ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article:

Seven specialty dog teams -- many from out of state -- combed the woods and deputies surveyed the territory form a helicopter. But by late Sunday afternoon, a sober reality was sinking in as authorities wound down the big weekend push.

The out of town dog teams headed home Sunday after a grueling two days.

"We had some dogs with some cuts on their pads and their feet," said Whelchel. "They're just wore out. They're tired. They covered a lot of ground but the terrain has been really hard on the dogs, especially today."

Authorities say they will regroup on Monday to devise a plan for further searches but are resigned to the reality that they need some help from Mother Nature.

"The first thing we need to happen is we need it to warm up," said Whelchel. "We need to get some of this snow off the ground, that would really help. These cold temperatures are just making it so hard for the dogs and obviously the people that are involved in this and we just need to get a break in the weather."

Unfortunately, if no one picked her up, she would have succumbed to hypothermia that first day. Temps do not have to be freezing for hypothermia to occur. It can even happen inside a cold house.

But they must find her body. Otherwise, how can we know for certain that nobody picked her up? At this point, when we know she would be long past saving if she remained outside (or even in an unoccupied and unheated building somewhere), that is my worst fear.

I really had hoped that today would be the day that she was found. :(
My heart aches like I know her, far worse than any of the other cases I've studied . This case touched my heart so deeply that I didn't even sleuth the usual players, I left it alone . Her family must be devastated ! :(
I pray that she's found /recovered soon so her family can have closure and begin the grieving process/ healing process.
This poor girl :(

The road out to the home is not a well traveled road unless you live out there or work out there.....and yes it is designed to be a home not institution or prison. The staff is well trained on protocol...I'm sure not one person that works there expected this outcome. I have worked with kids for many years and those of you that also have know you don't do it for the money because childcare and teachers are not paid what they should be...you do it because you love kids....the kids you work with become "your kids" please don't put blame on the staff they are heartbroken

Dear @Monkey boy,

Your insight and knowledge is greatly appreciated!

I'm very glad you are on this thread. Thank you.

It would be nice if everyone's questions could be answered...what was serenity thinking? Why did she run? Why did she go outside? Was she angry? Was she sad? Was she upset with her parents? It's so sad but only Serenity can answer those questions
The staff at the home is asking themselves the same questions and they are devastated.... The what ifs are what keep you up at night and we all have them
Agree. The two workers that were in charge of Serenity and her group have to be absolutely beyond devastated. I hope and pray that they are receiving counseling for this. We can't even begin to understand their nightmare- if she is deceased, they will be wracked with guilt for the rest of their lives, even though from what I can see, they followed the proper procedures for a situation like this. My heart is really aching for them- I sure would not want to be in their shoes. This would be enough to cause the both of them PTSD for sure.

Is there any way I can help from home?
Pray.
Keep sharing her photo on any social media you have, just in case she might have found a ride or was kidnapped by someone along that road.
Donations of money might help with the searchers, not sure though as to where one could donate- maybe on their websites? The have had dogs, CAP, SAR, to name a few along with LE searching on a daily basis.

Dear @Monkey boy,

Your insight and knowledge is greatly appreciated!

I'm very glad you are on this thread. Thank you.
Agree. The two workers that were in charge of Serenity and her group have to be absolutely beyond devastated. I hope and pray that they are receiving counseling for this. We can't even begin to understand their nightmare- if she is deceased, they will be wracked with guilt for the rest of their lives, even though from what I can see, they followed the proper procedures for a situation like this. My heart is really aching for them- I sure would not want to be in their shoes. This would be enough to cause the both of them PTSD for sure.
thank you so much for this post.....

BBM

People keep saying that they believe 911 wasn't called for so long because they thought she was still in the building, but they were told by the woman visitor that she was outside at about 11:00. Why would they continue looking for her indoors for another 90 minutes before calling? Some things just don't make sense to me right now.
I think someone on HERE said that they looked for her inside the building, that was not reported by MSM. The 2nd worker called for help, just like she was supposed to, right after she made sure the other two children were in a safe place with her. The first worker came back with the first child that ran off, then went after Serenity. You have to remember- it takes a bit to get a search going- the alert goes out to other workers, they have to make sure their children are safe with another worker or two, then go and search. Searches are inside ALL buildings as well as outside. It is very rare that a child is gone this long, they usually find them within minutes. If after they have searched all over the grounds and inside all the buildings and they can't find the missing child, then they call LE.

I was told cell phone service is not good there, I don't know if that had anything to do with the delay. I know that they all spring into action once they all get alerted.

I don't know if anything sinister happened here. I just only know that from what I have read on MSM- statements by LE, that the workers followed the right protocol.

We all have ideas, we all have questions, we're all upset and angry that Serenity has not be found yet. We all want answers. But at the end of the day, this is the first time, from my own research on the internet, that I can see, that this has ever happened where a child has not been found at this home.

We need to realize that these workers are human beings, just like the rest of us. We can't even say that any of them made any mistakes! If they followed proper protocol and did everything humanely possible to find her, how can we sit back and judge them?

Last edited:
thank you so much for this post.....
Just know, I only trained for a few weeks and helped once in a search for a missing child, who was found about 10 minutes later. I wasn't even there to work- just train, and my heart was in my mouth! I just can't imagine what those poor workers are going through right now- just devastating for them. That's why I just can't gang up on them. I don't believe that they are at fault.

The only question that I have is who said that they called 911 immediately after she was reported missing. The Director? That is my only complaint that I want an answer to. I refuse to blame the workers in this, they followed the right protocols.

Who delayed in making this call? Did they not realize that LE would know exactly when that call came in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malik562