Sheri Coleman, sons Garett and Gavin murdered 5-5-09, Columbia, IL. Pt1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, there are a serious amount of naive people posting in article comments. More so than with any other case I've seen. Since when does the fact that someone knows you, prevent them from being capable of murder? Good lord, Ted Bundy knew people too.

Here is a briefing with the Major Case Squad on video. Not sure this is the presser mentioned before, but it is interesting.:

http://www.kmov.com/video/topvideo-index.html?nvid=358938

I was thinking the same thing, Suzi, when I was reading the comments on Sheri's condolence page. There will be so many crushed people if and when they discover the minister's son and a devout Christian could turn out to be a monster.

Wow...just catching up on this case. It is sounding more and more like Chris come unwound. One of the comments I read connected him to a girl in St Louis, but I wont mention her name because she is a real person with a myspace account who can easily be found. Very disheartening, I like to listen to Joyce. She is a great author and speaker and I find her to be quite engaging, I guess she's not for everyone, but I think her style is what some of us need. I had to laugh at the comments about a possible affair between she and Chris...she's probably old enough to be his grandmother. I think she had the best of intentions by going to his neighborhood, probably to comfort him as a friend and a minister. I thought I read that he was taken by ambulance from the scene because he was so hysterical. Maybe she got there after he left and stayed to comfort the grief-stricken neighbors, again within the realm of a minister's job. I think by "uplift" she meant what evangelicals like to call "lifting someone up" in prayer...not uplifting like cheering them up, but literally "lifting" them towards the Lord, because only He can deal with their pain. I also had to laugh about the analysis of their car trunks...sheesh, if anything ever happens to me, I can hear it now : "She had WHAT?!"...so some of us are cleaner than others, big whoop. And my husband's name is the only one on our last 2 mortgages because his credit is better than mine, so I can see that not being a factor as well. The calling the police from the gym & the potential "girlfriend" in St Louis, those set off the bells for me.

Wow...just catching up on this case. It is sounding more and more like Chris come unwound. One of the comments I read connected him to a girl in St Louis, but I wont mention her name because she is a real person with a myspace account who can easily be found. Very disheartening, I like to listen to Joyce. She is a great author and speaker and I find her to be quite engaging, I guess she's not for everyone, but I think her style is what some of us need. I had to laugh at the comments about a possible affair between she and Chris...she's probably old enough to be his grandmother. I think she had the best of intentions by going to his neighborhood, probably to comfort him as a friend and a minister. I thought I read that he was taken by ambulance from the scene because he was so hysterical. Maybe she got there after he left and stayed to comfort the grief-stricken neighbors, again within the realm of a minister's job. I think by "uplift" she meant what evangelicals like to call "lifting someone up" in prayer...not uplifting like cheering them up, but literally "lifting" them towards the Lord, because only He can deal with their pain. I also had to laugh about the analysis of their car trunks...sheesh, if anything ever happens to me, I can hear it now : "She had WHAT?!"...so some of us are cleaner than others, big whoop. And my husband's name is the only one on our last 2 mortgages because his credit is better than mine, so I can see that not being a factor as well. The calling the police from the gym & the potential "girlfriend" in St Louis, those set off the bells for me.

Thanks for the insight on JM.

Regarding the bold part. My husband's name is the only one on our mortgage, he bought the house before we met, and since he has a low interest rate, we have never refinanced or taken a second. But, my name is on the deed, and it was my understanding that Sherrie's name was taken off the deed. It is my further understanding that names can't be changed or added to or taken off a mortgage without a refinance. But, the deed, as long as the person signs off of their name being taken off, this is pretty easy. In IL one goes to the county courthouse and does this.

ETA - I have been pondering why someone would take the spouse off the deed. A couple thougths came to me - one, if someone is trying to subvert IL law on the marital home - being on the deed or off is not enough to do this. But, someone might think it would. When I got married 15 years ago, house was in DH's name, and I talked to my attorney about this, if something happened to him could his ex or my step sons come after the home as his sole property and was told no they couldn't but just to make it easier, get my name on the deed, but deed or no, it would be the marital home and subject to IL law on that. So we put my name on the deed.

The other is, if one spouse might be facing a lien or judgment, taking the property out of that spouses name MIGHT protect the house from a lien or judgment. But, I am not 100% on this one.

Thanks for the insight on JM.

Regarding the bold part. My husband's name is the only one on our mortgage, he bought the house before we met, and since he has a low interest rate, we have never refinanced or taken a second. But, my name is on the deed, and it was my understanding that Sherrie's name was taken off the deed. It is my further understanding that names can't be changed or added to or taken off a mortgage without a refinance. But, the deed, as long as the person signs off of their name being taken off, this is pretty easy. In IL one goes to the county courthouse and does this.

Now that is strange!:waitasec: i have never heard of a spouse being removed from the deed unless they were divorced.

Now that is strange!:waitasec: i have never heard of a spouse being removed from the deed unless they were divorced.

It is strange. See the edit to my previous post for a couple thoughts I had on why someone's name might come off.

I really didn't mean to infer he was having an affair with Joyce Meyer, but perhaps someone they travel with on a regular basis. It would give him an opportunity to carry on with another woman. Is the woman in St. Louis associated with the Meyer's Ministry?

While I know what "uplift" means in reference to church speak, it wasn't the part that bothered me. I just got the feeling that Joyce Meyer knows more about the situation and has a reason to suspect he could be involved in some way. I think it is great she was there to comfort the neighbors, but it does seem odd she wouldn't rush off to the hospital to be with Chris at such a time. It would be more of what I would expect a boss, personal friend, and preacher-type person to do.

I know I was just making a mention that it would be quite the scandal IF Joyce was involved with Chris. But that's not my feeling at this point. I still think it's odd she rushed over so quickly.

I think we all know what uplifting means, I know I was just using it as a play on words type thing. :)

Beautiful pic of mom and the boys at the below link:

http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stor...s-090505-columbia-investigation.2015271d.html

(snip and more at link)
According to investigators the husband Chris Coleman was not at work on the overnight shift as had first been reported. Detectives are clarifying that Coleman was at home with his family and had left early Tuesday morning to go to the gym. According to police, while Coleman was at the gym he attempted to call his family, but when he could not get an answer he called police.

The Major Case Squad says it was police who first arrived at the scene and found the bodies of the three victims. They say Coleman arrived home a short time later.

Police will not go into timelines or give any specifics regarding what happened at what time. Click here to read Laurie Waters' blog.

Beautiful pic of mom and the boys at the below link:

http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stor...s-090505-columbia-investigation.2015271d.html

(snip and more at link)
According to investigators the husband Chris Coleman was not at work on the overnight shift as had first been reported. Detectives are clarifying that Coleman was at home with his family and had left early Tuesday morning to go to the gym. According to police, while Coleman was at the gym he attempted to call his family, but when he could not get an answer he called police.

The Major Case Squad says it was police who first arrived at the scene and found the bodies of the three victims. They say Coleman arrived home a short time later.

Police will not go into timelines or give any specifics regarding what happened at what time. Click here to read Laurie Waters' blog.

Didn't earlier reports state that Coleman had found the bodies? The biggest red flag for me is that he called police to do a welfare check, when his wife simply did not answer the phone (why was he calling her from the gym?). Wonder what the time of death was...

Awwww, it is a wonderful photo of the three of them together. :(

Why have we not seen Chris' photo yet?! I want to know what he looks like. Is his family still carrying on like he is this fabulous guy that could never do such a thing?

Awwww, it is a wonderful photo of the three of them together. :(

Why have we not seen Chris' photo yet?! I want to know what he looks like. Is his family still carrying on like he is this fabulous guy that could never do such a thing?

Yes, where is a picture of him??

I really didn't mean to infer he was having an affair with Joyce Meyer, but perhaps someone they travel with on a regular basis. It would give him an opportunity to carry on with another woman. Is the woman in St. Louis associated with the Meyer's Ministry?

While I know what "uplift" means in reference to church speak, it wasn't the part that bothered me. I just got the feeling that Joyce Meyer knows more about the situation and has a reason to suspect he could be involved in some way. I think it is great she was there to comfort the neighbors, but it does seem odd she wouldn't rush off to the hospital to be with Chris at such a time. It would be more of what I would expect a boss, personal friend, and preacher-type person to do.

bolding by me.
It sounds like she was trying to keep the neighbors from becoming suspicious that Coleman might be the perp. Distracting them from the facts? unless she was trying to get more followers whose wallets she could uplift.

I just think she had started to distance herself early on. How soon was this out on the news? I wonder how Joyce found out so quickly?

I just think she had started to distance herself early on. How soon was this out on the news? I wonder how Joyce found out so quickly?

How big is this town?

I would think news like this would travel like wild fire once the police started showing up in the area.

imo

I don't know, that seems weird. Home all night, heads to gym and I am just wondering how long one would be there? And someone sees him leave and then goes in.

The pix I have seen show security cam on main entrance - at least the one I saw - so they should have something. If the person went in the garage or something, I would think there still might be something. Plus the city's camera at the end of the street/entrance to subdivision, etc. They have said nothing about, we saw this person, etc.

Very odd.

Depending on where he was at a gym in South County it would only be about
a 10 minute drive for him to check on them himself

It doesn't look good for him but I am not sure he is guilty. There isn't enough information out there at this point for anyone to really have anything to go on. My husband gets up early in the mornings before he has to go to work to go to the gym. So I find nothing strange about Chris getting up early to go to the gym. I also don't find anything strange about him calling the police to do a welfare check. We don't know how many times he had tried to reach his wife on the phone. And they had been having threats made against them so maybe it was a natural reaction...who knows...we all know the media has a way of spinning things and also of reporting things before all the facts come in.

BTW: I love Joyce Meyer. She has a unique way about opening your eyes up to the Word of God and making sense of stuff. And quite honestly I don't believe she is "all about the money" as some of you have implied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member