September 11th 2001 Where Were You When the Planes Went Down

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Working in a cubicle doing accounting work. At lunch, I got a haircut, and watched Tower II come down as I sat getting my hair cut.

At work when someone with a T.V yelled OMG.

I lived in Washington state and had just started my senior year of high school. Being 3 hrs behind New York, it was only around 6 am. I was up early, getting ready (sharing a bathroom with 2 siblings forced me to be the early riser - I set my alarm for 5). I listened to the radio as I did my hair, and they were talking about the plane that had just crashed into the tower. I believe there had recently been a small Cessna type plane that hit a building (I want to say in Texas but my memory probably isn't THAT good) and my first thought was that it was the same sort of situation again. Minutes later as I listened the second plane hit. I thought it was really strange at that point. I remember somebody in a nearby coffee shop being interviewed.

Then I left, picked up a friend and headed to school. In the car on the radio it was all they talked about. I remember the DJ completely speechless in the car as the first tower fell.

It wasn't until I got to school and we watched the news all day that I learned it was actually big passenger jets and not the small Cessna I thought it was.

I was a junior in high school in the central mid-west...my day started outside at marching band practice...we came back in with about 10 minutes before next period and noticed that strangley, we could hear the t.v.s on in all of the other class rooms down the hallway. Someone turned on the t.v. in the band room and then yelled for everyone to look at what was happening. I remember thinking "that's not happening here in the U.S.", before I caught the caption at the bottom of the screen identifying the scene as the Twin Towers in New York. Adding to the feeling of surrealism was the fact that it was also my 17th birthday and now I was thinking the world was going to end sometime soon...It was really sad and really scary...it kind of still is every year because I never know if someone is going to do something horrible again on that day...

Hi Everyone,

Can you believe it has been 17 years since that one bright Tuesday morning, September 11th, 2001 or as we simply call it now 9/11?

I hope you will post your experiences on that day.

What I remember most is telling my then 5-year-old son to remember this day because what happened today would affect the rest of his life.

We were watching the Today Show when the second plane hit. He saw it. His little mind went to work as I tried to explain what was happening in a way that didn't completely traumatize him or scare him. Explain as much as I knew which wasn't much at all.

He immediately went and got his crayons and a big sketchbook and went to work. Before long he had two big pictures. One was the two towers bending away and the planes totally missing both towers. The other was firemen and women rescuing people and he told me all the people were rescued in this picture and no one died.

That's how he handled 9/11.

How did you handle 9/11?

I still have those pictures.

Tricia
PLEASE, NO POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS. THIS IS ABOUT MEMBER'S PERSONAL EXPERIENCES ON 9/11. ANYONE WHO GETS POLITICAL OR TRIES TO DISRUPT THIS THREAD WILL BE REMOVED IMMEDIATELY.

I was sleeping when my phone rang. My friend said "Go turn on the tv, but sit down first." I was full term pregnant with my 3rd child. I waddled into the living room, but the tv was already on. I didn't even make it to the sofa. I just sat down on the coffee table, holding the phone in my hand with my mouth hanging open. My daughter was born exactly one week later.

I was in my 10th grade math class. I knew immediately who was behind it, because even then, I was a news junkie, familiar with the African embassy bombings and the attack on the USS Cole.

I remember listening to the ABC news broadcast on the radio, and hearing Peter Jennings describe the collapse of the second tower. None of our classrooms had working televisions, so I had to try and visualize what was happening.

When I got to my next class, the teacher decided that he was going to teach, and I decided I was going to leave. I walked out of class, and headed home.

When I finally got to a television, I saw what all of us will never forget. Those planes hitting. Those people jumping. And those buildings crumbling.

September 11 was just like any other day, until 8:46 AM, when the world was forever changed.

Last edited:
We lived in Los Angeles area, and husband and kids were still asleep. I got up early to put on the coffee and turned on the TV , expecting to see the local morning news. It took me awhile to understand what I was seeing. Was it an accident? I was confused.

Husband came downstairs to get a cuppa and I was still standing right there, in front of the TV, trying to process it all. As I attempted to explain what was going on, we both saw the 2nd plane hit the tower. It was shocking. We sat in silence.

I am not sure if this was a good idea or not, but I woke up my 13 yr old son much earlier than usual, and asked him to come down and watch with us. He still remembers that morning. He was half asleep and complaining about getting up at crack of dawn. But we made him a nice place to lay on the couch and watch the news coverage with us. Which helped him, because when he went to school that day, all kinds of crazy rumors were going around, and he knew the basics already.

In my home in Australia. I spent the whole night listening to Doug Aiton and Derryn Hinch on radio 3AK, I kept phoning them up with reports from my friends in New York. Still remember telling 3AK's breakfast team about the first crank listing online "For Sale: World Trade Centre - Some Assembly Required".

I'll never forget that day. As generation defining as JFK.

I was at home, drinking coffee. The phone rang - my husband was in Maryland at a conference. He told me to switch on the TV, and said that the Twin Towers had been hit. Then he yelled, “and Pentagon, too”. I rushed to the TV. Several years earlier, I had watched a movie where the villain hit a hi-rise building with a helicopter. Watching the second tower being hit felt like a weird déjà vu. Then I drove to my training site. People were crying - the two planes to hit the towers took off from Logan Airport. Everyone wanted to help, and no one knew what to do.

I failed to visit the Twin Towers when they were standing. Each time something was in the way, and then that promised “next time” never happened. Then we moved, and several years ago, after a long break, ended up in NYC again. People seemed to be much nicer and warmer. The taxicab driver said, they have really changed, after 9-11, they understood they needed each other.

Last edited:
Aerial view of twin towers through the clouds. Never forget. My husband was an Ironworker and helped construct the towers. He was a builder of things in life; not a destroyer like those who brought world trade down with our people inside. Those same ironworkers tore their way through the rubble in hopes of finding life in the grim aftermath. I will always remember how willing and brave they all were, along with all the others who did the same. True Americans.That day, I fully and completely understood how much I love my country and countrymen.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 46
I had been out shopping with my Mom and we came back home and turned on the TV, expecting the standard News report, and the first plane had just hit. I remember my Mom saying "What has happened now?" - Just a true statement of what this world has come to - We stood there, shoes on, shopping bags in our hands, just still, unable to move while we tried to believe what we were seeing was real. Then the second plane hit and I remember the news reporter talking and then, just stuttering, unable to report anymore to us and then the camera zooming in on the towers and everyone was silent.

A few minutes went by before my Mom shot across the room to call her cousin in California. It was an early wake up call for them. I don't think I moved at all for at least 30 minutes.

I was off of work that day.
I fell asleep with the tv on the night before.
It took a couple of minutes to absorb what I was looking at when I woke up.
It was shocking.
Groups use to play in the courtyard area between the buildings .
Ironically, the last group I saw there is called Blood Sweet and Tears.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46
Back