Some patients won't see nurses of different race

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think maybe we are headed off track a little bit...jmvho.

So there is lots of talk about the problems with "caucasians", are we to assume those attitudes only exist among whites? Or perhaps when other races display those same attitudes they are seen as admirable instead of horrible/evil?

Seems pretty obvious Drew-King Hospital was run by blacks primarily FOR blacks because they LIKED being treated by their own people. Is that wrong??? Or is that a beautiful sign of an evolved society when they prefer to be treated by people that "look like them"?

:goodpost: Well said.

When I lived in Iowa 15 years ago I got to know a doctor who told me straight out he wouldn't want to treat a black person.

So much for the doctor's oath...

Ethics aside, I don't think I want to be treated by a doctor who is such a poor scientist he can't see that all humans are more alike than different, physically.

So there is lots of talk about the problems with "caucasians", are we to assume those attitudes only exist among whites? Or perhaps when other races display those same attitudes they are seen as admirable instead of horrible/evil?

Seems pretty obvious Drew-King Hospital was run by blacks primarily FOR blacks because they LIKED being treated by their own people. Is that wrong??? Or is that a beautiful sign of an evolved society when they prefer to be treated by people that "look like them"?

No, Drew-King was founded to serve a community that had inferior healthcare. Unfortunately, it was badly run, so badly that regulators decided it was beyond redemption. And that's a shame (with plenty of blame to go around, in and outside the hospital administration).

But the woman quoted in your citation merely said she was inspired by seeing black healthcare professionals. She said nothing about refusing treatment by white people. Let's not create a false equivalence.

Seems pretty obvious Drew-King Hospital was run by blacks primarily FOR blacks because they LIKED being treated by their own people.

Er ... the article you quote says Drew-King was founded in 1965, at a time when African-American doctors and nurses found it difficult if not impossible to get work in white-run hospitals -- and African-American patients found it difficult if not impossible to get good treatment. De jure segregation had only ended in the previous decade, and de facto segregation was still rampant. To imply "reverse racism" in the founding of such institutions is to ignore the context in which they were founded.

Wow and I never thought about being able to refuse a nurse cause of anything. Hmmm.
Well, I was ready to slap my Labor & Delivery nurse when she commanded me to stop panting, but they saw that and got her out of there quick and gave me a much better, calmer nurse. Race had nothing to do with it.

I spent years as a caseworker for Social Services. Many times I had clients ask for a specific race or nationality as their worker. I was astounded how many black people didn't want me handling their case because I was white. Often it developed that it was because I was a white MALE which comes with a lot of baggage when you're dealing with someone who grew up in say, Alabama and is in their 80's. I usually just figured it was their issue and not personal. It still hurts sometimes..

I spent years as a caseworker for Social Services. Many times I had clients ask for a specific race or nationality as their worker. I was astounded how many black people didn't want me handling their case because I was white. Often it developed that it was because I was a white MALE which comes with a lot of baggage when you're dealing with someone who grew up in say, Alabama and is in their 80's. I usually just figured it was their issue and not personal. It still hurts sometimes..

Actually, most of the 80 year old black patients I took care of when I worked on the renal unit were the sweetest, kindest people. Oh, how I miss them at times! It was patients in their 40's and below that were routinely racist and rude. Some people would completely ignore my presence in the room, or talk about me like I wasn't there. But maybe I just assumed it was because I was white and it was really some other reason? I never had anyone refuse me because I was white. That I know of, that is. It has been my experience, here in Alabama, that this seems to be the case outside of the hospital as well. However, I don't want to generalize people. Ninety percent or better of people I know and love here don't treat me any differently, no matter their race. We are always the first people called out when it comes to racial matters, but in reality, there is racism everywhere, towards all colors of people. I may be naive, but I will continue to believe that for every racist idiot that I read about in the news, there are at least 200 loving people that I'm not hearing about.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizz28
Back