SIDEBAR #50 - Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tip on melatonin, I LikeToBendPages. I do use it when I have had a few bad nights, but lately it isn't helping. I may try an extra tablet tonight .... but working in the yard today is making me achey and tired, so maybe I won't need anything. I love working outside! It does feel like rain is coming, though. Glad I got my grass cut and edged. Hubby has to finish the big parts.

Hey there, Niner! It is good to see you popping in here more often. I am sure glad that trial is done.

Morning!! :wave:

Hatfield - google is your friend!! At least that's what my Huz says when I asked him something... :lol: But I see that some above ^^ have posted some recipes for you!!

It is/was supposed to be a little rain today, but the :sunshine: :cool2: is out! Have to make my weekly grocery run later...

Okay - off to read a few other threads!

:seeya:

It's 90 degrees here and the sun is beating on the house :(

A/C time! Already.

81 degrees here, and very muggy.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I may have to challenge myself to make the "chips" someday.

When I tasted it fresh from the garden, the "bitterness" is what I noticed right away that turned me off. I never heard of massaging it....LOL

I may have to take out the meat tenderizer hammer and give it a few good whacks to knock the bitterness out of it. LOL

Seriously though, that is why I think I will like the chips better. Im not sure I will ever like it in a salad unless I have enough dressing to disguise the bitterness of it.

BBM :gavel: :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

So it's the bitterness that "offends" you.
Well then you wouldn't like broccoli rabe or collard greens either. I love the slight bitterness to them.

Broccoli rabe:

images

Link: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...rfIWf7enRDL72q6zNNlUV-kXY3An9buUPd_SU5BN8SSPw

I saute in garlic and oil (delish!)

Broccoli-Rabe-with-Garlic.jpg

Link: http://www.andreareiser.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Broccoli-Rabe-with-Garlic.jpg

and sometimes put over pasta:

8e9a8fb82d94ac2805365dcf33260e0e.jpg

Link: http://www.recipes100.com/v/8e9a8fb82d94ac2805365dcf33260e0e.jpg

And collard greens are just yummy: :)

0226158_480x360.jpg

Link: http://images.scrippsnetworks.com/up/tp/Scripps_-_Food_Category_Prod/596/955/0226158_480x360.jpg

Here's the recipe for the collard greens (just in case you change your mind about the bitterness): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/collard-greens-recipe.html

It's 84 degrees in the shade here and very humid.

I've always have had trouble going and staying asleep. Of course, having my grandson waking me up during the night (since he has trouble sleeping) doesn't help. Have you tried Melatonin? It works, you may have some very vivid dreams.

WebMD.

What is melatonin?

Melatonin is a hormone made by the pineal gland a small gland in the brain. Melatonin helps control your sleep and wake cycles. Very small amounts of it are found in foods such as meats, grains, fruits, and vegetables. You can also buy it as a supplement.
What does natural melatonin do in the body?

Your body has its own internal clock that controls your natural cycle of sleeping and waking hours. In part, your body clock controls how much melatonin your body makes. Normally, melatonin levels begin to rise in the mid- to late evening, remain high for most of the night, and then drop in the early morning hours.

Light affects how much melatonin your body produces. During the shorter days of the winter months, your body may produce melatonin either earlier or later in the day than usual. This change can lead to symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), or winter depression.

Natural melatonin levels slowly drop with age. Some older adults make very small amounts of it or none at all.

Also , Benadryl will make you sleepy. Many sleep aid have it in them.

and Valerian taste like horrible, and it didn't work for me.

Valerian is an herb. Medicine is made from the root.

again from WebMD

Valerian is most commonly used for sleep disorders, especially the inability to sleep (insomnia). It is frequently combined with hops, lemon balm, or other herbs that also cause drowsiness. Some people who are trying to withdraw from the use of “sleeping pills” use valerian to help them sleep after they have tapered the dose of the sleeping pill. There is some scientific evidence that valerian works for sleep disorders, although not all studies are positive.

Valerian is also used for conditions connected to anxiety and psychological stress including nervous asthma, hysterical states, excitability, fear of illness (hypochondria), headaches, migraine, and stomach upset.

Some people use valerian for depression, mild tremors, epilepsy, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

Valerian is used for muscle and joint pain. Some women use valerian for menstrual cramps and symptoms associated with menopause, including hot flashes and anxiety.

Sometimes, valerian is added to bath water to help with restlessness and sleep disorders.

In manufacturing, the extracts and oil made from valerian are used as flavoring in foods and beverages.

How does it work?

Valerian seems to act like a sedative on the brain and nervous system.

I normally sleep very soundly, but on those occasions when I can't turn off my brain, I go with Benadryl. Unless you have problems with high blood pressure, it's relatively harmless, even prescribed for children. It works like a charm for me!

Thanks for the tip on melatonin, I LikeToBendPages. I do use it when I have had a few bad nights, but lately it isn't helping. I may try an extra tablet tonight .... but working in the yard today is making me achey and tired, so maybe I won't need anything. I love working outside! It does feel like rain is coming, though. Glad I got my grass cut and edged. Hubby has to finish the big parts.

Hey there, Niner! It is good to see you popping in here more often. I am sure glad that trial is done.

There's nothing like just plain wearing yourself out. Sleep will definitely come after strenuous exertion, especially if you're working outside. That's the best kind of sleep!

Friday05/0858 | 32 °F​
partlycloudy.svg
Friday 20% Precip. / 0 inSun and clouds mixed. High 58F. Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph.

nt_partlycloudy.svg
Friday Night 20% Precip. / 0 inCloudy skies this evening will become partly cloudy after midnight. Low 32F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday05/0965 | 37 °F​
partlycloudy.svg
Saturday 0% Precip. / 0 inPartly cloudy skies. High around 65F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.

nt_clear.svg
Saturday Night 0% Precip. / 0 inA mostly clear sky. Low 37F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Yep, it's kinda chilly out there! Up in the 70's for next week.

I normally sleep very soundly, but on those occasions when I can't turn off my brain, I go with Benadryl. Unless you have problems with high blood pressure, it's relatively harmless, even prescribed for children. It works like a charm for me!

Ha! I could drink take the while pack and still be wide awake. My dog likes it thought --- she gets itchy from allergies.

.Most meds seem to have an opposite effect on me. The only OTC that worked really well for me was taken off the market for some reason (Excedrin PM)-- I sure miss it.

There's nothing like just plain wearing yourself out. Sleep will definitely come after strenuous exertion, especially if you're working outside. That's the best kind of sleep!

Yes! if the body is going to ache and grumble, then I might as well give it a good reason to complain.

Friday05/0858 | 32 °F​
partlycloudy.svg
Friday 20% Precip. / 0 inSun and clouds mixed. High 58F. Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph.

nt_partlycloudy.svg
Friday Night 20% Precip. / 0 inCloudy skies this evening will become partly cloudy after midnight. Low 32F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday05/0965 | 37 °F​
partlycloudy.svg
Saturday 0% Precip. / 0 inPartly cloudy skies. High around 65F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.

nt_clear.svg
Saturday Night 0% Precip. / 0 inA mostly clear sky. Low 37F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Yep, it's kinda chilly out there! Up in the 70's for next week.

Yikes, Girl. Did you move? Near freezing temps at night? This is crazy weather.

Only way I'll have fresh kale is in my nutri-bullet.
I also add spinach, parsley, celery, avocado, chia & flax seeds, sometimes walnuts.
Add a piece of banana, pear, or apple for some sweetness if you like.

Can not handle the bitterness from collards either - but maybe in the bullet it may be better?

I'm really glad I bought the nutri-bullet. Use to have a Magic Bullet, but it broke.
Would not mind another one, but in due time. The nutri one will work for now
even though it's stronger than the magic one. It liquifies a milk shake and like mine a bit chunky.
whew, I sure do get long winded at times - sorry :laughing:

Spellbound,

Have you tried Gravol. A lot of folks take it for motion sickness. It kicks in quickly, maybe 10-15 minutes after swallowing. I've used it myself and know a retired cop who takes one every night at bedtime.

Well, it's snowing in Prescott, just 30 something miles away, and there's a new forecast for this evening:

Friday Night
100% Precip. / 0.17 in Thunderstorms during the evening will give way to partly cloudy skies after midnight. Low 31F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 100%.

See? What comes around, goes around. When all of you kids were hunkering down under piles of snow, and we had pretty nice weather here, we get the old switcheroo when the weather gets nice back East! :floorlaugh:

We just *might* go past our usual last freeze date, May 10th.

Spellbound,

Have you tried Gravol. A lot of folks take it for motion sickness. It kicks in quickly, maybe 10-15 minutes after swallowing. I've used it myself and know a retired cop who takes one every night at bedtime.

Thank you! I have never even heard of Gravol. is it OTC, and in the regular sleep aid section, or in the vitamin aisle?

ETA .. I looked it up and it is by prescription. It has a lot of uses (nausea from chemotherapy, vertigo). I have occasional bouts with vertig and ear ringing, so he might be willing.

Well, it's snowing in Prescott, just 30 something miles away, and there's a new forecast for this evening:

See? What comes around, goes around. When all of you kids were hunkering down under piles of snow, and we had pretty nice weather here, we get the old switcheroo when the weather gets nice back East! :floorlaugh:

We just *might* go past our usual last freeze date, May 10th.

This is so bizarre. Glad you have a better sense of humor than I have.

I also add spinach, parsley, celery, avocado, chia & flax seeds, sometimes walnuts.

Can not handle the bitterness from collards either - but maybe in the bullet it may be better?

I'm really glad I bought the nutri-bullet. Use to have a Magic Bullet, but it broke.
even though it's stronger than the magic one. It liquifies a milk shake and like mine a bit chunky.

I've been pondering about getting one of those, and you're definitely NOT getting long winded!
nah-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif

(yep, I'm exploring more emo/smily thingies, lol!)

......this one's just silly..........
poking-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif

.......oh, brother..........

ballerina-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif

...and you have to REALLY look at this one to figure out what it's doing! Lol!

booger-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif

Is it Numri, picking his nose? Did I win????

Spellbound,

I live in Canada and I think it is available in the US. It is over the counter here, but I can't remember what section.

Indications: Gravol® Immediate Release & Long Acting Caplet is for the prevention and treatment of nausea, vomiting and dizziness due to motion sickness.

It won't let me post an image, so try this link and look for the pink box: http://gravol.ca/en/products/for-adults/gravol®-immediate-release/

Aaargh! Booger alert! lol :seeya:...missed my Websleuth fix and you Sidebarians most of all.

Did a couple of days in Biloxi, MS, feeding dollar bills into the one-armed bandits that greedily siphoned it up. They've taken away all the fun slot machines that I used to enjoy and I'm pretty thrifty (ok...cheap) in general and a sore loser anyway, so I spent most of my time in our waterfront room, watching American Pickers and Storage Wars, and staring out at the Gulf. And then we went to the all-you-can-eat buffet and launched ourselves into it face first, like lions on a wildebeest. Talk about eating until your eyes bleed! Then we passed out for a few hours. Does this sound like fun? Not really. lol....We came back a day early. Plus it was a 1,000 mile round trip in our 15-year-old truck. What were we thinking?? I can have, like, a gazillion times more fun here at home, on my computer, on Websleuths. That's a fact!
:loveyou:

If you put enough stuff in the nutri-bullet, it all tastes good to me. Especially if served well-chilled. I'm not that big on veggies, so I love it when I can get mega-doses in a drinkable dosage. Added benefit: I feel so virtuous afterwards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member