhome in a 65XX building back in February of this year. Her townhome has an attached garage, so why was she in what was quite possibly her old garage?? The orange dot marks the garage her body was found in. What brought her there between 12-1am in the morning? I hope that helps clarify things better. I’ll attach the photo here again.

View attachment 252888

I didn't say a word about it being HER garage. I simply stated my own opinion of possibly how she died in the garage.

<mod snip>

Someone (i think?) had mentioned a possibility of her going out real quick to give someone a ride. I wouldnt have left mine alone but was trying to think of reasons why a mom would. If someone called her for a ride home because theyd been drinking/drunk, you had something of someones to give back (left their phone or keys in your car) which takes me down the beginnings of a rabbit hole of her being set up. As an obviously very loving mother, I doubt if she was going to take her own life that she'd just give her son a quick "I'll be back, bye"...its all so mysterious.

Perhaps her oldest son called and needed something- don’t know if he lives nearby.
Was there a phone call that prompted the midnight-1am outing for Angela?
Was she working from home and needed something? (Can’t remember where she was employed)
Although I am surprised she would leave her children for a non-emergency item.

Although it's a common method of suicide, people also accidentally die from carbon monoxide pretty often and there are a million reasons someone might hide in a garage. Something as innocent as her kids drive her nuts and she had been sneaking little cat naps in her car there but this was the first time it was hot enough at night for her to want the AC and just didn't think about the exhaust. Speculation obviously, but perfectly plausible.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston
Back