ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BHCH is licensed as a locked facility - meaning locked from the outside so a person needs to be let in by someone or have a key/FOB. Legally, they cannot lock exit doors since they are not licensed that way. It is actually very typical of group homes and other Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities like BHCH, at least in SD and surrounding states.

In most places, ordinary public schools are secured exactly the same. All doors locked on the outside; hallways where classrooms are located have the doors locked on the lobby side. Visitors to the school have to ring a buzzer to the office and show picture ID to an outside camera before office staff "buzz" them in. Staff have picture ID cards with electronic chips to unlock doors. Large "STOP" signs are on all inside doors warning students, parent volunteers, etc. not to open doors for visitors. Classroom doors are also usually supposed to remain locked whenever students are inside. Obviously, the extreme security measures to lock out the public is because of concern about school shooters, child sexual predators and other dangerous people. MOO.

MAY 31, 2019
Serenity Dennard Search Efforts Continue
The Search for Serenity Dennard continues this weekend as weather conditions improve in the Black Hills. The multi-agency search involves more than 800 people, 65 K-9 teams and seven aircraft.

The search will continue through Sunday and will involve foot patrols in conjunction with specialized K-9 units.

[...]

She says the search was supposed to start Wednesday but hazardous conditions, caused by inclement weather have posed serious problems. She says the steep terrain and loose pine needles can be dangerous even in the best conditions.

“Weather has played a big role and has, at times, delayed us weeks. Searchers and dog teams all needed melting, they needed warmer conditions, and in this case, we needed some drier conditions,” says Duhamel.

[...]

“We’re just heartbroken that we haven’t found Serenity. We continue on the investigative side as well, but we’re doing both fronts at all times and working very hard following all leads and trying to find Serenity Dennard,” says Duhamel.

[...]

“In all of our searches we have GPS units on, so we can see where we’ve gone, and then – like today – we were going back and cleaning up some areas where we had some, what we call holes. Areas we didn’t have as much concentration as we’d like, so we went back and cleaned up some of those areas,” says Thom.

[...]

I have a feeling the information isn't correct. Seven air crafts all flying around in the same 2 mile area? And 65 K-9 teams? Just doesn't sound possible. JMO

Those numbers are probably the totals for the whole weekend. The searchers and aircraft would deploy in shifts, but still, those are impressive numbers. Heartbreaking that it wasn't possible to do an intensive search immediately.

I just still can't get over the couple who spotted Serenity, after dropping off a child, not going after her, but instead taking the time to go back to the home's office. Maybe she would have slipped away from them, too, but it's always worth trying whenever you see any child in an unsafe situation. Perhaps I see it differently as a result of having spent years being responsible for other people's children, but when I see children in public doing something unsafe, even just running or climbing where it is not appropriate, I say something. Sometimes the parent is distracted and appreciates another's concern for their child; sometimes they act miffed, but I don't care. Whenever a child's potential injury is prevented, it's the right thing to do. I appreciated that kind of adult concern when my kids were young. MOO.

Those numbers are probably the totals for the whole weekend. The searchers and aircraft would deploy in shifts, but still, those are impressive numbers. Heartbreaking that it wasn't possible to do an intensive search immediately.

I just still can't get over the couple who spotted Serenity, after dropping off a child, not going after her, but instead taking the time to go back to the home's office. Maybe she would have slipped away from them, too, but it's always worth trying whenever you see any child in an unsafe situation. Perhaps I see it differently as a result of having spent years being responsible for other people's children, but when I see children in public doing something unsafe, even just running or climbing where it is not appropriate, I say something. Sometimes the parent is distracted and appreciates another's concern for their child; sometimes they act miffed, but I don't care. Whenever a child's potential injury is prevented, it's the right thing to do. I appreciated that kind of adult concern when my kids were young. MOO.
And you know how it is------when you go someplace to talk to someone and you think you're only there a few minutes, it's always longer. If they were dropping off a child, I'm sure they went in, found someone to tell them what they saw, spoke to whomever they found, said their good byes to the child they were dropping off, and then went back to their car and looked for her.

I don't fault the couple. They were in the parking lot, which sits well off the road. They saw Serenity up on the road, went in immediately to report she was up there, found out she wasn't supposed to be up there, then went in up to retrieve her. But by they she had disappeared.

I don't fault the couple. They were in the parking lot, which sits well off the road. They saw Serenity up on the road, went in immediately to report she was up there, found out she wasn't supposed to be up there, then went in up to retrieve her. But by they she had disappeared.
To the north or south ???... which way do you think Serenity was heading ??...

To the north or south ???... which way do you think Serenity was heading ??...
One of the reports said that the couple saw her up on the road by grates, heading north. But they lost sight of her, and it isn't known whether she stayed on the road, took the side road just north of the Home, or cut up into the terrain. (Or, for that matter, tried to head back to the buildings at the Home.) The ground was hard but there was no snow yet (it started a few hours later), so there were no discernible tracks.

In most places, ordinary public schools are secured exactly the same. All doors locked on the outside; hallways where classrooms are located have the doors locked on the lobby side. Visitors to the school have to ring a buzzer to the office and show picture ID to an outside camera before office staff "buzz" them in. Staff have picture ID cards with electronic chips to unlock doors. Large "STOP" signs are on all inside doors warning students, parent volunteers, etc. not to open doors for visitors. Classroom doors are also usually supposed to remain locked whenever students are inside. Obviously, the extreme security measures to lock out the public is because of concern about school shooters, child sexual predators and other dangerous people. MOO.

Yes, and they have all of the other security measures like cameras, maybe alarms...

Did this facility? I somehow doubt they were even electronically chipped but maybe I missed something...

Just jumping off your post and jmo.

BBM

The intention of my post was not to place blame on the couple. Rather, in tragic cases involving children, like this one, I like to take the opportunity to make a few points based on my personal and professional experience that I think are educational and may cause people to think and act differently, IOW, with the most immediate and effective action. My hope is that the next time people see a child or other vulnerable person in a situation that "doesn't seem right" that their actions are the most proactive possible, because, exactly as you stated, "but by then she had disappeared."

I think almost anyone who has worked professionally with children has learned what incredibly dangerous, impulsive, illogical and completely unexpected things they can do. This includes all children, not just those with psychological or behavioral problems. For example, I've seen playfully intended "horsing around" turn dangerous in the blink of an eye. As many parents know, a child can slip out of sight in a split second of distraction. A determined child, even some toddlers, can run much faster than you ever imagined. In other words, when safety is involved, there isn't a second to lose; there is no room for a moment's hesitation. However, not all adults know this. People who have not worked professionally with children, or are not parents, or parents whose children are meek and obedient, can be shocked by what some children are capable of.

My own adult child recently told me that her earliest memory is of "drowning in a hot tub." At 2-1/2, she was being led from a hotel swimming pool area when she suddenly yanked her hand free and bolted back toward the pool. On the way, she slipped on the wet floor and fell headfirst into the hot tub. It all happened in a second. Thankfully, we were able immediately to pull her out--coughing, gasping and bawling, but otherwise unharmed. Even though she was a very strong-willed child, I never anticipated she could be so strong and fast. It was certainly a learning experience for me.

Personally, I'm always looking to learn things from the facts of the cases I follow, as well as from the comments and anecdotes shared by fellow Websleuthers. Over the years, I have learned many useful and interesting things.

IMO, what we can learn from Serenity's case is not to underestimate what a determined child is capable of, and, consequently, to take the most immediate and effective action possible when a child is in a situation that "doesn't seem right." Obviously, the adult couple had to have known, especially if they were dropping off a child themselves, that Serenity "wasn't supposed to be up there." I really can't believe that it was necessary for them to go back into the home's office in order to "find out" that a little girl, alone near the highway next to the home, on a winter day without even a jacket, was from the home and "wasn't supposed to be up there." I would think the "unsafeness" and urgency of the situation would be apparent.
My point is that even if you think:
A) "It'll only take a few minutes to summon a staff member who'll then be able to get her;"
B) "she won't go far;"
C) "She'll likely return on her own;" or
D) "I'm not 'authorized' to intervene with a child that's not mine;
none of us can be sure of A, B, or C, as was proven in Serenity's case. In an unsafe situation, a child's wellbeing supersedes D. Even in the event that a misguided staff member were to criticize me for "interference" in returning the child, I would know that I had done the right thing, and that is what matters.
MOO.

Does anyone know how far away the home is from the Sturgis Rally? I know it was not that time of year, but I was just reading a blog that mentioned Serenity. I’m constantly looking for things on this case. The blog had some pretty upsetting insight into Sturgis, child abuse and the Foster care industry. I can’t quote it here because it’s not MSM. It’s called the Dakota Progressive. There is a whole article about Serenity and State Senator Lynne DiSanto creating awareness about her case (as we all already know), children’s homes and the politics involved.

Does anyone know how far away the home is from the Sturgis Rally? I know it was not that time of year, but I was just reading a blog that mentioned Serenity. I’m constantly looking for things on this case. The blog had some pretty upsetting insight into Sturgis, child abuse and the Foster care industry. I can’t quote it here because it’s not MSM. It’s called the Dakota Progressive. There is a whole article about Serenity and State Senator Lynne DiSanto creating awareness about her case (as we all already know), children’s homes and the politics involved.
About 1 hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members