SIDEBAR #58 - Travis Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning & Afternoon :wave: and evening for Susza!

Spellbound said:
Prayers will come, ASAP. I like participating in clinical trials. I hope she gets the good stuff and finds advantages she has not had thus far. Ouch! Torn rotator cuff can be very uncomfortable, to say the least. Not fair! Hopefully, she gets her test Athursday and starts that trial.

She will be going in for the same drug that Jimmy Carter took! I hope it works for her as it worked for him! :happydance:
Just wondering - can torn rotator cuff make her arm swell like that? :waitasec:

Hatfield said:
Many prayers for your sister.

Susza said:
Yes, Niner, JINGLES are coming your sister's way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YESorNO said:
Prayers for your sister Niner

Hope everything turns out good for her.

:tyou: Hatfield, Susza and YESorNO! Very much appreciated! :luv:

for all that have snow - :snowball:

I read that book - "If I Did It" - when the Goldman's released it... :book:

I like your idea Hatfield on buying the island!! :skip:

and here's my smile for the day coffeejunkie! :D

No rain today and tomorrow. But a BIG storm coming in on Friday and Saturday, so I'll have to my grocery shopping tomorrow - don't want to get stuck in the rain Friday! :)

Okay - let's see if I can post this picture...

:seeya:

Attachments

• LaughBestMedicine.jpg
    LaughBestMedicine.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 57
Don't worry about driving in snow, I've got the perfect vehicle for you all.

[video=youtube;KddjaeCMqlo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KddjaeCMqlo[/video]

Snowy day reads for y'all:

A Mother's Crime

"The golden dream had become a nightmare long before Lucille Miller was charged with murder. Her daughter, Debra J. Miller, remembers the day her family woke up..."

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/apr/02/magazine/tm-dreams14
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something nicer:

The life of Shelagh Gordon

"Sometimes, even after all this time, a newspaper’s work simply takes my breath away. Such was the case with The Shelagh Gordon Project.

Last winter, the Toronto Star sought to describe the impact of one “ordinary” person on the lives of those around her. From its own obituaries, editors pulled the name of Shelagh Gordon, who died on Feb. 13. “When Gordon’s obituary appeared in the Star, with its description of her as ‘our rock, our good deed doer, our tradition keeper, our moral compass,’ we knew we’d found the perfect subject,” editors wrote.

The Star’s response was likely unprecedented in the annals of journalism. It sent 20 staffers to the woman’s funeral. Another half-dozen editors, designers and online experts also took part. The result is beyond spectacular...

Our world is a collection of small revelations, of little people doing things we think of as ordinary. Community newspapers exist to bring those snapshots of unexamined life into focus. I was profoundly moved by The Shelagh Gordon Project and I bet you will be too. How can you shed an extraordinary light on the ordinary in your hometown?"

https://wicknews.wordpress.com/2012/08/03/the-life-of-shelagh-gordon/
--

A sad, but lovely story con't:

Shelagh was here — an ordinary, magical life

Shelagh Gordon died suddenly at 55 in February, 2012, leaving an ordinary but magical life. A Star team of reporters and photographers joined those paying witness.
"I met Shelagh Gordon at her funeral.

She was soap-and-water beautiful, vital, unassuming and funny without trying to be. I could feel her spirit tripping over a purse in the funeral hall and then laughing from the floor.

She was both alone and crowded by love. In another era, she’d have been considered a spinster — no husband, no kids. But her home teemed with dogs, sisters, nieces, nephews and her “life partner” —a gay man — who would pass summer nights reading books in bed beside her wearing matching reading glasses...

Shelagh made people around her feel not just loved but coveted. That was the golden thread that stitched together the ordinary seams of her life...

Funerals are as much collective meditations as tearful goodbyes to one person. We use the departed life as a lens to assess our own. In that way, Shelagh Gordon is the perfect choice of an allegedly ordinary local woman whose life was actually huge in scope and as worthy of scrutiny as any big-life celebrity. She is you. She is us...

Shelagh had found her calling — loving people fiercely and with abandon..

...“What is a life worth?”

In the past, I have often answered this question with achievements — campaigns, masterpieces, spiritual or literal changes to humankind and the world. The measure, I’ve thought, is Sophie Scholl or Charles Darwin or Nelson Mandela.

Shelagh’s life offers another lens. She didn’t change the world forcibly, but she changed many people in it. She lightened them. She inspired them, though she likely didn’t realize it. She touched them in simple ways most of us don’t because we are too caught-up and lazy.

Her life reveals that it doesn’t take much to make a difference every day — just deep, full love —and that can be sewn with many different kinds of stitches..."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/03/16/shelagh_was_here_an_ordinary_magical_life.html
--

shelaghgordon.jpeg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpeg

(Shelagh Gordon died suddenly at 55 in February, 2012, leaving an ordinary but magical life.)
--

Kind World #6: An Ordinary, Beautiful Life

"Shelagh Gordon was another name in the obituaries, an ordinary woman who had died suddenly of a massive brain aneurysm at the age of 55. But something in her obituary stood out to a journalist at the Toronto Star. For weeks, Catherine Porter had been combing the paper, looking to profile an ordinary person through the perspectives of the family and friends he or she had left behind. What emerged was an extraordinary portrait.

Gordon’s story is told by her oldest sister, Heather Cullimore, her niece, Jessica Cullimore, her best friend, Andy Schulz, and by Porter for WBUR’s Kind World..."

http://www.wbur.org/2014/01/08/an-ordinary-beautiful-life
--

Shelagh Was Here

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/shelagh_gordon.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shelagh Gordon sounds like a remarkable person. I am saving these stories to read tomorrow. As always, thanks for sharing.

And 2 quizzes for today:

Quiz: What Is Your Personality Type Based On The Words You Use?

http://www.yourtango.com/2015279476/quiz-your-personality-type-based-words-you-use

I am:

The Mastermind
You're the Mastermind! Based on the words you use, you're a natural born leader with strong logical decision making skills and a remarkable ability to succeed. You always lead with your head and you pride yourself on your ability to be logical and objective. You see the world exactly as it is and you know how to make it work for you. Creative, industrious and capable, others look up to you and easily follow your lead. Your personality is that of a true thinker and leader! Your potential is boundless, we're expecting great things from you!

:pcguru:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer These Three Questions And We’ll Tell You What Type Of Book You Should Read :lookingitup:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/farrahpenn/...ons-and-well-tell-you-what-type-of#.nuddoOz7M

You got: Historical Fiction
You’re more of a refined, sophisticated person with picky tastes. :dramaqueen: But because you enjoy learning about the past, your next read should be in the historical genre. Give The Nightingale or The Book Thief a try.

:floorlaugh:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, too, got "Mastermind" and "Historical Fiction." Great minds, and all that? haha

(snipped)

I feel for you GigiG with your plumbing problems. :therethere:

Who is "he"- your DH or some marvelous plumber? :thinking: Send him to my house (I'll treat him like royalty if he is handy around the house :facepalm: as I've lost my handyman this year and neither me or my son are handy :( ).

BBM

There are 2 self-sufficient islands for rent:

Top 10 of Self-Sufficient Islands

"...Sanda Island
Scotland (does it snow in Scotland???)

Sanda Island has around 45 acres of arable farmland in the middle, while the rest of the island’s almost 400 acres extends across hilly meadows, on which sheep graze in an idyllic setting. Guests who want to experience the rough charm of the Scottish coast in a completely pristine form can rent renovated rooms in a traditional farmhouse.

Whoever buys the island is allowed to carry the title “Laird of Sanda,” issue his own stamps, and strike his own gold coins.

Further information on Sanda Island for rent...

df0446a160023cf7321f03b58a323a3b.620x500x0.jpg

Galloo Island
Upstate New York, USA

Self-sufficiency should be no problem here. Encompassing almost 2,000 acres, Galloo Island is an all-American private island paradise. Located smack bang in the middle of Lake Ontario, Galloo boasts fertile earth, a herd of wild deer and even its own electricity. That’s right - thanks to its network of solar systems and wind turbines, your dream of a self-sustainable life doesn’t need to stop at what’s on the menu!

Further Information on Galloo Island for rent...

9e6c10bc27d68bf83ca72bc70f19790b.620x500x0.jpg

http://www.vladi-private-islands.de/en/top-10-self-sufficient/

I wouldn't want to live in the Upstate NY one tho'- too much snow :snowflake::snowflake:

And here are the islands for sale: (take your pick, but you might want to win a lottery first - mucho money needed :what: - although there are some under 1 million $ :sheesh:):

http://www.vladi-private-islands.de/en/objects/o:for-sale/

This island- going for $720,000:

"This Cay is set in one of the most beautiful areas of the Bahamas, the North Bight of Andros. Imagine a sea of turquoise waters as far as the eye can see. Views of small islands sprinkled on the horizon, faint lights of Mangrove Cay in the evening and a cool ocean breeze coupled with complete privacy provides the setting of this private island. It is surrounded by miles of bonefishing waters, and you can even fish off the island!

The island was developed with a cottage and in 1934 the owner at the time created pathways around the island that still exist today. There was also a landscaped area around the home but this is now overgrown...

The natural features of the island include 10 ft. elevations, three small beaches, traditional island vegetation and the remnants of an old stone dock. Water depths of about three ft. for many miles around are ideal for speed boat access.

This private cay is a "one-of-a-kind" island that is becoming harder and harder to find available for sale in the Bahamas."

http://www.vladi-private-islands.de...-cay-in-the-andros-islands+bahamas+caribbean/

Andros-Island-79870.jpg

(More pics on the website)

We better start saving our pennies because we will need a lot of them to buy an island. :floorlaugh:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBM

"He" is my SIL, and like I said, I wish I could clone him. He's a licensed building engineer by trade, so he can do ANYTHING! But more than that he's sweet and handsome and good natured. I've known a lot of great repairmen who could do a good job, but left much to be desired in the charm department. You put up with those guys because you're desperate and so very grateful that they showed up at your door. But having someone like my SIL is something I never could have anticipated. Just goes to show that the rewards for all that hard work you put into raising your kids doesn't stop with them becoming good people; they also attract good people!

---------------------------

I'm going to go with the island in the Bahamas. Not only is it nice and warm there, but that's an AMAZING price!!! FGS, that's the cost of a run-of-the-mill (nothing special) 3-BR house around here.

But I guess we'd have to add in the cost of building a dream home big enough for all of us, which would put it well over $1M...

BBM :floorlaugh:

Anna sounds just like me younger sister. When she was little, she would tell everyone in the neighborhood our business. Couldn't shut her up.

We call her Nana (old lady/grandma). :giggle:

It takes more than a cookie now a days. When she was three it only cost a cookie and one innocent question "did you and daddy have a nice trip to the store?" and she'd talk and I'd give her another cookie. It worked much better after she had her first Oreo cookie. My sister gave her one , and Anna gave me a "what else don't you let me have"dirty look.

I am a blast from the past personality type! Based on the words you use, you're reserved, traditional, intelligent and somewhat formal. Your charm and style clearly belong to a different time. You value hard work, independence and the finer things in life. You're introspective and sensitive but you're direct and easily see through people. You appreciate understatement, especially in humor, and there's nothing that upsets you more than over the top displays of emotion. You're pure class and a true blast from the past!

and

Historical Fiction

There are only ten more days of January. Can you believe that time has been flying by?

1885 - The roller coaster was patented by La Marcus Thompson of, where else, Coney Island, NY. His coaster was 450 feet long with the highest drop being 30 feet.

[video=youtu;dkNVwV5zquM]http://youtu.be/dkNVwV5zquM[/video]

OMG, I know DC has a reputation for being wimpy when it comes to snow, but I can't believe what I'm seeing from my own front windows.

I live at the top of hill, and have seen car after car slide horizontally down the hill (whether that's the direction they were intending or not).

We only have a few inches of snow so far (the BIG storm is supposed to come Friday), but it's been so cold, everything is frozen. And these are narrow city streets, not a lot of room for error when drivers lose control.

Yikes!

OMG, I know DC has a reputation for being wimpy when it comes to snow, but I can't believe what I'm seeing from my own front windows.

I live at the top of hill, and have seen car after car slide horizontally down the hill (whether that's the direction they were intending or not).

We only have a few inches of snow so far (the BIG storm is supposed to come Friday), but it's been so cold, everything is frozen. And these are narrow city streets, not a lot of room for error when drivers lose control.

Yikes!

Got your supplies laid in? Water, candles/flashlights, a few can goods? A good book or a nap.

and you'll need music

[video=youtu;XAbY2cmEsS0]http://youtu.be/XAbY2cmEsS0[/video]

BBM

snipped for space

I'm going to go with the island in the Bahamas. Not only is it nice and warm there, but that's an AMAZING price!!! FGS, that's the cost of a run-of-the-mill (nothing special) 3-BR house around here.

But I guess we'd have to add in the cost of building a dream home big enough for all of us, which would put it well over $1M...

I'm looking for a nice big lodge for us. Something plantation style plenty of windows,a main room with a large fireplace, and our room to decorate in our style.

Or if someone wants a little cottage close by, we'll certainly have the space. A nice boat for dh and Hatfield to tow us along as we para sail across the cay, and to take us out deep enough to dive and snorkel.

This will show you that I must of been dropped as a child.

When I had my hysterectomy, I woke up in recovery and this song was in my head. It played in my head all day and that long night when morphine wasn't working.

[video=youtu;R8x9oNZ7CcI]http://youtu.be/R8x9oNZ7CcI[/video]

Got your supplies laid in? Water, candles/flashlights, a few can goods? A good book or a nap.

and you'll need music

[video=youtu;XAbY2cmEsS0]http://youtu.be/XAbY2cmEsS0[/video]

Planning to get those provisions tomorrow afternoon. Hoping the Federal government only gives workers a 2-hour delay at most, but who knows.

Either way, gotta make hay while the sun shines. Tomorrow will be the only day this week with temps above freezing. Some are predicting that, starting Friday, we'll be snowed in until Wednesday (which will be okay with me IF I can get those provisions).

Still, (again, starting Friday), they're calling for blizzard conditions, with winds up to 30mph. Power outages likely. That always throws me for a loop. I've become so addicted to being online, it's hard to transition -- in an instant -- to not being connected. But I do have a good stash of books yet to be read...

And even though I have a gas stove, it still needs electricity to work. Cheese and crackers? Dunno...

Jeez, just got through not having a functioning bathroom. Not looking forward to the possibility of not being able to have hot food...

Planning to get those provisions tomorrow afternoon. Hoping the Federal government only gives workers a 2-hour delay at most, but who knows.

Either way, gotta make hay while the sun shines. Tomorrow will be the only day this week with temps above freezing. Some are predicting that, starting Friday, we'll be snowed in until Wednesday (which will be okay with me IF I can get those provisions).

Still, (again, starting Friday), they're calling for blizzard conditions, with winds up to 30mph. Power outages likely. That always throws me for a loop. I've become so addicted to being online, it's hard to transition -- in an instant -- to not being connected. But I do have a good stash of books yet to be read...

And even though I have a gas stove, it still needs electricity to work. Cheese and crackers? Dunno...

Jeez, just got through not having a functioning bathroom. Not looking forward to the possibility of not being able to have hot food...

Try and see if you can light the burners on your stove with a match. I can if my stove is unplugged. It's the electrically that ignite the burners when you turn on the gas. That way you can have more than cheese and crackers.

I, too, got "Mastermind" and "Historical Fiction." Great minds, and all that? haha

I got Intuitive Healer and Historical Fiction. So I am the half wit of you two ;)

We are going to get up to 2 feet of snow by Saturday here in Delaware. Snow seems fitting at the moment.

Slept most of the day yesterday and last night. I sure did need it! I have not sleep very well last few days...was too wired for sleep.

Off to read. Be back later

Good Morning! SHOW YOU SMILE TODAY AND STAY POSITIVE :)

Seems I have missed a couple birthdays (dog.gone.cute & daisymae) :bdsong:

Prayers for your sis, Niner. Hope it works out for her. And Niner, I sure do like your smiles :) :)

Islands? Sound good by me :) When are we going ??

Today is National Squirrel Day! Get out there and show your support for the squirrel :giggle:

It is a hit or miss for our area with this big snow system coming in. According what path the storm takes. If it goes one way, we get about an 1" of snow, the other path will be 8" or more!

23 Annoying Noises and How to Eliminate Them Forever

Most homeowners can get used to outside noise, like airplanes, trains and the neighbor kid's garage band, but those persistent little sounds in our own home are what will drive you crazy. The good news is that most home noises are easy to eliminate without spending hours on repairs or a ton of money. Here is a collection of fixes for the most annoying squeaks, creaks, gurgles and bangs.
http://www.familyhandyman.com/smart...-to-eliminate-them-forever?trkid=ZFB0925SLIDE

Just one of those days...

Attachments

• 12239665_908428092526115_3072867166532869401_n.jpg
    12239665_908428092526115_3072867166532869401_n.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 40
Absolutely Easy Apple Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
1 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
3 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup chopped nuts ( if desired)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Directions
Mix together first seven ingredients in mixer.
Mix 2 minutes at medium speed.
Fold in chopped nuts.
Coat bundt pan with cooking spray and flour.
Bake at 350 degrees 35-40 minutes.
Insert toothpick to check for doneness.
Cool 5 mins in pan, invert to plate.
Cool, dust with powered sugar.

Sour Cream Banana Bread

Ingredients
1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup chopped nuts ( omit if you don't like nuts)
1/2 cup sour cream
---------------------------------------------------------------
Directions
Grease 1 large loaf pan.
Cream margarine, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
Add dry ingredients, then bananas, nuts and sour cream.
Mix well.
Bake at 350 F for 45 min to 1 hour depending on your oven.

Slow Cooker Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs

Yield: 2-3 dozen

Ingredients

•1 1/4 pounds ground beef

•3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs

•4 mozzarella cheese sticks, each cut into 6-8 small pieces

•2 cloves garlic, minced

•1 egg

•1 egg yolk

•3/4 tablespoon Italian seasoning

•1 teaspoon onion powder

•kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

•marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought, garnish

Directions

1.In a large bowl, combine ground beef with breadcrumbs, egg and egg yolk, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic, salt and pepper.
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs.00_00_13_13.Still003

2.Use your hands to mix everything together until combined.

3.Take a small handful of meat (2-3 tablespoons) and roll it into a ball. Flatten the ball and place 1 cube mozzarella cheese in the center.
collage

4.Form meat into a round ball around the cheese, then repeat with remaining meat and cheese cubes.

5.Place all cheese-stuffed meatballs in the slow cooker, then cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours (or on LOW for 3-4), or until meatballs are cooked all the way through, but still tender and juicy.

We are going to get up to 2 feet of snow by Saturday here in Delaware. Snow seems fitting at the moment.

You all (coffeeJ, too) be careful if you have to go out driving in this mess! GigiG ..... I know you have to get to and from work and will worry about you today. I hope all goes well, you don't slip and slide, and you get your provisions stocked up just in case you get stuck at home.

Zuri, stay in and enjoy the view.

CoffeeJunkie, stay put. Hope you get the low end of accumulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member