Should Don Imus be fired?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, I am kind of late to this thread; I never watch Imus but I do not think he should be fired. I don't think it was a wise thing for him to say -but First of all, he is a satirist, and it's easy to cross a "line" when you're a satirist. Second, he seems genuinely upset and remorseful that there's a big flap about it.

Thirdly, lot of rap songs say the same thing; and he may have been just "imitating" them.

Therefore, I think the suspension and trying to get together and make amends is just fine; there is no reason for him to lose his job. Good grief, people say the most unbelievable things everyday on TV and RAdio -so things are lax to begin with. I don't think he was trying to be vicious or hateful; I may be wrong - I haven't watched that much of it.

If Imus is fired, then Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh and alot of legislators and others should be fired too, IMO. And many other TV satirists.

I think he was trying to be "cool" or "hip". And he ended up being extremely inappropriate and insulting.

They aren't going to fire him because he makes a lot of money for them.

I don't think he should be fired. I think what he said was rude but whatever I hear people talking like that everyday it seems to be the norm. I don't think he meant to attack personally I think he thought he was being a ''big dog'' and let the chip on his shoulder get the best of him for a moment. My husband is hispanic and we have never came across any racial problems I think people are too quick to throw the racial card in the game. So he had a slip of the tounge yea it was wrong and he shouldnt of said it but he did and now its over. I hear all the time on tv where black people are calling white people ''cracker'' or honky or whatevr and I feel the same way ...roll my eyes and think wow people really need to grow up! Fired? No way! Maybe a class on morals...

Imus loses radio sponsors

Two advertisers have pulled their sponsorship of Don Imus' radio show to protest his racially charged comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.
The office-supply chain Staples and Bigelow Tea Company said Tuesday they were ending their relationship with Imus, who has been suspended for two weeks by MSNBC and CBS Radio.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/11/imus.rutgers/index.html

That'll teach him.

If Imus is fired, then Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh and alot of legislators and others should be fired too, IMO. And many other TV satirists.

Martha-

I agree with most of what you said.

If people that make us squirm and wince are going to get fired, let's go ahead and add to that list: Howard Stern, Rosie O'Donnell, Bill Maher, Donald Trump (fired from what- I don't know- his own company? LOL!) , etc. Let's toss in some mouthy, rude, Democratic Senators for good measure, and while we're at it, Jesse Jackson, Louis Farakhan, and Al Sharpton make me wince, so let's ask them to resign those organizations they head, too.

My point is- where does this end? Imus definitely crossed the line, he has apologized profusely, has lost sponsors, been strung up publicly- where do we stop? He's a SHOCK JOCK!

imo

Imus loses radio sponsors

Two advertisers have pulled their sponsorship of Don Imus' radio show to protest his racially charged comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.
The office-supply chain Staples and Bigelow Tea Company said Tuesday they were ending their relationship with Imus, who has been suspended for two weeks by MSNBC and CBS Radio.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/11/imus.rutgers/index.html

That'll teach him.

Pulling sponsorship from a show because of controversy is like free advertisement for them. I doubt they give a hoot about what he said.

Pulling sponsorship from a show because of controversy is like free advertisement for them. I doubt they give a hoot about what he said.

I totally agree. I remember when Kobe Bryant's rape trial began and Nutella made a HUGE deal about deciding to end their assocation with Kobe. When in reality, their deal was ending and they couldn't afford to extend it so they put out a huge press release saying they were ending their relationship with him due to the allegations. They got so much damn mileage out of that press release. From then on, every article about Kobe and his trial mentioned Nutella pulling their support.

The way I view this whole thing, not that anyone is asking or even interested :D but heck, I'm sitting here at work (slow work week) reading this thread and I've never even heard of Don Imus. I have heard of Howard Stern though :loser: .

I think our "freedom of speech" is getting out of hand. I truly do.. Freedom of speech should not be about insulting others or name calling or saying hateful things. Freedom of speech should be about having your own opinons and being able to express them without getting beat up or thrown in jail or anything like that. I just don't think it's meant to be used to hurt others by degrating them. These so called shock jocks, and even comedians, get out of hand with their remarks. Yes, they can be funny at times but I think there should be some sort of "class" in their delivery.. :twocents:

I dont watch Imus or any of the other shock jocks. So I dont really care if he gets suspended or fired. He said the words, he owns them, deal with the consequences. I do have an issue with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton always going after what someone said rather then addressing the true needs and issues of the Black Community.
The drop out rate
7 out of 10 babys born out of wedlock and into poverty
The continued degradation of black women and violence in hip hop and rap
The continued increase of incarcerated youth and young black men
jobs, education and opportunity

I have a big issue with some hip hop and rap. The words in the music IMO tells kids of all races that it is ok to use those words and that terminology. So on the one hand the Black Leaders fight against the words but on the other hand support the words being broadcast in music validating it to kids.

I dont watch Imus or any of the other shock jocks. So I dont really care if he gets suspended or fired. He said the words, he owns them, deal with the consequences. I do have an issue with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton always going after what someone said rather then addressing the true needs and issues of the Black Community.
The drop out rate
7 out of 10 babys born out of wedlock and into poverty
The continued degradation of black women and violence in hip hop and rap
The continued increase of incarcerated youth and young black men
jobs, education and opportunity

I have a big issue with some hip hop and rap. The words in the music IMO tells kids of all races that it is ok to use those words and that terminology. So on the one hand the Black Leaders fight against the words but on the other hand support the words being broadcast in music validating it to kids.[/quote]

Yup, I agree with this..

I think our "freedom of speech" is getting out of hand. I truly do.. Freedom of speech should not be about insulting others or name calling or saying hateful things. Freedom of speech should be about having your own opinons and being able to express them without getting beat up or thrown in jail or anything like that. I just don't think it's meant to be used to hurt others by degrating them. These so called shock jocks, and even comedians, get out of hand with their remarks. Yes, they can be funny at times but I think there should be some sort of "class" in their delivery.. :twocents:

On the flip side, I think people can afford to stop being so sensitive about every little thing that is said. Ever since the early 90s, this country has been overly politically correct to an extreme fault.

It's been said time and time again. If you don't want to listen, read, or watch something, feel free to turn the station, read somethign else, or change the channel. America offers alot of options in this regard but seldom do people take advantage of them. The outspoken minority will always have power over the majority who aren't so bothered.

On the flip side, I think people can afford to stop being so sensitive about every little thing that is said. Ever since the early 90s, this country has been overly politically correct to an extreme fault.

It's been said time and time again. If you don't want to listen, read, or watch something, feel free to turn the station, read somethign else, or change the channel. America offers alot of options in this regard but seldom do people take advantage of them. The outspoken minority will always have power over the majority who aren't so bothered.

so what you are saying is it's ok to degrade people and call them names? Why? why do others want to do that?

so what you are saying is it's ok to degrade people and call them names? Why? why do others want to do that?

Yes, I think it is okay. Do I think it's nice? No. As for why do others want to do that? I don't know. To make themselves feel better? To make money? To hurt someone? That doesn't mean it should be outlawed.

Yes, I think it is okay. Do I think it's nice? No. As for why do others want to do that? I don't know. To make themselves feel better? To make money? To hurt someone? That doesn't mean it should be outlawed.

Understood :D

I may be white, but I can tell you about discrimination. My husband has been turned down in countless jobs for which he has applied, even though he is by far the most qualified. He is a 64 year old white male, and currently the most discriminated group in the workplace. He has a MBA and over 30 years experience in his field, with rave reviews and letters of recommendation. So who is getting hired with less experience, less education, and fewer credentals? The young female candidate or the black candidate or the Hispanic candidate - and if the female happens to be black or Hispanic she trumps everyone. These are public sector jobs I'm talking about. The very ones that are supposed to be protected under The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967. It's a joke.
I feel for you, Pepper; and I totally agree. I want to go one step farther. It is the white male, no matter his age, that is most reviled by the workplace these days. I feel really bad for your husband. I assume that you are willing to move to an area that has jobs available for him. Good luck. I hope that it all works out for your family. :blowkiss:

i actually do agree that our free speech has gotten way out of hand. freedom of speech, expression, etc. is vital to democracy but also has to be tempered with what is best for the community as a whole (which is a debatable subject in itself). too much freedom is NEVER a good thing... because unfortunately people can't handle total freedom.. they need rules. plus every psycho out there will just be spewing forth whatever they want, and it would be chaos. even our own brains have censorship devices to keep us sane. society works much the same way... so complete freedomg of anything.. is just a myth.

however i still think that doesn't necessarily have a lot to do with this issue.. i still think it mostly puts a spotlight on the hypocrisy of blacks and how they view themselves. why is it OK for someone to say something stereotypical or a nickname that is generally considered derogatory about themselves, but if someone else says it, even in jest (or to make some other point).. they are demonized, made a scapegoat, and everyone is demanding their head on a platter? and everyone indulges in that obvious knee-jerk reaction instead of, taking a good look at themselves.......??

No. He has freedom of speech and media, and furthermore, for all the garbage Howard Stern and others have spewed forth, calling someone a ho or whatever pales by comparison. Imus is a shock jock just like the others. But they have a right to be that. Not that I like what they do by any means.
We all have a right...thats what is great about it. Am not sure what the answer is, definitely do not fire him! We are human and we all make mistakes.

Put him on the court with them and see how long he last!:D

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RowTheBoat