SIDEBAR #25- Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone ! :wave: My DH is out of town for a couple days, so I am settling in now to do one of my favorite things, watch a TCM classic movie. :) My movie pick tonight is "M" starring Peter Lorre. Has anyone here seen it ? It's about a child serial killer :( . Just started it, but there are some little children in a courtyard, playing a game, it's apparently in Germany as they're speaking in German, but it's sort of like our "eeny meeny miny mo", game. Does anyone remember that one ?

Except this is a little different, in that it's very, very sinister. I would say much like JA's defense "games" they played at sidebar, in the courtroom, and beyond . :wink:

Anyway, the rhyme goes like this:

“Just you wait, it won’t be long,

The man in black will soon be here.

With his cleaver’s blade so true,

He’ll make mincemeat out of you!”

Creepy huh.... :scared:

That is a creepy movie about a serial child killer, from what I remember and Peter Lorrie is always so scary looking with his bulging eyes (He was a good actor):

m2.png

Here's an interesting article about the movie, M :

"M" - Ich Kann Nicht!

"..In Peter Lorre’s hysterical and sobbing speech he conveys his feelings about his crimes with such heart and bizarre craze; one cannot help but sympathize and yet be so sickened with such a character. With enormous bulging eyes, disheveled hair and begging on his knees, Lorre gives a frantic and incredible speech in which to explain his crimes. A spectacular range of emotions burst forth from Lorre showing his tremendous acting ability. From guilt, terror, excitement, frustration, sorrow, disappointment, madness, and delight, Lorre fantastically switches tones within seconds.

"But I can't help it. I can’t… I really can’t…. help it! What would you know? What are you talking about? Who are you anyway? Who are you? All of you. Criminals. Probably proud of it, too- proud you can crack a safe or sneak into houses or cheat at cards. All of which it seems to me you could just as easily give up if you learned something useful, or if you had jobs or if you weren’t such lazy pigs. But me? Can I do anything about it? Don’t I have this cursed thing inside me? This fire, this voice, this agony? I have to roam the streets endlessly, always sensing that someone’s following me. It’s me! I’m shadowing myself! Silently…. But I still hear it! Yes, sometimes I feel like I’m tracking myself down. I want to run- run away from myself! But I can’t! I can’t escape from myself! I must take the path that it’s driving me down and run and run down endless streets! I want off! I want off! And with me run the ghosts of the mothers and children. They never go away. They’re always there! Always! Always! Always! Except… when I’m doing it… when I….,” Beckert closes his eyes in ecstasy. A terrifying smile begins to curl his lips. A moment passes before his shoulders slump and he realizes the horrific deeds he has done. Disappointment engulfs his entire being before going on, “Then I don’t remember a thing. Then I’m standing before a poster, reading what I’ve done. I read and read… I did that? I don’t remember a thing! But who will believe me? Who knows what it’s like inside me? How it screams and cries out inside me when I have to do it! Don’t want to! Must! Don’t want to! Must! And then the voice cries out, and I can’t listen anymore! Help! I can’t! I can’t! I can’t! I can’t!....”

http://serialkillercentral.blogspot.com/2010/06/m-ich-kann-nicht.html

And was this the music? Somehow I remember this:

EDVARD GRIEG In the Hall of the Mountain King - YouTube

The full movie, if anyone is interested, worth the subtitles, IMO :

M (1931) - YouTube

What a good pick, neesaki. :loveyou: :seeya:

I watched The Story of Three Loves on TCM this afternoon. Moira Shearer was just beautiful:

The Story of Three Loves trailer - YouTube

"Three loosely connected love stories. The first story: Paula is a talented dancer who cannot truly live unless she dances. But has a heart condition, which means she cannot live if she does. The second story: Tommy despises his French tutor, and hates being a child. He wants to be an adult so he can do what he wants. He gets his wish, being transformed into a handsome young man for one evening, and learns about whole new side of his French tutor. Third story: Pierre Narval is trapeze artist who gave it up when his partner died doing a dangerous stunt at his bidding. He rescues Nina, a beautiful young woman, after she throws herself into the Seine, and convinces her to become his new aerial partner. Her husband had been killed by the Nazis during the war, and she blames herself. They fall in love, which is tested when Nina must perform the stunt which killed Pierre's former partner. - IMDb"

The music from the ballet "Variation # 18 on A Theme of Paganini by Rachmaninoff" was also used in the movie Somewhere in Time, one of my favorite movies:

Variation # 18 on A Theme of Paganini by Rachmaninoff - YouTube

Moira Shearer was also in The Red Shoes (1948)- better than The Black Swan, IMO:

The Red Shoes (1948) ~My Favourite Movie - YouTube

Big storm coming!!!!:scared::scared:

Big storm coming!!!!:scared::scared:

We're going to have 75 mph winds Thursday due to Tropical Storm Arthur! Wonder how strong that is. Do I have to hide in the bathtub with my dog? :floorlaugh:

I watched The Story of Three Loves on TCM this afternoon. Moira Shearer was just beautiful:

The Story of Three Loves trailer - YouTube

"Three loosely connected love stories. The first story: Paula is a talented dancer who cannot truly live unless she dances. But has a heart condition, which means she cannot live if she does. The second story: Tommy despises his French tutor, and hates being a child. He wants to be an adult so he can do what he wants. He gets his wish, being transformed into a handsome young man for one evening, and learns about whole new side of his French tutor. Third story: Pierre Narval is trapeze artist who gave it up when his partner died doing a dangerous stunt at his bidding. He rescues Nina, a beautiful young woman, after she throws herself into the Seine, and convinces her to become his new aerial partner. Her husband had been killed by the Nazis during the war, and she blames herself. They fall in love, which is tested when Nina must perform the stunt which killed Pierre's former partner. - IMDb"

The music from the ballet "Variation # 18 on A Theme of Paganini by Rachmaninoff" was also used in the movie Somewhere in Time, one of my favorite movies:

Variation # 18 on A Theme of Paganini by Rachmaninoff - YouTube

Moira Shearer was also in The Red Shoes (1948)- better than The Black Swan, IMO:

The Red Shoes (1948) ~My Favourite Movie - YouTube

I missed that one, but I didn't know Somewhere In Time is one of your favorites, it's one of mine too. It's so tragic, and so haunting. The music in it is absolutely beautiful , it's half the movie.

YorN and Daisy, hope you're safe through the storms. I haven't kept up with the weather , wherever you are. Just praying for you're safety.

Hope the storms were not too bad for everyone.

Had my eyelid surgery ... Now I have 2 fancy black eyes. Scary looking :laugh:

Hope the storms were not too bad for everyone.

Had my eyelid surgery ... Now I have 2 fancy black eyes. Scary looking :laugh:

What kind of eyelid surgery, Spellbound? Hope it's not too painful and that you get well soon. :seeya:

What kind of eyelid surgery, Spellbound? Hope it's not too painful and that you get well soon. :seeya:

Had excess skin removed from both upper eyelids, as it was causing a lot of visual problems. blurring, double vision. Made reading and driving progressively more difficult. Except for the after-surgery swelling and bruising, I am surprised it doesn't hurt much at all. Just huge red raccoon eyes :blushing: I am faithfully putting ice packs on. Hoping for clearer, sharper vision -- it does seem better already, so am hopeful that after this swelling fades I will see even more clearly. Crossing my fingers, for sure.

As for being a beauty-Queen....no way!

Thanks, Neesaki!

We're going to have 75 mph winds Thursday due to Tropical Storm Arthur! Wonder how strong that is. Do I have to hide in the bathtub with my dog? :floorlaugh:

What happen with the storm?

Last night my storm affected my internet (but of course :banghead:) and didn't really cool the heat that much, but we had another storm today and now it's cooler- just raining now and 76 degrees :)

Had excess skin removed from both upper eyelids, as it was causing a lot of visual problems. blurring, double vision. Made reading and driving progressively more difficult. Except for the after-surgery swelling and bruising, I am surprised it doesn't hurt much at all. Just huge red raccoon eyes :blushing: I am faithfully putting ice packs on. Hoping for clearer, sharper vision -- it does seem better already, so am hopeful that after this swelling fades I will see even more clearly. Crossing my fingers, for sure.

As for being a beauty-Queen....no way!

Thanks, Neesaki!

Hope your eyesight gets better. The skin over my eyes have also been sagging, but my eyesight hasn't been affected so far.

Just think how "young" you'll look now and everything will actually look clearer. Worth the pain, IMO.

Before and after:

bleph2.jpg

I am not holding my breath that I may look younger. At this stage of my life I will settle for eyes that see. I recently thought a truck in its side in a ditch was a giant cardboard box, and a large dog in a field was a baby bear. :laugh: But if I do look younger, hooray.

What happen with the storm?

Last night my storm affected my internet (but of course :banghead:) and didn't really cool the heat that much, but we had another storm today and now it's cooler- just raining now and 76 degrees :)

The storm will hit tomorrow (Thurs.) and won't be bad at all. Thunderstorms and wind but not strong wind. Arthur will be stronger in NC and on up the coast.

Hope the storms are not bad Daisy. We are having a cool down.

Did anyone watching Wimbledon doubles see the server hit her partner when serving? LMAO!!! OUCH :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech