Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would like to see the entire letter Juan was sent to notify him of his firing. The part I read was vague on specific details, (other than what we know of the court stenographer) and hopefully it listed other concrete examples of his behavior that generated complaints. I look forward to reading Juan's appeal, but I think he has a mountain to climb to win. Such a shame that his career is over.

Probably because of the circus he made of her trial.

Not only do I disagree with this opinion, but more basically, I reject that there is any basis in objective reality to base it upon.

Juan Martinez didn't approach this trial differently than any other trial he had prosecuted over the course of his decades long career. He didn't choose the DT's defense strategy of sex sex sex and let's accuse the completely vunerable, naked in the shower, stabbed dozens of times and nearly decapitated victim of being a violent DV abuser and pedophile; and didn't, to state the painfully obvious, have any control whatsoever on what the malignant narcissistic defendant he successfully and CLEANLY prosecuted did or said to worm her way out of being held accountable for her slaughter of Travis Alexander.

And last, Juan Martinez bore no responsibility for either the fact a judge utterly inexperienced in DP trials was assigned to oversee the butcherer's trial, or that the DT's defense of sex sex sex drew media and audiences like flies to a steaming pile of shi-t.

Reality is that the trial of Travis Alexander's butcherer was no greater or less a "circus" than any any other high profile murder trial. The assertion that it was anything especially circus-y was largely advanced by the DT, to intimidate JSS and to lay grounds for appeal, and by the likes of Michael Kiefer, a fervent opponent of the DP......and of Juan Martinez.

Last edited:
I would like to see the entire letter Juan was sent to notify him of his firing. The part I read was vague on specific details, (other than what we know of the court stenographer) and hopefully it listed other concrete examples of his behavior that generated complaints. I look forward to reading Juan's appeal, but I think he has a mountain to climb to win. Such a shame that his career is over.

What an utterly cynical and politically motivated travesty.

Guess I'll have to wait another day to control my disgust at this outcome, however unsurprising it is at this point.

One thing I will say for now. Invoking the mandatory "IMO," of course: as necessary and valuable is the whole "Me Too" thing, significant downsides to it include a due process - ignorant presumption of guilt, based on accusation alone, and speaking as a lifelong ( EEK!!!!) feminist, an implicit assumption, however counter to the intent of it's current advocates, that women either lack their own agency to fight back or that they shouldn't be held responsible for doing so.

As a personal aside that I'm guessing is entirely unexceptionable, I've been sexually harassed in my workplace. The first time it happened was on my first real job, when I was 17, and many, many years before sexual harassment was a term, much less grounds for legal action.

My harasser was the married with children adult son of the father who owned the business where I worked. This harasser chased me into room after room when I tried to evade him, put his hands on me, told me he wanted to "take me out," etc. etc.

When cornered, I first tried to defuse him and the situation by making jokes; didn't help. Then I tried telling him NO. Didn't change anything either. Then, at the grand age of 17, I marched myself to the harasser's father, the business owner and boss of my boss, to tell him what his son was doing and to ask him, in words I still remember, if there was any reason he could explain to me what I had ever said or done to justify why his son would treat me with such disrespect?

His answer was a white face and NO. His son never harassed me again.

Decades later, I'm deeply unimpressed that annoymous MCAO law clerks, ffs, didn't pipe up until years after the fact to accuse JM of allegedly "staring" at them and the like. For starters.

Last edited:
I don’t agree the trial was a circus b/o Juan Martinez. As H4M stated, Juan had to work with what was given to him during the trial.

Unfortunately it appears Juan has a history of bad behavior outside the courtroom and it was documented for years. His employer took what they thought was appropriate action via discipline outlined in an improvement plan. Juan apparently did not follow those suggestions.

But his conduct outside should have no bearing on the killer’s trial. She was found guilty before this Jenn Wood/ dismissed juror episode.

Of course this decision is political. His employer (when the department was headed by Montgomery) while recognizing Juan had a behavior issue still allowed Juan to work. Now there is a new boss, a no nonsense woman who is cleaning up the department & because of this new department manager, someone has to take the fall. Unfortunately it is Juan - and he gave her the ammunition. So if he got fired, it’s on him.

I predict the killer’s appeal will be announced as “denied” within the next month. I think the new Maricopa County DA is paving the way to deny the appeal to save the state money that would be spent on a retrial. There were no procedural errors in that trial that warrant throwing the verdict out.

Another victim of that psychopath JA.

But I don’t think Juan is totally innocent either. I just cannot understand WHY Juan would even engage in any interaction with a dismissed juror or Jenn Wood in ANY phase of the trial. I mean, why?

What was he thinking? So close to the end of the penalty retrial too. Juan should not have engaged in that behavior. Period.

So he’s been fired....now what? Will they still pursue an ethics hearing where he can possibly lose his law license too? Probably not.

So much drama. The loss of a life that should never have been taken. Travis accused of despicable actions. The killer leading her defense team by the nose to do her bidding.

The poor Alexander family. How much more can they take?

If she gets another trial, God help us. The Devil gets his day again. But she could get the Death Penalty the next time. Quite a gamble but she has nothing to lose and probably relishes the opportunity to spew her lies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayc
Back