Small Details that are interesting in the Cooper Harris case, #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if anyone, ever in the history of leaving your child alone all day in a hot car to die, has ever got in the car and drove away with the deceased child still unnoticed , even with the smell?

There was another child left in a car at dad's work and the dad drive to the child care to pick up his child who was dead in the back seat. It happens. How????

So 'mom' has a new job now, but her biggest concern is getting their death-mobile back from the County!? If they (JRH and his wife/accomplice) were so concerned about their car payments, maybe they shouldn't have used their car to kill their son! It's a crime scene, that's why she can't have it back! I can't believe her gall. :gaah:

"Meanwhile, Lawrence Zimmerman, the Atlanta attorney representing Leanna Harris, Justin’s wife, said she’s been visiting her husband and has found a job since her husband was put in the Cobb County jail June 18. Leanna Harris has a complaint against the county, Zimmerman said.

“(Leanna Harris) just received a notice to pay for the tag on the Hyundai Santa Fe that the Cobb County Police have in their possession. We are hoping that the District Attorney’s Office or the Cobb County Police can either reimburse my client the monies she is having to pay to the finance company on a monthly basis, or return the vehicle to her so she could sell it. It is unfortunate that she is continuing to have to pay for the car note when the District Attorney will not return it to her,” Zimmerman said."

Her attorney infuriates me. I cannot stand people who blatantly lie and manipulate situations the way he does.

I wonder if anyone, ever in the history of leaving your child alone all day in a hot car to die, has ever got in the car and drove away with the deceased child still unnoticed , even with the smell?

Yes, I know this has happened but I cannot cite sources. I was surprised because I didn't think it could be possible not to notice the smell! I think perhaps it's in cases where the temp is just high enough outside that the sun heats up the interior of the car enough to cause the child to overheat, but doesn't hasten the decomposition as much as poor little Cooper's was by the intense heat. Plus on those lower temp days people hop in and roll the windows right down which might dissipate some or all of the smell. JRH didn't even do that.

I find the media coverage of this case to be very interesting. I would say that the case really blew up after JRH’s bond hearing, and had about 1-2 weeks of intense national coverage. I remember going on CNN.com, and seeing multiple articles about this case at the same time, and many of them were commentary. I read many online comments saying that there would be books and movies made about this case. I think a lot of us thought this case was going to be the new Anthony case, and that would mean longevity in the media.

But after about two weeks, the case was pretty much dropped by the media. Nothing was happening, and no one was talking. I don’t think it is a mystery why the case left the spotlight. However, even later developments don’t seem to reignite the firestorm; perhaps the trial will.

I just find it interesting how so many of us were convinced that this was going to be a “case of the decade” after only a few days of national attention. I followed the Hannah Graham case, which probably got more coverage than Cooper’s case, yet I never saw anyone making the sort of grandiose predictions I saw for Cooper’s case. Why not?

It is almost a taboo subject. You are never going to see an article by the media discussing what happened with the case. Like I said before, it is not really a mystery why the case left the spotlight. But I would still find it compelling to hear about how big the media thought the case was going to be. How much coverage did they think they were going to get out of a case where the killer is sitting in jail, and the child is not missing? I wonder if the public jumped the gun, whereas the media never thought it was going to be a big story for more than a month.

Some of us find it fascinating (in a bad way) that an adult who is not drug addicted and not financially deprived is arrogant and self involved enough to kill a baby with malice aforethought. Thinking they can get by with it, too. Casey Anthony loved the news media to focus on her. Cared less about her baby. I don't think this couple expected any attention at all. CMA at least had some people thinking she was gorgeous but this couple not so much.

Some of us find it fascinating (in a bad way) that an adult who is not drug addicted and not financially deprived is arrogant and self involved enough to kill a baby with malice aforethought. Thinking they can get by with it, too. Casey Anthony loved the news media to focus on her. Cared less about her baby. I don't think this couple expected any attention at all. CMA at least had some people thinking she was gorgeous but this couple not so much.

Yes, I think they planned to kill Cooper in the manner they did, because they thought it would be seen as a accident, a local tragedy, like most of these hot car death cases. When the case did blow up, they were not expecting it. They are not going to talk to the media (Leanna has released a few statements, but no interviews) and are going to tell their family members to do the same. They are also not going to hire lawyers who are going to be all over the news. There are people like Casey and the Ramseys who likely killed their child, and end up loving the spotlight, but there are a lot of other likely guilty parents, who don't. I wonder what it is that makes some killers do the media rounds, while others avoid it? I guess it is just a personality difference. If you love attention before your child's death, you are going to soak up the spotlight, whereas if you have always been more quiet and in the background, you aren't going to making lots of media appearences. Someone like Leanna who is still "traumatized" over middle school is not going to take well to the entire country (~bullies) calling her a "murderer".

Yes, I think they planned to kill Cooper in the manner they did, because they thought it would be seen as a accident, a local tragedy, like most of these hot car death cases. When the case did blow up, they were not expecting it. They are not going to talk to the media (Leanna has released a few statements, but no interviews) and are going to tell their family members to do the same. They are also not going to hire lawyers who are going to be all over the news. There are people like Casey and the Ramseys who likely killed their child, and end up loving the spotlight, but there are a lot of other likely guilty parents, who don't. I wonder what it is that makes some killers do the media rounds, while others avoid it? I guess it is just a personality difference. If you love attention before your child's death, you are going to soak up the spotlight, whereas if you have always been more quiet and in the background, you aren't going to making lots of media appearences. Someone like Leanna who is still "traumatized" over middle school is not going to take well to the entire country (~bullies) calling her a "murderer".

I don't think this couple looked for the spotlight because they thought and wanted no attention. The more attention they get the more likely charges? CMA never seemed to worry about her charges nor does the murderer in my own personal situation. I think CMA thought all that attention would gain her cute little self sympathy and apparently she was right. I hope its not the case in my situation. Leanna and Ross don't fit cute or sexy so the media is not so interested. Not that I thought CMA cute or sexy. The murderer in my situation views himself as gorgeous and has his groupies. Thank God he doesn't have national media he would glory in it like CMA.

I find the media coverage of this case to be very interesting. I would say that the case really blew up after JRH’s bond hearing, and had about 1-2 weeks of intense national coverage. I remember going on CNN.com, and seeing multiple articles about this case at the same time, and many of them were commentary. I read many online comments saying that there would be books and movies made about this case. I think a lot of us thought this case was going to be the new Anthony case, and that would mean longevity in the media.

But after about two weeks, the case was pretty much dropped by the media. Nothing was happening, and no one was talking. I don’t think it is a mystery why the case left the spotlight. However, even later developments don’t seem to reignite the firestorm; perhaps the trial will.

I just find it interesting how so many of us were convinced that this was going to be a “case of the decade” after only a few days of national attention. I followed the Hannah Graham case, which probably got more coverage than Cooper’s case, yet I never saw anyone making the sort of grandiose predictions I saw for Cooper’s case. Why not?

It is almost a taboo subject. You are never going to see an article by the media discussing what happened with the case. Like I said before, it is not really a mystery why the case left the spotlight. But I would still find it compelling to hear about how big the media thought the case was going to be. How much coverage did they think they were going to get out of a case where the killer is sitting in jail, and the child is not missing? I wonder if the public jumped the gun, whereas the media never thought it was going to be a big story for more than a month.

I think it will be a huge story again once the trial starts and new info is available as evidence is presented. LH's lawyer is most definitely attention seeking and has made a couple of attempts to put her in the news which have backfired terribly.

With all the evidence sealed no one has any new info to share. It was different with CA because of the Sunshine Law in FL where every little detail was public knowledge. That plus Caylee was actually missing for several months kept things going in the media.

This case has a lot of potential for "scandal": the religious churchgoing guitar playing loving husband and father who is actually a sex addict involved with numerous women both online and in real life, including an underage girl...the "supportive wife" who has made it abundantly clear her man is far more important to her than her child was, and of course that darling little boy who we know had injuries from trying to scratch his own skin off while he suffered and died while dad was sexting, Google chatting with friends, going to lunch, making plans for a movie, and "forgetting" about dropping Cooper off at daycare.

It'll be big news again, I'm certain!

Jury trial call is Jan. 9th - is that jury selection?
Then it says Jury on Jan. 12th - is that the trial?
http://www.cobbsuperiorcourtclerk.org/courts/Criminal.htm

Here is a link to info I found:
http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-is-a-jury-trial-call-and-a-jury--1200300.html

It appears to basically be a scheduling conference in which they review cases that will be jury trials and find out the status of the case from the attorneys, if I'm understanding it correctly. A trial could potentially be scheduled if the attorneys are ready.

My guess is that Kilgore will go for a trial no later than March, or October or after in order to avoid having jurors that have to leave and get in a stifling hot car at the end of every day of the trial!!!

I think it will be a huge story again once the trial starts and new info is available as evidence is presented. LH's lawyer is most definitely attention seeking and has made a couple of attempts to put her in the news which have backfired terribly.

With all the evidence sealed no one has any new info to share. It was different with CA because of the Sunshine Law in FL where every little detail was public knowledge. That plus Caylee was actually missing for several months kept things going in the media.

This case has a lot of potential for "scandal": the religious churchgoing guitar playing loving husband and father who is actually a sex addict involved with numerous women both online and in real life, including an underage girl...the "supportive wife" who has made it abundantly clear her man is far more important to her than her child was, and of course that darling little boy who we know had injuries from trying to scratch his own skin off while he suffered and died while dad was sexting, Google chatting with friends, going to lunch, making plans for a movie, and "forgetting" about dropping Cooper off at daycare.

It'll be big news again, I'm certain!

IDK. I really wonder how much public interest there is going to be in a trial about the torture of a baby. When you get rid of the "His dad left him in a hot car" part, what else is there? Even the sexting is related to the hot car....and how does JRH being unattractive influence people's interest in that? Of course people are outraged and shocked by this case, but is it really one that is going to become a "soap opera" where millions are tuing in for hours every day? Outside of Leanna and Ross, what other interesting characters are there? And the only really interesting thing about them is "Why?" I don't know how much the general public wants to be reminded that a little boy tried to scratch his skin off. And there aren't many sideshows in this case to distract them from that information.

Interest in a case that just happened =/= interest in a trial

It seems like the people who really get into watching "big trials" are ultimately interested in seeing if the person responsible is brought to justice. Ultimately, torture of a baby was the essence of the CA trial. Sex was the essence of the JA trial. This case has the baby, AND sex, and religion thrown in to boot. Plus the "hidden psycho" aspect of JRH doing something no one who knew him would have thought him capable of.

People are fickle, though, so it may also depend on what other things are happening at the time of the trial. I think it'll be a big deal, but admit I could definitely be wrong.

Oh, and about JRH being unattractive, I think that may actually be a draw, because people are wondering how the heck this dude managed to be actively engaging in sexual activities of various kinds with multiple women! Especially when they knew he was married!

"Sex sells" but does it always sell at the same rate? JA and Travis were both pretty attractive adults living adult lives. JRH is an unattractive man sexting while his son dies a slow, tortous death.

I think that a lot of people thought Cooper's case would end as big as Caylee's case. I realize that Caylee was missing, and Florida has Sunshine Law, which makes it even more confusing why there seemed to be this prevelent belief that a case where the child was not missing and the father was arrested on the first day would have longevity in the media. This is the difference between the cases IMO:

It's July 2008 and you hear about a little girl who has been missing for 31 days, but it was just reported to LE. It immediately grabs your attention. In the days, weeks, months, and years that follow, the case becomes more and more complex. It is filled with crazy characters and sideshows. 31 days is just one component of the case.

In comparison to...

It's June/July 2014 and you hear about a little boy whose father is accused of leaving him in a hot car...intentionally. You are shocked and saddened by this. Then you hear about how the father was sexting at the same time his son was dying. If it didn't happen when Cooper was dying, no one would care, because Leanna is not a sympathetic figure. The mother makes an extremely pecuilar statement at the funeral, and you wonder if she could have something to do with it. However, she really stays out of the spotlight. There are some people who know the parents who talk to the media, but they don't say anything "sensational". Is a horrific death enough to hold the public's attention, when there are 1000+ children killed every day? I remember reading comments about Teghan Skiba's killer's trial, where the media would detail the torture before her murder, and the comments were "Stop talking about this". How much, and for how long, does the public want to hear about a little boy being tortured to death?

I see the difference as being...both cases had something that grabbed the media/public's attention when they first happened, but that Caylee's case ended up having a lot more to it than simply "31 days". The list of interesting/sensational factors is much longer. But in Coooper's case, most would come back to his father leaving him in the hot car.

Unfortunately a murderer's looks does, IMO, have something to do with the media attention and outcome of the trial. Look at all the sympathy JA gets because some people believe her "beautiful". JRH and Leanna are ordinary people in comparison. The sexual aspect will get some media attention though. Yes CMA had a lot more "interesting" details in her case.

The way I look at is...You don't have to actually be extremely attractive...the media just has to fool people into thinking you are. Casey Anthony would never get a modeling contract nor does she compare to movie stars. But she was young, liked to party, and wear revealing clothes...it's not hard for the media to portray her as "hot". With JRH, the media cannot make the public think he is attractive in any way.

Also I saw plenty of comments by men saying that she was hot....who finds JRH attractive?

The way I look at is...You don't have to actually be extremely attractive...the media just has to fool people into thinking you are. Casey Anthony would never get a modeling contract nor does she compare to movie stars. But she was young, liked to party, and wear revealing clothes...it's not hard for the media to portray her as "hot". With JRH, the media cannot make the public think he is attractive in any way.

Also I saw plenty of comments by men saying that she was hot....who finds JRH attractive?

Yeah Casey was rather ordinary, IMO. Like Jodi. But JRH or Leanna..uh, no way.

Funny JRH could remember he needed bulbs for a bathroom but forgot his strapped in son in a brief minute or two.

One thing that could “hurt” this case when it comes to being a highly-followed trial is there is not any disagreement among Americans over what happened. Everyone agrees that Ross is guilty, that he did it intentional, and that he is horrible, disgusting person, who needs to get life or DP. Sure, you might have a few people who think we need to wait for all the facts before judging, or maybe a smaller amount who think he is innocent, but the overwhelming vocal majority share the same view. There was a lot more disagreement about this case before the hearing. Is there any factor of this case where there is a huge range of opinions on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper