Sidebar Discussion #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't read the entire thread yet, but started when you all are talking about quitting smoking. I just celebrated my 4th anniversary of being "smoke free" after smoking for some 40 years. I quite cold turkey and it was tough for the first week or so. I was actually physically ill most of that time and after that it was easier .. just demanded perseverance!

My biggest inspiration was that I had just bought a new car and didn't want it to be smelly .. plus the cost had increased SO much. My anniversary email from quitnet.com says I have saved $10,444.00 .. now there's inspiration!

Now back to your regular programming! :what:

I did quit cold turkey once and like you was so sick for a week I thought I was going to die! Didn't smoke for 2 years, then one afternoon I joined some friends sitting out in the sun having a beer. We were laugihng and all talking at once. Someone offered me a cigarette and I took it without even thinking - smoked almost all of it before I realized what I'd done.

This time I won't make the mistake of thinking I will feel sssooooo much better. I didn't last time and that was a huge disappointment. But this time, I'm older and it's time.

I did quit cold turkey once and like you was so sick for a week I thought I was going to die! Didn't smoke for 2 years, then one afternoon I joined some friends sitting out in the sun having a beer. We were laugihng and all talking at once. Someone offered me a cigarette and I took it without even thinking - smoked almost all of it before I realized what I'd done.

This time I won't make the mistake of thinking I will feel sssooooo much better. I didn't last time and that was a huge disappointment. But this time, I'm older and it's time.

I have been smoking nearly 50 years. Back in the 50's my mother used to send us to the corner store to buy them, they would sell them to any age back then (I do think we needed a "note", I will have to check with her, if she remembers). :what:

I am the only one in the family who currently smokes. A few days ago everyone in the house woke up with a cold. I am the only one who has been unable to get out of bed with a fever, sore throat & coughing. I tried to quit once and was only successful in cutting down. I also have copd, diagnosed 70% lung function about 10 years ago, I haven't been back for a lung function test since then. My Dr. told me, if you can't quit at least cut down the best you can, this is not advice for everyone, just what my Dr. told me. I still have no desire to quit, although I would encourage everyone else to!!

Chantix and Wellbutrin are the same medication! I used it and it made me over-active. A new doctor almost diagnosed me as bi-polar while I was using it. I quit and went back to normal. Dang, I had so much energy!

My doctor gave me Wellbutrin to try a few years ago. My husband said he wanted to go with me to my next visit because I seemed a little stressed out. I told him and my doctor that I was fine...just get out of my way and don't piss me off. Needless to say that was not the drug for me.

I have been smoking nearly 50 years. Back in the 50's my mother used to send us to the corner store to buy them, they would sell them to any age back then (I do think we needed a "note", I will have to check with her, if she remembers). :what:

I am the only one in the family who currently smokes. A few days ago everyone in the house woke up with a cold. I am the only one who has been unable to get out of bed with a fever, sore throat & coughing. I tried to quit once and was only successful in cutting down. I also have copd, diagnosed 70% lung function about 10 years ago, I haven't been back for a lung function test since then. My Dr. told me, if you can't quit at least cut down the best you can, this is not advice for everyone, just what my Dr. told me. I still have no desire to quit, although I would encourage everyone else to!!

My first multi-quote from learning at our WS seminar!
Pretty much the same with me as I sit here smoking.

My doctor gave me Wellbutrin to try a few years ago. My husband said he wanted to go with me to my next visit because I seemed a little stressed out. I told him and my doctor that I was fine...just get out of my way and don't piss me off. Needless to say that was not the drug for me.

Well, two of you stated problems, and one was like me where the other doctor thought I had bipolar, and even prescribed a drug for such when I think I skeered her! I was really busy aat work, I sat in the exam room for an hour and I was standing behind the door when she finally walked in an I gave her a look that if looks could kill, she would have been dead! Off she goes back out to her office and came back in with a script for bipolar.

Needless to say, i never took them, and they went in the trash while I gave the remaing Chantix to a friend who was taking them.

Oh yeah, changed doctors immediately after that and no more "bipolar" moments! :woohoo:

Yes, I once had a doctor tell me the same thing. About five years ago, my doctor moved to another city and suddenly I had a new doctor. It took her about three years to actually read my file and find out I smoked, even though I had to go in to see her from time to time for the usual. In I went for an appointment and she read the riot act.

Sent me for a fancy lung test in a "bubble" at the hospital, blood tests, bone density, blah blah - and back I went to get my results. We went through everything - all good - except for the lung test. Then she moved on to another subject. Hey - how about my lung test? She sort of snarled at me and said it's above average to excellent but you are still too fat!:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

( I weigh 12.5 lbs more than I did 30 years ago) I'm pretty sure my file says "combative, uncooperative" and probably a bunch more!

I am definitely going to try those smokeless cigs one poster was mentioning - they may be just the thing for me.

To all you wonderful Websleuthers who are smoking and trying to quit, or just now quitting, I say: Good on you! And here's my cautionary tale:

I was a severely asthmatic child and yet started smoking at age 15 (yeah, I know...what a maroon). But I lurved my ciggies and smoked, off and on (mostly on) for 25 years, sometimes two packs a day.

Then I married a guy with a heart condition (not my current spousal unit; this was the previous model), and didn't think it was fair to subject him to second hand smoke. So I quit. Cold turkey. It was surprisingly easy for me, since I did it for L*O*V*E. (OK, so we ended up divorced after five years...but, happily, I never touched another coffin nail.)

Everything was going swimmingly until two years ago, when the asthma I thought I had outgrown at age 18 came back...with a roar. Now I am on a wickedly expensive steroid inhaler (we've discussed these asthma meds on this thread before) and will be on this and a couple of other fairly pricey meds for the rest of my life. And cigs played a large part in my current sorry state.

So, please, do your best to quit these nasty buggers. You don't realize how you miss easy breathing until you can no longer do it. I know.

My husband was a heavy smoker, one of those guys you can't imagine ever quitting. He went through a program at the V.A. that involved Wellbutrin and his moods were almost psychotic at times. However, he quit smoking and has never picked up one again. But it was too late. He is on oxygen 24 hours a day and struggles even while sleeping with every breath. If smokers could spend a day watching him persevere, you would never smoke again. He plans big projects, like making a playground for his grandchildren, that he can never physically do.I think his daydreams keep him going. When I see young people smoking, I have to restrain myself from telling his story. We have two grown children who don't smoke, and other than the girl experimenting when she was 14 or so, they've not been interested. That is a blessing. Good luck to all the quitters!

Chantix and Wellbutrin are the same medication! I used it and it made me over-active. A new doctor almost diagnosed me as bi-polar while I was using it. I quit and went back to normal. Dang, I had so much energy!

noooo not the same

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellbutrin[/ame]

chantix

(not being snarky! just if one doesnt work for someone there is the other that might help)

Good morning everyone :-) my daughter started smoking about a month ago, after not smoking for around 24 plus years. She says it helps with the stress, she's about 6 months into ending a 25 year very abusive marriage. I wish I knew how to get her to stop. She stopped before because she was with child, no chance of that happening this time LOL Well I have some catching up to do with reading :-) bbl

To all you wonderful Websleuthers who are smoking and trying to quit, or just now quitting, I say: Good on you! And here's my cautionary tale:

I was a severely asthmatic child and yet started smoking at age 15 (yeah, I know...what a maroon). But I lurved my ciggies and smoked, off and on (mostly on) for 25 years, sometimes two packs a day.

Then I married a guy with a heart condition (not my current spousal unit; this was the previous model), and didn't think it was fair to subject him to second hand smoke. So I quit. Cold turkey. It was surprisingly easy for me, since I did it for L*O*V*E. (OK, so we ended up divorced after five years...but, happily, I never touched another coffin nail.)

Everything was going swimmingly until two years ago, when the asthma I thought I had outgrown at age 18 came back...with a roar. Now I am on a wickedly expensive steroid inhaler (we've discussed these asthma meds on this thread before) and will be on this and a couple of other fairly pricey meds for the rest of my life. And cigs played a large part in my current sorry state.

So, please, do your best to quit these nasty buggers. You don't realize how you miss easy breathing until you can no longer do it. I know.

The bad news is, Jane The Dood, if you lived in Canada and have asthma, you would also be on a pretty strict exercise regime. I also have a friend who has pretty severe cyctic fibrosis - the kind that requires handfuls of meds and the breathing/coughing thingy three times a day. The answer for her is the same thing. She runs on a treadmill for an hour every morning.:what: Claims it has extended her life. She also has a wet suit and swims in the ocean a couple of times a week. Her doctor says the salt water air clears her lungs quite a bit.

Interesting, eh?

Good morning everyone :-) my daughter started smoking about a month ago, after not smoking for around 24 plus years. She says it helps with the stress, she's about 6 months into ending a 25 year very abusive marriage. I wish I knew how to get her to stop. She stopped before because she was with child, no chance of that happening this time LOL Well I have some catching up to do with reading :-) bbl

Grammieto5, she sounds very brave and is probably facing many challenges in her new life. Maybe smoking right now is the least of her problems and she can address it when her life is on a steady keel?

noooo not the same

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellbutrin

chantix

(not being snarky! just if one doesnt work for someone there is the other that might help)

Both of those thumbnails came up for me as being about Wellbutrin. I may just be being "slow" today, but I am adding a Champix url. as it is called in Canada. Chantix in the States...

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champix[/ame]

Both the Anhony's acted like maroons in their M&M depositions. I would think they want a do-over so that what is shown in court WON'T be those original depositions. Since then, S. Zimmerman has been charged with perjury in her husband's case. They must be very afraid that this could happen to them. They need to fess up to the truth.

They both helped to save their daughter from the death penalty big time. Now, they need to do the right thing or they will do more time than CA ever did. JMHO!

LOl now wouldn't that be something! I for one would love to see that!

Good luck to all of you who are quitting smoking. What helped me the most was Allen Carr's audiobook, Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I went to sleep listening to this every night for about a month. He will debunk every excuse you have for smoking, trust me.

The bad news is, Jane The Dood, if you lived in Canada and have asthma, you would also be on a pretty strict exercise regime. I also have a friend who has pretty severe cyctic fibrosis - the kind that requires handfuls of meds and the breathing/coughing thingy three times a day. The answer for her is the same thing. She runs on a treadmill for an hour every morning.:what: Claims it has extended her life. She also has a wet suit and swims in the ocean a couple of times a week. Her doctor says the salt water air clears her lungs quite a bit.

Interesting, eh?

Interesting, yes! I have an exercise bike at home but it's a pretty tame workout compared to your friend's. Used to belong to a gym and would walk on the treadmill for an hour at a time; when my membership ran out I then bought a used machine ($20! vintage, but worked great) for home and trudged on that regularly for quite awhile until I burned out the motor! So now I have the exercycle; no electricity required.

Supposedly people who live near the coastlines do better with asthma and respiratory problems in general because there's not as much pollen, thanks to the breeze. But I grew up next to the Gulf of Mexico and still had asthma.

Anyway, lg, I applaud your friend for tackling her problems head-on. Cystic fibrosis; boy, that is a tough row to hoe. Now I feel like a crybaby!

Interesting, yes! I have an exercise bike at home but it's a pretty tame workout compared to your friend's. Used to belong to a gym and would walk on the treadmill for an hour at a time; when my membership ran out I then bought a used machine ($20! vintage, but worked great) for home and trudged on that regularly for quite awhile until I burned out the motor! So now I have the exercycle; no electricity required.

Supposedly people who live near the coastlines do better with asthma and respiratory problems in general because there's not as much pollen, thanks to the breeze. But I grew up next to the Gulf of Mexico and still had asthma.

Anyway, lg, I applaud your friend for tackling her problems head-on. Cystic fibrosis; boy, that is a tough row to hoe. Now I feel like a crybaby!

Don't feel badly jane the dood - you've done very well and the concept of exercising for people who can't breathe does sound pretty bizzare but apparently it does help. This young woman is a star - has had CF since childhood, got diabetes at 20, is a nurse working with cf kids, is married, and what she wants most is to live. And by that I mean stay alive. The drugs she takes lowers her resistance to germs so she frequently gets sick and lands up in the hospital for a couple of weeks, then goes home and starts all over again. She is one of the most magnificent people I have ever met - she has more bravery in her thumb than I have in my entire body.

Don't feel badly jane the dood - you've done very well and the concept of exercising for people who can't breathe does sound pretty bizzare but apparently it does help. This young woman is a star - has had CF since childhood, got diabetes at 20, is a nurse working with cf kids, is married, and what she wants most is to live. And by that I mean stay alive. The drugs she takes lowers her resistance to germs so she frequently gets sick and lands up in the hospital for a couple of weeks, then goes home and starts all over again. She is one of the most magnificent people I have ever met - she has more bravery in her thumb than I have in my entire body.

Your friend sounds like a truly amazing lady, lg. Whenever I feel inclined to sit on the pity pot, from now on I will think of this woman who handles her difficulties with such grace.

And, may I add, she has excellent taste in friends!
:seeya:

So I was thinking about the "what did Lee do" question that some people were discussing on this thread last week. I think the most likely answer is that, in the process of the "independent investigation" that he claimed to be doing, he impersonated a police officer or, at the very least, impersonated a licensed private investigator.

Remember Lee's attorney said some things he did "on behalf of law enforcement" might, in hindsight, have seemed like he was hindering the investigation? What else could that possibly mean? How could Lee possibly have been acting "on behalf of law enforcement"?? :waitasec:

Two other very fuzzy memories I have about this--maybe someone remembers better than I do:

1. Didn't Dom Casey send Lee an email at some point deputizing him as an official (unpaid) employee of DC's agency? Maybe Lee ran a little too far with that....

2. I seem to remember a witness interview (just a description in the LE report--not a witness who was important enough for a recorded, transcribed witness interview) in which the witness stated that he/she had already talked to a detective (or investigator??) about the matter. There was some detail provided that made me think at the time that the "detective" or "investigator" was Lee. I believe it was one of the "Caylee sighting" witnesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member