Sidebar Discussion #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Lord, would she have to testify????? "Ms. Anthony, have you ever told a lie? Ans: No." lol

Well, she could always answer, "Yes," followed by, "See, I'm not a liar."

Seriously though, if the appeal is claiming she was not properly Mirandized and there is any evidence that puts that into question, she might win a new trial. And I am not sure the state would retry, due to budget concerns. We all must brace ourselves here for the fact that she may slide on the only charges she was actually convicted of.

But take heart because, when all is said and done, it won't matter. Casey will have her comeuppance.

:
Originally Posted by chefmom
Any word on that new playground that was under construction for us? Last I heard it was a few days from launch, but I havent heard anything else. Anybody?

It will open within the next 48 hours. I PROMISE.

We were working non-stop on it and hoping to open it Sunday night when the devastating news on the Powell case broke. Mods have been working around the clock...literally.

Sorry for the delay.

New playground??? :waitasec:

:what: (had to try this guy out! LOL!)

What's THIS about, please?? :seeya:

Could it have anything to do with her ability to legally make money off her dead daughter, given that the lies were regarding her actions in the capital case?

I don't know if Son of Sam type laws would apply to the minor offenses when she was acquitted of the larger one, but also if she wants to fight her parents use of their copyrighting Caylee's name in the future would it help with that at all?

Additionally would it diminish her culpability in the civil suit with ZFG?

(I prolly should have put this in the legal thread AZ, but since you were discussing it here I just decided to post here)>

IIRC Florida's Son of Sam law applies only to felonies, and the only felonies of which she was convicted (the Amy check fraud counts) are not the crimes she is likely to make any money for writing/talking about. The Son of Sam law should not be any problem for her, with or without an appeal.

This whole "copyright"/"trademark" thing is just silliness. But if anyone has the legal right to use Caylee's name and image for commercial purposes (i.e., to make a profit), then it is Casey--regardless of the convictions, regardless of the appeal result, and regardless of whatever nonsense CA and GA think they have filed.

A successful appeal also would not change much in the civil case, except that her 5th Amendment protections would continue until after a retrial/dismissal. (And yes, there could be a retrial on the lying counts if the State of Florida felt like paying for it.) But taking the 5th in the civil case will only hurt her, because the jury will be allowed to assume that the answers would have been detrimental to her case.

The one other thing that would change is that Casey would be free to go back to the "I left Caylee with ZFG at Sawgrass" story, which she can't use right now in the ZG civil case because she was convicted beyond a reasonable doubt of lying about that issue. But I can't seriously imagine that her civil attorney is thinking of using that as the defense: "Casey didn't defame you, ZG. She accused another Z(F)G of taking Caylee, because she really DID leave Caylee at Sawgrass with that ZFG and ZFG took Caylee." I'm assuming the defense will be more like: "ZFG is an imaginary person, which you are not, so ZFG is not you. Plus there are dozens of ZGs so what makes you so special? Plus your life has only improved since 7/2008 so pfffft."

New playground??? :waitasec:

:what: (had to try this guy out! LOL!)

What's THIS about, please?? :seeya:

Trish and the other Mods are working on getting us a "place" where we can post about things and be a bit relaxed. Kinda like this place but not associated with a case. Just a "playground" for us. Should be nice!

Trish and the other Mods are working on getting us a "place" where we can post about things and be a bit relaxed. Kinda like this place but not associated with a case. Just a "playground" for us. Should be nice!

I, for one, CANNOT wait!!!!:rocker:

LOL - why do you think I am also lurking in here - sitting on hands and mumbling to self - I will not lose my temper, I will not lose my temper...:what:

BBM - That is exactly what they want. It's sport for some people. I say let her/him post to themselves. If no one takes the bait they'll move on.

IMO

lol - why do you think i am also lurking in here - sitting on hands and mumbling to self - i will not lose my temper, i will not lose my temper...:what:

internet gif.gif

We all have days this like, yes? Ah, life on the interwebs! lol

ITA

I never thought she was in danger when she got out of jail. The whole 'special' probation designed just for her is a total joke, especially since she has been releasing videos and pictures of herself. Probation could have been a good thing if she had been treated like every other felon.

However, ever look for a youtube video and get into something you never expected? Well, that happened to me the other day. Women had acid thrown into their faces. One was a beautiful model. Their faces literally melted off. Women were dowsed with gas then set on fire. A model was walking down the street in New York and some loon sliced her face up with a knife ending her modeling career. They were all disfigured for life.

I remember JA saying FCA might tick off the wrong person and they may take justice into their own hands. FCA is in control of her own fate now. She has been given a million and one chances to change but she refuses to do so. Florida has no duty to protect her. If she wants to continue releasing pictures and videos of herself she may attract someone just like her who doesn't give a hoot about human life. The pics/videos are just FCA's way of giving the Anthony salute because she got away with murder.

IMO

Hopefully Karma will find her in the form of someone with a lot of anger and some duct tape, who wants to make a name for himself...

Yes, I remember that, and then I read some comments that said because he "won" that's all that matters - but I don't think the majority of his peers or the population agree with that.

Actually, most of the defense bar embraced Baez and Mason as conquering heroes after the verdict.

As a matter of fact, several prominent Florida defense attorneys proposed having Jose Baez and Cheney Mason be the keynote speakers at the 50th Anniversary Meeting of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

Actually, most of the defense bar embraced Baez and Mason as conquering heroes after the verdict.

As a matter of fact, several prominent Florida defense attorneys proposed having Jose Baez and Cheney Mason be the keynote speakers at the 50th Anniversary Meeting of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

Wow. So many snarky comments I could make, but I just went to a meditation seminar...so I will breathe and release.

heh, I give them credit for pulling off a win after being dealt a straight flush with the Pinellas 12, but I cannot fathom the legal community viewing them as any sort of heroes. Seriously. They should be ashamed of their courtroom antics (and I am not talking about strategy here) and FGS, Mason flipping the bird to the cameras? I would think they would feel humiliated.

How wonderful. Looks like everybody wins.

Except for little Caylee, of course.

This infuriates me. After the terrible lack of class they displayed in the courtroom, let alone outside, why would any reputable attorney have any respect for any of them?

I haver never had a reason to find a defense attorney, and hopefully never will. If these clowns are an example of what the local defense attorneys see as heroes, I would have a hard time finding one that I could work with. I believe in truth and following the rules of fair play. I hope that I run across Baez and/or Mason one day just so I can tell them to their faces what I think of them and the games they played.

If I ever needed an attorney, it would be because I was charged for a crime I did not commit. I could not resort to a stage production in order to go free. In fact, if I was ever falsely accused of a crime, I think I would say no thanks to a jury and allow the judge to decide the case. I would think there would be a more straightforward approach with evidenced presented and less emotional testimony designed to evoke pity.

Before I go to bed I have to say this --

Richard, from your previous comments I'm not sure if you agree with your colleagues because I've never gotten the impression that you had much respect for Baez, in particular, and Mason, well....you never minced words about him either. However, I gotta say considering Baez & Mason as keynote speakers of the Silver Anniversary Meeting of the FACDL does not speak well of the Orlando legal community in any sort of professional sense. Frankly, it is concerning. And, professionally speaking, makes me sad.

I've been one of those darn lurking guests since the trial ended.

I noted the TES att'y requested a Special Master for TM's depo.
I didn't know what that was & found the below info:
Infrequently, attorneys taking a deposition in a distant, non-courthouse, location may anticipate that a witness will refuse to testify, or that some other problem will come up. For good cause shown, judges may appoint a Special Master to appear at the deposition to make evidentiary rulings on the spot.

Thought others may be interested as well.
Special Master = Shenanigan Preventer?
:innocent:
jmo

ITA with your definition. After seeing how ZG was treated in her deposition I am sure shenanigans is exactly what is expected. Of course I also feel that Tim would put any attorney that tried that with him in his place pretty darn fast. It could be some great entertainment. Picture TM going up against that twerp with little man syndrome. Green always seems like he is trying to one up everybody. I don't think green is representing her in the TES case.

This infuriates me. After the terrible lack of class they displayed in the courtroom, let alone outside, why would any reputable attorney have any respect for any of them?

I haver never had a reason to find a defense attorney, and hopefully never will. If these clowns are an example of what the local defense attorneys see as heroes, I would have a hard time finding one that I could work with. I believe in truth and following the rules of fair play. I hope that I run across Baez and/or Mason one day just so I can tell them to their faces what I think of them and the games they played.

If I ever needed an attorney, it would be because I was charged for a crime I did not commit. I could not resort to a stage production in order to go free. In fact, if I was ever falsely accused of a crime, I think I would say no thanks to a jury and allow the judge to decide the case. I would think there would be a more straightforward approach with evidenced presented and less emotional testimony designed to evoke pity.

I love your post.

I used to think the problem was all in the system--the wheeling and dealing and once in court being allowed to use lies and innuendo with nothing to back them up, etc.--but the system is not the entire problem by a longshot because it does not account for the lowly behavior of some of those in high places, i.e., defense attorneys who flip the bird with abandon at times when standing up straight and acting like an intelligent, respectful human being should act should be Priority One.

How one who himself does not respect others can garner even a sliver of respect from his peers is beyond me. In some ways, Mason is as immature as his client. Baez does not appear to me to have a lot going on upstairs but at least he seems to possess the mentality to know that rude, crude gestures to the public by way of the media are uncalled for. But that does not excuse his doing so in court, or encouraging his client to do so, not to mention his other courtroom shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid