South Africa - Susan Rohde, 47, murdered, Stellenbosch, 24 July 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand, is what is all the emphasis about whether or not the shoulder was exposed?

Thank you CindyDean for sharing your experience.

Regarding your question, the pathologist for the state noted abrasions on Susan’s body that were consistent with dragging.

The handyman who was called to open the bathroom door testified that the victim was laying on the floor naked, while Jason instists that she had a gown on.

Thank you CindyDean for sharing your experience.

Regarding your question, the pathologist for the state noted abrasions on Susan’s body that were consistent with dragging.

The handyman who was called to open the bathroom door testified that the victim was laying on the floor naked, while Jason instists that she had a gown on.
Thompson also recalled her being naked. (But the defence will argue he was an unreliable witness because he didn't recall seeing Susan's neckchain!)

Jason challenges or disagrees with or distracts from every question or statement, very few exceptions. To do this in a court makes me think he must have been difficult to live with, or to work with. I imagine it would have been impossible to have a meaningful conversation with him or to find compromises regarding daily life decisions. His manner is so consistent and domineering, narcissistic. It's painful to listen to.
I'm feeling that Susan was unusually persistent in pressurising him to talk about the situation truthfully. He couldn't cope with that and quite simply killed her.

Jason Rohde cross-examination will resume shortly. The State prepares Susan Rohde's robe to be presented as evidence.

Van Niekerk questions Rohde about his wife's appearance, the night before she died. Van Niekerk notes that eye make-up was still found on her body. Removing her makeup before going to bed is part of her beauty regimen. Why would she deviate from her routine?

Van Niekerk then questions Rohde about the injuries she sustained after she fell on her way from Alterskye's room. She had grazes on her toe and eyebrow. Blood spatter was found on the bed. Van Niekerk: Why didn't she tend to it before getting into bed?

Rohde's blood was also found on the bed. Van Niekerk asks if he can recall bleeding in the room. Rohde says he can't recall and that the blood splatter was minimal.

Team News24 (@TeamNews24) | Twitter

Van Niekerk asks if this is how the Spier robe looked on Susan's body. Judge Salie-Hlophe notes that the robe exposes the body without the assistance of a belt. Rohde can't comment on the belt.

Van Niekerk takes Rohde through the moments before he found Susan's body. Rohde says he kicked and used his shoulder to open the bathroom door but says "it didn't budge an inch".

Van Niekerk asks whether he checked the lock. Rohde says it didn't cross his mind to use a teaspoon, he's never been in this position before. "I'm sorry, but that's the truth," he says.

Van Niekerk says he finds it hard to believe that Rohde didn't check the lock, given that he has teenage daughters. Rohde says this has never been the case with his daughters as there are no keys in his home bathroom.

Reactions: Hag
Van Niekerk asks whether Rohde tried the bathroom door handle. Rohde responds: "Of course, how would I have known the door was locked?"

Van Niekerk asks if Rohde was worried when he couldn't open the door. Rohde says he had "an uneasy feeling". Van Niekerk asks why he didn't convey that concern to reception when he made the call for a handyman.
Rohde: I never dreamed that Susan would kill herself.

Van Niekerk asks about Susan's fitness. Rohde says Susan was a runner. Van Niekerk says that given that Susan is a runner, it is unlikely that she would've tripped on her way from Alterskye's room

Van Niekerk says that based on the facts, they didn't sleep that night. They continued arguing and Rohde just wanted her to shut up. He says the only way he could get her to shut up is to smother her with a cushion. Rohde: With all my faults, I'm not a murderer.

We've heard this before. Very well rehearsed.

Van Niekerk puts it to Rohde that he staged Susan's suicide when he realised she was lifeless.

Van Niekerk concludes cross-examination. Rohde's lawyer Adv Van der Spuy requests a short recess before re-examination. Proceedings will resume in 15 minutes.

Good morning all,

I've been away for a couple of days - went to see Rolling Stones in concert - totally brilliant!

As always thanks for the updates - jail beckons for Mr Arrogant I hope!

Good morning all,

I've been away for a couple of days - went to see Rolling Stones in concert - totally brilliant!

As always thanks for the updates - jail beckons for Mr Arrogant I hope!

Hi Lou. Don't forget that Henri's sentencing hearing starts in 13 minutes. It may well go for 2 days.

I'll post here when I get the time.

So frustrating there was no live feed today... Dr. Perumal's testimony is going to be crucial.

Highlight of the day
Judge Salie-Hlophe: you describe the altercation as a wrestling match, at what point was there a cease-fire?
Rohde: when we got back into the room. I was exhausted.@TeamNews24

What I think happened after they got back in their room: Jason - the CEO - was humiliated in front of Jolene and his colleagues. He got tired of fighting and of her constant nagging. He had had enough, he was exhausted. He just wanted her to shut up, to leave him alone, so he put a pillow over her head. In the heat of the moment he lost control, (he is a very strong man after all) went a step further than planned, and strangled her.

Van der Spuy says he has no re-examination.

Judge Salie-Hlophe: you describe the altercation as a wrestling match, at what point was there a cease-fire? Rohde: when we got back into the room. I was exhausted.

Salie-Hlophe: You didn't use the word "get divorced" when you told Susan you would sort things out in Johannesburg? Rohde: I meant get divorced.

Rohde says he doesn't know what Susan read into that. Rohde: She just came to the realisation that even after our marriage counselling, I was deceitful.

Rohde says his relationship with Jolene Alterskye ended after Susan died. It was a mutual decision to end the relationship under these circumstances.

Salie-Hlophe asks what part of Susan's feet he saw when he entered the bathroom Rohde says they were flat and pointed. They was a 10cm distance between her feet.

Rohde says he could see the feet protruding past the door frame. He didn't have to look behind the door to see the feet.

Salie-Hlophe asks Rohde what Daniels saw in the bathroom. Rohde says he recalls Daniels standing on his left. I picked Susan up and her face was towards me. I recall him being on her left-hand side. Her head was on my chest.

Rohde is excused from the stand. Van der Spuy now calls pathologist Dr Reggie Perumal as a witness.

Perumal obtained his MBChB from the University of KZN in 1981 and his Masters in forensic medicine in 1989. In 2016 he was appointed as head of forensic services at the Dept of Health in Mpumalanga. He has performed over 10 000 autopsies.

Perumal was the first forensic pathologist to go into the private sector. He is considered an expert at second autopsies.

Perumal says second autopsies have a number of challenges. Firstly, the 2nd autopsy won't reflect the original composition of the organs. Secondly, once organs are dissected, they are difficult to reconstruct.

Perumal was also an expert witness in the Oscar Pistorius case. He assisted with Reeva Steenkamp's autopsy.

Perumal also conducted autopsies on the miners who were killed in the Marikana Massacre in 2012.

The pathologist also interpreted scientific evidence in 5 areas in the Henri van Breda case.

Perumal says his role is to assist the court, not to act as an advocate for a particular party.

Court is adjourned until 09:30 on Wednesday.

Salie-Hlophe asks what part of Susan's feet he saw when he entered the bathroom Rohde says they were flat and pointed. They was a 10cm distance between her feet.

What a strange thing to recall. If I saw someone who appeared to have committed suicide by hanging, the distance between the feet would be the last thing I'd recall.

snooze-boat-smiley.gif
See you all tomorrow

Jason Rohde's lies and deceit

- He lied to his wife that he had ended affair with Jolene
- He lied to the marriage counsellor that he wanted to reconcile with his wife and did not want to get divorced
- Although one of his daughters became aware of his affair and discussed the matter with her mother, she was under the impression that the affair had ended

There is one aspect of his testimony that does feel very real, and that is his complete lack of love for Susan. It fits with his version too, so he has no reason to lie about it, but the danger is it also fits with the State's case.

His testimony about the last time he saw Susan alive, standing at the foot of the bed after him saying he was 'done' and before he says he went back to sleep, and not being able to remember Susan's words sounds like a lie. I think if you had woken up an hour later and then discovered your wife had committed suicide you would force yourself to remember at that point what they had said only an hour ago. It was their last words, so there would be a point to backtrack over what they said and if there was any indication they were going to go and do that. This is something that feels very off and adds more weight to it being a lie.

I don't think Perumal is going to save JR's bacon. There is no explaining the broken ribs with the ingested blood in her intestine, less than an hour before her death. JR has restricted her time of death with those texts from Susan sent after 7am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay