Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, Amazon had listed Juan's book as audible available for Jan 5th, now I see they have updated the release date to match Feb formats Kindle and Hardcover.

Knew it was too good to be true. :please: :slap:

What I see in the killer's myspace photos is a young woman who had a life, went places, knew people, photoshopped most of her photos (but lots of people do that so no biggie). In short, a young person with an active life.

It's beyond disgusting that she threw another human life away with her own.

I hope the killer rots in prison and that her dreams are filled with places she went, people she knew, and full realization that she will never again have any of that and that life is precious and she threw hers away.

I kind of saw them as empty pursuits, she's simply not the type to allow any of those people or events to fill her with any long-term satisfaction. She's a psychopath that just wanted to 'blend in.' Just like the Mormonism, a pursuit to endear others to her, filling her empty shell.

Well, anyway, I think she's cozy in prison to some degree, none of it is on her dime. I think she knew she'd run out of money one day, now she has guaranteed housing. yuck

I kind of saw them as empty pursuits, she's simply not the type to allow any of those people or events to fill her with any long-term satisfaction. She's a psychopath that just wanted to 'blend in.' Just like the Mormonism, a pursuit to endear others to her, filling her empty shell.

Well, anyway, I think she's cozy in prison to some degree, none of it is on her dime. I think she knew she'd run out of money one day, now she has guaranteed housing. yuck

Right on, for the most part. Killer doesn't experience anything as the average citizen does. However, she is shown at various places of travel as well as a number of what look like get-togethers. But for me the most important are where she is dressed casually in normal clothing, outdoors in the sunshine. That happens for her now in a cage in prison garb. I hope she at least has the wherewithall to recognize the difference.

ITA. Left to her own devices, these were not activities that Jodi would have pursued. Pursuing men, yes, and she didn't care what kind, except successful might be a good plan after she figured out what living with a layabout was like. None of the other stuff filled her; she just wanted to consume someone else's world and thereby make it her own.

I deliberately used that image, by the way, the image of eating something so it's yours. Remember, when little, taking a bite out of every chocolate cupcake on a plate so your brother "couldn't have it"? So it belonged to you? Even if you weren't going to eat the whole thing?

This is a simple image I'm using on purpose. Looked at more generally, it's about incorporating something (corp=body), embodying it, consuming it. In the real actual world, cannibalism is an example. It's a way either to disempower your enemy by eating him up or eating someone to acquire his/her often magical powers. The latter is a theme in religious rites in many cultures (think, e.g. Christianity, but it's very common), the former among warring tribes eating their leftover enemies. Cannibalism is taboo at the same time. We address the taboo problem by turning cannibalism into metaphors so we don't have to think of ourselves as actually doing it. In fact, this strategy is all over the world.

This is where I'm coming at this regarding Jodi. The fun activities described are irrelevant to her. It's the consumption of them that's important. She cannibalizes people, takes them apart, and eats them bit by bit. In Travis' case, she literally slaughtered and dismembered him.

Jodi subsumed Travis' life into her own, became him, merged with him (probably raped him to boot)...think of the ways.

In Jodi, the cannibalism theme is very literal, not just metaphoric.

And then, in her world, consuming someone gets reduced to the triviality of a Starbucks drink. It's nauseating how fixated she was on strawberry frappuccinos. At every turn,there it was (Martinez by accident or design highlighted this theme). You could picture her licking her lips, a bud of froth around her mouth, a lingering aroma of fake strawberry..... The signs of a treat savored, a meal eaten....... The remains of someone's life.

One of the other images that came to me while I wrote the above piece was something else I found absolutely sickening. After the murder as she's driving north, Jodi says she stopped to wash because she had blood all over her hands. She said she used bottled water that she just happened to have in the trunk of her car. She said she used it to "wash up".

According to Jodi, she's washing away the last traces of a slaughter with a small plastic bottle of sanitized water.

Just a small gesture and all is good.

This is not what you do after a normal blood-soaking activity; it's what you do after a sacrifice......

One of the other images that came to me while I wrote the above piece was something else I found absolutely sickening. After the murder as she's driving north, Jodi says she stopped to wash because she had blood all over her hands. She said she used bottled water that she just happened to have in the trunk of her car. She said she used it to "wash up".

According to Jodi, she's washing away the last traces of a slaughter with a small plastic bottle of sanitized water.

This is not what you do after a normal blood-soaking activity; it's what you do after a sacrifice......

Yep, she's not right in the head. She feels justified in whatever action she takes, including destroying anyone who crossed her and had the gall to not love her after all the work she put into the relationship.

She did say she had a case of bottled water in the trunk. I don't believe for a minute it just happened to be there. Surely it was another piece of her premeditation which IMO was even more extensive than was brought out at trial.

I think her plotting and planning went back even further than most involved in the investigation initially thought. This is why I can easily accept that the photos might have been staged and maybe not even taken that day, and also that the murder may have happened earlier in the day than the camera indicates. That is just a piece of electronic equipment and settings are entered by the user. I believe the sex tape was premeditated and pieced together over time and intended to destroy Travis maybe in the eyes of his business associates or in his church but barring that, with potential mates.

Killer Arias is not normal is most ways but I think she knew in advance she might need that water, maybe for clean up and maybe for drinking if it turned out she had to spend more time in the desert areas than she hoped but either way, she placed that case of water in the trunk for a reason. It was, after all, a rental car so it's not like the case could have been left there from an earlier trip to Costco.

She is not normal mentally but of course that does not mean insane in a legal sense. She knew what she was doing was wrong both morally and legally and she knew she would have to cover up and lie if ever questioned and she prepared in advance for that. She's legally sane and accountable, but still not right in the head.

Nurmi's statement about this murder resulting from an argument where one lover ends up killing the other is just ludicrous. Not unlike many of his other statements. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together can see the depth of the killer's premeditation and cover up and that it completely negates any heat-of-the-moment scenario.

That's what I mean, that's what she savors most, TA's murder... Prison or not, she has zero remorse... most of these psychopaths have imagined all sorts of horrible things prior to taking an actual life, I swear that's why her diary sounds like gibberish, forced happy thoughts. She is anything but, trying not to write, "I hate so and so, *insert violent thoughts*."

But yes, I suppose she is sitting in her prison, giver her a few more years, and after the appeal fails, she will have become quite the spiteful whatever...(visibly).

Yep, she's not right in the head. She feels justified in whatever action she takes, including destroying anyone who crossed her and had the gall to not love her after all the work she put into the relationship.

She did say she had a case of bottled water in the trunk. I don't believe for a minute it just happened to be there. Surely it was another piece of her premeditation which IMO was even more extensive than was brought out at trial.

I think her plotting and planning went back even further than most involved in the investigation initially thought. This is why I can easily accept that the photos might have been staged and maybe not even taken that day, and also that the murder may have happened earlier in the day than the camera indicates. That is just a piece of electronic equipment and settings are entered by the user. I believe the sex tape was premeditated and pieced together over time and intended to destroy Travis maybe in the eyes of his business associates or in his church but barring that, with potential mates.

Killer Arias is not normal is most ways but I think she knew in advance she might need that water, maybe for clean up and maybe for drinking if it turned out she had to spend more time in the desert areas than she hoped but either way, she placed that case of water in the trunk for a reason. It was, after all, a rental car so it's not like the case could have been left there from an earlier trip to Costco.

She is not normal mentally but of course that does not mean insane in a legal sense. She knew what she was doing was wrong both morally and legally and she knew she would have to cover up and lie if ever questioned and she prepared in advance for that. She's legally sane and accountable, but still not right in the head.

Nurmi's statement about this murder resulting from an argument where one lover ends up killing the other is just ludicrous. Not unlike many of his other statements. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together can see the depth of the killer's premeditation and cover up and that it completely negates any heat-of-the-moment scenario.

I absolutely agree with everything here. I think things went down exactly as you say.

It's easy to believe if someone does a manipulation that we can deconstruct it and it will make sense. I believe everything in this case was manipulated—no assumptions that anything is real—and that many times Jodi actually screwed up doing the manipulation. It is just like Jodi to mess stuff up; I'm sure she messed up many manipulations. But this means it's not going to make sense to us!

I think the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing was made up, a lot of the sex, what happened the day of the murder, all of it.....

Non sequitor:

Day 30 first trial, jury question follow up by JM, she's asked how many calls, texts, emails she exchanged with TA on June 3 and 4.

Answer- no emails. Calls- between "5 and 9," and texts: "we exchanged them both days, but I don't know if they were erased or maybe never recovered."

(She has all 3 records in front of her and read through them before she responded).

We know that JA was pretending to be Travis in messaging. We know she snuck into his house on numerous occasions. We know she tried to leave Arizona with Travis's roommates camera in his bmw.
Suppose she used all her special skills and not just to kill him but to kill his reputation?

If she tried to convince Travis to let her come for a visit and he refused and then their communications stopped for hours then doesn't this show he did not think she was coming there?

My theory is that she came around four in the morning, let herself in and then played on the computer adding in a bit of spying. Maybe even uploaded the naked pictures. What if the two photos of Travis were taken another time when she had been hiding in the closet and surprised him? What if the ones of her were taken with a timer when he was not even home?

Perhaps she knew from talking to him that he had to get up early?

What if she hid in his closet, like she had before, only this time she had his camera? Then she waited until he got in the shower and surprised him again? Only this time it was to kill him.

Then she needed to clean up the mess, strip the bed, was a couple loads of laundry, take a shower etc.

He answered no calls that day. Wasn't that unusual for the friendly businessman that he was? Someone answered the text around 11:30. Was it her pretending to be him?

The last electronic imprint was on the computer around 4:30. Was she planting proof that he was still alive then?

Suppose her whole alternative alibi was blown to bits because Travis had set his camera time to p.m. Instead of a.m. ? Suppose she reset the time herself so that she could be long gone with an alibi somewhere far away when he was found?

What if she had a perfect lie to tell right up until she was presented with evidence that her story would no longer fit the concrete evidence?

There has always been a question of how everything was done and she was gone when the roommate came home. Suppose she was there doing her last computer stuff when the roommate came home and she had to push out the screen to exit his office? What do you think?

I like new theories :). But....disagree with this one in terms of when she murdered him.

IMO, the camera accurately reflected the time for shower and what followed. TA was staying up later and later, according to the text record. Late enough to be exhausted and fall asleep just before 4AM, and exhausted enough to sleep until at least 10AM or so.

I think she took her time before she killed him because she was savoring playing with him and loving the power rush. Not sure why he didn't answer calls that day - if that's accurate, but she probably knew there is no way he'd tell any of his friends she was there.

Last- I don't think she'd have risked blowing her Ryan alibi as she did if she'd killed TA that early in June 4.

I like new theories :). But....disagree with this one in terms of when she murdered him.

IMO, the camera accurately reflected the time for shower and what followed. TA was staying up later and later, according to the text record. Late enough to be exhausted and fall asleep just before 4AM, and exhausted enough to sleep until at least 10AM or so.

I think she took her time before she killed him because she was savoring playing with him and loving the power rush. Not sure why he didn't answer calls that day - if that's accurate, but she probably knew there is no way he'd tell any of his friends she was there.

Last- I don't think she'd have risked blowing her Ryan alibi as she did if she'd killed TA that early in June 4.

It's hard to figure what goes on in a head like the killer's but I agree she played with Travis before killing him. For one thing, she didn't want to do the deed quickly and neatly... she wanted him to suffer, to know what was going down and that it was her doing it. She didn't just want him dead.

Still, I am not sure about the time of day this all happened. I think it is easy to be swayed into thinking it happened as the camera said but there is no actual proof of a time frame. Even the roommates seemed to be uncertain of exact times they were in and out, not to mention the exact day.

I believe the crime happened on the 4th but as for when on that day I am wide open to theories. And, while I agree killer was reasonably sure TA would not give her away as being there that day I do not think she was sure enough to risk it. I don't think she wasted a whole lot of time...she arrived and played her games, but then struck at the earliest possible moment that would allow her to kill him in the torturous manner that she felt he deserved.

Again, IMO.

It's hard to figure what goes on in a head like the killer's but I agree she played with Travis before killing him. For one thing, she didn't want to do the deed quickly and neatly... she wanted him to suffer, to know what was going down and that it was her doing it. She didn't just want him dead.

Still, I am not sure about the time of day this all happened. I think it is easy to be swayed into thinking it happened as the camera said but there is no actual proof of a time frame. Even the roommates seemed to be uncertain of exact times they were in and out, not to mention the exact day.

I believe the crime happened on the 4th but as for when on that day I am wide open to theories. And, while I agree killer was reasonably sure TA would not give her away as being there that day I do not think she was sure enough to risk it. I don't think she wasted a whole lot of time...she arrived and played her games, but then struck at the earliest possible moment that would allow her to kill him in the torturous manner that she felt he deserved.

Again, IMO.

IMO there isn't any reason to doubt the time stamps on the shower pics, and evidence doesn't get much better than those shower photos.

As for the rest of the day. I agree very little is known for sure, except that the killer's story is a lie, start to finish.

It made a big difference to me to learn recently how happy Travis was the last week of his life. A very large component of his happiness was the relief he felt after coming clean with Lisa.

I think it probable he let his guard down enough to agree to have her stop by briefly on her way to a " new life" with Ryan. IMO he never understood how dangerous she was. He thought her problem was simply that she was obsessed with him. Her telling him she was genuinely moving on (I bet he called friends to confirm Ryan story) likely worked.

Reality is, he DID reply to her by phone on June 2, twice, and stayed on long enough for her to tell him heap loads of lies.

Good Evening Sleuthers! It's been months since I've been here and have spent a lot of today catching up on some great posts. I don't like the thought of getting sucked back into the JA black hole of grossness, but I've definitely missed the conversations here. So now for a question, about as Off Topic as possible: Usually I can use Google reasonably well but I've been stumped today looking for information about the Darren Mack murder trial from back in '08. I was watching a 48 Hrs. or Dateline or something and there was a 2 part episode about that bizarre trial. Arias was/is such an amazing liar who lies and then lies to cover her lies and then lies to exaggerate her lies and lies to get out of lying messes and then lies to spin more salacious tales and when not salacious enough she lies to get more disgusting filth out, then lies to embellish once again. This guy, Darren Mack, from what I could tell from this show is probably up there in the same stratosphere of expert liar as Arias! I googled until I could google no more to try to find video from the trial. It was televised and live streamed, covered in part at least by In Session at the time, but I can't find any archived video of the trial, just a few little snippets. Anyone out there in Sleuth Land know how or where or if there is a way to find this? BTW I also you-tubed for hours searching. This guy's outlandish, horrific, and disgusting web of lies he used to dirty up his wife, who he brutally murdered (in self defense of course)seems to be in the Arias league of disgusting. I am interested in watching the trial but after all my searching I'm thinking the trial coverage, although live streamed, was not archived. If anyone knows differently and has the magic touch to find the trial, I would be most appreciative! I would even share some of the still fresh, still incredibly delicious and absolute best Chex Mix EVER made (using my late mother's incredible recipe that turned wonderful Chex Mix into a heavenly delight)since I still miraculously have 2 generous containers left, which is scary considering I was home alone during the holidays and therefore the gigantic recipe that makes enough for multiple families was ALL FOR ME! There should be gallons and gallons left! Anyway, willing to share if the info is good! Thanks!!

I agree. I don't think the camera was set pm instead of am. I'm not even sure JA could have been there and naked by 1 or 2am. She was 6 hours away at 9pm. I do believe that they had sex. He pretty much told us that he'd fall for her okie-doke himself when he was arguing with her on the 26th. I see no reason not to believe him. In fact, he was saying that he was even done pretending to himself that he wasn't in that cycle. As H4M said, he was back to talking to her and texting her back as early at the 30th.

Just like he said on the g chat, "You know all it would take was to hear your voice. You made sure I heard you," or however he phrased it--it worked the same way in person. She showed up, he was sucked back in.

Other theories keep involving JA wanting to put old pictures on the camera to make it "look like" they had sex that day, but we have to remember--her first alibi was that she was NEVER THERE. It wouldn't serve her to put pictures of herself,dated june 4th, on the camera if she believed she'd covered her tracks so well that people would believe her when she said she was never there. It wasn't until Flores busted her with the pictures that she eventually admitted that she was there.

I just wonder why she'd bother with the gas cans, the hair color, the silent phone, etc if she wanted to plant on his camera pics that proved they were having sex that day. I wonder why she'd plant them and then erase them. If defies logic.

We also don't know JA's motive. I, for one, think she struggled with it. She loves the attention when he's having sex with her. It is one thing to plan murder, but quite another to get there and just do it. She loved him--whatever her sick version of love is. I still think Enrique being home messed up her plan. Then spending time with Travis made it harder to do it. I don't believe there was any way she was that close to travis and waited outside all night. Not after being away from him for two months.

Maybe--just conjecture--she went in, slept, spent the time with him and decided against it until he whipped out the floor cleaner and started acting like she needed to go. Then she could have been mad that she'd decided to spare him, she'd had sex with him, and he was discarding her. She got mad enough to put her plan back in motion.

I don't know that it was as simple as she'd thought it would be and there's always the possibility that her lovesick emotions for him prolonged his life more hours. We just don't know.

Good Evening Sleuthers! It's been months since I've been here and have spent a lot of today catching up on some great posts. I don't like the thought of getting sucked back into the JA black hole of grossness, but I've definitely missed the conversations here. So now for a question, about as Off Topic as possible: Usually I can use Google reasonably well but I've been stumped today looking for information about the Darren Mack murder trial from back in '08. I was watching a 48 Hrs. or Dateline or something and there was a 2 part episode about that bizarre trial. Arias was/is such an amazing liar who lies and then lies to cover her lies and then lies to exaggerate her lies and lies to get out of lying messes and then lies to spin more salacious tales and when not salacious enough she lies to get more disgusting filth out, then lies to embellish once again. This guy, Darren Mack, from what I could tell from this show is probably up there in the same stratosphere of expert liar as Arias! I googled until I could google no more to try to find video from the trial. It was televised and live streamed, covered in part at least by In Session at the time, but I can't find any archived video of the trial, just a few little snippets. Anyone out there in Sleuth Land know how or where or if there is a way to find this? BTW I also you-tubed for hours searching. This guy's outlandish, horrific, and disgusting web of lies he used to dirty up his wife, who he brutally murdered (in self defense of course)seems to be in the Arias league of disgusting. I am interested in watching the trial but after all my searching I'm thinking the trial coverage, although live streamed, was not archived. If anyone knows differently and has the magic touch to find the trial, I would be most appreciative! I would even share some of the still fresh, still incredibly delicious and absolute best Chex Mix EVER made (using my late mother's incredible recipe that turned wonderful Chex Mix into a heavenly delight)since I still miraculously have 2 generous containers left, which is scary considering I was home alone during the holidays and therefore the gigantic recipe that makes enough for multiple families was ALL FOR ME! There should be gallons and gallons left! Anyway, willing to share if the info is good! Thanks!!
I love a great recipe! Sadly, this is all I have found so far, and it may be what you've all ready watched - but I'll continue to look! I've had more luck using Charla Mack as a search term.

[video=youtube;9Q5tSDipyCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q5tSDipyCI[/video]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

IMO there isn't any reason to doubt the time stamps on the shower pics, and evidence doesn't get much better than those shower photos.

As for the rest of the day. I agree very little is known for sure, except that the killer's story is a lie, start to finish.

It made a big difference to me to learn recently how happy Travis was the last week of his life. A very large component of his happiness was the relief he felt after coming clean with Lisa.

I think it probable he let his guard down enough to agree to have her stop by briefly on her way to a " new life" with Ryan. IMO he never understood how dangerous she was. He thought her problem was simply that she was obsessed with him. Her telling him she was genuinely moving on (I bet he called friends to confirm Ryan story) likely worked.

Reality is, he DID reply to her by phone on June 2, twice, and stayed on long enough for her to tell him heap loads of lies.

I think he accepted her visit--whether he knew in advance or not--because she had his journals, his check, the pictures he wanted, etc. Closure. What he really wanted was closure and for her to come clean, admit stuff, etc. Maybe she promised to do it and had the check, journals, etc as a peace offering to get in the door.

This is where I'm puzzled:

Jodi didn't have a job. In fact, she was talking about her first day at Casa Ramos being 5/26/08. In her journal that day, she ends with "I'm off to orientation." Then she claims she got a week off work??? She just got hired. How do you get a week off when you just got hired?

I find it strange that orientation was on Memorial day, a very busy restaurant day, yes? The next day, she mentions that the 26th was her first day. The next time she mentions work, it was 5/30--"work was good." Nothing about work for Saturday, the 31st, but looks like she spends all day Sunday preparing for this trip to see Ryan. She'd written in the journal that she got Tuesday-thursday off, but I guess she got Monday off, too?

I have a real problem with this, but I'm "*advertiser censored*-u-me-ing" that the police checked that she really worked at Casa Ramos?

It's hinky to me. Either she told them she wanted this time off when she was hired or she got people to cover--but I can't see how a new server wouldn't have to be there for training, following, etc, such that she could just switch shifts.

I think he accepted her visit--whether he knew in advance or not--because she had his journals, his check, the pictures he wanted, etc. Closure. What he really wanted was closure and for her to come clean, admit stuff, etc. Maybe she promised to do it and had the check, journals, etc as a peace offering to get in the door.

This is where I'm puzzled:

Jodi didn't have a job. In fact, she was talking about her first day at Casa Ramos being 5/26/08. In her journal that day, she ends with "I'm off to orientation." Then she claims she got a week off work??? She just got hired. How do you get a week off when you just got hired?

I find it strange that orientation was on Memorial day, a very busy restaurant day, yes? The next day, she mentions that the 26th was her first day. The next time she mentions work, it was 5/30--"work was good." Nothing about work for Saturday, the 31st, but looks like she spends all day Sunday preparing for this trip to see Ryan. She'd written in the journal that she got Tuesday-thursday off, but I guess she got Monday off, too?

I have a real problem with this, but I'm "*advertiser censored*-u-me-ing" that the police checked that she really worked at Casa Ramos?

It's hinky to me. Either she told them she wanted this time off when she was hired or she got people to cover--but I can't see how a new server wouldn't have to be there for training, following, etc, such that she could just switch shifts.

The Casa Ramos gig was mentioned in the cross of ALV. Of course, she didn't mention she'd only worked there for a few days. IIRC, ALV used the Casa Ramos gig as evidence that Jodi was not manipulative. She left out the (simultaneous?) Purple Plum gig where Jodi was said to be extremely manipulative. JM caught her in this BS.

Thank you! I hadn't seen this one yet and am sighing a huge DUH!!! because I didn't even think of checking using her name! Thanks for looking!!

B_lab, I was about to post almost the same thing you posted but I decided to read a lil further down and came across your post.

Yes, JA is a Sociopath as well as a Psychopath. She has zero feelings/empathy/conscience for no one but herself.
She will be right at home in prison, and I think she will fit right in trying to be just like someone she sets her sights on in there and do it over and over again.

JA is an empty shell only out for herself and I also think she will have many a scam in there much like many of her new mates.

The Casa Ramos gig was mentioned in the cross of ALV. Of course, she didn't mention she'd only worked there for a few days. IIRC, ALV used the Casa Ramos gig as evidence that Jodi was not manipulative. She left out the (simultaneous?) Purple Plum gig where Jodi was said to be extremely manipulative. JM caught her in this BS.

What? She was at the purple plum again, too? Please don't make me return to the ALV days! But I guess they aren't as bad as that other woman during the retrial. I'll give ALV that.

Travis kept asking if that girl had a job, so she'd start paying him back. Was the return to PPlum before or after the murder?

So you're saying workers at CR actually saw her there? She didn't make up the job? Because the way "Margaritaville" kept getting mentioned, I had to wonder if CR job was even real. Heck, I still do, even if ALV talked to anyone.

Look, I need to know. No one addresses this--did she have two helio phones in her car on that trip? I have serious problems with her and these phones of hers. And I think she was using the "stolen phone" with another service or something. I don't know. I'm suspicious of why her 6/3 pics are on the stolen phone, but there was a phone active in the car at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia