Sheri Coleman, sons Garett and Gavin murdered 5-5-09, Columbia, IL. Pt2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure seems like another case of a spouse that wants to be free of his family/financial burdens for either the girlfriend/mistress or single life in general. This was obviously premeditated for a long period of time. He has wanted out for awhile, but felt that he could not afford to leave or didn't want the stigma of being the man who walked on his wife and kids. That would hardly fit with the perception people had of him.

For months of planning it was not well thought out or executed.

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with your line of thinking, last night while I was recapping this case for my husband he said the exact same thing. Almost word for word. All I can add is that if this turns out to be the scenario...that man is a selfish, ugly excuse for a husband and a father. Since he seems to have been raised to believe in God I hope he realizes that when convicted prison will be a vacation compared to his afterlife in hell. Sorry, but I am becoming increasingly weary of cowardly men and woman who steal the lives of their loved ones without a seconds thought of what is right and wrong.

It sure seems like another case of a spouse that wants to be free of his family/financial burdens for either the girlfriend/mistress or single life in general. This was obviously premeditated for a long period of time. He has wanted out for awhile, but felt that he could not afford to leave or didn't want the stigma of being the man who walked on his wife and kids. That would hardly fit with the perception people had of him.

For months of planning it was not well thought out or executed.

i agree, except i wonder if even tho with all the planning if this is really how originally planned to do this or if something happened to cause him to have to do it now...if she did something to scare him about everyone finding out what he has really been up to -- and he needed to stop her?

This is just a guess, but sometimes you have to look at the back-ground noise,............ie rumor and such...........

I don't recall where I saw it, but one of the boy's teachers said the child came to school all excited because they were going to Florida and Disneyworld. IIRC, this happened a week or two before the murders. But then a few days later he came disappointed and said his mom was concerned about taking him out of school for so long, so they weren't going.

Makes you think there was a trip planned to Florida, for whatever reason, and plans changed for some reason, not necessarily what the child was told. As the alleged g/f is said to be a friend of Sheri's AND the husband's g/f, it would appear there's a possibility Sheri found out about the affair. You add in the reports of the sound of an argument being heard by a neighbor the day of the murders............

It appears this was premeditated by the cloak and dagger threats and such and the timing was chosen because possibly the wife finding out about the other woman. Oh, and her very own friend no less!

JMHO
fran

This is just a guess, but sometimes you have to look at the back-ground noise,............ie rumor and such...........

I don't recall where I saw it, but one of the boy's teachers said the child came to school all excited because they were going to Florida and Disneyworld. IIRC, this happened a week or two before the murders. But then a few days later he came disappointed and said his mom was concerned about taking him out of school for so long, so they weren't going.

Makes you think there was a trip planned to Florida, for whatever reason, and plans changed for some reason, not necessarily what the child was told. As the alleged g/f is said to be a friend of Sheri's AND the husband's g/f, it would appear there's a possibility Sheri found out about the affair. You add in the reports of the sound of an argument being heard by a neighbor the day of the murders............

It appears this was premeditated by the cloak and dagger threats and such and the timing was chosen because possibly the wife finding out about the other woman. Oh, and her very own friend no less!

JMHO
fran

oh yes i agree - but i sorta wonder if the plan was hurried up and he acted on it sooner, or he just overlooked how conflicting some of this scheme is or would sound??

Hello All,

KCouture, Chestergal, "everybod" else -- thanks for helping with those "bales" and getting me/all of us to videos, graphics etc. Also, welcome to our new folks -- good to have you join alongside us. Hoping all of our "local" to this situation are safe and that the storms subside for you all.

Can sleuthing get sad or what -- can looking at this type of thing tear you up or what? This has been stressful looking, hasn't it? It is hard to see crime after crime -- so much wickedness and so much pain caused.

Fran...your mind was saying what I was about to write. We have a fairly good clue of what the charges will be when the arrest comes down -- premeditated murder of three people:

From this page (a reiteration of what we heard in the conference):
>>"We believe that this was not a random act, that it was actually intended to kill the three members of this family."<<

So...what does a fellow like Chris sit there thinking now? Does he think, "They don't have anything on me" (arrogant). Does he think, "Well, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of the weeks I have before the forensics come in." Can he leave the state -- if not named suspect?

W

woha! im really new here and since im off work today and its slow in here i decided to read up on some of the older cases you long timers have been throwing around - i just saw a pic of mark hacking and almost fell off the chair! they could be brothers! creepy...

oh yes i agree - but i sorta wonder if the plan was hurried up and he acted on it sooner, or he just overlooked how conflicting some of this scheme is or would sound??

This is where in my mind that I look at some of the background noise, (rumor). IMHO, I believe he planned on killing Sheri, ie the 'threats' etc., but I'm NOT sure about the boys (being in the ORIGINAL plan).

I've seen it mentioned two places, one said that Sheri and the oldest boy put up a fight and that they showed signs of more injury than just strangulation and then today I saw it said for at least one of the boys, that he'd put up a fight.

It's possible he planned Sheri, was rushed into it at an inopportune time because she may have forced his hand because of the adultry, AND one of the boys may have awoken during the commission of his assault on Sheri and he felt he had no choice.

Just an idea,
fran

This really, really pains me to talk about the actual crime. :(

woha! im really new here and since im off work today and its slow in here i decided to read up on some of the older cases you long timers have been throwing around - i just saw a pic of mark hacking and almost fell off the chair! they could be brothers! creepy...

It really is a {creepy} resemblance, isn't it? :mad:

JMHO
fran

It really is a {creepy} resemblance, isn't it? :mad:

JMHO
fran

from what i have read - at least his(hacking) family was "normal" and treated her family with compassion...im just not seeing any of his family especially him even trying to do right by them...just sickening...

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with your line of thinking, last night while I was recapping this case for my husband he said the exact same thing. Almost word for word. All I can add is that if this turns out to be the scenario...that man is a selfish, ugly excuse for a husband and a father. Since he seems to have been raised to believe in God I hope he realizes that when convicted prison will be a vacation compared to his afterlife in hell. Sorry, but I am becoming increasingly weary of cowardly men and woman who steal the lives of their loved ones without a seconds thought of what is right and wrong.

ITA. The unfathomable, IMHO, is that CC was in the presence of spiritual teaching, praise and worship & accountability meetings constantly. If he is the , what kind of malevolent and rebellious must he have been hiding? How did at least two spiritual leaders not recognize that something was going on?

We know that "no" suspect has been named yet -- but let's just say "if" Chris was "the" suspect they were talking about in the press conference yesterday...

I'm wondering if Chris has a realistic, real loving friend or many more that might read this and then go to him and say, "Chris...with all my heart, I can't believe, I don't want to believe that you did this, but I have been fooled before in life..." -- could they tell him that "if" he did this, continuing on without turning himself in and confessing, is only going to turn this whole thing into something so much more ugly than it already is. "If" he did this -- taking this to court to try to get him off or something more lenient is only going to victimize many many more people.

Might a friend like that say -- "Chris, if you did this and this goes to court, do you know that everyone in a jury room is going to be forced to look at the corpses of your family having been so violently murdered?" Might they inform him that any kind of dirt that could be slung about his family members and anyone he ever loved and got dragged into this on his behalf, WILL be slung to try to get him off and that many many more people will be injured in the course of trying to get him what? Off?

Maybe I'm appealing to people who really do love and who really did know, or thought they knew, Chris and Sheri and who could really drop all guard and go to him with the "if" and say -- "if" -- can you stop here now. They will know that they took their part to stand the hard road and face what they could never want to believe -- they will also know far more "if" Chris does get officially named as suspect, and this goes to trial. The latter being the circumstances, some very hard things will be learned.

IF there is another suspect -- nothing will have been lost by going to Chris, not one thing.

W

Hello All,
So...what does a fellow like Chris sit there thinking now? Does he think, "They don't have anything on me" (arrogant). Does he think, "Well, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of the weeks I have before the forensics come in." Can he leave the state -- if not named suspect?
W

IMHO, he's already proven he's a coward, just like those that preceeded him, ie Jason Young, Gregg Stebic, Scott Peterson, Brad Cooper, and on and on and on..............

As you note, some of these cases are not solved and some are solved or still being litigated...............I believe he'll take his chances and hide behind his def attorney's shirt-tail.........

He didn't have the nerve to face LE and had to be taken away by ambulance. He then gave somewhat of a police interview but couldn't wait until dusk before lawyering up.

He avoided his in-laws.
He avoided all media.
He avoided, avoided avoided..............he thinks his only way out is by keeping silent.

But he's not as smart as he thinks he is. He made mistakes, BIG MISTAKES and he's going to find out just how much he doesn't know that he thought he did. :mad:

I hope he's having trouble closing his eyes at night. Afraid of what he'll see in those dreams. Afraid of what will happen to him when he opens his eyes and a long-hand of the law is waiting for him with a custom made bracelet.

Like I said, he's a coward and is probably frozen in time,....waiting, waiting, waiting....

JMHO
fran

Hello All,

KCouture, Chestergal, "everybod" else -- thanks for helping with those "bales" and getting me/all of us to videos, graphics etc. Also, welcome to our new folks -- good to have you join alongside us. Hoping all of our "local" to this situation are safe and that the storms subside for you all.

Can sleuthing get sad or what -- can looking at this type of thing tear you up or what? This has been stressful looking, hasn't it? It is hard to see crime after crime -- so much wickedness and so much pain caused.

Fran...your mind was saying what I was about to write. We have a fairly good clue of what the charges will be when the arrest comes down -- premeditated murder of three people:

From this page (a reiteration of what we heard in the conference):
>>"We believe that this was not a random act, that it was actually intended to kill the three members of this family."<<

W

I have a really hard time imagining this guy going to trial. Still harder is to imagine JMM allowing this to go to trial. The potential is for thousands of followers to learn the undoubtedly sordid details - and I bet there's a whole lot we don't know yet, too. Ominous feelings about this.

I haven't popped up on this thread yet, quietly reading and watching the news. I found it rather disturbing, after watching the cemetery video, that it was only CC, his mum, and dad. Yes, they had tissues, but they were pretty much leaning against the car. No flowers, no other support, mom wearing long shorts -- it all seemed so disrespectful to the victims. Maybe it's just me.

However, those are his 2 boys, his wife - why did this moment seem so "off". CC didn't even approach the caskets, or lay a rose. My gosh, when my mom passed, she had a room full of loved ones and yellow roses (her favorite), and it's been 3 years, and I'm still not over it.

Maybe that's why I think CC is handling the deaths so WRONG!!!! (I know, I know, people handle death differently, but this is his own flesh n' blood).

moo

Mel

Many times at gravesides they will just place enough of the larger flower sprays to cover the grave areas and people also send loads of potted plants and other baskets and those will be delved out among family members. I didn't find it odd that all the flowers weren't left there. Usually the funeral home director is the one that send their personnel out to lay the flowers once the bodies are buried or the caretakers of the cemetery. This was very different imo, they already had the graveside services prior to this and then there was a delay before internment.

If he did these horrible crimes then I don't think he could ever approach those caskets knowing that he is the one that put them there. Either he is truly grieving or he is going through the motions with his mom and dad so that he can "appear" to grieve.

I am afraid it is going to be the latter.

imo

Police said Christopher Coleman left home at 2854 Robert Avenue about 5:45 a.m. on May 5 to work out at a gym in St. Louis County. We've discovered that he went to the Gold's Gym in Sappington, which per Map Quest is an 11 mile drive from his home. Map Quest also indicates this is a 15 minute drive, but as we know, he may have encountered traffic.

We do not know his regular routine, so at present it is impossible to tell if he worked out early in the mornings or not. Since we know he was a night security guard for Joyce Meyer Ministries, it could be possible that he routinely worked out after his night shift. But this is pure conjecture.

Gold's Gym does require a scan card. Not sure if they have any cameras. Police would have all of this information.

Per the police, shortly before 7 a.m. (FYI: I heard 6:50 a.m. on the news last night) CC called the police (via 911?) because he could not reach his family by phone. Upon checking the home, the police discovered the bodies.

I'd like to see the cell phone "pings" if the police get them. I'd also like to know when he first called his home and received no answer. If he left at 5:45 a.m. and began calling his house at 6:00 a.m., just as he arrived at the gym, we would be left to believe one of three things:

1. The killer waited nearby and entered the home once he left; or
2. The killer was in the home and knew when he left; or
3. CC killed his family.

Playing devil's advocate, we have to consider the problems the prosecution will face. The broken screen / open window at the rear of the house can raise reasonable doubt. Sure, CC could have staged it. But it is just as likely someone could have entered the house via that entry point. I suppose if the family had, in fact, been receiving threats a potential killer could have been waiting in the woods nearby waiting for him to leave (or in the house before he left). Maybe the killer knew his routine, and decided to finally strike? If the killer entered the home through the back of the house, it would take extra time to get in quietly, but it could be done.

Ultimately, I think that forensics will help the police on this quite a lot. We have no way of knowing yet, but I'm sure that any determination that death occurred outside the time-frame of 5:45 - 7:00 a.m. would leave only CC as the culprit.

Absolutely! It would be one of the first things they would look at plus the so-called threatening notes.
I'm way behind, as usual (stupid work anyway) but I don't know how much handwriting analysis would help with spray painting?

The threatening notes, YES!

I have a really hard time imagining this guy going to trial. Still harder is to imagine JMM allowing this to go to trial. The potential is for thousands of followers to learn the undoubtedly sordid details - and I bet there's a whole lot we don't know yet, too. Ominous feelings about this.

Why would JMM care? It seems to me if they had someone like this in their fold they would want them exposed and due punishment given to insure that their followers know they do not condone actions this horrific by anyone. He was just an employee of JMM. I don't see the church involved other than that.

imo

Hello LindaDanette,

You wrote:
>>ITA. The unfathomable, IMHO, is that CC was in the presence of spiritual teaching, praise and worship & accountability meetings constantly. If he is the , what kind of malevolent and rebellious must he have been hiding? How did at least two spiritual leaders not recognize that something was going on?<<

I think that this is a good question for everyone of us who is looking at this from a particular perspective.

W

I don't think she will live that long - Her cancer and the crap her son is putting her through will probably kill her before then.

G-Nite

Kinda reminds me of Scott's mom - who had her oxygen tank everyday, yet rallied along with her son. She's still alive and well here in San Diego - continuing to fight for an appeal. ick.

If it were my son, I don't know if I could do it. Maybe it's because I have too much knowledge about this stuff. Some people are just naive I guess.

I also wonder where the brother was at the Chester memorial site with CC and his parents!

Best,

Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members