Should The Who (and Pete Townsend) be allowed to perform at the Super Bowl

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
To be honest, I'd always felt that Pete Townsend was innocent (of being a pedo and I have no basis for feeling that way). I still don't feel that "The Who" should perform at the Super Bowl. I honesly think the controversy could outweigh the pros of the situation. (I like the music of "The Who".)

I would consider seeing "The Who" in a concert venue. In my opinion, that gives people a 'choice' of whom they see on stage. I personally don't feel that The Super Bowl is the right venue. JMO.

Well, let me just put it this way...if a former Oregon Governor (Neil Goldschmidt) can admit he sexually abused and raped his 14 year old baby sitter while he was the Mayor of Portland Oregon and be protected from prosecution due to the statute of limitations, then how does allowing Townsend into the country to perform at the Super Bowl even become an issue?

We should be concentrating more on self-confessed pedophiles who are protected by ridiculous statute of limitations laws that have no place in our lawbooks.

You can read the Pulitzer Prize winning expose on former Governor Goldschmidt at the following link. And get this...Oregon's largest daily newspaper "The Oregonian" labeled it "an affair."

The 30-Year Secret

Also...

Who Knew - Long before Neil Goldschmidt's secret became public, many influential Oregonians knew something about it.

Goldschmidt was Governor at the time of the murder of Oregon Corrections Director Michael Francke. He was promising the public and the Francke family that he would "leave no stone unturned" in the murder investigation while at the same time keeping the feds out of the investigation. Most likely out of fear his pedophile secret would be uncovered as his child victim who was in her 20's then was attempting to extort money from him in return for her silence. Goldschmidt paid her nearly $250,000.

In the end a small time drug dealer named Frank Gable was wrongfully convicted for Francke's murder and has spent the past 20 years in prison with no chance for parole. The Francke family believes in Gable's innocence. I created a website on the case five years ago, and recently began a thread in the cold case forum of this site if anyone is interested.

Well, let me just put it this way...if a former Oregon Governor (Neil Goldschmidt) can admit he sexually abused and raped his 14 year old baby sitter while he was the Mayor of Portland Oregon and be protected from prosecution due to the statute of limitations, then how does allowing Townsend into the country to perform at the Super Bowl even become an issue?

We should be concentrating more on self-confessed pedophiles who are protected by ridiculous statute of limitations laws that have no place in our lawbooks.

You can read the Pulitzer Prize winning expose on former Governor Goldschmidt at the following link. And get this...Oregon's largest daily newspaper "The Oregonian" labeled it "an affair."

The 30-Year Secret

Also...

Who Knew - Long before Neil Goldschmidt's secret became public, many influential Oregonians knew something about it.

Goldschmidt was Governor at the time of the murder of Oregon Corrections Director Michael Francke. He was promising the public and the Francke family that he would "leave no stone unturned" in the murder investigation while at the same time keeping the feds out of the investigation. Most likely out of fear his pedophile secret would be uncovered as his child victim who was in her 20's then was attempting to extort money from him in return for her silence. Goldschmidt paid her nearly $250,000.

In the end a small time drug dealer named Frank Gable was wrongfully convicted for Francke's murder and has spent the past 20 years in prison with no chance for parole. The Francke family believes in Gable's innocence. I created a website on the case five years ago, and recently began a thread in the cold case forum of this site if anyone is interested.

I respect your desire to have people read up on the case you are detailing, but I think it is a bit of a ssstttrrreeetttccchhh to the topic here. JMO.

Does looking at child *advertiser censored*, which I believe he did and he has mentioned in subsequent interviews, make Pete a pedophile? It would make me suspicious but I do not think it means he is a pedophile...I think he has issues he is/was trying to work on for sure.

I know someone who successfully had her childhood repeat rapist charged and convicted with rape almost 15 years after the fact-she was 11 when she was attacked by him for the first time. He spent 6 weeks being evaluated in Bridgewater here in MA and the determination was that he was a sexual predator, but NOT a pedophile. His victims (more than one and he was a public official) were primarily very young (11,12,13) year old girls who had "bloomed" early. Now, I always thought it was a prevarication, but I can see how the determination was made-his "kick" was the pubescent girl.

Just throwing this out there...

Pete Townshend "Saddened" Super Bowl Sex Arrest Talk Won't Fade Away Ahead of Halftime Show

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla.(CBS/AP) Pete Townshend of "The Who" defended himself Thursday against some children's advocates who say he should not be performing at Sunday's Super Bowl halftime show because of his 2003 arrest in a United Kingdom pedophilia sting.

"The Who" gave an energetic, acoustic preview of their set this week, but things turned serious when Townshend was asked about the criticism.
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/02/05/crimesider/entry6177563.shtml?tag=cbsnewsCrimesiderArea.1

image6151703x.jpg

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/02/05/crimesider/entry6177563.shtml?tag=cbsnewsCrimesiderArea.1

I just can't get over this. Make a huge deal out of something like this, yet let known, dangerous, violent offenders out of jail only to offend again and again. Unbelievable. Ridiculous.

He said it was research for TWO books & part of an ANTI child *advertiser censored* campaign.........ok then .....where are the books he has PERSONALLY researched & written PRIOR to this,where are the 2 books he was "researching" & where is his "campaign"?
Wouldnt this 'situation' be the PERFECT platform to jump start this campaign?

Wasn't Gary Glitter also claiming to being writing his autobiography also?;)

I just can't get over this. Make a huge deal out of something like this, yet let known, dangerous, violent offenders out of jail only to offend again and again. Unbelievable. Ridiculous.

Some people say the same thing about Michael Vick. No biggie. There's dangerous criminals being let out of prison all the time and all he did was hang some dogs and electrocute a few. One recent article I saw somewhere said he admitted he knew about it and actually had some adrenaline rush.

So a grown man with a bunch of images of innocent children being sexually exploited is no biggie either. I guess unless it's one of our own children? Every single time he downloaded an image. Looked at those kids he commited a crime. He exploited a child. Supply and demand.

Laece I understand your point, but he was arrested. The evidence was there. Letting it go makes it seem alright.

He stunk anyway. We had a some people over. My brother is the biggest Who fan on the planet. He watched. I saw a tiny bit. I wondered where all the protesting people were. You know if that was Vick PETA would have been there. The media would have shown it.

I've checked but haven't seen anything about a large group protesting.

He said it was research for TWO books & part of an ANTI child *advertiser censored* campaign.........ok then .....where are the books he has PERSONALLY researched & written PRIOR to this,where are the 2 books he was "researching" & where is his "campaign"?
Wouldnt this 'situation' be the PERFECT platform to jump start this campaign?

Wasn't Gary Glitter also claiming to being writing his autobiography also?;)

Vespa, You know they're hot on the presses. I'll be first in line when he does a book signing.:sick:

Maybe Gary Glitter will sing The National Anthem at a home opener of one of our teams teams this year. Is he locked up? Maybe he's singing at a footy match?

abbreviated for space by me with apologies.

They stunk bad.

Yes they did.

Please, please forgive my uncouthness. I have to say this. My mom said "If they were singing for s*it they wouldn't get a smell". That then infuriated my brother and a friend of ours who were over.

Being a Scorpio my mom then says "You actually paid to see them? I mean recently? You took my grandson to see them? You paid?" He did take my grown nephew to see them their last tour.

Sad he was caught with child *advertiser censored* and sad that such a historically excellent band went out like that.

I haven't read this thread but I noticed it here before today. I'll read it soon. It cracked me up when, as we were watching The Who perform at half-time, my husband stated flatly, "do they have to sing". :crazy:

He clicked on the site to see what was there? Huh? Maybe he was doing research for his book. I really don't know what to think - whatever his excuse. Well...I just hope we don't get fooled again....

I hear ya. I remember the whole "research" thing, and it raised my hinky meter then. I'm not quite sure what to think of it either, since all charges were dropped.

I thought the lights were great... however, their performance was flat. It is obvious that Daltrey could not hit certain notes. IMO they have not aged as well as the Rolling Stones or Springsteen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back