DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bumping.
Podcast: Episode 2 - The Disappearance of Marie Ostbo - True Crime South Africa

Case File #2: The Unsolved Disappearance of Marie Ostbo (
Part 3/4)

May 18 2019
marie-ostbo-pink-ladies.jpg

''The poster with the incorrect description of what Marie was last seen wearing.
Certain media outlets reported, in the early days of her disappearance, that Marie’s camera was missing from the scene as well. It was in fact found by the SAPS in her room at the backpackers.

Six days after Marie’s disappearance, on the 24th of April, the police announced that, due to restrained resources, they would need to scale down the size of the search. The search was eventually called off completely after no evidence of Marie’s location or fate had been discovered.

CCTV

CCTV footage from the area around where Marie disappeared was viewed by police. We know that Marie was seen walking out toward Myoli beach. Police also identified and interviewed a man walking his dog seen entering the beach path around that time as well as a fisherman and two men seen, on camera talking to Marie. The police claim that the latter have been interviewed and cleared as not being involved. It would be interesting to know what those two men discussed with Marie that night as it may give us more information about events or her state of mind. Locals are known for being very friendly so it does not strike me as strange that the men may have greeted and briefly chatted to a pretty, young girl on her own. Perhaps they asked her whether she was okay or needed directions. Perhaps they discussed the severe weather pulling in and warned Marie to be careful. The dog walker interests me, as we know Marie is a dog lover and I wonder whether she wouldn’t have tried to engage with him. It would be beneficial to understand the timelines of when these various people entered the beach path or encountered Marie as considering the beach is rather flat once you get on it, these individuals would have had to get onto the beach and a significant distance away in a relatively short space of time to have not seen what happened to Marie. Of course, I am sure that the police have already put all these pieces together in their investigation.''

Thanks dotr for the reminder that Marie is still missing. I will check out the podcast & blog you linked.

This beautiful young lady reminds me so much of my own adventurous daughter, who has backpacked alone, since she was 17/18 years old, making friends along the way.

A disappearance like this must be a parent’s worst nightmare

My heart goes out to her family & friends, and especially her parents who must be heartbroken.

Yes, I'm from Norway. A friend of the family has spoken about the case publicly and so has her father.
The news today is that she has gotten on INTERPOLs page of missing persons. Norwegian police are also considering starting investigations in South Africa.
https://www.interpol.int/notice/search/missing/2018-36511
The Norwegian press is also pressuring the police in South Africa.

No sign of missing student
The Interpol link is not available, did it move somewhere else or got changed?

'Hammer killer' and the missing girl

'HAMMER KILLER' AND THE MISSING GIRL
Marie Ostbo's father believes Sedge 'hammer-murder' accused may have been one of the last people to see her
Journalist Blake Linder | Thursday, 15 August 2019,
KNYSNA NEWS - The reported existence of footage taken shortly before the disappearance of Norwegian student Marie Ostbo, who went missing from Myoli Beach in Sedgefield 16 months ago, was denied by SA police this week.

Her father Atle Ostbo yesterday told Knysna-Plett Herald that imagery of a man and a dog was found on her cellphone taken shortly before she disappeared. CCTV footage and pictures taken by a Swiss couple depict the same imagery, he said.

Police have denied that such an image was on Ostbo's cellphone. Atle also believes that the dog owner on the footage could be Sean Kelly, the man accused of the hammer murder of Sedgefield resident Noreen Hampson earlier this year. Atle now plans to come to South Africa to investigate the anomalies.

Hoping they will be able to question SK about Marie, maybe tell him his dog and cat want the truth.rbbm.
Psych-treatment for hammer killer
10 May 2019

''Sean Kelly has been ordered to go for psychiatric evaluation by the Knysna Magistrate's Court.

KNYSNA NEWS - The alleged Sedgefield Hammer-killer has been ordered to go for psychiatric evaluation by the Knysna Magistrate's Court.

The 50-year-old Sean Kelly is charged with murdering Noreen Hampson,67, on Friday 2 February this year. She was bludgeoned to death in front of her house in Marigold Street, Sedgefield. Hampson died on the scene from injuries to her head. The murder weapon is believed to be a hammer.''

''During a lengthy address filled with seeming incoherencies, Kelly testified that he intends to plead not guilty and cited reasons to be released on bail. When mentioning one such a reason – a need to take care of his dog and cat – Kelly broke down in tears''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back