Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is the case still open? Maybe more specifically, have authorities ruled out ever finding their bodies? I was wondering if the documentary might have stirred someone's conscience and might compel them to finally say something. Or maybe it made things worse for LLW2 (with his fellow inamtes) and he'd gladly exchange more info for, I don't know, prison privileges? My hope is that the girls' remains can be found and brought home before their parents pass away. Though I'm sure their brothers will never give up, either.

Reactions: IDK
Is the case still open? Maybe more specifically, have authorities ruled out ever finding their bodies? I was wondering if the documentary might have stirred someone's conscience and might compel them to finally say something. Or maybe it made things worse for LLW2 (with his fellow inamtes) and he'd gladly exchange more info for, I don't know, prison privileges? My hope is that the girls' remains can be found and brought home before their parents pass away. Though I'm sure their brothers will never give up, either.

Reading _The Last Stone_ now. Interesting book, definitely. It doesn't say anything about why they released the Long Hair Man sketch awhile before they named LLW as a POI/suspect.

I really think there is more to tell about how they found Lloyd than just his statement magically appearing.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on the idea of a conspiracy by some in LE. I mean, how does the ONE piece of physical evidence to possibly tie the crime to Taylor's Mountain...just disappear the day after it was found? It doesn't take a vast conspiracy for that to happen, just one person who has relatives on the mountain (what are the odds at least one person in LE in Bedford doesn't?)

While one person has been convicted after pleading guilty of the abduction and murder of Katherine and Sheila Lyon, the case is far from "solved".

The girls' bodies have never been located, recovered, or identified. Many questions remain.

Who was the Tape Recorder Man? How did he figure into the crime?

Why did LE withhold from the public the sketch of the Long Haired Man for 40 years?

Who was the person who contacted the Lyon family to demand a 10 thousand dollar ransom? Was it Welch?

So much of what LE has stated in their narration of how things occurred sounds like early informant stories about Raymond Mileski. How did he play in the eventual identification of Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr.? How was Mileski involved? Who else was involved?

Investigators have expressed beliefs that several other persons were involved in the girl's disappearance and likely murder - but only one was named as a person of interest, and no charges were filed against him.

The case remains open to further investigation.

Last edited:
This may have been posted before, but I was googling and happened to see that Richard Allen Welch died August 11, 2020. I won’t link to the obituary, but it’s out there if interested.
He was never charged with anything, but so much time had passed it would have been hard to make any charges stick, if guilty, IMO.

May Sheila and Katherine continue to Rest In Peace. Precious angels.

This may have been posted before, but I was googling and happened to see that Richard Allen Welch died August 11, 2020. I won’t link to the obituary, but it’s out there if interested.
He was never charged with anything, but so much time had passed it would have been hard to make any charges stick, if guilty, IMO.

May Sheila and Katherine continue to Rest In Peace. Precious angels.
Whatever other crimes Richard Welch may have committed, the only potential evidence which linked him to the disappearance of the Lyon sisters was the ever changing stories of his nephew Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr.

Lloyd was the only person ever convicted of kidnapping and killing Sheila and Kate Lyon, and that conviction was the result of a guilty plea, rather than on any forensic evidence. Lloyd Welch, Jr. is a serial liar whose testimony on anything is highly suspect and probably would not have withstood any cross examination in court.

It is very likely (in my opinion) that Lloyd did not commit this crime all on his own, but that he probably was involved with others. Just who those others were is the question.

Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr.
Convicted of murdering the Lyon Sisters

LINK:

Last edited:
I wonder where Lloyd Welch was the summer of 1975?? Sheila and Katherine were kidnapped in 1974 and there were 5 missing girls from Jacksonville, FL the summer of 1975. Jean Marie Schoenberg was abducted by a man with hair “styled like Elvis Presley”. Heartbreaking!

* editing to add it does look like a man was arrested and questioned in some of the cases, but can’t find anything about a trial or conviction.

Jean Marie Schoenberg does have her own thread here:

Last edited:
*...editing to add it does look like a man was arrested and questioned in some of the cases, but can’t find anything about a trial or conviction...

You might be referring to the serial killer Paul John Knowles who was captured after a killing spree. He "confessed" to having abducted and killed the young Anderson sisters. He told investigators where he had supposedly left their bodies, but they were never found. This led some investigators to think Knowles may have lied about killing them - taking credit to boost his "score". Knowles was killed while attempting to escape a short time later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back