Sidebar for Caylee Anthony's forum #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked in, my heart feels heavy and I teared up immediately upon reading all of this. This all hurts as much today as 4 years ago. Please, God.

(When JB's book came out, I always thought that the phrase "foolproof suffocation" just all of a sudden appeared. I wondered why we didn't really sleuth it and why we never heard of it before).
Wasn't the "foolproof suffocation" somehow linked to one of the searches?

I'm not arguing with you, I just have a question.

If a defense lawyer can deliberately withhold damning evidence from the prosecution, without causing a mistrial, then why don't all defense attorneys do that?

They do. They don't have the obligations that prosecutors do to disclose evidence. In Florida, the defense can "opt in" to a disclosure system that requires both the prosecution and the defense to disclose a little more than they would ordinarily have to, but even under that system, the defense doesn't have to disclose incriminating evidence to the prosecution.

Is there a link for the new thread?

Hi Steely!

We are staying on the Sidebar until the actual interview airs tomorrow night. Otherwise, at this rate, the actual news story would be buried on page 10 (20? 30?) by the time it airs.

Intermezzo has already generated a thread that only mods can see right now. We will unlock it tomorrow night for posting.

They do. They don't have the obligations that prosecutors do to disclose evidence. In Florida, the defense can "opt in" to a disclosure system that requires both the prosecution and the defense to disclose a little more than they would ordinarily have to, but even under that system, the defense doesn't have to disclose incriminating evidence to the prosecution.

That needs to change. I'm all for a fair defense, but defenses need to be made after ALL of the facts are heard. Is there a way to get that changed?

Oh No!!! You didn't!!! :floorlaugh:

We forgive you if you slide!!
:blowkiss:

----------------
LG, get yourself a pacifier to use in the house! just put it in your mouth,satisfies the urge to have something there. I took one from my Middleton dolls. IT WORKED!!!

----------------
LG, get yourself a pacifier to use in the house! just put it in your mouth,satisfies the urge to have something there. I took one from my Middleton dolls. IT WORKED!!!

Passing on the chance to make inappropriate joke. :innocent:

That needs to change. I'm all for a fair defense, but defenses need to be made after ALL of the facts are heard. Is there a way to get that changed?

No, it all goes back to the privilege against self-incrimination. You (and your lawyer) are allowed to keep secret the incriminating information about you. The prosecution has to prove its case without your help.

No, it all goes back to the privilege against self-incrimination. You (and your lawyer) are allowed to keep secret the incriminating information about you. The prosecution has to prove its case without your help.

I get the self incrimination part. Nobody should be compelled to testify against themselves. However, IMO, that shouldn't apply to the defense attorneys. I'd love to see someone pursue this to the Supreme Court. Depending on what the news is, this case might work. JMO

One more thing. Does the defense have to supply anything to the prosecution?

hey, I gotta give you guys major props! Y'all have this grapevine thing down damn good! I mean somebody emails, tweets, hollers and within 2 hours I see 30 posters I haven't seen in months! :highfive: We need to get in contact Expecting Unicorns too. If I don't see her appear soon I will try to contact her. I know she has family that is out of town and not sure of her holiday plans.

Also, I am SO PROUD of every single one of you! No one single PM asking me for a "hint" (ahem :rolleyes:) Thank you 1,000,000 time over! It'd be a waste of time for both of us anyway. Lips are sealed here. Admit it. You guys love the anticipation of surprises anyway. :angel:

Thanks...I thought the Caylee forum had disappeared.

I alerted Wonders also - she came in - went to the old place - thought the caylee thread had been taken off the board altogether and left.......still trying to get her attention again....:banghead:

hey, I gotta give you guys major props! Y'all have this grapevine thing down damn good! I mean somebody emails, tweets, hollers and within 2 hours I see 30 posters I haven't seen in months! :highfive: We need to get in contact Expecting Unicorns too. If I don't see her appear soon I will try to contact her. I know she has family that is out of town and not sure of her holiday plans.

Also, I am SO PROUD of every single one of you! No one single PM asking me for a "hint" (ahem :rolleyes:) Thank you 1,000,000 time over! It'd be a waste of time for both of us anyway. Lips are sealed here. Admit it. You guys love the anticipation of surprises anyway. :angel:

Not asking for a yay, nay or head-nod in either direction, but I'm 99.9% positive it has something to do with the works of our wonderful MM. ;)

I get the self incrimination part. Nobody should be compelled to testify against themselves. However, IMO, that shouldn't apply to the defense attorneys. I'd love to see someone pursue this to the Supreme Court. Depending on what the news is, this case might work. JMO

No, this is clear law already. If the defense attorneys could rat out the defendants, how would the defendants be able to trust and confide in their attorneys?

Personally, all the ethical quandaries would prevent me from doing criminal defense work except for someone I thought was innocent, but since I'm the only lawyer hanging out here at the moment I need to give you the "party line." ;)

One more thing. Does the defense have to supply anything to the prosecution?

Not much, unless the defendant "opts in" to a system like Florida has. Here's part of the Florida rule (3.220):

(d) Defendant’s Obligation.
(1) If a defendant elects to participate in discovery, either through filing the appropriate
notice or by participating in any discovery process, including the taking of a discovery deposition, the following disclosures shall be made:
(A) Within 15 days after receipt by the defendant of the Discovery Exhibit furnished
by the prosecutor pursuant to subdivision (b)(1)(A) of this rule, the defendant shall furnish to the prosecutor a written list of the names and addresses of all witnesses whom the defendant expects to call as witnesses at the trial or hearing. When the prosecutor subpoenas a witness whose name has been furnished by the defendant, except for trial subpoenas, the rules applicable to the taking of depositions shall apply.
(B) Within 15 days after receipt of the prosecutor’s Discovery Exhibit the defendant
shall serve a written Discovery Exhibit which shall disclose to and permit the prosecutor to inspect, copy, test, and photograph the following information and material that is in the defendant’s possession or control:
(i) the statement of any person listed in subdivision (d)(1)(A),
other than that of the defendant;
(ii) reports or statements of experts made in connection with the
particular case, including results of physical or mental examinations and of scientific tests, experiments, or comparisons; and
(iii) any tangible papers or objects that the defendant intends to use in the
hearing or trial.

What about additional - new charges? Like desecration of a corpse, or more lying to cops? Anything? Comeon' toss me a wishbone!
Still haven't gotten to the actual "breaking news" part of this, but could it be connected to jury selection?

SCALE FROM 1 TO 10.
1= NO BIGGIE, ONLY SOMETHING LIKE KC GAINED 70 POUNDS.
10= JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE AS IN THE 'INNOCENT BANDWAGON' PEOPLE WILL ALL GO INTO HIDING WITH HER.

WHERE DOES THIS RANK? (that is not asking for a clue, just a number!)

Hey - where's LambChop??? Anybody send up that bat alert for her??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper