ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
South Dakota (U.S. National Park Service)
This link has a list of National Parks in SD.
I don’t know if any of them are anywhere near CHS, though....
I’m not well versed in US geography :p
Additionally...
There is a terrific, and quite large, SD State Park south of Sturgis...
Central to Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Badlands, and Wall... Among other interesting sights...

It is called Custer State Park...

Though I doubt it has much to do with Serenity's disappearance...

On the outside chance it is...

Here is a website for y'all to peruse...

Custer State Park | South Dakota Game, Fish, and Parks

CUSTER STATE PARK, SD

My top questions have nothing to do with why she ran. I think these type of facilities must be prepared for kids to escape, considering the reasons the children are admitted there.

What is the protocol for children who leave the building?

Why did they wait 90 minutes before calling 911? Is this the protocol?

Were there security measures in place?

Were cameras not adequate for the weather conditions or out of service?

1) Serenity was in a group with 3 other children and 2 caregivers. One child in the group ran so the caregiver went after that child. Serenity then ran as well. The other caregiver couldn’t leave the other 2 kids unsupervised so they called for help. Serenity was chased after but, they couldn’t catch her once she ran into the hallway leaving the gym.

2) IMO, 911 wasn’t called right away because the facility initially assumed Serenity was still in the building. I would guess that time was spent looking for her in the facility. Children run and hide all the time so it wasn’t an emergency situation right away. They figured they would find her hiding in a familiar spot and all would be good.

3) Not sure what you mean by security measures. This facility has no fences around it. It’s a residential home and fences would make it feel more like a prison which can be off putting for some of the children who are living there. The doors are remain unlocked as well for fire code reasons.

4) I can’t answer the camera question as I am not even sure if they had any on the outside of the building Serenity ran from.

JMO

1) Serenity was in a group with 3 other children and 2 caregivers. One child in the group ran so the caregiver went after that child. Serenity then ran as well. The other caregiver couldn’t leave the other 2 kids unsupervised so they called for help. Serenity was chased after but, they couldn’t catch her once she ran into the hallway leaving the gym.

2) IMO, 911 wasn’t called right away because the facility initially assumed Serenity was still in the building. I would guess that time was spent looking for her in the facility. Children run and hide all the time so it wasn’t an emergency situation right away. They figured they would find her hiding in a familiar spot and all would be good.

3) Not sure what you mean by security measures. This facility has no fences around it. It’s a residential home and fences would make it feel more like a prison which can be off putting for some of the children who are living there. The doors are remain unlocked as well for fire code reasons.

4) I can’t answer the camera question as I am not even sure if they had any on the outside of the building Serenity ran from.

JMO
I would rather a 911 call be premature, than made too late.

My top questions have nothing to do with why she ran. I think these type of facilities must be prepared for kids to escape, considering the reasons the children are admitted there.

What is the protocol for children who leave the building?

Why did they wait 90 minutes before calling 911? Is this the protocol?

Were there security measures in place?

Were cameras not adequate for the weather conditions or out of service?
BBM

People keep saying that they believe 911 wasn't called for so long because they thought she was still in the building, but they were told by the woman visitor that she was outside at about 11:00. Why would they continue looking for her indoors for another 90 minutes before calling? Some things just don't make sense to me right now.

JMO

1. Security measures would include a buzzer or bell indicator on doors to alert if someone is entering or leaving. Staff would have been alerted that she had left the building.

2. Didn’t a parent see Serenity outside as she was dropping off another child? And that she noticed staff she saw a child outside the facility?That was reported on several news sites.

3. This facility should have cameras. Even regular schools, daycares, etc. have cameras.

BBM

People keep saying that they believe 911 wasn't called for so long because they thought she was still in the building, but they were told by the woman visitor that she was outside at about 11:00. Why would they continue looking for her indoors for another 90 minutes before calling? Some things just don't make sense to me right now.

Yes, this.

It seems that this is a situation that didn’t have to happen. IMO.

BBM

You’re right.
I knew another person had seen her after she left the gym, but I couldn’t remember the time.
That doesn’t make sense then (searching for another 90 minutes before calling 911)...unless there’s something we’re all missing here.

IMO

1. Security measures would include a buzzer or bell indicator on doors to alert if someone is entering or leaving. Staff would have been alerted that she had left the building.

2. Didn’t a parent see Serenity outside as she was dropping off another child? And that she noticed staff she saw a child outside the facility?That was reported on several news sites.

3. This facility should have cameras. Even regular schools, daycares, etc. have cameras.

Yes, a parent did see Serenity outside.
I just couldn’t remember how long after Serenity left the gym she was seen.

The road out to the home is not a well traveled road unless you live out there or work out there.....and yes it is designed to be a home not institution or prison. The staff is well trained on protocol...I'm sure not one person that works there expected this outcome. I have worked with kids for many years and those of you that also have know you don't do it for the money because childcare and teachers are not paid what they should be...you do it because you love kids....the kids you work with become "your kids" please don't put blame on the staff they are heartbroken

BBM

I have seen a better response for a loose dog at Petsmart.

Two dogs playing get tangled up and both owners attempt to untangle leads.

One dog runs toward the back of the store.

The other dog takes the opportunity to run the other direction.

Petsmart employee instantly yells the alert: DOGS LOOSE! DOGS LOOSE!!”

Following protocol, one employee runs to the front door and locks it.

Employee at the register announces on PA: LOOSE DOGS, all employees”

Another employee asks everyone to stand still. Assures everyone the door is locked so the dogs can’t get in or out.

Both dogs safely caught and returned to owners.

They were prepared with a plan, a protocol, and practice. They also have a plan if a loose dog gets out the door.

The road out to the home is not a well traveled road unless you live out there or work out there.....and yes it is designed to be a home not institution or prison. The staff is well trained on protocol...I'm sure not one person that works there expected this outcome. I have worked with kids for many years and those of you that also have know you don't do it for the money because childcare and teachers are not paid what they should be...you do it because you love kids....the kids you work with become "your kids" please don't put blame on the staff they are heartbroken

Not blaming the staff, if they were following protocol just wondering why the protocol is the way it apparently is.

If the home is in the middle of nowhere all the more reason to have security cameras. For the safety of those inside as well, in case someone who intended harm arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RABay1735