Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, HO! :floorlaugh:

Proud of you! I would have joined you yesterday, but I have 3 1/2 packs left out of my last carton. I will have to finish them off before I can quit. There's no way I can quit knowing they are in the cupboard. That would be like trying to start a diet with 1/2 a pizza sitting in the fridge. :gasp: And at $6 a pack, I'm too cheap to toss them or give them away.:blushing:

I'll be joining the quit club tommorow! Can you believe a pack of smokes is 10.00?!? I'm in Ontario and they soak you in taxes on cigarettes. I'm sooo ready to quit after 20+ years of smoking. I've only ever quit while pregnant with my kids (but lit up as soon as they were born, dumb!) I'll use the money I save to reward myself and maybe take a trip down the road. Congrats on your decision to quit! Are you going to go cold turkey ? Me, I prefer the patch. It worked for me before so I'll give it a go again - for the last time I hope!

I'm going to throw out all my lighters and ashtrays and stock up on gum, sunflower seeds etc. ready to do this!! My kids are a great motivator too, they keep asking me when I'm going to quit so I'll be happy to finally do it and set a good example for them. It really hit home when my son said "Mommy smoking is dangerous, you could die!!" he's only 4 years old :( I felt like crap. He shouldn't need to worry about me dying. Just hope I can handle the stress of quitting while dealing with 3 kids under 5..lol, this should be interesting! ;) good luck to you and Hopeful One. Let's get r done!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtvmkkFD7aI"]The Allman Brothers - Midnight Rider *Full Song - YouTube[/ame]

i never smoked ever until about 2 months ago. i tried it because i was outside with my neighbor enjoying a glass of wine when she asked if I wanted one, I figured why not, but it did feel good with the wine (stupid stupid stupid). The kids were sleeping so I figured it would be ok.. I smoke about 3 cigarettes a day and have gone a few days without one, but on those stressful nights after they are sleeping, I sneak outside and have one. My husband is gone for two months with the army (he moonlights as a drill sargeant lol) so it's basically me, a 5 month old, and 20 month old.

My plan was to stop on Travis's birthday, but that's too far away, so my bday present to myself next week is to stop completely. Hopefully it won't be too hard. I think I should be able to go cold turkey. I got a prescription for Klonopin after my son was born and try not to take it (got panic attacks post partum) but I think I'll stick to that when I'm under too much stress!

Goodluck to everyone quitting, you can do it! If you need inspiration, just think of Steven's impact statement when he said that Travis wanted him to come stay with him to help quit his smoking habit, but Steven never got to take that trip :(

I'll be joining the quit club tommorow! Can you believe a pack of smokes is 10.00?!? I'm in Ontario and they soak you in taxes on cigarettes. I'm sooo ready to quit after 20+ years of smoking. I've only ever quit while pregnant with my kids (but lit up as soon as they were born, dumb!) I'll use the money I save to reward myself and maybe take a trip down the road. Congrats on your decision to quit! Are you going to go cold turkey ? Me, I prefer the patch. It worked for me before so I'll give it a go again - for the last time I hope!

I'm going to throw out all my lighters and ashtrays and stock up on gum, sunflower seeds etc. ready to do this!! My kids are a great motivator too, they keep asking me when I'm going to quit so I'll be happy to finally do it and set a good example for them. It really hit home when my son said "Mommy smoking is dangerous, you could die!!" he's only 4 years old :( I felt like crap. He shouldn't need to worry about me dying. Just hope I can handle the stress of quitting while dealing with 3 kids under 5..lol, this should be interesting! ;) good luck to you and Hopeful One. Let's get r done!!

I've smoked for 35 years. I quit several times. Once for 2 years but started up again when I got THAT CALL that no parent wants to get in the middle of the night. (He survived, thank God!)

I've used the patch before, but I've got an E-cig now. That and some snacks and determination will do it.

One thing I've learned is that, FOR ME, I can't quit smoking for SOMEONE ELSE. I have to quit because it's what I really want to do. I've tried quitting because the doctor says I should, or because my kids think I should, or for Travis. I just wind up deciding I hate that person and I need a cigarette. So it's all in the mind set. (But I think $10 a pack could do it for me!!!)

I am a widow so I have no one to support me. Maybe, if we could have a WS thread for those of us that are quitting/want to quit where we can go and talk it out and share tips without posting on trial threads, it would be a big help towards our success. What do you think? :what:

Yay, Hopeful One of entering your second day

Yay! to Dani, Moonshyne, and Mollyandme for getting ready to quit.

A couple of simple things that helped me (been quit eight years):

1) Lots of water, lots of baths

2) Pretend you have the flu when you get uncomfortable (this helped me a lot, actually)

3) walk (even walk in place if you can't leave because of little kids) to dispense nervous energy

4) VERY IMPORTANT: Don't ever quit trying to quit. I tried to quit multiple times with a few days, weeks, even once with seven months, before I quit this last time. Then a DR. told me, "Oh yeah...most of the patients I have who quit have tried multiple times but the ones who keep trying always succeed." (that was an epiphany for me)

5) Never pick up another one once you've quit...all my relapses were thinking I could have one at a party or during a poker game or something. This last time I quit, I was in Alaska on vacation and had just had a wonderful meal and I had been quit several months and I REALLY wanted a vacation/after dinner cig... But I just told myself NO.

Benefits of Quitting timetable:
http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

Quitnet stop smoking community boards (this helped a lot the first few months):
http://www.quitnet.com/qnhomepage.aspx

Maybe the mods will start a quit smoking thread here too...great idea Dani.

For lil buddy:

[video=youtube;j2r2nDhTzO4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2r2nDhTzO4[/video]

Remember that first cigarette? It made me cough, hack and light headed. I had to teach myself HOW to smoke.

I taught myself NOT to smoke. Tough, but it can be done. I became aware of when i would smoke. Picking up a cigarette was more of a ritual than wanting to smoke.

Light a cigarette in preparation to cook.

---- To make a phone call.

---- To sit down and watch a tv show.

---- To put on make up.

---- Because a meal was over

---- Because I woke up

Different rituals for people. Becoming aware of it.

2) Pretend you have the flu when you get uncomfortable (this helped me a lot, actually)

3) walk (even walk in place if you can't leave because of little kids) to dispense nervous energy

4) VERY IMPORTANT: Don't ever quit trying to quit. I tried to quit multiple times with a few days, weeks, even once with seven months, before I quit this last time. Then a DR. told me, "Oh yeah...most of the patients I have who quit have tried multiple times but the ones who keep trying always succeed." (that was an epiphany for me)

5) Never pick up another one once you've quit...all my relapses were thinking I could have one at a party or during a poker game or something. This last time I quit, I was in Alaska on vacation and had just had a wonderful meal and I had been quit several months and I REALLY wanted a vacation/after dinner cig... But I just told myself NO.

Can I have a smoke between steps, or only at the end?

Hi, weirdos!!

Day Two of no smoking in honor of Travis!!! :woot:

Hi Hopeful, great job keep it up.:rockon::rockon:

I've been gone for almost a week trying to catch up. Has any important info come out? BTW before I took off on my 1300 mile road trip I hadn't seen Rose222, has she been around?

if i'm remembering correctly (trying to find where I read this)...Dr. Demarte found a lot more in Jodi's psych eval that was not allowed to be brought out at trial because it was deemed too prejudicial. I wonder if it was anti-social personality disorder/ Jodi is a psychopath

I don't understand, from a legal standpoint, how something like that would be allowed to be withheld. :facepalm:

... Can you believe a pack of smokes is 10.00?!? I'm in Ontario and they soak you in taxes on cigarettes. I'm sooo ready to quit after 20+ years of smoking.

... I usually spend on smokes (70-80 bucks a week!! Argh!) ...

RSBM

I had to do the math ... thought I'd share ...

(20 years x 52 weeks) x C$80 = C$83,200 or ~US$80,495 spent on cigarettes!

:gasp:

[Note: Figure does not include all of the other associated costs,
monetary and otherwise, of smoking cigarettes!
]

I applaud your and anyone's efforts to stop smoking!

Remember that first cigarette? It made me cough, hack and light headed. I had to teach myself HOW to smoke.

I taught myself NOT to smoke. Tough, but it can be done. I became aware of when i would smoke. Picking up a cigarette was more of a ritual than wanting to smoke.

Light a cigarette in preparation to cook.

---- To make a phone call.

---- To sit down and watch a tv show.

---- To put on make up.

---- Because a meal was over

---- Because I woke up

Different rituals for people. Becoming aware of it.

Don't forget "To have a drink"! But I quit smoking several years ago, even though I loved it. Just drink a tiny "teaspoontini" at holidays now, or non-alcoholic beer with Mexican food.

Best wishes. Hopeful One! We're all behind you! :seeya:

I don't understand, from a legal standpoint, how something like that would be allowed to be withheld. :facepalm:

Plus, if DT is now going to go with BPD wouldnt her entire mental evaluation from Dr Demarte get jn?

I'll check out your links. Thank you! :blowkiss:

I have an app on my iPhone called "My Last Cigarette". It keeps track of how long it's been since your last cigarette and how much money you've saved, but the best part is it tells you all the health benefits you are getting. It even tells you how much longer you will live. (That is IF you don't go all Jodi Arias and kill somebody and get the DP. In that case, all bets are off.) :floorlaugh:

I have to laugh at a commercial for Chantix (a pill to quit smoking). One of the possible side effects is suicidal thoughts! :gasp: I think to myself, "That's great! I could just decide if I want to "OFF" someone else, because I need a cigarette, or if I want to OFF myself. No thanks!

Besides, I don't take pills. It's just a THING with me. When I was young and having babies I had a hard time with severe morning sickness so my doctor prescribed a medication that was supposed to help. Being the good little girl that I was, I had the prescription filled and took it home and put it in the medicine cabinet. Never took a single one.

I was about 8 months along with my daughter when my Dad called me and told me what he just heard on the news. It was about a drug for women with severe morning sickness and they just discovered it caused horrible birth defects. He said it was called Thalidomide and he asked was I taking it. I told him the only thing I took that the doctor prescribed was prenatal vitamins. But I remembered that bottle of pills in the medicine cabinet and I went and looked at it. Sure enough. It was Thalidomide.

That incident got me to reading everything I could get my hands on about prescription medications, which led me to be suspicious of them all. To this day, very few pills, other than an aspirin get consumed by me.:twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaggieX