ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure LE have kept their eyes on every single solitary predator for miles around. IMO we would have heard something by now?
If you said to me that the FBI was involved, I would say yes, they were definitely checked out. Yet LE seemed more concerned finding that couple that Serenity walked by and searching the area around the home, and we haven't heard anything about them checking out SO's. From what I understand, they don't have a big police department.

So the SO I was referring to is literally 8 minutes away and lives in Keystone. So he would need to take Rockville Rd to get anywhere. That is the one that worries me because chances of him being on that road are high.
<snip>

Living in Keystone doesn't mean S Rockerville Rd would have to be used. Both state route 40 and US 16A go through Keystone. S Rockerville Rd ends on state route 40 outside of Keystone, and is a lesser-used road. So in fact, most who live in Keystone would not have to take S Rockerville Rd at all, and in fact wouldn't, as it is a slower, twisty road. They would use one of the main roads. At least that is my opinion based on Google Maps.

One article I saw said Saturday, another said "this weekend".
As for if she would have wandered off the main road, this article on the plane efforts is interesting:

The Civil Air Patrol plane used in the search to find 9-year-old Serenity Dennard

They say they would be able to see footprints in the snow on the terrain, but none were detected. And they went in all directions from the Home.
Well, that's not encouraging that they didn't find any footprints of Serenity. The only thing left is that possibly she was kidnapped? I wish the FBI was involved.....

After Weather Delay, Search Resumes for South Dakota Girl
Recovery teams are resuming their search for a 9-year-old girl who ran away from a residential youth home in South Dakota amid frigid weather last weekend.

The search for Serenity Dennard had been stalled for two days because of a winter storm that hit the region. The girl went missing Sunday in subfreezing temperatures from the Black Hills Children's Home near Rockerville.

The Pennington County Sheriff's Office says if the girl was outside, it's unlikely she survived because she wasn't dressed for the weather. Authorities say their efforts are now focused on finding her body.

On Friday, searchers headed back outside with specially trained dogs to go over the territory near the children's home. Additional dogs and handlers are expected to arrive from out-of-state for the weekend.

Bolded by me- This is why I wish the FBI was involved. We have CAP saying that they used a plane and found no footprints on the terrain. Yet LE doesn't appear to be looking at other possibilities, that she could have been kidnapped.

Someone upthread made a good point, saying that by the time LE was called and a search was done by them, Serenity could have walked 3 miles- that's quite a distance to go by yourself, as a little girl. How did no one besides that couple see her? No workers driving into work or leaving drove by in that direction? No visitors of the Children's Home, neighbors? No mail person delivering mail? Fex EX, UPS?

Living in Keystone doesn't mean S Rockerville Rd would have to be used. Both state route 40 and US 16A go through Keystone. S Rockerville Rd ends on state route 40 outside of Keystone, and is a lesser-used road. So in fact, most who live in Keystone would not have to take S Rockerville Rd at all, and in fact wouldn't, as it is a slower, twisty road. They would use one of the main roads. At least that is my opinion based on Google Maps.
Very true, but this SO would know there was a Children's Home with girls living there, and you never know if they drove or walked by looking for another victim. We've seen a few over the years that lived close by like that kidnapping and harming children in their neighborhoods.

We've also seen some sickos that didn't know the victims or their families kidnap children out of their homes in the middle of the night. I would imagine that would be too hard at the Children's Home to occur, with many overnight awake staff there.

I will look again! When I put his address in it really seemed to me the obvious route to Rapid City or Rockerville was Rockerville Rd. I think because he lives so close to RR vs 16A.

Edited: He probably does use 16A. But still is an 8 minute drive to the home if he used RR and you never know. I keep trying to figure if it's allowed to search the home and car of SO just to rule out or if you need much more to go on.

Last edited:
Bolded by me- This is why I wish the FBI was involved. We have CAP saying that they used a plane and found no footprints on the terrain. Yet LE doesn't appear to be looking at other possibilities, that she could have been kidnapped.

Someone upthread made a good point, saying that by the time LE was called and a search was done by them, Serenity could have walked 3 miles- that's quite a distance to go by yourself, as a little girl. How did no one besides that couple see her? No workers driving into work or leaving drove by in that direction? No visitors of the Children's Home, neighbors? No mail person delivering mail? Fex EX, UPS?
That's me, and that 3 miles is saying she's on terrain, not the road. If she got to a road, at least for a period of time, she could likely manage a 20 minute mile walk pace, so that's potentially 5 miles. If she runs, it's farther.

9 y/os can run and run well if they see a need. A need to a 9 y/o is not the same as to an adult. I'm still thinking they are searching too close in, within 1 mile is too small an area.

Remember, though, that the weather was cold, there was snow on the ground and roadside meaning footing was less than ideal, and she wasn't wearing winter wear. That greatly decreases the amount of ground she is likely to have covered, I think. I did a quick check, and if she did indeed head north, and she stayed on S Rockerville Rd (rather than go off the road onto a little road or into the woods or hills), it is still over a mile from the compound to the nearest house. By then she would have been getting desperate to get warm.

I hope the Home and all homes along S Rockerville check all their buildings and out-buildings (like sheds) again, very thoroughly, in case she crawled into a corner somewhere.

As for nobody seeing her, I don't think there is much traffic on that road. And until she gets to that first house, and for most of the road after that even, there is nothing. Nobody would be around.

Sigh. Five days in that weather is ... unthinkable.

That's me, and that 3 miles is saying she's on terrain, not the road. If she got to a road, at least for a period of time, she could likely manage a 20 minute mile walk pace, so that's potentially 5 miles. If she runs, it's farther.

9 y/os can run and run well if they see a need. A need to a 9 y/o is not the same as to an adult. I'm still thinking they are searching too close in, within 1 mile is too small an area.

But the road / roadside was not idea walking, in the snow, if I understand the conditions at the time. There was that video taken along the roadside a mile or so away when it happened, and it was quite snow covered except right on the road. Even the little bit of traffic was going slowly, due to the snow. She would have to be constantly watching her footing. So I seriously doubt she could go more than 5 miles in those conditions. Especially with no coat. I think she could go further than 1, but anything beyond 5 is a real stretch in those conditions. Even as much as 3 miles would have been problematic in those conditions.

But I agree - I would widen the search area. If she was determined, getting outside the 1 mile radius would not be outside the realm of possibility.

I think on the day that she went missing, it was around 46 degrees, so she may have been warm enough to travel further away than a mile, until it got dark or cold. Does anyone know how long this road is, in terms of miles, before you hit any traffic?

Remember, though, that the weather was cold, there was snow on the ground and roadside meaning footing was less than ideal, and she wasn't wearing winter wear. That greatly decreases the amount of ground she is likely to have covered, I think. I did a quick check, and if she did indeed head north, and she stayed on S Rockerville Rd (rather than go off the road onto a little road or into the woods or hills), it is still over a mile from the compound to the nearest house. By then she would have been getting desperate to get warm.

I hope the Home and all homes along S Rockerville check all their buildings and out-buildings (like sheds) again, very thoroughly, in case she crawled into a corner somewhere.

As for nobody seeing her, I don't think there is much traffic on that road. And until she gets to that first house, and for most of the road after that even, there is nothing. Nobody would be around.

Sigh. Five days in that weather is ... unthinkable.

It’s so difficult for an experienced hiker to walk off the beaten path imo, the snow conceals all things that cause us to lose our footing. If she was not picked up, I think she’s not far off the beaten path & succumbed to the elements after falling. Such a tragic situation. MOO

This is such a deeply saddening situation for this little girl.

Hoping and praying that the authorities and searchers are able to find answers.

This is so heartbreaking.

"Searchers head back out Friday with specially training dogs to go over the territory near the children's home. Additional dogs and handlers are expected to arrive from out-of-state for the weekend."

Search resumes for missing 9-year-old girl in South Dakota

I think on the day that she went missing, it was around 46 degrees, so she may have been warm enough to travel further away than a mile, until it got dark or cold. Does anyone know how long this road is, in terms of miles, before you hit any traffic?
Going north, I think about five or six miles. There are a few houses along the way, but not many. It is pretty sparse.

Dear SkipperKey3,

Thank you for this information about S Rockerville Road being a "lesser-used road", and especially the fact that it is a "slower, twisty road".

Now I understand why there wouldn't have been a lot of vehicles on that road. I had been wondering how "busy" that particular road usually is.

I'm not sure if this will help anyone. Changing to satellite view, and zooming out, gives more perspective imo.

Google Maps

ETA: Picture of nearby roads
I see a park called Hippie Hole- it's really pretty with lots of water and hiking. It's about 2.5 miles from the Children's Home. Could she have walked there?

I don't know, most of these kids are neglected and delayed, not usually too skilled at planning. I would be interested in what other Residents were there, and their ages. And normally, they don't run away, they mostly like the stability, and food.

So many unknown variables here...why she was here, her background, family ties, if she has any disabilities, clinical or behavioral issues.

Seems more impulse behaviour rather than planned.
Serenity appears to be emotional and certainly impulsive but very smart. I have seen no indication that her situation involves abuse or neglect.

Her parents are still married as well, so unfortunately a custodial issue is not likely. I wish it was.

When I was in residential the staff was amazing and went above and beyond. Many of us are still friends on social media. I actually kept my therapist after I graduated. I hope this is a place like mine.

Thank you both, along with so many others, for any positive vibes. IMO so much needs exploring. And definitely need answering:

How is Serenity with any type of planning? Can she manage written and/or verbal directions? We cannot assume that she can, or can't, handle anything of this complexity. Would anyone be in a position to answer that? Would LE inquire into any abilities she would have demonstrated?

The food aspect. Was she a regular eater? Would she worry about food? For that matter, she was going out into 46(F) degree weather. Would she even think about the cold?

I just don't picture Serenity leaving any 'cleared', areas (ie. the road) even if she might be able to explore. Would she want to be on an adventure? Or trying to get to...somewhere?

I see a park called Hippie Hole- it's really pretty with lots of water and hiking. It's about 2.5 miles from the Children's Home. Could she have walked there?
So there is a house on S Rockerville Road that is one mile away. I am trying to er, drive or walk that road on Google maps, so far, it looks to be the closest. I am still trying to learn how to navigate this thing, bare with me, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helangel