SIDEBAR #7- Arias/Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the only thing which would be a mitigating factor, or give me pause, if I was on that jury deciding Life/Death would be her BPD.

Now, if we do what the jury instructions say, we're first supposed to prove if it was "suffienciently proven." Well, I think it was proven by Juan, so that's proof, but at the same time the defense was trying to disprove it by saying no no, the BPD symptoms DeMarte found were actually from PTSD. But since I don't believe the PTSD, I would have to say that the BPD is accurate. However, the defense did muddle the water, but I will still say it's sufficiently proven.

Then I'm supposed to weigh it against the aggravating factor. Considering that she was NOT insane like in the sense of person who does not know what they're doing and not aware of what they're doing, then it doesn't "make up for" the severity of the crime. She was not mentally ill like we think of the people in asylum wards and things. Yes, she has some problem, but that doesn't outweigh the crime.

Also, her having BPD was something that COULD HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED by someone before. It's not Travis' fault that she didn't seek help for her problem. It's not even her parents fault if she refused to listen to them. It's not really her fault b/c I'm assuming part of the problem for people with this problem is that they are not aware they have a problem. But that still is not a factor that outweighs the crime, because it was not Travis' problem whether she had BPD or not.

Therefore, the mitigating factor does not outweight the aggravating = my vote is for the death penalty.

Other things I would consider are her age and no prior criminal history, but it doens't outweigh the aggravating factor. Even together with the BPD, it doesn't outweigh aggravator. So therefore, death penalty.

[/B]

BBM

Good observation. Remind you of anyone? Someone currently sitting in a jail cell at Estrela jail....

Thanks.
Yep, sure does.
It's interesting...
He comes off to me as a narcissist (like JA) by speaking out first and breaking the agreement with other jurors to wait, "schooling" those watching the interview on how mean we've been to JA, saying things like MY jury, etc. I would think two narcissists would despise each other. You would think they would be "fighting for the limelight", knocking each other off the pedestal to "prove" they were the top, etc. Yet, he defends her? Strange.

CBM:
Thank God he got the M1 conviction with this guy on the jury and move forward with whatever they decide is next.

It must make lawyers CRAZY that they could present such a good case and one person can mess it all up! There is only so much allowed to be asked in jury selection and such a short interaction with the person. FRUSTRATING!

True, but you get to question the jurors much more in depth in a DP case. Imagine how JM feels right now?

Hey All... Last juror interview I saw was the 3 including Maureen on GMA ... Sorry to ask but (I searched first) ... Any new jury interviews? TIA

I can't remember the exact words he used, but I did hear that part of his interview. Just projecting here, but maybe he didn't mean he would actually do it even given the opportunity. I, too, would "like to" visit her in jail and talk to her about what she did just out of sheer curiosity. But I would never do it since curiosity killed the cat and whatnot.

:ohoh: Curiosity kills cats? :scared:

I think it's the foreman's ego that makes him think he, being more astute, could find substance
in CMja that is not even there within her.

I kind of feel badly for the foreman (ducks) and the others who voted for LWOP (ducks again). My opinion only is that it's easier to say that you are in favor of the death penalty and that you could vote for it than it is to sit through a grueling five month trial and then vote for it. The three jurors on GMA this morning also stated that when they first walked in to the courtroom, they couldn't believe Jodi was the defendant, that she had an "innocent look". I think the foreman thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to speak to the press (as he was probably getting deluged with inquiries and yes, it seems he has or had a wish to be high-profile) and let's face it, don't we all want to hear from all of them? I don't think he went to these interviews thinking he'd be receiving death threats from sharing his views.

I know this is a very minority opinion on here - please don't hurt me :)

On a lighter note - are we sure that Juror #7 (Paul Rudd) is married? He is cute!

BBM

3 jurors on GMA this morning???? What??? When was this, do they have GMA on Sunday?

Help! Link Please!! Someone, anyone....

True, but you get to question the jurors much more in depth in a DP case. Imagine how JM feels right now?

O/T Hi Outofstate, can JM use the interview that inmate A's friend Patricia gave to news media where she said that yes she had threats but she also indicated that she was ambivalent about speaking for her friend given what JA did? thanks

Juror 18 also has me baffled. It sounds like he was set on hanging that jury the moment he walked in the room. He didn't even want to deliberate. After 2 hours of "deliberating" he asked the judge what should they do now since they are a hung jury. He says he thought a hung jury meant the judge would just give her life. Odd. That's what he wanted so he wanted the jury hung so he would get his way. It makes me wonder who the other three who voted for death really were. I wonder if they just decided to vote that way so it wouldn't look this one guy hung it all up and he would be publicly crucified. IDK...we already know 3 who voted for death and I am getting strong vibes from juror #9 that he was a death vote and was very saddened and frustrated by the outcome.

:ohoh: Curiosity kills cats? :scared:

I think it's the foreman's ego that makes him think he, being more astute, could find substance
in CMja that is not even there within her.

lol...sorry curious!

Well, there are. They are called jury consultants. Perhaps the most famous is JoEllan Demetrius, who picked the OJ jury for the defense. Robert Hirshhorn is probably the best. They don't just pull this stuff out of thin air. They do focus groups, mock trials, etc. using the facts of the particular case they are working on. Some lawyers poo-poo jury consultants and think they know their community well enough to have a feel for things (Marcia Clark infamously disregarded what her jury consultant told her in the OJ case). These folks don't come cheap, but I have found the good ones to be invaluable when a client can afford it.

It's not a black or white choice either. We learn from jury consultants what questions to zero in on. So, just because you might be an older male doesn't automatically disqualify you, but it just sets up a bit of a red flag.

Ya, these folks probably believe in horoscopes too. :floorlaugh:

Angie Lewis ‏@lilangiepangie 1h

@tarakelley320 I would love to hear the reason Juror 5 got kicked off.
Expand
Tara Kelley Tara Kelley ‏@tarakelley320 19m

@lilangiepangie she made a comment that someone overheard! I am waiting to see if she speaks out about it!
Expand
Teresa Pruitt Teresa Pruitt ‏@tpruitt52 4m

@tarakelley320 @lilangiepangie what did she say???
Expand
Careyanne Careyanne ‏@careyanneb 3m

@tpruitt52 @tarakelley320 @lilangiepangie said "$300/hr 4 an expert, u wld think they'd get us more comfortable chairs!!" Not a big deal IMO
Expand

Tara Kelley Tara Kelley ‏@tarakelley320 1m

@careyanneb @tpruitt52 @lilangiepangie yes that's what was said!

Because JM has to pick a new jury real soon. Apparently older men are disposed to feel sorry for JA. I've said before, most trial experts will tell you that cases are usually won or lost during jury selection.

Is there more than one, the foreman, yet, who felt sorry for her?

IIRC, most of the Pinellas County jurors who spoke and let off FKA were pretty young and very ignorant, at least the ones I saw who were all over the news (young female and male). I don't know the age range of those jurors, but making generalizations in this case is premature, IMO, unless I've missed a lot.

I don't think any prisoner "needs" to be kept in perpetual solitary confinement. Cruel and unusual punishment means it's cruel and unusual for anyone. Perpetual or long term solitary confinement is cruel and unusual punishment. There's no getting around that. A human being cannot survive those conditions without losing their mind. It's legally cruelty to keep a dog that way, so why in the world is treating a human being that way considered acceptable? It was the US that taught other countries that this sort of treatment of prisoners is cruelty, and now we do it ourselves.

The death penalty also needs to go. How is it logical that the punishment for killing someone is to kill them? Either killing is bad except for self-defense/defense of another or it isn't. Capital punishment is based on revenge, not punishment or rehabilitation. There is no logical reason why a prisoner guilty of the most heinous crimes can't just be confined to prison for the remainder of their life. Nothing is gained by killing them other than getting revenge. Just as subjecting a prisoner to cruel and unusual treatment like solitary confinement has no logical purpose other than revenge.

Treating human beings with decency and the basics of human needs is a requirement of any just and civil society. Otherwise we become what we claim to despise.

Like most people, I detest the idea that prisoners get to have adequate food, medical care, a roof over their heads, sanitation and basic human dignity when so many poor or ill don't. But that doesn't mean we're treat our prisoners too WELL it means we treat our poor or ill too BADLY.

I hate to see a dog tied up in a yard! I think it's very cruel. If we had other options for murderers, I'd be open to listening. How about if we put the ones that deserve the DP in solitary confinement until they are ready to tell the entire truth about who, what, when, where and how they committed the crime? Show where the bodies, murder weapons, etc are. That way, they are in control of their own destiny. As for Jodi, she is too evil for words. Not for one minute did she ever consider herself to be a victim of abuse. ALV got that &$#% started. Alyce even said Jodi played down the abuse, and refused to accept that she was being abused. She played it down, because it wasn't there. Now, that sociopath won't let it go, even though 12 jurors told her they didn't believe her. It's OK to give life to someone that is remorseful for what they've done. Jodi isn't sorry she killed Travis. She isn't sorry she caused his family to suffer. She isn't sorry about anything, except getting caught. She continues to torture Travis' family with her lies. She continues to trash a man that was probably the nicest man she had ever been involved with. My honest opinion of what happened on June 4th is that Travis tried to defend himself, but never tried to harm Jodi. I think there was a time during that attack, that he could have killed her, but he only tried to get away from her. Then.....it was too late! Putting Jodi to death is the only correct answer. She's just pure evil!

Thanks.
Yep, sure does.
It's interesting...
He comes off to me as a narcissist (like JA) by speaking out first and breaking the agreement with other jurors to wait, "schooling" those watching the interview on how mean we've been to JA, saying things like MY jury, etc. I would think two narcissists would despise each other. You would think they would be "fighting for the limelight", knocking each other off the pedestal to "prove" they were the top, etc. Yet, he defends her? Strange.

Definitely seems narcissistic. As far as saying that JM was "talking down" to them, this may be a case of projection: Because perhaps Mr. F talks down to us -the poor unschooled in the greatness and innocence that is CMJA - that is his wont and why he projects talking down to people onto JM. :moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Merythe