Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=+1]Serial Pursuit Trivia Quiz[/SIZE]

Correct!
You answered 16 items out of 20 correctly.
Your score is 80%. Congratulations! Your score is much higher than average. Learn more about the history of serial killers by clicking on the links below.
Manson and Jack the Ripper tripped me up. :shame:

I am gritting my teeth trying to to say anything to my grandson about buying a Pontiac Sunfire. I think it would haunt me and I'd think of Caylee little body in the trunk. So should I just get over it, or tell him to look for something else?

If you have a positive relationship with your G-son, tell him how you feel, I bet he would listen to you. I believe my oldest G-son would think about how I feel, not so sure about my other G-son.

Bender lady .... he's probably very excited to be getting a new car .... and it probably won't look like the older one George had. Those are my thoughts. :) But if it were me, I'd be looking at a Toyota - they last forever!

Horrific circular thunderstorms came through with 60-80 mph winds. Took a huge branch off a tree in my backyard woods and blew it into the AC unit on the side of the house. Unit is dented and I hope it works when the power comes back on. It got dark so fast and the wind so forceful, it was blowing the doggie door flaps open. I can only imagine the fear of those in Tornado Alley and areas of risk. Stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeToBendPages View Post
"I am gritting my teeth trying to to say anything to my grandson about buying a Pontiac Sunfire. I think it would haunt me and I'd think of Caylee little body in the trunk. So should I just get over it, or tell him to look for something else?"

I wouldn't be so hard on him. Good deals on used cars are hard to find. Your feelings about a Sunfire are understandable to us, but if you put yourself in his shoes, well... not so much...

[SIZE=+1]Serial Pursuit Trivia Quiz[/SIZE]

Correct!
You answered 16 items out of 20 correctly.
Your score is 80%. Congratulations! Your score is much higher than average. Learn more about the history of serial killers by clicking on the links below.
Manson and Jack the Ripper tripped me up. :shame:

I was doing the test and closed out by clicking on the wrong darn tab. Surprising Ted Bundy last statement and what he studied for got me. I thought he did the you'll never know as his final words, and that he studied Psychology. I was sure it was criminal justice, but in hind sight that was why he was at the suicide call center with Ann Rule.

Bender lady .... he's probably very excited to be getting a new car .... and it probably won't look like the older one George had. Those are my thoughts. :) But if it were me, I'd be looking at a Toyota - they last forever!

He'll be his first car/truck and he saw that and thought it looked cool and racy. But he looks at life and things much different that we do, and at times it drive me up a wall. He has done his drivers license online, took the certificate to the DMV and they took it and told him to schedule the driving part, but he didn't want to go to driving school, and thinks he can just get in and drive.

I've been letting him drive late very early (around two) in the morning when traffic is sparse. Two weeks ago he drove Anna and I to Walmart, and after hitting curbs, almost taking out the whole drivers side of a brand spanking new Cadillac Escalade that goes for almost one hundred thousand dollar, (That's more than what we paid for our house in 1983.) when he made a wide turn in the parking lot to park my suv. On the way home we took another route so he could practice driving past the police station, and he was fast approaching a red light at forty five miles an hour, and Anna and I were yelling red light, and he had about a hundred feet to stop. He took turning into MacDonald at forty five miles an hour. Anna and I almost got on our knee and kiss the ground when we got home. I've told him there is not enough Valium in this world to ride with him again. I want him to go to driving school and drive with someone that isn't me.

He told me one day that it's not stealing if you live in the same house.

Have you ever just felt like screaming really really loud? I feel like that right now. It’s because the shelter gave Benji to me when he was only 5 weeks old not 8 weeks like they told me. I know he’s been fixed, my Vet has seen him twice since I brought him home. I wonder how old he was when this was done. He was 5 weeks when I got him, and he did not act like a puppy who had just had surgery. My Sadie Girl was 6 weeks old when I got her, she had just been put in the cage after waking up from her surgery, she was really out of it. For a few days. I saw her scar, it was very tender. The shelter told me Benji had just had his surgery; I noticed his tummy did not look tender at all, not even red. My Vet pointed out two scars on Benji on his first visit. Both had been healed for some time. I’m not mad at Benji, I’m just very angry with the shelter, I’ve been expecting Benji to do what I am telling him to believing he’s older than he is. I mean three weeks can make a difference, right? I love my Vet; I’ve known her since way before she even started school. She and my daughter are very good friends. She’s going to call the shelter and see what’s up. I wonder how young a puppy can have his surgery done. I forgot to ask my Vet. I had planned to start Benji in obedience school today. But he has to have his rabies shot first, yesterday when he saw the Vet she wanted to hold off on that for another three weeks. I was shocked! She said she kept thinking about me telling her about the dates on his paperwork being confusing, she decided to look into it, she said she believed Benji is three weeks younger than we thought. I thought it was only about one week. :/ But on the bright side, at least I know why Benji is not remembering the same things I’m teaching him. He knows sit, sometimes, stay, sometimes, he is doing so much better about going outside to do his business. For the first month it was awful, he just didn’t get it, now I know he just couldn’t get, he was still trying to figure out how everything worked. We had to tear up our bedroom carpeting and the pad. It smelled horrible. Yesterday we had new flooring put down, so far so good. WOW! This is a long post. Thanks for listening  It feels good to vent.

Have you tried Craigslist or Freecycle? When people switch to AC, they end up getting rid of their swamp coolers without any forethought of using both during the summer depending on the humidity.

There are some blue colored pads you can buy, some as thick as 4" that are really great. Better than the paper or excelsior type pads that just mold and fall apart.
Other than running a de-scaler through the pump and pad ports, greasing the pump motor and "squirrel cage", and making sure there's no holes in the netting around the water inlet on the pump, you should be good to go. (And just for s**ts and grins, take a level out with you and make sure the unit is level: if it's off, part of your pads wont get water on them and the reservoir at the bottom may overflow on one side.
Usually the biggest issue is people don't have a pump that is strong enough to consistently saturate the pads. Depending on the unit, they need to go up to a higher horse power or CFM (cubic feet per minute)/GPH (gallons per hour).
At 95 degrees your smaller pump has issues keeping the pads saturated, specially if you jack up your fan to "high" which evaporates much more water much quicker.
If you go for a new model, the ones that "purge" the water every 8 hours are really good. Keeps your pads cleaner and fresh water is put in 3x's a day.
Honestly, I like the big old swamp coolers better. They ROCK!

Thanks for all of these tips; I recognize them! One thing that I failed to do during some years was to oil the bearings--and those are giving out a little, but they aren't making the scraping sound anymore since I oiled them pretty well this year. One of them was starting to go (two small pieces of it fell into the cooler), but I think the oil saturation saved them.

I have a good pump. They aren't cheap and have to be replaced every few years it seems, but you're right. They're worth the extra price.

I did not know that there were purge models available and will look into them.

A friend of mine who has been repairing part of my roof has a cooler like mine that he is not using. My motor is still good, so I could use that again if need be. But honestly, I need to save some money and get a new one just for peace of mind. This one doesn't completely saturate the pads--only saturates them in places, but it still works really well. Again though, these evap coolers work well depending on where you live. For my house and environment, it's perfect. I grew up with heavy duty refrigerated air in the St. Louis area and understand why some people want and need refrigerated air.

I'll keep an eye out for the new ones. If I could find a combo of the new and the old, I'd be happy. Thanks much. :seeya:

Horrific circular thunderstorms came through with 60-80 mph winds. Took a huge branch off a tree in my backyard woods and blew it into the AC unit on the side of the house. Unit is dented and I hope it works when the power comes back on. It got dark so fast and the wind so forceful, it was blowing the doggie door flaps open. I can only imagine the fear of those in Tornado Alley and areas of risk. Stay safe!

Is your power back on yet?

My favorite swamp cooler:

swamp_cooler.jpg

Google images "swamp cooler"

Had 2 of these puppies on an adobe house I was renting way, way back in Scottsdale, they kicked butt, even during the monsoon season.

That's it! That's exactly what I am dealing with. Luckily, mine is on the ground (air goes into ductwork) so I don't have to get up on the roof.

Have you ever just felt like screaming really really loud? I feel like that right now. It’s because the shelter gave Benji to me when he was only 5 weeks old not 8 weeks like they told me. I know he’s been fixed, my Vet has seen him twice since I brought him home. I wonder how old he was when this was done. He was 5 weeks when I got him, and he did not act like a puppy who had just had surgery. My Sadie Girl was 6 weeks old when I got her, she had just been put in the cage after waking up from her surgery, she was really out of it. For a few days. I saw her scar, it was very tender. The shelter told me Benji had just had his surgery; I noticed his tummy did not look tender at all, not even red. My Vet pointed out two scars on Benji on his first visit. Both had been healed for some time. I’m not mad at Benji, I’m just very angry with the shelter, I’ve been expecting Benji to do what I am telling him to believing he’s older than he is. I mean three weeks can make a difference, right? I love my Vet; I’ve known her since way before she even started school. She and my daughter are very good friends. She’s going to call the shelter and see what’s up. I wonder how young a puppy can have his surgery done. I forgot to ask my Vet. I had planned to start Benji in obedience school today. But he has to have his rabies shot first, yesterday when he saw the Vet she wanted to hold off on that for another three weeks. I was shocked! She said she kept thinking about me telling her about the dates on his paperwork being confusing, she decided to look into it, she said she believed Benji is three weeks younger than we thought. I thought it was only about one week. :/ But on the bright side, at least I know why Benji is not remembering the same things I’m teaching him. He knows sit, sometimes, stay, sometimes, he is doing so much better about going outside to do his business. For the first month it was awful, he just didn’t get it, now I know he just couldn’t get, he was still trying to figure out how everything worked. We had to tear up our bedroom carpeting and the pad. It smelled horrible. Yesterday we had new flooring put down, so far so good. WOW! This is a long post. Thanks for listening  It feels good to vent.

Yeah, sometimes when you adopt a dog, people don't know how old the puppy is. When we got Daisy, she had recently been spayed and was still drugged from the surgery. They said she was 10 weeks old, but how did they know? She has her hangups, one of which is men and another of which is bags of any kind. Sometimes, too, they can only guess or operate on hearsay about the parents of the dog, e.g., "What kind of dog is that?"

But when you are responsible for raising a puppy, weeks definitely matter. Cheers to you for caring so much and paying such close attention.

They fixed a five week old puppy? I thought the age was closer to four to five months. That is about the time Sport and Mona got fixed. There is a difference in a five week old and eight week one. I can't believe they would deceive someone to take a puppy. It's hard to believe they didn't know his age. He's been just being weaned by his mama, and starting to eat solid food at five weeks. I know that the city animal shelter tells people to bring back proof of it being fixed within a timefram. I don't know what they do if people don't. We are talking weeks aren't we? Surgery on a five week old puppy FGS.

1933 - Don McNeill's Pepper Pot (Breakfast Club) begins 35 year run on NBC

[video=youtube;myqfeZ0rMfI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=myqfeZ0rMfI[/video]

I miss simpler times.

Bottled Water Recall, 11 States Affected

"...The following brands bottled between June 10 and June 18 were affected: Acadia, Acme, Big Y, Best Yet, 7-11, Niagara, Nature's Place, Pricerite, Superchill, Morning Fresh, Shaws, Shoprite, Western Beef Blue and Wegman's.

“This effects a regional level. Over the eight days, this bottled water was shipped to over 11 states,”says Bratskeir in a FOXBusiness.com interview.
The states affected include Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Ohio, Vermont, Virginia, and North Carolina, and Pennsylvania...."

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2015/06/22/11-states-affected-in-bottled-water-recall/
----

Niagara Water: Consumer Notice

"...Our voluntary recall only affects SPRING WATER (Not Purified Water) manufactured at our Hamburg, PA and Allentown, PA facilities between June 10 – June 18th.

Spring water bottles with a date code starting with the letter A or F are the only bottles affected. Please reference the download above for the complete list of date codes...."

http://www.niagarawater.com/consumer-notice/

Niagara-05L-DR-Date-Codes.jpg

BBM LOL! Somebody thought it was a good idea to name water "Western Beef Blue"? Sounds like a dog food brand!

Hi janx, thanks for the picture. I've never seen a swamp cooler. We have A/C and with my breathing and Johnnys we need it. Just beautiful here today. near 80, no humidity. We had heavy rain last night and this morning. I'm hoping for an interesting trial., waiting for Jenice but they pushed it back to January..:seeya:

1925 - Landslides create 3-mile long "Slide Lake" (Gros Ventre Wyoming)

[video=youtube;opIwzxKyBXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=opIwzxKyBXc[/video]

I love this bar. He's from Moore Oklahoma. Part of Eastern was named for him. I lived on that street before we moved to Texas.

[video=youtube;-Fulz4ytZ54]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fulz4ytZ54&list=PL87088C949E45DFDE&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Just an FYI, because so many of you have "held my hand" through the last three months. My father-in-law just passed away. He was so good to me, and I really love him. If I am not around through the next several days, we are going to spend time with Mom.

Thank you, all, for being here if I needed someone.

You've lifted my spirits and made me laugh many times and I'll be standing by to be here for you!

:daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member