Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
News24 ‏@News24 1m1 minute ago

In last 2 clips shooter's hand & firearm in same position when firing shot. Judge asks to see 3rd clip again.

EWN Reporter ‏@ewnreporter 2m2 minutes ago

the third video shows the "shooter" fires from rear left, the woman tries to defend herself and is seen kicking her leg.

EWN Reporter ‏@ewnreporter 3m3 minutes ago
The witness says the difference between video 3 & 2 is the position of the woman's legs.

Witness says in all 3, purpose was to determine the trajectory, contact with firearm and deceased and position of deceased.

Leigh-Anne Jansen ‏@LA_JANSEN 3m3 minutes ago

Aim of tests-to determine trajectory, contact with the deceased and position of deceased

Findings: The most probable position of the shooter would have been from the front left of the vehicle.

Prosecution moves to primer residue issue. Primer residue was found on Qwabe's left glove

RAHIMA ESSOP ‏@rahimaessop 1m1 minute ago

Mopp asks if the person is wearing a left hand glove, and primer residue is found between thumb and pointing finger .

Leigh-Anne Jansen ‏@LA_JANSEN 2m2 minutes ago

PE: I'm not a primer residue expert. I can try to explain what happens when a shot is fired.

Mopp stops his line of questioning. Cross examination to resume after tea.

News24 ‏@News24 2m2 minutes ago
No more questions from prosecution. Cross-examination to continue after tea adjournment

Ruth Maclean ‏@ruthmaclean 3m3 minutes ago
Adrian Mopp described Engelbrecht as a primer residue expert, something he has just contradicted.

I don't know where they're going with this but maybe it's to show Qwabe's version is correct.

Short tea break :D

cup-of-tea2.jpg

Nashira Davids ‏@nashhannibal 2m2 minutes ago
This is because Dewani's lawyer brought into question who had actually shot Anni. The state seems adamant that it was Mngeni.

Roy McKenzie ‏@RoyMcK 8m8 minutes ago Cape Town
Ballistics expert says probable position of shooter from front seat - what Qwabe testified. Defence set to challenge this.

I wonder why defence is making an issue of this except to waste time?! :confused:

we're back after short adjournment. Cross examination begins.

The defence's Pieter Botha to cross examine Engelbrecht .

PB:Your function as an expert witness in this court( Botha cites case law)function to give benefit of their expertise

PE: The purpose of my evidence is to shed more light on the matter. PB: You have to remain objective & not biased

PE: The evidence I gave was given objectively

PB: You testified in Mngeni trial. Botha hands in Engelbrecht's ballistics report from Mngeni's trial 11/10/2012

PB: Why was it necessary to re-investigate the ballistics evidence?

News24 ‏@News24 3m3 minutes ago
Botha asks Engelbrecht if he understands what an expert witness is, and that he has to remain objective and not biased.

PE: Sgt Serfontein initially conducted the tests. He left SAPS & is working in America. Not sure when he left SA.

PE: Correct. PB: You did not do any other examinations at the time. PE: No

PB: When you testified during Mngeni trial in October 2012, let's see what knowledge you had & did not have.

PB: Were you present at the crime scene? (???)PE: No. PB: But you had access to the photographs. PE: Correct

PB: You had access to Dr. Verster's postmortem report PE: Correct. PB: And postmortem photographs?

PE: I had access to Sgt. Serfontein's photographs.

PB: After this time, very recently, you filed 2 further reports, not yet before the court.

PE: I do have the report with me.

Further 2 reports handed in. Dewani purses his lips as he receives a copy too, frowns as he reads it.

Ntuthuzelo Nene ‏@daniel_nene1 2m2 minutes ago

Engelbrecht admits he had access to crime scene evidence prior to Mngeni's trial. Engelbrecht also admits he had access to Sgt Serfontein's postmortem reports.

EWN Reporter ‏@ewnreporter 3m3 minutes ago
PB: you filed recently 2 further reports not handed to court. 1 dated in Sept 2014. PE: Yes I have the documents with me.

Physical matching not in dispute. Projectile examination summarized by Botha - that also not in dispute between State, defence.

PB: Is it still your view that the shot was fired from the front of the vehicle to the rear? PE: Yes, My Lady.

PB: Was the shooter in the left front seat? PE: The shot came from the front left to rear right.

(I can sense a trap by DT)

PE: I can't precisely place the firearm in the vehicle but the shooter, indeed, could make a contact shot....from front left to rear right. ((PB rephrases question))

Botha: Was shooter seated in left front? Engelbrecht: Not saying shooter sitting there, just bullet came from that direction.

PB: is it still your view the shot was fired from the front of the front of the vehicle 2 rear? PE: Yes my lady.

PB: I want us to look back at evidence given at Xolile Mgeni trial in 2012.

PB: Even during re-investigation this year, you still couldn't determine where the shooter was positioned? PE: Yes

PB: I take it that you testified that you knew Mr. Qwabe was alleging that the shot was fired by the late Mr. Mngeni? PE: Correct.

PB: And that the late Mr. Mngeni alleged that Mr. Qwabe fired the shot. ((Mopp asks PB to clarify))

PB: He said "the driver" fired the shot. PE: Yes

Engelbrecht testimony in Mngeni trial read by Botha: Testified it was difficult to say where shot fired from, dep on position.

PB: when you were called as a witness you knew there was a dispute about who fired the shot. PE: yes I did.

PB: How could you, as an expert, give your opinion of the position of the shooter, when you didn't have the facts?

PE: I could've misunderstood the question

I suppose it's par for the course to discredit all PT witnesses.

PB: How did you misunderstand the question that was posed to you? Please explain to us? PE: I can't explain that.

PB: No, Mr. Engelbrecht, it's not going to be that easy. You raised the impression. I'm going to insist on an answer.

Botha: You were not perhaps trying to mislead the court at the time? No, says Engelbrecht

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1000MoonsAgo