Shannan Gilbert Found, death declared an accident. What do you think?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the videos reviewing the case of Rifkin had photos of the victims. One of the victims looked like Shannan, IMO. There are details in the trutv article; for instance, that one of the victims was killed in the NY Post parking lot. Also that one of Rifkin's ideas was to plan a "rehab" for drug-addicted prostitutes. This would involve showing them the photos of dead prostitutes:

This article outlines in more detail the case of Rifkin: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/rifkin/10.html

Buoyed perhaps by that effort, in August 1999 Rifkin unveiled his plans for “Oholah House,” a proposed shelter for prostitutes that would include drug treatment, counseling, medical care and job training. Oholah, Rifkin explained, was both the Hebrew word for “sanctuary” and the name of a prostitute whose violent death is described in Ezekiel 23:3-10. (In fact, the latter name is spelled “Aholah.”) Rifkin called his plan “a way of paying back a debt, I guess,” and while the idea drew praise from some quarters --including prosecutor Fred Klein-- most objected to Rifkin’s inclusion of a “Motivation Room” where residents would be “scared straight” with photos of hookers murdered on the job. “These girls think, ‘I can’t be touched,’” Rifkin explained. “Well, 17 girls thought that, and now they’re dead.”

One of the videos reviewing the case of Rifkin had photos of the victims. One of the victims looked like Shannan, IMO.

This article outlines in more detail the case of Rifkin: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/rifkin/10.html

There are details in this article; for instance, that one of the victims was found in the NY Post parking lot. Also that one of Rifkin's ideas was to plan a "rehab" for drug-addicted prostitutes. This would involve showing them the photos of dead prostitutes:

Buoyed perhaps by that effort, in August 1999 Rifkin unveiled his plans for “Oholah House,” a proposed shelter for prostitutes that would include drug treatment, counseling, medical care and job training. Oholah, Rifkin explained, was both the Hebrew word for “sanctuary” and the name of a prostitute whose violent death is described in Ezekiel 23:3-10. (In fact, the latter name is spelled “Aholah.”) Rifkin called his plan “a way of paying back a debt, I guess,” and while the idea drew praise from some quarters --including prosecutor Fred Klein-- most objected to Rifkin’s inclusion of a “Motivation Room” where residents would be “scared straight” with photos of hookers murdered on the job. “These girls think, ‘I can’t be touched,’” Rifkin explained. “Well, 17 girls thought that, and now they’re dead.”

I may be mistaken but I think that he killed his last victim in the NY Post parking lot and then drove the body to LI.

I may be mistaken but I think that he killed his last victim in the NY Post parking lot and then drove the body to LI.

I just edited my post. I did not know that one of Rifkin crime scenes was the NY Post parking lot.

"Succinylcholine, SUX for short, is a neuromuscular paralytic drug. This means that it works at the junction of the nerves and muscles and causes muscular paralysis. It paralyzes all the muscles of the body, including those used for breathing. Without ventilatory support anyone who receives this drug will die from asphyxia. The bad news is that they will be wide awake while this occurs because SUX causes muscular paralysis but has no sedative effects."

If this drug was administered to SG, she would have never been able to make the 911 call or run through OB!

Please define non-recreational drug

By non-recreational, I should have specified, "to the end user", there are plenty of examples of doctors administering lethal doses of drugs to victims as part of the doctors own recreational activities.

Newsday (Melville, NY)
November 24, 1997
Edition: NASSAU AND SUFFOLK
Section: NEWS
Page: A04
Topics:
Index Terms:
SUFFOLK COUNTY.C PETER HACKETT.EMERGENCY.COUNSELING.

Suffolk's Trauma Care Bruised / Disputes still swirl around ex- director
Author: Elizabeth Moore. STAFF WRITER
Article Text:
"- The MacArthur rescue: Rumors circulated for months after a dangerous March rescue of three workers seriously injured when the water tank they were repairing collapsed under them. Hackett said the rumors accused him of causing spinal injuries to the workers after he rappelled down into the icy water to stabilize and soothe the victims with intravenous fluids and morphine, but "I just brushed it off." Those rumors crystallized into a direct accusation at an early August meeting between Fischler, Bradley, Deputy County Executive Eric Kopp and county executive aide Joseph Michaels. When Bradley later asked Hackett for an explanation, he produced a hospital report that indicated the victims never suffered the spinal injuries Fischler alleged. But some volunteers who worked alongside Hackett that day remain vocal in their criticism.

Copyright (c) 1997 Newsday, Inc.
Record Number: 963248187

article snipped by me. fiction dormer?

One of the videos reviewing the case of Rifkin had photos of the victims. One of the victims looked like Shannan, IMO. There are details in the trutv article; for instance, that one of the victims was killed in the NY Post parking lot. Also that one of Rifkin's ideas was to plan a "rehab" for drug-addicted prostitutes. This would involve showing them the photos of dead prostitutes:

Great find!

*Very* interesting!

THe funny thing is, Rifkin came up with this idea at the earliest point in time, it was obvious, there was another SK out there hunting prostitutes (Manorville of course, nobody knew about LISK at this time).
The other thing that amazes me is the permanent recurring idea, that SKs make better profilers. Aside of in TV shows, it was tried five or six times now in reality:

Ted Bundy versus the Greenriver killer Ridgway:
To express it with Bob Keppel: Ted talked ********, but it was at least an interesting insight in Bundy's mind.

The so-called Thirteen against the AC Killer:
I'm not even sure if Thirteen really exists or was only made up for this wierd show. If, he is such a cliche that he can't look over the rim of his teacup. And in fact, he said nothing valuable about AC at all and only half-digested generalisms about SKs anyway.

The Italians tried once to bring the Butcher of Florence to help them out in another case:
The guy told them "How would I know?". And yes, how would he? He was a sexual sadist with a taste for slashing, the guy they were behind back then was a team with a hang to strangle. Different kind of animal.

And of course, Rifkin was interviewed during the LISK case more often than for his own murders:
He said, what was obvious. Construction and landscaping was written on my site a year before he bubbled this one out. So obviously, you disn't need to be an insane SK to see that one coming. Otherwise anything, that makes sense in Rifkin's attempt to profile LISK? I can't see anything.

There are different kinds of animals out there. Just because one of them is a nasty animal, it doesn't mean, he automatically understand all other kinds of nasty animals.

By non-recreational, I should have specified, "to the end user", there are plenty of examples of doctors administering lethal doses of drugs to victims as part of the doctors own recreational activities.

Newsday (Melville, NY)
November 24, 1997
Edition: NASSAU AND SUFFOLK
Section: NEWS
Page: A04
Topics:
Index Terms:
SUFFOLK COUNTY.C PETER HACKETT.EMERGENCY.COUNSELING.

Suffolk's Trauma Care Bruised / Disputes still swirl around ex- director
Author: Elizabeth Moore. STAFF WRITER
Article Text:
"- The MacArthur rescue: Rumors circulated for months after a dangerous March rescue of three workers seriously injured when the water tank they were repairing collapsed under them. Hackett said the rumors accused him of causing spinal injuries to the workers after he rappelled down into the icy water to stabilize and soothe the victims with intravenous fluids and morphine, but "I just brushed it off." Those rumors crystallized into a direct accusation at an early August meeting between Fischler, Bradley, Deputy County Executive Eric Kopp and county executive aide Joseph Michaels. When Bradley later asked Hackett for an explanation, he produced a hospital report that indicated the victims never suffered the spinal injuries Fischler alleged. But some volunteers who worked alongside Hackett that day remain vocal in their criticism.

Copyright (c) 1997 Newsday, Inc.
Record Number: 963248187

article snipped by me. fiction dormer?

Basically, this snippet says, CPH went into the water to help those workers. Pain suppression with morphine is often the normal procedure in the US (in Europe they are holding back a lot more, but that means also more pain).
After he did so and did more than his share, some morons accused him of having caused spine injuries to them (in the process of saving her lives) which, according to the official records never happened ...

So well, of course, rescuing life as an emergency doctor makes you nowadays even more a suspect for any murder case, right?

THe funny thing is, Rifkin came up with this idea at the earliest point in time, it was obvious, there was another SK out there hunting prostitutes (Manorville of course, nobody knew about LISK at this time).
The other thing that amazes me is the permanent recurring idea, that SKs make better profilers. Aside of in TV shows, it was tried five or six times now in reality:

Ted Bundy versus the Greenriver killer Ridgway:
To express it with Bob Keppel: Ted talked ********, but it was at least an interesting insight in Bundy's mind.

The so-called Thirteen against the AC Killer:
I'm not even sure if Thirteen really exists or was only made up for this wierd show. If, he is such a cliche that he can't look over the rim of his teacup. And in fact, he said nothing valuable about AC at all and only half-digested generalisms about SKs anyway.

The Italians tried once to bring the Butcher of Florence to help them out in another case:
The guy told them "How would I know?". And yes, how would he? He was a sexual sadist with a taste for slashing, the guy they were behind back then was a team with a hang to strangle. Different kind of animal.

And of course, Rifkin was interviewed during the LISK case more often than for his own murders:
He said, what was obvious. Construction and landscaping was written on my site a year before he bubbled this one out. So obviously, you disn't need to be an insane SK to see that one coming. Otherwise anything, that makes sense in Rifkin's attempt to profile LISK? I can't see anything.

There are different kinds of animals out there. Just because one of them is a nasty animal, it doesn't mean, he automatically understand all other kinds of nasty animals.

What I personally find so interesting about concentric's post and link is that Rifkin's idea sounds so eerily similar to a story involving a doctor and alleged phone calls to Shannan Gilbert's family.

What I personally find so interesting about concentric's post and link is that Rifkin's idea sounds so eerily similar to a story involving a doctor and alleged phone calls to Shannan Gilbert's family.

The problem is, LE can maybe check with old phone records, that a call happened, but not, what was spoken. So we have as of yet only Mari Gilbert's word, which, considering the number of Mari Gilberts who posted on boards all over the net and especially the LISK forum, could be a problem. So if 48hours maybe tells a bit more, it would be pretty interesting, but till then, I'm relaxed. Why? Because I've seen too many trying to pull of that trick. Mostly directly verbal, but why not on a phone for a change?

Of possible interest:

My POI's father's address was 0.6 miles apart from serial killer Joel Rifkin.
And my POI's father's address was 3.7 miles apart from serial killer Robert Schulman.
Both of thise two serial killers murdered prositutes.
SO, is it possible that my POI was inspired by thise two serial killers?

ATLANTICJoelRifkinaddressandmyPOIsfatheraddress.jpg

Of possible interest:

My POI's father's address was 0.6 miles apart from serial killer Joel Rifkin.
And my POI's father's address was 3.7 miles apart from serial killer Robert Schulman.
Both of thise two serial killers murdered prositutes.
SO, is it possible that my POI was inspired by thise two serial killers?

ATLANTICJoelRifkinaddressandmyPOIsfatheraddress.jpg

Compare the victimology. It's not unusual higher IQ SKs study other SKs from the past. But the interest is usually more similarity in taste than in neighborhood history.
If you want, PM me and we can talk details.

Long Island Press
The Rundown: Long Island's
Random Weekly To-Do List April
5-12
By Long Island Press on April 6th, 2012
http://www.longislandpress.com/2012...-islands-random-weekly-to-do-list-april-5-12/

“4. WATCH THE SHANNAN GILBERT EPISODE OF DISAPPEARED: The dramatic Investigation Discovery series comes a little closer to home in its next episode “Footprints in the Sand” which focuses on the mystery surrounding Gilbert’s disappearance from Oak Beach and the even bigger mystery of her body’s discovery across the street from the bodies of 10 others found along the beachfront Ocean Parkway. The episode airs April 9 on Discovery ID at 9 p.m.”

Here is a link to a 03:19 preview @ the "Investigation Discovery" website:

http://investigation.discovery.com/videos/disappeared-long-island-call-girl-goes-missing.html

From Brewer’s we head to Gus Coletti’s. We’ve both seen him in interviews but we wanted to meet him in person and ask him a few questions ourselves. Sandy parks her truck in front of his house and by the time we get to the steps of his deck he is standing inside his front door. He comes out and we exchange pleasantries and explain that we are friends of Shannan’s family. He is friendly and receives us without hesitation.

“So what did she do she just ran out? She was just…” Sandy asks.

“Well first off she comes banging on the door, yelling and screaming for help. I was shaving and gettin’ ready to go upstate. So I come out and open the door and she came in. And she stands right here,” he says, moving to the exact spot inside where she had stood. “That’s as far as she got. She kept on yelling for help. And I kept on saying to her, ‘What’s the matter. Tell me what’s the matter and I’ll help ya.’ And she just kept on yellin’ ‘help, help me’. And then she started to fall backwards. So I turned around, picked up the phone and called police right way. And I turned to her afterwards, hung up the phone and said ‘I called the police. They’re on the way here. Somebody will help ya’. As soon as I said that - out the door she went.”

“Do you know Joseph Brewer?” asks Sandy.

“Do I know Joe Brewer? I know who he is. He’s not one of my favorite people though,” Coletti responds.

“Michael Pak, the driver, when he said to you that you shouldn’t have called police because she’s gonna get in a lot of trouble, did he seem to say that in a manner that was threatening to her?” I ask.

“No,” Coletti responds. “And I said to him ‘well, I’ll tell you right now so are you if you don’t stop right here. I called the police and I know who you are now’.”

“Now where was she last seen?” I ask, leading him onto his deck. “I’ve seen you in a couple of interviews but it’s always so hard to tell.”

He comes outside and walks to his right along the deck and points to the reeds along the road of the Fairway. “She comes out here and tries to get in the reeds. But she can’t because they were higher then.”

“And Michael Pak is where at this point?” I ask.

“I haven’t seen him yet. And she runs to that house next door and bangin’ on the door for help again. Then she turned around and came back in the road to right about there,” he says pointing to the middle of the roadway, “and she stopped. And starts lookin’ back and I’m wonderin’ what she’s lookin’ at. And I’m standin’ here waitin’. And she takes off here and ran around here,” he says, with his arm out tracing her route from the middle of the roadway to across his front lawn and then behind his boat. “She went right underneath the edge of the boat.”

“She was obviously afraid of someone wasn’t she?” asks Sandy.

“Yes,” replies Coletti. “And then I saw the car coming. And I said oh- this guy’s after her. So I came here and ran down there,” pointing to his steps and front yard. “And I stopped him right out there. And I asked him where he thought he was going. And that’s when he says, ‘oh well we had a party up at Brewer’s house and one of the young girls got upset and left and I’m tryin’ to find her to bring her back.’ Well I’ve already called the police, that’s what I told him and they’re on the way’ I said.”

“That was a good thing,” says Sandy.

“And he said ‘oh, you shouldn’t of done that. She’s gonna get in a lot of trouble.’ And I said ‘so are you if you leave’,” Coletti says.

“So you really tried to get him to stay,” I say. “And then Shannan darted off to where?” I ask.

“And then all of a sudden,” he continues, “out she came and went around that house,” he says, pointing to the house directly across from his by the gate.”

“Around that house right there?” I say, pointing.

“Yeah.”

“Toward Anchor Way. That house right there?” I ask.

“Yeah but that house wasn’t there then. There was a little bungalow,” he says.

“And he took off after her. And did u ever see Brewer?” I ask.

“No.”

“Anyone else after that? It was just him? An Asian guy,” I ask.

“Yeah. So what I did I ran back up here and I told my wife…”

Here a car drives slowly by and Coletti stops talking.

“Anyone we should be concerned about?” asks Sandy.

“No, that’s just the neighbors coming home from work,” he says. “So I told my wife – she was downstairs here. I said stay here and watch for anyone else coming down the street. I’m going down to let the police in. And I waited for the police and I opened up the gate so they could get in and I told ‘em the direction she went in.”

“About how long was that after you last saw her?”

“About 45 minutes,” he responds.

“Wow,” I say.

“And that was the direction of Hackett’s house wasn’t it - over there that way?” asks Sandy.

“Yeah,” responds Coletti.

“And you never saw Michael Pak’s SUV again?” I ask.

“No,” he responds.

“You know Mr. Hackett?” asks Sandy.

“Yes I do.”

“Nice man?” asks Sandy.

“If I had a choice. He’d be living next door to me,” he replies.

“Okay,” Sandy says.

“There’s very few people here in this community that don’t get along,” Coletti says.

“I have a question. Was she wearing a leather jacket?” I ask.

“Over her shoulder,” he says.

“Wow, you remember everything,” Sandy says.

“Oh yeah I do,” he responds.

“Sandals or boots on,” I ask.

“I don’t know. I didn’t look. I know that she had a tank top on. Not a halter.”

“One earring or two?” I ask.

“I didn’t…”

“Did she say she was frightened of…what did she..?” asks Sandy.

“No, she just kept yelling – help, help,” he says.

“Oh god…we gotta find this woman,” Sandy says.

“Do you have any theories yourself?” I ask.

“I sure do…I don’t think she was murdered. I think she went in the water.”

“Well, don’t you think the body would have washed up eventually?” asks Sandy.

“Sure. If it was an incoming tide that morning. There’s gotta be 35-40 little islands between here and Patchogue. No inhabitants on any one of ‘em. She coulda washed up on one she’d be there forever. And that’s more than likely where she is.”

“Did they have the police dogs sniffing around?” Sandy asks.

“Right away or…?” he asks.

“Well, in December,” says Sandy.

“December they did.”

“All in the drainage and everything?” she asks.

“Yeah. January they were back again. Mike was here with the dog.”

“Blue?” I ask.

“John Mallia?” Sandy asks.

“Yeah. I told him. I was talkin’ to him. He left and came in and I told him we got it recorded. So he said they tell me it wasn’t working. So I say that’s right somebody wiped the camera clean.”

“Someone did wipe the camera clean?” I ask.

“Yeah. Somebody in here,” he says, using his thumb to point over his shoulder.

“Yeah, but wasn’t Hackett in charge of the camera?” Sandy asks.

“No, he was not. Charlie Serota was

“Charles Serota?”

“Hmm.”

“When did he come over with Blue. How far after…”

“I don’t know,” says Coletti. “This is just what I was told. I didn’t witness it. But the real thing that we keep when you come in here you punch your code in it records the time you come in.”

“And it takes a snapshot of your license plate right?” I ask.

“Yeah,” he says.

“That’s on a hard drive. And the entire hard drive is wiped clean?” I ask.

“No, no. I turned that over to the police.”

“Oh you did. So they have the hard drive?” Sandy says.

He nods.

“So ostensibly you would know…” I begin to say.

“But there was no car that came in or out of there in over a half hour,” he says.

“So she’s gotta be in this area,” says Sandy. “Here some place.”

“Yeah,” he says.

Sunday With Gus

Jim Jones, hope you can respond to this-

1. did anyone ever interview Charles Serota?
  2. Did you get chills when you heard that SG was found in the area where Gus said the investigators already searched (including John with his dog Blue)?
  3. Did anyone ever ask MP why he said "One of the GIRLS"? (not GIRL but GIRLS)

Just a heads up that TONIGHT 04/09/12 @ 8PM CST, on the Investigation Discovery (ID) Channel (local here Channel 126, but it depends on your cable company). They are showing what is listed as a "New" Episode of 'Disappeared' titled "Footprints in the Sand" (2012), focusing on "The disappearance of Shannan Gilbert and the investigation it launched are discussed."

I have seen posted previously the name of a 'Footprints in the Sand' Episode posted; however, I am posting this because according to the ads running on this channel, and the fact it is listed as "New" (2012), it is not typically a reshowing when they list a show in that manner. Regardless, perhaps there is some information that someone will find enlightening.

I hope you also get to watch the Episode, as I will be watching it.

Just a heads up that TONIGHT 04/09/12 @ 8PM CST, on the Investigation Discovery (ID) Channel (local here Channel 126, but it depends on your cable company). They are showing what is listed as a "New" Episode of 'Disappeared' titled "Footprints in the Sand" (2012), focusing on "The disappearance of Shannan Gilbert and the investigation it launched are discussed."

I have seen posted previously the name of a 'Footprints in the Sand' Episode posted; however, I am posting this because according to the ads running on this channel, and the fact it is listed as "New" (2012), it is not typically a reshowing when they list a show in that manner. Regardless, perhaps there is some information that someone will find enlightening.

I hope you also get to watch the Episode, as I will be watching it.

It's definitely new. Now, whether it will just be a total rehash of everything in docs before remains to be seen, but its a new ep for this program.

It's definitely new. Now, whether it will just be a total rehash of everything in docs before remains to be seen, but its a new ep for this program.

I am really trying to withhold my judgment on the show quality until I see it for myself (as difficult as it may be); however, one of the 'previews' they are running states that Shannan Gilbert was last seen running "from a friend's home", the word "friend" struck me as rather far from the truth considering everything that I have read about her case (including prior statements from her own family about what she was involved in and doing that evening), but we will soon see what "spin" the show puts on the events and her case (and how close or far from the truth they fall).

Here's hoping that the show mentions actual facts and relevant interviews! And may LE soon catch the monster responsible.

play by play of ID show

Sunday May 2, 2010 11pm - Diaz phoned Sherre Gilbert about Shannan

a short time later that same night Pak phoned Sherre Gilbert about Shannan

no mention of Hackett's reported call to Mari yet

The night Shannan disappeared, Pak only looked for her a short time. He feared being arrested when Coletti told him he had phoned police, so Pak quickly left Oak Beach.

5:10 am Shannan went to Coletti's - she only stepped inside the door & bolted when he told her he was phoning police. his wife was also home, upstairs getting dressed as he & his wife were going upstate to an antique car show that day.

35 min later an officer responds to Coletti's call - but the officer doesn't know about the sex arrangement Gilbert had with Brewer & he doesn't know about Brewer. So, he just drives around looking for Gilbert & Pak, and then leaves.

May 8th - Sherre & her sister Sara go to Oak Beach and knock on doors to ask questions about Shannan. They talk with Brewer but he claims he knows nothing and just told them Shannan acted bizarre the night she was at his home. As they were leaving they found Shannan's earring at the bottom of his steps.

Two weeks after Shannan's disappearance, police have still not linked Shannan's 911 call to Coletti's call. The Gilbert's provide Shannan's phone records to police and then the link is finally made and an investigation begins.

Police extensively question Pak, Diaz & Brewer and search Brewer's home & vehicle to no avail. Police don't believe any of the 3 had anything to do with her disappearance.

police did canine & aerial searches and did not locate Shannan

summer comes/brambles are too thick for police to search more

family begs/pleads for them to find Shannan

December, a routine search by Mallia & his dog turns up the 1st body

appears bodies were "tossed" under the brambles, just off the grassy area to the side of the road....all similarly wrapped in burlap...all strangled...all sex workers...but none with a metal plate in the jaw like Shannan.

Sherre & Mari said the media attention then was overwhelming. Mari couldn't leave her home. But Sherre said the media helped to bring Shannan's case to the forefront and *forced* police to look harder for her.

No mention whatsoever of Hackett thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjberry5954