Sect to forbid underage marriage...

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe their school should be required to do the no child left behind testing that all the other schools in this country have to administer.

Aren't they homeschoolers? Do other Texas homeschoolers have to administer that test? I know we don't here in GA. I don't think they should be required to do anything beyond meeting the standard TX homsechooling laws.

Aren't they homeschoolers? Do other Texas homeschoolers have to administer that test? I know we don't here in GA. I don't think they should be required to do anything beyond meeting the standard TX homsechooling laws.
I doubt they'll have to meet anything other than any other Texan who is homeschooling and whatever tests they have to administer. However, if those children are being schooled only until the 8th grade, then they should be mandated to provide them with education albeit homeschooled, through the 12th.

I doubt they'll have to meet anything other than any other Texan who is homeschooling and whatever tests they have to administer. However, if those children are being schooled only until the 8th grade, then they should be mandated to provide them with education albeit homeschooled, through the 12th.

What do TX laws require in that regard? Do homeschoolers in TX have to educate through 12th grade? Close friends of ours here in GA homeschool via a method called unschooling - no curriculum or anything.

What do TX laws require in that regard? Do homeschoolers in TX have to educate through 12th grade? Close friends of ours here in GA homeschool via a method called unschooling - no curriculum or anything.
Perhaps one of our Texas sleuthers can enlighten us on that?

I don't know the TX homeschooling laws but I think if children in our public school system have to take end of grade tests, all students should have to take them, home schooled or not (and in all 50 states).

I'm also wondering about schooling only until the 8th grade. In NC, you have to be 16 to drop out of school. Does TX have the same kind of law? I don't think many are 16 in the 8th grade.

I don't know the TX homeschooling laws but I think if children in our public school system have to take end of grade tests, all students should have to take them, home schooled or not (and in all 50 states).

I'm also wondering about schooling only until the 8th grade. In NC, you have to be 16 to drop out of school. Does TX have the same kind of law? I don't think many are 16 in the 8th grade.

Yes - these are the sort of questions I am asking too, SD. Maybe I will quit being lazy and go do some research.:)

I am a big fan of homeschooling with very limited government interference (ie - I surely don't think kids should have to take state tests - they don't have to take them in other "private" schools). I don't think GA requires tests. I'll see what I can find on Google about TX.

Texas Education Code For Homeschooling

Parental responsibility protected & upheld by the Texas Constitution.
The Governor of Texas says: "In Texas, we view home schooling as something to be respected and protected - respected for the energy and commitment of parents; protected from the interference of government. Texas does not index or monitor home school programs."
This is not intended to be legal advice and is distributed for information purposes only. At this point in time, in spite of the title of this page, there is no education code applicable to homeschooling in Texas. Parental responsibility is protected & upheld by the Texas Constitution. The Texas legislature is given authority over the public free school system only; furthermore, the Texas Education Code is specifically designed for and applicable only to state tax funded educational institutions, per its applicability section which is quoted below.

Compulsory attendance - Between 6 and 17 years of age.

1. Legislature given authority over public free school system only
  2. Texas Education Code specifically designed for and applicable o state tax funded educational institutions only
  3. No minimum number of days taught per year.
  4. No testing requirements.
  5. No formal filing required, though recommended you tell the school's office you are withdrawing your child.
You are not required to file any papers or notify anyone that you are homeschooling your children in Texas. If they are already enrolled in a public school, you can tell the school's office that the child is going to be homeschooled or is going to be attending a private school. In Texas, a homeschool is a private school. Some districts may want to give you a hard time, but you have every legal right to homeschool without their blessings.

more at link http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/laws/blTX.htm

So, it looks like no testing, minimum days, formal filing or anything in TX if this is current. But when I read at the site further, it does seem to conflict with some unschooling philosophies. I am going to look into that a little more.

Yes - these are the sort of questions I am asking too, SD. Maybe I will quit bneing lazy and go do some research.:)

I am a big fan of homeschooling with very limited government interference (ie - I surely don't think kids should have to take state tests - they don't have to take them in other "private" schools). I don't think GA requires tests. I'll see what I can find on Google about TX.

I didn't realize private schools didn't have to take the tests either. Maybe they should have to just to make sure they are on grade level.

In some states, homeschoolers do have to take a test now and then. Not sure which tests those are.

This site gives a great overview of the Texas homeschool laws: http://www.carwrecks.com/homeschool.html.

They are very liberal, though the legislature does not define "bona fide curriculum." However, it sounds like if you are truly unschooling without a set curriculum, they probably won't give you any grief.

I would think the FLDS could label any instruction past 8th grade "unschooling" - which is just a term for learning by living/doing.

I didn't realize private schools didn't have to take the tests either. Maybe they should have to just to make sure they are on grade level.

In some states, homeschoolers do have to take a test now and then. Not sure which tests those are.

I do not think private schoolers or homeschoolers should have to take any such tests, but I know that some states (few though - not the majority) do require it.

I do not think private schoolers or homeschoolers should have to take any such tests, but I know that some states (few though - not the majority) do require it.

It seems like the state, by requiring an education to a certain age, would want proof that the child is actually learning and not just playing. It surprises me that most states do not require any testing of home schoolers.

SCM, from your link:

Now children must attend school from age 6 through 18.

----

If the FLDS don't school past the 8th grade, they are in violation. I do get what you are saying about unschooling (learning by living, doing) but is that the same as studying a set curriculum?

My feeling is that home schoolers should have to meet minimum requirements for the grade level and the only way to be sure the home schooling is done in a "bona fide manner" is administering tests. They could be administered by the parent who is doing the home schooling.

SCM, from your link:

----

If the FLDS don't school past the 8th grade, they are in violation. I do get what you are saying about unschooling (learning by living, doing) but is that the same as studying a set curriculum?

My feeling is that home schoolers should have to meet minimum requirements for the grade level and the only way to be sure the home schooling is done in a "bona fide manner" is administering tests. They could be administered by the parent who is doing the home schooling.

That was my question, SD (about the unschooling). The way I read it, unschooling is not prohibited by the Texas case law because "bonafide curriculum" is undefined - and there are plenty of bonfide unschoolers out there. In any event, what I read also seems to state that it would be very very rare for the state to come check out the curriculum. It would not be difficult to call what you are doing unschooling through age 18 - if that was a hoop you had to jump through. (thinking of the FLDS here)

With unschooling, testing would be difficult, IMHO. Some unschoolers don't have children who learn to read until much later than the average - and - with no set curriculum, they learn things at different times and perhaps a different rate.

While I understand that there are abuses of "homsechooling," my strong belief is that the government needs to remain as hands off as possible. Private schools (parents!) should be able to instruct as they see fit and not according to our government's standards. Some homeschool, in part, to get away from the arbitrary silliness of "testing."

I do understand that SCM but it seems that if the majority of the children in this country have to show they have met certain standards then all of them should have to. Otherwise, just drop the testing done in the public schools so it will be fair to all.

I do understand that SCM but it seems that if the majority of the children in this country have to show they have met certain standards then all of them should have to. Otherwise, just drop the testing done in the public schools so it will be fair to all.

I am fine with dropping public school testing. I think it's a bunch of hooey (is that a word?):crazy:! I feel like there should always be options outside the structure of compulsory government schools that are completely free from the rules and regulations of those schools. Hence, private schools!:blowkiss:

They should both be tested. A child should be guarenteed a certain level of education if at all possible (barring extremely low IQ or other mental issues) in this society. Some parent who decides they never needed to learn to read so their child doesn't either should not be able to neglect their child to that degree. Reading to a 10th grade level, writing, reasonable math, history, science, etc. should never be an option. I knew about homeschooling - but never that it was so lax on what it requires from parents.

And every citizen should learn what the government requires from them too - taxes, laws, all that civics course stuff that tells you how the country you live in operates. Especially when the parents don't want their kids to know.

They should both be tested. A child should be guarenteed a certain level of education if at all possible (barring extremely low IQ or other mental issues) in this society. Some parent who decides they never needed to learn to read so their child doesn't either should not be able to neglect their child to that degree. Reading to a 10th grade level, writing, reasonable math, history, science, etc. should never be an option. I knew about homeschooling - but never that it was so lax on what it requires from parents.

And every citizen should learn what the government requires from them too - taxes, laws, all that civics course stuff that tells you how the country you live in operates. Especially when the parents don't want their kids to know.
And with the requirement that one has to have a high school diploma for employment, that's just as important. I've heard of employers sending new employees to courses to teach them to read or write/spell properly, skills they should have learned either in school or at home if home schooled. Most companies won't go to that trouble, they'll just hire someone else.

The flds employ only their own and thus a diploma doesn't seem to be required by their workers, children or otherwise. That's a distinct handicap to those that become "lost boys" or the girls who choose not to follow the strictures of that sect and leave.

Ah, now I see. The wording of his statement is key. They'll marry according to the law in whichever state they are in. Utah, it's age 14 according to Lisa Bloom's show in TruTv.
So they'll just continue what they want to do. Since the law in Texas says you can marry with parental consent earlier than 18 they'll just get the parents to sign off on the younger marriage.
Here is where I am confused... since they can only legally marry one time, would a parent be able to consent for a "spiritual marriage", for an underage person to have sex with a much older person?

I'm not just asking you.. I am just curious. In PA, I think it would be illegal for a 30 yr old to have sex with a 15 yr old.

SCM, from your link:

----

That is odd... in PA, my mother never made it past 8th grade. Arlen Specter has always been an advocate for the rights of our local Amish.. he is a big voice though. FLDS does not have a Specter on their side just yet, I suppose. I wonder why the FLDS would be in violation for not schooling past the 8th grade, yet with the Amish, it is a given that they quit school after 8th grade.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech
Back