ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just listened to the podcast.

When she ran away there was not snow on the ground, correct? A storm did come in later (snow, temp drops) but it was not like that when she took off. Unless I’m remembering wrong.

In the podcast they made it sound like she ran off in a blizzard.

When she ran away there was not snow on the ground, correct? A storm did come in later (snow, temp drops) but it was not like that when she took off. Unless I’m remembering wrong.

In a blizzard? No. The temperatures were dropping all day, and the wind was picking up. The temperatures when she took off was around 20 with a wind chill much colder, but the snow didn't actually start until several hours later. (It was snowing and much colder when the news crews arrived later.) There was no actual snow on the ground or in the air when she took off. But it was quite cold. The temperatures has already started to drop sharply. It was quite a bit colder than it had been when the sun rose a few hours earlier. And the temperatures would continue to drop all day, getting down to 0 by the end of the day (and colder with wind chills). Serenity should have gotten cold quite quickly, especially without winter wear.

The day before had been unseasonably warm, exceptionally so. There was no ground cover as far as snow. As far as when she went missing well I guess it depends on what account is believed of what time and when she was first outside. As we came to find out later, 911 was not called when we first thought nor were searchers outside as quickly as we first thought, even employees. To my recollection it started in the 30s and the temps dropped a bit later throughout the day.

Weather though was blamed for lack of continued searching, etc.

There was no blizzard when she allegedly ran off.

I have not listened to the podcast, and am just going on recollection now.

As may be evident in my "written tone of voice", I have an attitude about some of this case. I admit I judge some of it from afar, a bit unfairly perhaps but then again, some things have proven true as to how it was handled.

This is a case where it looks likely we are going to be left to our own theory of what occurred. I do not think she will be found and laid to rest and if she is, the answers will never be satisfactory.

I have my foremost theory from having watched the case from the early days.

I am no NG fan, far from it, but I am happy with anyone who keeps Serenity in the news and gives the case notice.

I still do pray she is found but the hope I have is slim, I admit.

All jmo.

For people locally, what has the TV news coverage been like for Serenity?

Not local to the Rapid City area but I am in South Dakota. The coverage is minimal. The news here is affiliated with channels in the RC area so they announce continued searches by LE when PCSO makes posts or alerts the media. No one local is really digging into this story though. No major news stations in the area regularly share her missing poster or anything like that.

In the beginning there were more regular stories of course. When the state senator, Lynne, gives interviews those stay mostly local to the RC area and don't get posted to my local news channels but they did post about the bday event but it was a very small story.

Locals and a lot people in SD have expressed some frustration with the lack of coverage though. Even on my side of the state, the news she was missing didn't air until hours later. I am sure the media is limited with the family not talking, BHCH not talking, so really unless there is something new, not much is posted about Serenity in the media.

I too was not impressed with the NG podcast, not that I expected to be. I love that Serenity's story got out to more people! Just frustrated that it was inaccurate and again gave some conflicting info...mention of the weather, shoes vs boots, the first child running outside which is different than previous info in the media, LE, and from Serenity's adoptive mom's interview with Lynne but I think NG just got that wrong. I appreciate Lynne raising awareness but she too needs to get facts straight. Multiple people have asked her where the shoe info came from but as far as I know she hasn't told anyone
So is Lynne confused or is that new info since the missing posters, LE statements all say Serenity was wearing black boots?

I appreciate Mr Klaas speaking too but he seemed to be missing some info
Again, him being on and his foundation sharing her info and being involved brings more awareness to Serenity so I am grateful for that.

I also got a little frustrated with NG pointing out the staff remaining with the 2 kids in the gym being wrong. That is not how things work in residential treatment, so many things could go wrong (they run, assault each other, etc) leaving kids unattended and kids running or leaving supervision is different than staff leaving kids unattended. It isn't at all like telling your own kids to stay put while you run outside. The kids in PRTF's are there for a reason and need the supervision. Honestly, that was one of the only things BHCH staff did right that day and it was even mentioned it was correct in those reports we saw so I don't understand why it keeps getting brought up and NG stating it, just stirred it up again. I also know without working at a residential treatment center it may be hard to understand.

I feel like more about the reports could have been mentioned..staff not stepping up, etc because that all is relevant to Serenity and how the facility failed her. I get NG is about ratings but it still frustrated me that facts were wrong, kids have out ran and hidden from search members before and it is possible Serenity ran into the woods even with the rough terrain and hid well... especially since we know she couldn't get back inside on her own and she had a pretty good head start. I don't think it can be completely ruled out. Kids run pretty regularly from residential treatments so that in and of itself wasn't a red flag but BHCH staff not being prepared and their response is one to me. Maybe limited info could be shared based on the gag order Lynne talked about.

I still am not sure what I think happened and it changes regularly. This case has been super frustrating for me...probably because it hits home from my experiences working in residential treatment (knowing how things should be done, that those kids deserve staff that are trained and will step up, etc.) and that I expected better from a CHS facility since they had a great reputation in the state. It is somewhat local so maybe that it part of it too. I just wish Serenity to be found!

MOO

JUN 6, 2019
Serenity Dennard search resumes Saturday near Rockerville
The search for Serenity Dennard, missing since Feb. 3, continues Saturday.

The Pennington County Sheriff’s Office and county Search and Rescue will lead 120 people in the search efforts. This includes Rapid City and Box Elder police, the Air Force, S.D. Civil Air Patrol and Wyoming Search and Rescue.

[...]

Over 100 people to search for Serenity Dennard over the weekend - KNBN NewsCenter1
[...]

This is a continuation of a methodical search using GPS in a search grid surrounding the Black Hills Children’s Home. Searchers will comb through rugged and hilly terrain in a tight pattern. The Gaslight Restaurant in Rockerville will be providing lunch for all those involved in the search.

JUN 7, 2019
Search continues for missing Black Hills girl
[...]

Several Groups will join the Pennington County Sheriff's office on June 8th. Officials say about 120 people will help, along with the Air Force and Civil Air Patrol.

The group will be using GPS in a search grid around the Home Society where she was last seen.

Officials plan another search for missing South Dakota girl
[...]

The team will be led by the Pennington County Sheriff's Office and Pennington County Search and Rescue. Other agencies will join the search including police departments in Rapid City and Box Elder, the U.S. Air Force, South Dakota Civil Air Patrol and Wyoming Search and Rescue.

Authorities plan to continue searching a grid around the children's home.

[...]

I am really beginning to wonder if she's really out there in the woods.

She couldn't have gotten far on such a cold day, in my opinion- not the way that she was dressed. It's such a shame that there is no video available outside of the home, showing which direction she went.

This is puzzling me and haunting me.

I am really beginning to wonder if she's really out there in the woods.

She couldn't have gotten far on such a cold day, in my opinion- not the way that she was dressed. It's such a shame that there is no video available outside of the home, showing which direction she went.

This is puzzling me and haunting me.
I am beginning to wonder if she ever left the children's home. This is one of the saddest cases I've come across and it haunts me.

Pennington County Sheriff's Office
4 mins ·

A huge THANK YOU to our helpers today. The USAF sent a ton of help. Weston County (WY) Search & Rescue, the SD Civil Air Patrol and Minnehaha County Sheriff's Office all had volunteers here as well. We did not find Serenity today but we will not give up. We will meet again early next week to review this weekends activity and make a plan. As always, we will continue to investigate all leads and will not give up until we bring Serenity home. Thank you Gaslight Restaurant for lunch. You have all been awesome. Thank you to the public for their ongoing support.

Pennington County Sheriff's Office
4 mins ·

A huge THANK YOU to our helpers today. The USAF sent a ton of help. Weston County (WY) Search & Rescue, the SD Civil Air Patrol and Minnehaha County Sheriff's Office all had volunteers here as well. We did not find Serenity today but we will not give up. We will meet again early next week to review this weekends activity and make a plan. As always, we will continue to investigate all leads and will not give up until we bring Serenity home. Thank you Gaslight Restaurant for lunch. You have all been awesome. Thank you to the public for their ongoing support.

I wish they would dig deeper. There is something they are missing, and it's probably right in front of their noses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela