ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is scary, I sure hope she was picked up. How for is this from a house, store and or town.

If she was picked up it must have been from a pre arranged person or somebody sinister saw her on the road. Just a "kind soul" would have called 911 immediately or at least by now. I hope if it was an arrangement, that person isn't just as sinister with their intentions and is truly just trying to help her out of a situation she was unhappy with. I have no faith in people these days!

I think it's terrifying that a group home that caters to children could allow a 9 year old to leave the facilities unnoticed or unstopped. I would assume in a place like that, there would be a greater risk of kids attempting to leave/escape.

Pennington County Sheriff's Office

Update in search for missing child

Pennington County, SD – Additional resources are now searching for a missing nine year old girl last seen at 11:20 am, Sunday, February 3, 2019, leaving the Children’s Home Society on South Rockerville Road. The Civil Air Patrol joined the rescue effort by air and ground Monday morning

We encourage anyone living in the Rockerville and Highway 16 area to search their outbuildings and property. If anyone has seen or had contact with Serenity Dennard, please contact the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office at (605) 394-6115

She´s been missing 24 hours...

I hope she is hiding in a building somewhere but even at that the wind-chill in that area is below 0 so she's in extreme danger from weather alone unless she was picked up by someone. If she was picked up, we would have to hope that it was a kind person.

Whispering Pines Volunteer Fire Department

Serenity Dennard

Update in search for missing child from the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office Pennington County, SD –

Additional resources are now searching for a missing nine year old girl last seen at 11:20 am, Sunday, February 3, 2019, leaving the Children’s Home Society on South Rockerville Road. The Civil Air Patrol joined the rescue effort by air and ground Monday morning. Serenity Dennard is described as a Caucasian female, 4’7”, 90 pounds, with blue eyes and shoulder length dirty blonde hair.

She was last seen wearing only a long sleeved grey shirt with flowers, blue jeans and snow boots. (Picture attached) Pennington County Deputies, Pennington County Search and Rescue, Custer County Search and Rescue, Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department, Rapid City Fire Department and at least three dogs searched the area until 10 pm Sunday. Searchers used hand-held thermal imaging devices. Deputies stayed all night patrolling the area and the search resumed with additional resources Monday at 7 am. We appreciate the public’s offer of help, but we have the professional staff we need and the option for additional resources.

The Pennington County Sheriff’s Office has been asked about issuing an Amber Alert. Currently, this does not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert, which includes credible evidence that a child under 18 years old has been abducted. We encourage anyone living in the Rockerville and Highway 16 area to search their outbuildings and property. If anyone has seen or had contact with Serenity Dennard, please contact the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office at (605) 394-6115.

Search continues for missing 9-year-old girl

upload_2019-2-4_18-50-31.jpeg

Would Serenity have been voluntarily entered into this facility by family? Or can young children be involuntarily committed? Would children be allowed off the premises with family at any time? Would these children have access to the internet or telephones?

Usually children of this age would be voluntarily placed in this type of facility for treatment, or for the safety of the child or for the safety of other children in the home.

If a child has violent tendencies or anger management issues the parents can make what I am sure is the difficult decision to voluntarily place the child. When this happens it is often because there are yournger or smaller children in the home who could be injured by violent outbursts.

Children can also be placed by CPS if it is decided the parents are not able to keep the child safely at home. For example, if the child had multiple escapes or inflicted harm or himself/herself.

Basically presser said they started looking about 11:30 am after serenity ran. 2 Staff got split up at the time serenity ran is the reason why she couldn’t be followed(2 kids would’ve been left alone. Multiple agencies looking and on back up to look to give fresh eyes after other people tire. Dogs and air searching being done. Also possible that serenity was picked up by a car to reason why she hasn’t been found.

I don't understand how they could see her on / near the road, but then she simply vanishes from sight before staff could reach her? How did they lose sight of her? How fast can a nine-year-old in snow boots run in snow / ice? Why was she wearing snow boots in the gym? In my experience working in elementary schools that had special education programs for emotionally impaired, autism spectrum, etc., when a child ran, a staff member immediately left other children with any other near by staff member and went in hot pursuit. Adult-child ratio rule was momentarily suspended in such emergency cases. I'm not very familiar with this type of institution, but I thought there were always two doors, one being of heavy metal and accessed only by a key card worn around the neck by authorized staff. How did she get from the gym and through the security doors? There are troubling aspects to this story, IMO. I hope they do a serious evaluation of their security procedures ASAP. As far as the director wanting to get Serenity back so they can continue helping her? Not on your life if she were my kid! I wouldn't even consider letting her near the place ever again! MOO.

I don't understand how they could see her on / near the road, but then she simply vanishes from sight before staff could reach her? How did they lose sight of her? How fast can a nine-year-old in snow boots run in snow / ice? Why was she wearing snow boots in the gym? In my experience working in elementary schools that had special education programs for emotionally impaired, autism spectrum, etc., when a child ran, a staff member immediately left other children with any other near by staff member and went in hot pursuit. Adult-child ratio rule was momentarily suspended in such emergency cases. I'm not very familiar with this type of institution, but I thought there were always two doors, one being of heavy metal and accessed only by a key card worn around the neck by authorized staff. How did she get from the gym and through the security doors? There are troubling aspects to this story, IMO. I hope they do a serious evaluation of their security procedures ASAP. As far as the director wanting to get Serenity back so they can continue helping her? Not on your life if she were my kid! I wouldn't even consider letting her near the place ever again! MOO.
Agree- my wife has been a teacher for 25 years and she sometimes gets "runners". They bolt for no apparent reason. The procedure is you have to keep eyes on them and chase. It is really odd that she was able to get out and not be missed or pursued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahartley1978