SIDEBAR #7- Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there is confusion. I think Juan needs to make things clearer in his next go-around. I thought JW did a good job in conveying to the jurors that they didn't have to use only the 8 mitigating factors they presented -- they could use other factors. I am confused about what these "other" things could be. I don't think it can just be a free-for-all. That would not make sense. There is a way to do it under the law, but it's just that apparently no one knows how.

<respectfully snipped>

Furthermore, if a mitigating factor is allowed by law, it has to be substantially proven by the defense. JSs said that means "more often true than not true." IMO, by law that would mean there was NO verbal abuse, because what the defense showed was just one text exchange, and to me that does not meet up to the standard, more often than not. Even if one takes that text message as verbal abuse, it's still fact based on the evidence, that Travis was NOT verbally abusive more often than not abusive.

So there is some law aspect of it involved in the penalty phase. I thing right there is what Juan needs to make MUCH MORE CLEAR to the next jury. That they cannot go about making up their own laws, even in the life/death stage.

Well said & IMO an important point. :ditto:

I actually believe now that is exactly what will eventually happen. The split on this jury, the ones who head ALL of the evidence, indicates the next one may be even more divided in the sentencing phase.

The one question I do have regarding the "retrial" of the sentencing phase is this. Will the new jury hear exactly the same witnesses or will the defense be able to add more than just JA's allocation?

:waitasec:

I hope they negotiate. I wonder too, ALV and Samuals can clearly not return, but Geffner may I guess.

The only gun and knife that is relevant to the case is the gun and knife that killed Travis. Any other guns or knives that Jodi had have nothing to do with the case. She could have had an aresenal of guns and a kitchen full of knives but if none of them were the murder weapons (and none of them were) they've immaterial.

Why in the world should the prosecution be allowed to even mention a gun she had in her car that was not the one that killed Travis or knives in her car that were not the ones that killed Travis? Just because she had them and they were in her car doesn't have anything at all to do with the case. They're irrelevant.

Besides, it was already known that she disposed of the murder weapons somewhere on her way from Travis's house to Utah. She testified to having disposed of the gun that way, and it's logical that she also would have disposed of the knife that way not wanting either one of the murder weapons with her in case she got caught. The prosecution already had no reason to attempt to bring in the knives in her car as one of them being the possible murder weapon (the Barretta was the wrong caliber so couldn't have been), so why would they even WANT to mention the Berretta and the knives in her car when they agreed that she disposed of both weapons she used to kill Travis somewhere on her way from AZ to UT? The Berretta and knives in her car have nothing to do with the case since they weren't the murder weapons, and the prosecution AGREED that they weren't.

Because Jodi had the 9mm and several knives in the rental car when she was arrested, along with the rest of her belongings. Unfortunately those items do have a bearing on this case. Jodi was on her way to kill/harm someone when she was arrested. Question is, who was it? This female was on her way to becoming a serial killer.

Also, was it not shown to the jury in the interview with Flores that Jodi had the 9mm that she bought legally after she killed Travis? I was pretty sure that it was. And if it was shown to the jury then the State did not agree that the 9mm and several knives were not important to the case of the murder of Travis Alexander.

MOO

I love how Jean Casarez mentioned more than once that the juror who looked like Jodi's mom was the one during the guilt phase who was looking defiant and determined and then during the death penalty phase that that same juror was acting like that again. I watched the interview with her and she voted for death. So much for JC's opinion.

Respectfully, it Depends who/what she felt defiant towards. Jean might have had it just right.

This is why DP is no good. She don't get it but others do? How is that? If you have a DP this tomato needs it. Some old goof thinks she's cute and so that's it?

Dear Foreman: You know poor Jodi's family really could use some help in life. There's this younger sister that is cute too. Be nice if you bought her a car, say. G'head, help her get a better start in life. You could be a big cuddly helper - like a friend, Jodi just needs a soft understanding friend like you. Nice job, by the way. So buy her a car. I really want to see that happen.

I found nothing funny about it at all and was disgusted with how the guy on the stand made sure to show the jury the photos as he was "looking for the evidence tag" to tell the evidence number to Willmott who "forgot" what the number was. I was even more disgusted by the fact that it clearly was NOT Travis' hands in that photo and yet the defense continued to claim that it was in fact Travis. But then I get easily disgusted by folks telling outright lies when the truth is clearly visible.

If it was not TA' picture then why did JM allow it to be entered into evidence? I would think it would be easy to figure out if it came from TA's phone or not. IIRC, Nurmi showed the pic in closing statements and JM did not object. What would the guy on the stand have to gain by showing the jury the picture? I think it was unintentional. I see no motive for him to show the jury. I did not find the penis pic funny, only the looks on the guy's faces.

I hope they negotiate. I wonder too, ALV and Samuals can clearly not return, but Geffner may I guess.

They weren't in the sentencing phase, however, and it is my understanding the new jury will get "cliff notes" version of the actual trial, which I interpreted to be transcripts. My question actually is can either side call witnesses during that phase that they didn't the first time? If so, it doesn't seem appropriate.

Smoked brisket, potato salad, dirty rice, fried green tomatoes
Sweet Tea, Shiner Beer
Dessert is Blue Bell (MoolineumCrunch)

Oh my yet again. I love all that especially fried green tomatoes.
We don't have Shiner Beer or Blue Bell Ice Cream up here. I had Blue Bell in Colorado and it was awesome.
Now the brisket thing, I know it is huge in Texas. Do you only smoke it or do you bake it also?

Why don't you live closer to me????

If it was not TA' picture then why did JM allow it to be entered into evidence? I would think it would be easy to figure out if it came from TA's phone or not. IIRC, Nurmi showed the pic in closing statements and JM did not object. What would the guy on the stand have to gain by showing the jury the picture? I think it was unintentional. I see no motive for him to show the jury. I did not find the penis pic funny, only the looks on the guy's faces.

How exactly was Juan going to prove that it was not Travis? I know, get Daryl on the stand and pull a defense trick.......ask him about it, browbeat him until he admitted that yes it was in fact his male part. In a trial, like in life, you have to pick your battles. This was not one that was worth Juan's time to really fight over. Especially when the bigger picture was the fact that Jodi stabbed Travis at least 27 times, slit his throat from ear to ear and shot him in the face.

There was also, btw, no evidence or testimony that the pic was on Travis' phone. Only the word of a known liar and her defense team.

I found nothing funny about it at all and was disgusted with how the guy on the stand made sure to show the jury the photos as he was "looking for the evidence tag" to tell the evidence number to Willmott who "forgot" what the number was. I was even more disgusted by the fact that it clearly was NOT Travis' hands in that photo and yet the defense continued to claim that it was in fact Travis. But then I get easily disgusted by folks telling outright lies when the truth is clearly visible.

I'm even gladder now that I missed it. Looking at pictures of strangers' genitals has never been high on my list, but if it was used in this way, that would have been so much worse.

Smoked brisket and chickens, potato salad, dirty rice, fried green tomatoes
Sweet Tea, Shiner Beer
Dessert is Blue Bell (MoolineumCrunch)

I'll take a double helping of the fried tomatoes if I can........thanks !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper