SIDEBAR #27- Arias/Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't that jury foreman's son say his dad had proclaimed that "nobody is getting the death penalty on my watch"? I read that somewhere. Was it or was it not posted somewhere by the son--anyone remember seeing it? That to me said he was against the DP from the start and never intended to vote for it. He did vote for guilty of Murder One and if he was adamant that she had been abused by TA, I am not sure he would have found her guilty of premeditated crime; I think he would have given her some benefit of the doubt about self defense. Ridiculous as that sounds given how many stab wounds but good grief jurors don't all come to court with their brain engaged.

I hate that she can still claim he abused her with absolutely no proof...and the state cannot show that what she did to him falls within the parameters of domestic violence. I believe in a fair trial for all but cannot see anything fair about what goes on in many courtrooms these days and bias is usually in favor of the perp. Jurors are supposed to base their decision on what they hear in court and nothing else. How can they do that responsibly if what they are allowed to hear is mostly one-sided?

Rant over.

I recall his son saying that, seems like it was a FB post but I don't have a link.

"25TH MAY 2013 |

THE EXECUTIONER WITH THE PUBLIC FACE:

My dad was the jury foreman in the Jodi Arias murder trial....

One last thing, and then I’ll be done, because thinking about how my dad is suffering makes my heart hurt. A jury gets impaneled once or twice in a generation to oversee a trial like this. That means there are one or maybe two people per generation that know what my dad has just gone through. I would love to hear what their thoughts are. I’m sure my dad would like to decompress with them over cocktails. What that group alone would know, though, is that when you are a juror, you are bound by law to be impartial. What you see and what you are *mandated* to consider and not consider is different from what Nancy Grace’s viewership gets to see. They are allowed to foam at the mouth for five months with bloodlust, knowing from day one that the defendant is guilty as sin. But a juror is told to leave emotion and sensationalism at the door so that the defendant can have a fair trial.

You might say, “But Jodi Arias is a psychopath. She doesn’t deserve anything but the hot end of a gun.” You’re allowed to think that. But I hope for your sake that if you’re ever put on trial for something, you have jurors like my dad to hear you out...."

http://samirsdad.tumblr.com/post/51364319325/the-executioner-with-the-public-face

:seeya:

The Foreman’s son defends his father… the most telling sentence from the son:

“And they know that on his watch, that criminal was not sentenced to die.”

“Today I read hate mail my dad had gotten. Some person had sent him a threatening message complete with his email address, full name, and phone number (which at the very least means that this guy should retake Hate Mail 101). I also read some comments on an article online about my dad. Surreal.

http://stoopidhousewives.com/2013/0...eaks-and-the-foremans-son-defends-his-father/

"25TH MAY 2013 |

THE EXECUTIONER WITH THE PUBLIC FACE:

My dad was the jury foreman in the Jodi Arias murder trial....

One last thing, and then I’ll be done, because thinking about how my dad is suffering makes my heart hurt. A jury gets impaneled once or twice in a generation to oversee a trial like this. That means there are one or maybe two people per generation that know what my dad has just gone through. I would love to hear what their thoughts are. I’m sure my dad would like to decompress with them over cocktails. What that group alone would know, though, is that when you are a juror, you are bound by law to be impartial. What you see and what you are *mandated* to consider and not consider is different from what Nancy Grace’s viewership gets to see. They are allowed to foam at the mouth for five months with bloodlust, knowing from day one that the defendant is guilty as sin. But a juror is told to leave emotion and sensationalism at the door so that the defendant can have a fair trial.

You might say, “But Jodi Arias is a psychopath. She doesn’t deserve anything but the hot end of a gun.” You’re allowed to think that. But I hope for your sake that if you’re ever put on trial for something, you have jurors like my dad to hear you out...."

http://samirsdad.tumblr.com/post/51364319325/the-executioner-with-the-public-face

:seeya:

I feel like my first reply would be "Why, so someone would believe my fake sob story about being abused and feel sorry for me".

I realize we all got to see and hear much more than the jury, but going based on just watching her during the trial, if any juror believed her and her stories of abuse, I think they were naive and duped. Her reactions and behavior during the trial, coupled with some compelling testimony from the girlfriend convinced me that Jodi is a lying conniving person. Especially when we got to hear Jodi try to explain where she got the gun in the closet and then we hear that she stole a gun of same caliber prior to the murder. Proof to me that she lied about that, so I have to assume she lied about the abuse as well since nothing to support those allegations.

I honestly dont know where that juror was coming from. At least he agreed to the guilty part.

Here are some issues I have with the son's assessment.

I do not watch Nancy Grace (or JVM) as I think she is looking more for ratings than for justice so I was not basing my decision re Arias (or Anthony for that matter) on anything covered by HLN. I watched the trial. I viewed the evidence. I did not get to see everything as shown from the jurors' view but the evidence in total showed me what a scary, evil individual Arias was and IMO still is. She was and is manipulative, vindictive, more than just nasty and she is one who IMO can hold a grudge indefinitely. Unlike his dad as foreman, I do believe other citizens will be in danger if Arias is ever set free. (As much as I detest Casey Anthony I am not sure any citizen in particular is at risk with her not behind bars.)

Fair and impartial is extremely important to us all but one thing his dad did not consider is that none of what Arias claimed was proven. Foreman admits she's a liar but still believed her abuse claim which was really just a weird rendition of HE SAID/SHE SAID...except HE was not available to speak to the jury in person. That IMO allowed some jurors to value some of what she said. And that, IMO, is precisely why is very important that jurors' brains be engaged. And IMO, his wasn't.

I agree not all killers should get DP--I have always thought Debra Milke should never have been on death row. I will go as far as to say I would prefer DP not be imposed in most cases but for Arias, I see her as a very dangerous person who must never be free in society again; if it takes the DP to do that, so be it. But most importantly, I want the jury to make their decision for the right reasons--not simply because she gets to continue to trash her victim while the state is limited in what it can bring before the soon-to be-empaneled jury.

The Foreman’s son defends his father… the most telling sentence from the son:

“And they know that on his watch, that criminal was not sentenced to die.”

“Today I read hate mail my dad had gotten. Some person had sent him a threatening message complete with his email address, full name, and phone number (which at the very least means that this guy should retake Hate Mail 101). I also read some comments on an article online about my dad. Surreal.

http://stoopidhousewives.com/2013/0...eaks-and-the-foremans-son-defends-his-father/

If he did not want to ever sentence anyone to the DP then he should have never agreed to be able to do that from the very beginning during jury selection. This is 1 of the questions the jurors are asked about.

See, this is what I think happens in probably lots of DP juries. The jurors during jury questioning think they will have no problem giving someone the DP , and then when it comes down to it, they really cant and never will.
They should just be honest with themselves upfront and not agree to be on the jury.

I have no problem for people if they dont want to ever give the DP but then dont agree to be on a DP jury. I think this guy knew this was a big case and he wanted the limelight of being on it. I think he probably knew up front he would never be able to agree to DP. JMO of course.

Why is Autumn bashing her head repeatedly against her left rear side? She's done it 20+ times. Is she trying to position the baby?

Why is Autumn bashing her head repeatedly against her left rear side? She's done it 20+ times. Is she trying to position the baby?

Somebody else said that's actually Walter, and he has a very stubborn ear infection. I find Walter and Autumn very hard to tell apart, at a glance anyway.

Sorry for the delay, Curious in Indiana. Before I left for tennis, I found SnackSearch installed on my computer. Of course, that was no act of mine. It is responsible for 2" x 2" ads that are tiny videos. They may be the same ones you are seeing on your screen. I also found Severe Storm Alerts. I uninstalled them both. Look at your start panel to see if there are some strangers there. Also, look inside your control panel for same. If you find strangers or weird names you would never have wanted, you can get rid of them. If you find these invaders, you can click on Uninstall or Remove and then select these malwares. Let me know what you are seeing. I am right here.

We will be relying on Juan in this penalty phase retrial. Arias does not have to follow the rules of evidence in her mitigation presentations. Nor does she have to prove any of her "evidence" beyond a reasonable doubt. She will have to demonstrate that it achieves preponderance of the evidence standard. Naturally, being Arias, she will take advantage of this broad latitude. That is so sickening that it may be better we don't have to witness ​her wayward efforts. Juan to the rescue of this penalty.

He's going to end up with a bad headache!

Yeah, poor guy. I had an ear infection as an adult and it felt like someone was pouring boiling water in my ear. Made me totally understand why babies cry their head's off when they have one.

Totally OT but there's been an arrest in the Erin Corwin missing marine wife case. Sheriff's giving a press conference in a couple of minutes.

Yep. I have a hard time with the truth being limited due to being too prejudicial to the killer while lies by the dozen are deemed OK.

I mean--I can understand things not being allowed that have not been proven as that is what prejudicial means. But she is guilty, proven in a court of law so it is no longer prejudicial information. I am surprised the fact that she was found Guilty is even being allowed given how it is a truth that is not in her favor.

Just something to keep in mind: evidence is never ever ever ever kept out because it is not in the defendant's favor. "Prejudicial" doesn't mean that evidence is too strong against the defendant. It also doesn't mean that it involves something that hasn't been proven. It means that the evidence might tend to make the jury make a decision based on some factor that they shouldn't be considering.

Just something to keep in mind: evidence is never ever ever ever kept out because it is not in the defendant's favor. "Prejudicial" doesn't mean that evidence is too strong against the defendant. It also doesn't mean that it involves something that hasn't been proven. It means that the evidence might tend to make the jury make a decision based on some factor that they shouldn't be considering.

I know, AZ. I was just being snarky because I get frustrated over all the rights she has. It flies in the face of "fair" IMO.

If JA could find witnesses that TA was abusive, can she bring them in to testify in this phase?

If JM could find witnesses that TA had never been abusive with them under any circumstances, could he bring them in to testify in this phase?

Thank you so much again for all your great research. :yourock:

There's so much to comment on, but I found it intriguing that he brings up Manson and Dahmer. So a prospective juror could answer perfectly truthfully that they believe they could assess the death penalty against someone -- when what they actually mean is, they could, providing the person meets their personal view of what the death penalty should be used for. This must be the kind of thing that gives prosecutors nightmares.

I remember reading or seeing his comments last year about how Jodi was this nice normal girl until she met Travis. I didn't buy that explanation then and I don't buy it now. I think this is the excuse he feels comfortable giving in public. He either didn't like Travis, or he didn't like Juan Martinez, or he doesn't like Mormons, or he just chickened out -- something.

I'd also be really curious to know what the other 3 people who wouldn't vote for the death penalty thought. I hope they agree to interviews after this is all over. I doubt they will, but I'm going to hope anyway.

Re: Bolded part....I agree. I dont think he liked Travis or Juan.

I dont think he considered for 1 minute that perhaps it was Jodi's idea for some of those graphic sexual encounters, and perhaps she enjoyed them.

Looking at just the last day. She comes over uninvited. They end up having sex. So whos idea was it on that day.
I think it was Jodis last attempt to win him back and she most likely suggested the sex as a "1 last time for old times sake" event. When that plan did not work and he still most likely politely wanted her to finally leave, that was it. The devil had planned it all out what she would do if she could not connive him into taking her back.

Also, that 1 alleged physical abuse claim where he supposedly slammed her down according to Jodi was most likely them horsing around where he was trying to show her some MMA moves and it most likely was some accident where she fell too hard or he slipped and fell a little hard on her. Thats if it even happened at all.

Erin Corwin's body was found at the bottom of a 140 ft. mine shaft on Saturday afternoon. She was not recovered until Sunday because the poor air quality in the mine required special equipment. As soon as the medical examiner confirmed it was her, her next-door-neighbor boyfriend was arrested in Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member