Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back from a weekend road trip to the mountains of WV (about 700 miles RT), to say a last goodbye to my father's tucked in a mountain meadow cabin, his close enough to the river to hear it whisper and roar depending on the season house, the refuge I trekked up a dusty gravelled dirt road to visit most summers for over 40 years, the cabin where I last saw my father alive.

My father's gone and the cabin is going now too, being sold to good hearted folks who will preserve that sanctuary my father built with river stone and felled native WV trees, and who have promised as well to leave untouched the wild flower and grasses meadow my father planted seed by seed, meadow restoration being one of his life works.

The photos were taken along the way. The gravestones are of WV soldiers who were killed in the Civil War, the chair in the shack is a bus stop, the mist & trees were in the Cheat River Valley, the tomato company sign is the back panel of a truck that hasn't been driven in quite a long while. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20160918_215738.jpg
    IMG_20160918_215738.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20160918_112734.jpg
    IMG_20160918_112734.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20160917_214448.jpg
    IMG_20160917_214448.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20160917_144736.jpg
    IMG_20160917_144736.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20160918_215605.jpg
    IMG_20160918_215605.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 39
Hi my WS friends! I am visiting Mesa area but my girlfriend thinks I'm too crazy wanting to go by Travis' house! LOL. What a beautiful place this is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you go to TA's house?? If you're still out that way...are you heading towards Vegas by any chance? Let us know if so-- maybe you could go via 93 and Hoover Dam? :D

Back from a weekend road trip to the mountains of WV (about 700 miles RT), to say a last goodbye to my father's tucked in a mountain meadow cabin, his close enough to the river to hear it whisper and roar depending on the season house, the refuge I trekked up a dusty gravelled dirt road to visit most summers for over 40 years, the cabin where I last saw my father alive.

My father's gone and the cabin is going now too, being sold to good hearted folks who will preserve that sanctuary my father built with river stone and felled native WV trees, and who have promised as well to leave untouched the wild flower and grasses meadow my father planted seed by seed, meadow restoration being one of his life works.

The photos were taken along the way. The gravestones are of WV soldiers who were killed in the Civil War, the chair in the shack is a bus stop, the mist & trees were in the Cheat River Valley, the tomato company sign is the back panel of a truck that hasn't been driven in quite a long while. ;)

What a lovely way to speak of a home and a dad's legacy. Your father has a spirited and thoughtful daughter. Be well.

Did you go to TA's house?? If you're still out that way...are you heading towards Vegas by any chance? Let us know if so-- maybe you could go via 93 and Hoover Dam? :D

Capital idea, H4M, to use a Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew fave. We could use some more route sleuthing. I think you got pretty much all the house and neighborhood photos that would be needed by Bunny Sister WS-ers, but we definitely could have another go at hashing out the Mesa to SLC trip.

If someone uses their cell phone at Arizona Last Stop, do you think we could get the same pings as ? That might be worth figuring out. We could also try the "gap through the mountains", but that didn't seem likely to meet the forensic specs.

While we're at it.....maybe we need someone to do the SLC-Redding-Yreka leg? In a rented white Focus? With gas cans in the back? With a blonde wig?

I can't think why that car didn't reek of gas when Budget cleaned it out. There must have been gas fumes in every thread of carpet and upholstery.

Gosh, I just googled a method for removing gas fumes, and the googlebot came up with ways to remove the aroma of "breaking wind". :floorlaugh:

One of the best features of the TA case, IMO, is that we aren't squeezed into the narrow confines of a house. Not like the JBR case where a cast of thousands of amateur sleuths is veritably tripping all over one another with opinions, not to mention the multitudes on the day of the murder tripping over the body haphazardly strewn in the hallway. Very claustrophobic. Bizarre.

Instead, we get to do long-distance mock ups with up-to-the-moment sleuth input and photos on site. Hard to beat that. Yes, we all could do with another trip.

Speaking of trips, why did TA and go to Havasupai? They couldn't have just ticked off the Grand Canyon experience in their book by going to the National Park? If they felt compelled to sleep there, they could have gone camping or slept at a lodge. I'm not planning a trip to Half-a-soup-pie to test out the whys and wherefores, but now I'm curious. probably persuaded TA to go there thinking it would be romantic. And then maybe he insisted on the Freemans as chaperones and killed her whole concept? Fat lot of good they did: she was all over TA despite ' deeply-embedded Mormon sensibilities. She probably picked that big fight just so she could have alone time with TA, along with the "makeup sex" she fantasized about in the trial.

Hi H4M, just wanted to tell you that your post above about WV is so poignant and well written. We all need a little memory lane trip now and again, especially those trips that remind us of such happy days gone by. My mom passed away 3 years ago @ 89. She loved winter coats, and had several that I took with me from her home just because. Shortly after she passed I was checking the pockets and Lo and behold found one of her little hankerchiefs - white, with an embroidered flower, smelled like my mom (thankfully it was clean, lol) . That hankerchief is still in that coat pocket upstairs and when I feel alittle nostalgic I go up there, find it and hold it to my face and just take a moment to remember her.
It's hard to let go of those pieces of our past, I know. Love the pics, especially of the mist on the river.

I re-read parts of Juan's book over the weekend. There are so many things about this case we don't know! Not really that many new details about the trial we didn't already know in his book.
Hopefully all the documents will be unsealed after her appeal and we'll have access to more. Maybe in 10 years or so, lol.
Reading some of TA & the killer's texts - she must really have bugged the crap out of him. Was re-reading the May 26 chat too. I wonder what that argument was about - where he said she "scammed" him. The "you are the worst thing that has happened to me" chat. Had to do with that sex tape- blackmail?

The Cheat River & valley....

Hadn't intended to travel back into so many memories, but had to detour to the Cheat River Road because of a bad accident.

Back, way back when, I used to compete in white water kayak slalom racing, and the Cheat was one of the rivers we ran every spring after snowmelt (class 3-4).

Attachments

• IMG_20160919_085254.jpg
    IMG_20160919_085254.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20160919_001536.jpg
    IMG_20160919_001536.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20160919_085444.jpg
    IMG_20160919_085444.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20160919_085116.jpg
    IMG_20160919_085116.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 24
Saturday was Veterans Appreciation Day in WV. There are many veterans to appreciate in WV, because a (disproportionally) large number of West Virginians have fought in every major war in which the US has been involved.

The WV national cemetery was, like Gettysburg's where Lincoln gave that exquisite speech, a product of the civil war. Every state has a national cemetery for veterans who have served their country.

The grave markers on green rolling hills are in Grafton's second national cemetery. The first ran out of room. The new cemetery has acres of available space.

At cemetery 2, I sat down on a stone bench and talked for a long while with two gentlemen; a 84 year old Korean vet and his younger friend, a Vietnam vet, the only other people there early on a Sunday morning.

They were both sure of several things- that the fall election was why roads in town were finally getting repaired, and that the empty acres of cemetery will be filled.

-----
Bailey Brown, the first soldier killed in the Civil War. He was shot while on patrol near Grafton, by a Confederate soldier returning Brown's fire.

The sign prohibiting picnics and fast carriages in national cemeteries-- picnicking in large groups in cemeteries was actually commonplace through the end of the 19th century on into the early 20th.

Attachments

• IMG_20160919_090048.jpg
    IMG_20160919_090048.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20160919_090700.jpg
    IMG_20160919_090700.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20160919_090434.jpg
    IMG_20160919_090434.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 22
Hi H4M, just wanted to tell you that your post above about WV is so poignant and well written. We all need a little memory lane trip now and again, especially those trips that remind us of such happy days gone by. My mom passed away 3 years ago @ 89. She loved winter coats, and had several that I took with me from her home just because. Shortly after she passed I was checking the pockets and Lo and behold found one of her little hankerchiefs - white, with an embroidered flower, smelled like my mom (thankfully it was clean, lol) . That hankerchief is still in that coat pocket upstairs and when I feel alittle nostalgic I go up there, find it and hold it to my face and just take a moment to remember her.
It's hard to let go of those pieces of our past, I know. Love the pics, especially of the mist on the river.

((Salberg)). I understand. I'm glad you have a pocket you can reach into to retrieve memories of your mother.

Saturday was Veterans Appreciation Day in WV. There are many veterans to appreciate in WV, because a (disproportionally) large number of West Virginians have fought in every major war in which the US has been involved.

The WV national cemetery was, like Gettysburg's where Lincoln gave that exquisite speech, a product of the civil war. Every state has a national cemetery for veterans who have served their country.

The grave markers on green rolling hills are in Grafton's second national cemetery. The first ran out of room. The new cemetery has acres of available space.

At cemetery 2, I sat down on a stone bench and talked for a long while with two gentlemen; a 84 year old Korean vet and his younger friend, a Vietnam vet, the only other people there early on a Sunday morning.

They were both sure of several things- that the fall election was why roads in town were finally getting repaired, and that the empty acres of cemetery will be filled.

-----
Bailey Brown, the first soldier killed in the Civil War. He was shot while on patrol near Grafton, by a Confederate soldier returning Brown's fire.

The sign prohibiting picnics and fast carriages in national cemeteries-- picnicking in large groups in cemeteries was actually commonplace through the end of the 19th century on into the early 20th.

Picnics in the cemetery are a traditional practice in northern New England. The cemeteries are located in the places with the best views.

H4M, you are so cute. I would LOVE to do that but I flew here so stuck in this area, which is fine lol. I am thinking of moving here so if I do I can do some real sleuthing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-----

BBM

This is interesting to me. West Virginia, along with Maine, are two of the whitest states, and both of them have the fewest hispanics per capita in the country (almost equally, like .2%).

I wonder how they feel about that? Do they adhere to the idea that immigrants are taking over? Also, I'm wondering how they feel about the death knell now being sounded regarding the coal industry, which sustained many families for decades—albeit at a very heavy personal (health) price—but which now seems irredeemably doomed.

Just curious if you got a sense of the pulse in those communities in this weird election year...

I'm posting the photos below to reply to your question, Gigi, not as an expression of my own preferences or politics, and not to discuss politics per se (somehow managed to not quote your post, sorry).

** The Hillary Clinton sign is the only one I saw in the 3 states I travelled through. I lost count of pro-Trump signs in WV- hundreds and hundreds, mostly yard signs.

** Jim Justice is running for governor of WV.

**. I saw more Confederate flags on this trip than I did in the days of driving through the South to go west this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20160919_213235.jpg
    IMG_20160919_213235.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20160918_130555466_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160918_130555466_HDR.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20160919_213502.jpg
    IMG_20160919_213502.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20160917_144853.jpg
    IMG_20160917_144853.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 26
An inside corner of "the smallest church in 48 states," a department store sign, a glimpse of back road Appalachia.

Attachments

• IMG_20160917_214918.jpg
    IMG_20160917_214918.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20160919_213614.jpg
    IMG_20160919_213614.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20160917_195506.jpg
    IMG_20160917_195506.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20160917_144616.jpg
    IMG_20160917_144616.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 34
OK...two curiosities.

** On the Superior Court docket (precious little activity there since her case concluded)-- a "Note from the Attorney General," dated August 23, 2016.

Movement in the AG's secret investigation?

** And, on the COA docket, another curiosity. The 's attorneys have now asked for 20 supplemental transcripts. One of two recently granted supplements is for a portion of a sealed case status hearing on April 30, 2013.

Present at the sealed hearing were 5 persons appearing in some capacity for the city of Gilbert, AZ. Of the five, three were LE- an officer, a lieutenant, and a sergeant.

Eh? What could that have been about?

In a separate portion of the status conference, also sealed, MDLR's pay was discussed, but doubt that was related to the Gilbert discussion (MDLR was paid for 100 hours work during the guilt phase of the trial- --$5,500 before taxes).

OK...two curiosities.

** On the Superior Court docket (precious little activity there since her case concluded)-- a "Note from the Attorney General," dated August 23, 2016.

Movement in the AG's secret investigation?

** And, on the COA docket, another curiosity. The 's attorneys have now asked for 20 supplemental transcripts. One of two recently granted supplements is for a portion of a sealed case status hearing on April 30, 2013.

Present at the sealed hearing were 5 persons appearing in some capacity for the city of Gilbert, AZ. Of the five, three were LE- an officer, a lieutenant, and a sergeant.

Eh? What could that have been about?

In a separate portion of the status conference, also sealed, MDLR's pay was discussed, but doubt that was related to the Gilbert discussion (MDLR was paid for 100 hours work during the guilt phase of the trial- --$5,500 before taxes).

How did Gilbert enter the picture?

That status conference IIRC must have been towards the end of the guilt phase? Did it have to do with the juror who got a DUI? It sounds like too many officials for that.

The sleuth is on....

How did Gilbert enter the picture?

That status conference IIRC must have been towards the end of the guilt phase? Did it have to do with the juror who got a DUI? It sounds like too many officials for that.

The sleuth is on....

RickSis delivers the sleuthing. :). Yep, the Gilbert thing must have been about that juror.

The 's attorneys seem to be going through the entire trial, day by day, requesting everything, sealed or not, relevant to appeals or not.

RickSis delivers the sleuthing. :). Yep, the Gilbert thing must have been about that juror.

The 's attorneys seem to be going through the entire trial, day by day, requesting everything, sealed or not, relevant to appeals or not.

Uh huh. I can't imagine the Gilbert scenario would be appealable unless decided she should have had that juror and he would have voted a lesser charge (I believe he said he would have voted for conviction as charged). Just as a note, I'm impressed that JSS involved that many individuals in deciding whether to remove that juror. Man, she had her bases covered. I suppose could try to argue that his DUI was somehow prejudicial, he fanned the flames of publicity, etc. But in fact, he kept quiet until the trial was over. He was definitely no idiot.

MDLR only worked that many hours in the guilt phase? How is that possible? That would be enough to cause most anyone with a smidgen of an unethical streak to resort to bribes.

What case at Superior Court was the AG note in reference to? doesn't have an open case in Superior Court, surely? If it pertained to her case, would that item be in the transcripts for the Appeal? Maybe it just reflects an ongoing investigation and AG just put it in there so it would be a matter of record in the appeal? A legal way of sticking it to ?

Maybe I should change my user name to RickSis? We don't seem to have migrated very far.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia