Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wset.com/story/28199815/...ormation-on-car-in-lyon-sisters-disappearance

BREAKING: Police Want Information on Car in Lyon Sisters Disappearance

Montgomery Co., MD - Police want information about a vehicle they believe was involved in the 1975 disappearance of the Lyon sisters.

The car is described at a large, white, 4-door, possibly an early 70's model Chrysler New Yorker.

Montgomery County Police tell ABC 13 the car was possibly in the Bedford County area.

In November police asked the public for information about a station wagon that may have been involved in the girls' abduction. They said it may have been seen in Bedford County and hidden in a barn, shed, or outbuilding. Police said it was possible that vehicle was still around in Maryland or Virginia.

Sheila Lyon, 12, and Katherine Lyon, 10, were last seen at a Wheaton, MD shopping center in March 1975. Police believe they may be buried on Taylor's Mountain in Thaxton.

The persons of interest Lloyd Welch, Jr. and his uncle Richard Welch have family in that area. Richard Welch owns land on the mountain.

A multi-jurisdictional grand jury in Bedford may hear more testimony in the case next Friday.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is assisting law enforcement.

Thomas, the younger cousin, may have implicated himself, when prior to being publicly named (which happen just five days ago) and prior to Richard being named as the second person of interst, phoned, talked for 38 minutes with his Uncle Richard and met with Richard and Richard's wife ON THE DAY THAT LLOYD WAS NAMED AS A PERSON OF INTEREST. This is described on the top of page two of the search warrant attachment:

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wset/SKMBT_60115022314160.pdf

The phone conversation is only described as "lengthy" on the search warrant, but in other news reports it was reported as 38 minutes or thereabout.

There could be an innocent explanation, such as worrying over the family name, but there is also the explanation that they were trying to get their stories straight, or deciding to come clean with some minor involvement.

But obviously, when Richard because a person of interest (we still don't know how or why), the police looked at his past phone calls and discovered his call and meeting with Thomas. I would speculate that after figuring out Thomas called Richard, they got both their phone's locations, and surprise, they met the day Lloyd was named as a person of interest and the public asked for information on Lloyd.

Of course one would expect the police to ask Thomas, Richard and his wife what they were talking about. The police did and summarized the reports as "conflicting" as described in the search warrant, but in my opinion, innocent summaries of conversations often naturally conflict.

Obviously at age 10 or 11, Thomas could not be more than a pawn or a bit player or witness in 1975.

If Lloyd mentioned Thomas and/or Richard prior to the phone call, Thomas's actions might actually slightly confirm Richard's story.
But it's just as likely, Thomas first came into the investigation with his own phone call. The police could then go to Lloyd and ask, "How is Thomas involved?" Of course any answer from Lloyd is unreliable.

I am not really surprised by one pervert walking past another pervert and not calling the police, especially if they are relatives. I am somewhat surprised that someome stuck in jail for decades (Lloyd) would not try to trade any information on a murder he was not involved in. Lloyd may be stupid, but over the years, it would occur to him, I could get parole if I help solve a double murder.
Your post makes the odd assumption that, prior to the Feb 2014 press conference naming LLW as person of interest, LE had not yet interviewed or notified Richard and/or Thomas Welch about Lloyd Welch's accusations concerning the two of them.

http://www.wset.com/story/28199815/...ormation-on-car-in-lyon-sisters-disappearance

BREAKING: Police Want Information on Car in Lyon Sisters Disappearance

Montgomery Co., MD - Police want information about a vehicle they believe was involved in the 1975 disappearance of the Lyon sisters.

The car is described at a large, white, 4-door, possibly an early 70's model Chrysler New Yorker.

Montgomery County Police tell ABC 13 the car was possibly in the Bedford County area.

In November police asked the public for information about a station wagon that may have been involved in the girls' abduction. They said it may have been seen in Bedford County and hidden in a barn, shed, or outbuilding. Police said it was possible that vehicle was still around in Maryland or Virginia.

Sheila Lyon, 12, and Katherine Lyon, 10, were last seen at a Wheaton, MD shopping center in March 1975. Police believe they may be buried on Taylor's Mountain in Thaxton.

The persons of interest Lloyd Welch, Jr. and his uncle Richard Welch have family in that area. Richard Welch owns land on the mountain.

A multi-jurisdictional grand jury in Bedford may hear more testimony in the case next Friday.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is assisting law enforcement.

download (7).jpg

Maybe something like this. This a 1972 Chrysler New Yorker.

Kind of a low bottom for driving around on the mountain, but okay. It's quite possible that more than one vehicle was involved, and that one was seen in Maryland, while one was seen in Virginia.

View attachment 70073

Maybe something like this. This a 1972 Chrysler New Yorker.

All of the television news stations should broadcast a photo of what the car would possibly look like. No disrespect to my Mama or any other woman but some women just don't have a clue what a certain type of vehicle is when you describe it. Especially the older generation, some of which have never driven a vehicle in their lives. And speaking for myself, I know exactly what makes and models of cars I've had and driven, but I couldn't tell you what a 70's Chrysler New Yorker looked like if my life depended on it. Google is definitely my best friend!

All of the television news stations should broadcast a photo of what the car would possibly look like. No disrespect to my Mama or any other woman but some women just don't have a clue what a certain type of vehicle is when you describe it. Especially the older generation, some of which have never driven a vehicle in their lives. And speaking for myself, I know exactly what makes and models of cars I've had and driven, but I couldn't tell you what a 70's Chrysler New Yorker looked like if my life depended on it. Google is definitely my best friend!

Me too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm from the area and as a kid went to the mall on avg a few times a week with my mother throughout the 1970's. She liked sewing and really enjoyed Dannemn's fabric store and Woodward and Lothrop, both at the east end of the mall. There was no Giant Food at Wheaton Plaza. On the Southeast Side of the plaza across the parking lot there was an A&P grocery store my mother liked to visit. I actually still own today a few Colonial Like dinner plates from that store from the time that she got for "free" by purchasing her groceries there.

"Obviously at age 10 or 11, Thomas could not be more than a pawn or a bit player or witness in 1975."

I wouldn't be quick to make this assumption, this is one really weird extended family. They are 100x weirder than the Adams family.

Look up Chrysler New Yorker Station Wagon...I can find pics of 1965 ones pretty easily, but didn't see late 60s or early 70s.

I agree and (as a former 5th grade teacher-10 years old) not all 10 year olds are the same and I taught a few that may have had the potential to be involved actively in this.

Think there was a Giant at Wheaton Plaza but not attached. No A & P that I remember in Wheaton just in DC where my grandparents shopped. If there had been an A & P in Wheaton, I think my parents would have grocery shopped there, also. Actually lived in Wheaton before there was a Wheaton Plaza and before phone service was available!

I agree and (as a former 5th grade teacher-10 years old) not all 10 year olds are the same and I taught a few that may have had the potential to be involved actively in this.

Der600, could you be more specific when you say a few "may have had the potential to be involved actively in this"?

Do you mean you can imagine their behavior allowing for them to ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE in the abduction of especially young girls?

There is a wagon version...

One news reporter told me she was trying to find out from LE, whether they are ALSO STILL looking for the station wagon.

Correct me if I am wrong, but to my knowledge--the latest Chrysler vehicle they are looking for WAS NOT specified as a station wagon.

Once again, it potentially could happen, but in this case we are talking about two victims in a fairly well traveled, urban area. Most ten year olds do not even pick up their own dirty dishes and laundry without being reminded, let alone clean up crime scenes without leaving a trace of evidence! Then, getting the bodies all the way down to Taylor's Mountain with no car would have been interesting! Even if a ten yr old did participate, the adults involved would have to be much, much more culpable. But it really sounds to me as if the eleven year old mentioned by LLW was actually a secondary victim rather than a potential defendant. It just gives me a worse opinion of the adults, here.

It was hard to recall, but there was a Giant there just north of the Wards Store, so I was wrong. I only remember now going in it a single time I think it was to buy a soda.

Bumping for Sheila and Katherine Lyon. This week will be the 40th annivarsary of their dissappearence. we will never stop searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l