South Africa - Martin, 55, Theresa, 54, Rudi van Breda, 22, murdered, 26 Jan 2015 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woohoo! Thank you Tortoise.

Maybe my post was a bit too enthusiastic but I am really looking forward to seeing this guy getting his comeuppance. He continues to deny what is blindingly obvious. Surely he realises he will get life. He is supposed to be intelligent is he not? I hope there is no chance towards the end of the trial that he will suggest he was under the influence of alcohol or that he suffers from psychosis by claiming his past history of drug taking has damaged his brain. Somehow it seems a little late for that although I believe in SA one can claim manslaughter if one commits a murder whilst drunk or suffering from psychosis. Did we ever hear his drug and alcohol levels were totally normal?

See Mitigating Circumstances in the following link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder

Anyone think he could possibly claim this, given that he has shown no abnormal behaviour during the trial?

If I was Judge Desai I wouldn't accept such a defence. Based on the argument heard before midnight, and then the plan he devised to deal with three mobile family members, followed by the thought he put into harming himself, showering, his phone activity and planning his detailed story ready for police that same morning, I believe he was fully aware of his actions. I also don't think he will admit his guilt. He's managed to last over two years without remorse.

Maybe my post was a bit too enthusiastic but I am really looking forward to seeing this guy getting his comeuppance. He continues to deny what is blindingly obvious. Surely he realises he will get life. He is supposed to be intelligent is he not? I hope there is no chance towards the end of the trial that he will suggest he was under the influence of alcohol or that he suffers from psychosis by claiming his past history of drug taking has damaged his brain. Somehow it seems a little late for that although I believe in SA one can claim manslaughter if one commits a murder whilst drunk or suffering from psychosis. Did we ever hear his drug and alcohol levels were totally normal?

See Mitigating Circumstances in the following link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder

Anyone think he could possibly claim this, given that he has shown no abnormal behaviour during the trial?

I hope this won't happen but probably not for want of trying by his defence when all else fails.
If only it were revealed the reasons for HvB's parents requesting the head scan in Australia, but if it were allowed in, it could work in his favour.

Did he display illogical or inappropriate thinking/actions? Did he have rages over minor hiccups? Was he feigning deafness or muteness, unable to be reached or hold a civil discussion?
I have 3 children and I'd only request a brain scan if one of them behaved abnormally and no explanation can be found.

Hi Prime. I don't think I would be concerned about a miscarriage of justice if it were not for the fact that SA Justice seems, on occasion, to leave a lot to be desired. After the Pistorius case I have come to believe that one can get away with murder in SA. I am hoping Desai would not entertain a late plea change but if there is evidence of mental illness or brain abnormality anywhere in HvB's history I wouldn't put it past his DT raising it at the last minute even though no mention of any mental illness has, during the case, been raised.

I am looking forward to next week and am hoping the PT have got this case sewn up.

Attention. Only one week's holiday left. Court is back on Monday August 7th, running until August 24th.

But will it be enough time? We all know Botha will do whatever it takes to slow it down. I fear the worst.

Welcome back everyone. This should be an interesting week.

Julian Jansen‏ @JulianJansen · 24m24 minutes ago

Lt.col. Sharlene Otto to take witness stand on DNA found on murder scene

attachment.php

https://twitter.com/JulianJansen

Attachments

• Sharlene Otto.jpg
    Sharlene Otto.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 62
The blood on HvB’s pyjama pants, T-shirt and elsewhere in the home could help solve the mystery surrounding the axe murders of the family.

The State's forensic evidence includes the long grey pyjama pants which HvB said in his statement he'd worn on the night of the murders. The police had kept the pants because they seemingly had blood on them. The evidence included black women's panties which possibly also had blood on them.

Independent experts spoken to by Netwerk24 said the State and Henri's version of what happened would depend on the testimony of blood spatter experts particularly.

Capt. Joubert of the police's forensic laboratory, who also testified in the OP trial, will probably be called to testify.

Wes van der Westhuizen of Wesco of Forensic Services, who helped analyse the blood spatter patterns in the OP case, said, "Blood spatter patterns and DNA will find the accused in the axe murders guilty or acquit him. The victims all had head wounds, so there was a lot of blood. The attacker would obviously also have been full of blood and if he had walked around in the house, there would have been blood dripping from the murder weapon."

He also said it is probably possible to determine where the attacker had stood, how the blood had got on the grey pants and where blood might possibly have been washed off in the house.

According to the State's list of evidence a mop and nine dishcloths were analysed, although there hadn't been obvious blood stains on them. There was, however, blood in the corner of the shower and on a towel.

The State alleges that HvB tampered with the scene after the murders.

Another independent expert said if there was DNA from Marli on the clothes HvB was wearing that night, it would raise many questions. "Nowhere in his statement did the accused say that he tried to help the victims or that he touched them."

The experts say Henri's explanations can in all probability be tested with the forensic evidence.

Defence witnesses will include Dr Reggie Perumal, Pathologist, Cobus Steyl, a ballistics expert who can testify about the projection of the axe which allegedly was thrown, and Dr Mike du Trevou, a neurosurgeon who can testify about HvB’s injuries which apparently left him unconscious.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...reda-murder-mystery-experts-20170807#cxrecs_s

https://twitter.com/Traceyams

Today's witness, Otto, we understand she will be leading evidence for the state re DNA analysis.

https://twitter.com/TammyPetersen87

Henri #VanBreda's trial will be streamed on @News24, except witnesses who object to being recorded. Watch here:

[video=youtube;JG7elYkbH04]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7elYkbH04[/video] …

YAY!!! Thank you News24

I just saw a " mullet" are they popular now in S.A. .?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maym