Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police pinpoint Va. mountain for 2 girls missing since '75

Three detectives pulled up to a rugged piece of land here, a 220-mile drive from their offices in suburban Maryland...

...The trip, six months ago, had come after significant progress in their efforts to solve an indelible, heartbreaking mystery — the 1975 disappearance of two Montgomery County girls, Sheila Lyon, 12, and her sister, Katherine, 10...

...The detectives had zeroed in on a man who had family connections to the land — a sex offender who had gone so far as to tell detectives he’d left that mall with the Lyon sisters, according to court papers...

...Their interest in Lloyd Welch led to an interest in his relatives, including an uncle, Richard Welch of Hyattsville. Richard Welch owned a parcel of land in Bedford. Next to that parcel is 34 acres formerly owned by Richard Welch’s sister, according to the affidavits...

...With about two dozen people, including county and state investigators, police were ready to search the mountain known as Taylors Mountain.

40 years and their parents and brothers are still alive...please bring these girls home..praying we hear something very soon.

It started in Maryland. Will it end on the mountain?
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 7:57 am
40 years after sisters Sheila and Katherine Lyon disappeared from a Maryland mall, the search for answers goes on 250 miles away in Thaxton
http://www.newsadvance.com/news/loc...cle_1895eb1c-d2e6-11e4-803b-2b11225374af.html
Sheila and Katherine Lyon might be getting ready to celebrate each others' birthdays this weekend if they were alive.
But today marks 40 years since the sisters disappeared from a shopping mall in Wheaton, Maryland, and they're presumed dead by authorities.
more at link.

Forty years since the girls disappeared. Looking forward to a resolution.

Family members ask for help in Roanoke City's cold case.

ROANOKE (WSLS 10) - The families of two missing girls are hoping to get answers about their loved ones disappearances nearly 40 years ago.

Angela Rader and Tammy Akers' cold case is one of the oldest in Roanoke city dating back to 1977. Walter Rader was 24 years old when his little sister Angela disappeared.

http://www.wsls.com/story/28974645/family-members-ask-for-help-in-roanoke-citys-cold-case

Family members ask for help in Roanoke City's cold case.

ROANOKE (WSLS 10) - The families of two missing girls are hoping to get answers about their loved ones disappearances nearly 40 years ago.

Angela Rader and Tammy Akers' cold case is one of the oldest in Roanoke city dating back to 1977. Walter Rader was 24 years old when his little sister Angela disappeared.

http://www.wsls.com/story/28974645/family-members-ask-for-help-in-roanoke-citys-cold-case

Last Fall, Montgomery County Assistant Police Chief Russ Hamill said, “I believe we’ll get to the bottom of where many crimes occurred by the end of the investigation.” “Two little girls were the main victims but there are many others ….”
“We’re turning over a lot of stones and most of the stones that we’ve turned over have yielded positive information and evidence,” said Bedford County, Sheriff Mike Brown "It seems like every rock we turn over we develop a lead" ...

Recall the multiple dig sites on multiple occasions by LE at the old Parker house on Taylors Mountain. All of the digging on the area of the property was closest to where the trailer home of RAW1's nephew and LLW2's cousin Allen Parker Jr. (b.9-30-53 d.9-28-99) was located.

It is certainly possible that these cases are related. Two double abductions that occurred only 23 months apart, and these two girls (Angela Rader and Tammy Akers) lived about 30 miles from Taylors Mountain where the Lyon sisters are believed to have been taken to. Double abductions are rare, and the time and proximity of both cases are very conspicuous. I would suspect LE is looking into the possibility these cases are related. btw, there was suspicion that Earl Bramblett b.1942 - d.2003 (later convicted of killing a family of 4 and executed by VA) was responsible for the disappearance of Angela and Tammy, since they did some work for him in his small silk screen print shop. He could have been involved, and perhaps was part of a group of sexual predators. You wonder if he had any connection to Taylors Mountain.

It is interesting that there have been no recent media reports about the Lyon sisters case. It seemed like every week LE had something to say, and it usually included a plea to the public and certain family members to come forward with information. They have not asked for help from the public in a while, makes you wonder if they got what they needed and are busy assembling their case. You can also consider if there is something to the timing of WSLS running the piece on the missing Roanoke girls.

RichardLewis,
Very good comments.
I agree with you about there most likely being a group of people.

What is so scary to me is:
Imagine how large a group could have grown in 40 years of time!!

I know that telephone answering machines were quite rare in 1975. The first one I saw was in 1981, about a year before I bought my first one. I don't know for sure but I would assume that they were also still rather expensive in 1975 - like maybe a couple of hundred dollars. The value of 200 1975 dollars would be nearly $900 in today's money.

Hello all have there been any updates on results of the searches on the mountain? this site has been quiet lately.

Hello all have there been any updates on results of the searches on the mountain? this site has been quiet lately.

For the past month or two, I have not seen anything in the news on the Lyon sisters. I have seen anything on the Taylor Mountain search or any other aspect of the case. A couple of people were commenting that the 40th anniversary (late March) came and went without any news coverage. But a few summary news stories were written earlier this year.

IMHO, either the police have nothing and it may be ten more years before someone else is named as another person of interest OR the police may have something they are slowly and privately developing.

I'm hoping that what we are hearing is the sound of LE getting all of their ducks in a row.

Wishing all Mothers who are wondering where their loved ones are can find the answers they seek. I wish it were today.

Happy Mothers Day to all.

Missing children article in LA Times mentions Lyon sisters and other cases:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...-missing-children-cases/ar-BBjvBWQ?ocid=HPDHP

I only read a couple of short articles on the Etan Patz case, but it sounds like even with a confession and multiple admissions, the jury was hung by one member. Without a body, even if a person-of-interest in the Lyon-sisters case said something, a conviction seems difficult even if LE gets all its ducks in a row.

I only read a couple of short articles on the Etan Patz case, but it sounds like even with a confession and multiple admissions, the jury was hung by one member. Without a body, even if a person-of-interest in the Lyon-sisters case said something, a conviction seems difficult even if LE gets all its ducks in a row.
I followed the Patz case pretty closely, and I was shocked the jury only had one holdout. Maybe the evidence was more compelling than it sounded from the news reports. Yes, it is tough to get a conviction after all these years, but a big issue in the Patz case is the police had followed another guy for years, a convicted pedophile who is said to have dated Etan's babysitter. Yet that wasn't the guy they charged and brought to trial.

I hope investigators are able to find the Lyon sisters' bodies or something definitive that could bring closure to their family. They have one location to focus on - that's farther than police ever got with Etan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734