Spain Spain - Ana Knezevich, 40, from Florida, going through divorce, missing under suspicious circumstances on trip to Madrid, 5 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
News articles state that she is a realtor, but Ana's LinkedIn description doesn't indicate that.

Who knew her address in Spain? How would the estranged husband have got that information?

Her brother mentioned that her text messages to him in Spanish read like they had been Google translated from another language. Ana's husband allegedly doesn't speak Spanish.

On Saturday one friend received a message from her phone in English and another friend the same message in Spanish:

"I met someone wonderfull! He has a summer house about two hours from Madrid. We are going there now and I will spend a few days there. Signal is spotty. I'll call you when I get back"

"Conocí a una persona muy chévere. Tiene una casa de recreo a unas dos horas de Madrid. Ahora nos vamos y pasaré unos días allí. Aunque apenas hay señal. Te marco cuando vuelva"

The police initially did not investigate the spray painting incident because no robbery has been reported in the building. Upon entry, her apartment was found in slight disarray, but nothing abnormal was detected.

las-camaras-de-seguridad-de-su-domicilio-tapadas-con-spray_1159.jpg

This doesn't sound good at all.
The spray painting of the camera, the "deflecting" messages, no contact....

Reminds me a bit of the Elnaz Hajtamiri case.

They don't have children do they?
Life insurance?
Is "fled" a word that investigators used re: the husband?

Her best friend SR was interviewed for Serbian media. Ana's husband told her that he was in contact with Ana on the day she disappeared. They were still on speaking terms. When he talked to Ana's friend, he was in Florida, but later left for Serbia. According to the friend, there was no history of domestic violence in the marriage.

The couple were seemingly not in financial difficulties either. According to Serbian media, they owned nine properties in Florida, four of which were sold with a profit in the last couple of months (after the decision to divorce). They also purportedly earned millions each year from husband's IT company.

Detectives have not named David Knezevich a suspect or a person of interest, but they want to talk to him and haven’t been able to reach him.

In the Serbian media interview it is stated that (according to the friend) the husband talked to the Spanish police. It's unclear which is true.

She has been living in Madrid for a couple of months, so it's not as if she was on a quick vacation there.

MOO someone hired a guy to do this. MOO he is local to Madrid and so speaks a different Spanish dialect than she does (she is from Latin America).

She is going through a tough divorce.... MOO etc.
There is hardly any difference between Spanish as spoken in Spain and Latin American Spanish, they are the same language (like English as spoken in England and how is spoken in Australia)

There is hardly any difference between Spanish as spoken in Spain and Latin American Spanish, they are the same language (like English as spoken in England and how is spoken in Australia)
Sorry, but you are wrong! There are differences and the main one can be the vocabulary! This may be the first thing the brother identified!

Of course this does not mean a latin amercan would have trouble understanding spanish people and vice versa. Same language but with their differences.

The couple were seemingly not in financial difficulties either. According to Serbian media, they owned nine properties in Florida, four of which were sold with a profit in the last couple of months (after the decision to divorce). They also purportedly earned millions each year from husband's IT company.

9 properties, 4 sold, and very high earners.
I would expect that this couple have connections in similarly wealthy circumstances.
Might there be a third party who would suffer from this couple's divorce, or how this couple deal with the financial aspects of a divorce?
When there's a lot of money involved, "tensions" can be high. Business dealings that can go south? Revenge ?

Just a consideration.

I took a brief look at his IT company yesterday and IIRC he posted that, since the pandemic, staff had been working remotely and I guess he could continue to do that from Serbia.
( I only had a cursory look at the website, so would need to double check)

I also wonder when the sec cameras went up at their Fort Lauderdale home? Very recently? ( Entin's quote suggests it was while the couple was still cohabiting)

I hope that the couple hadn't already had issues with trespassers tampering with their home security and fear wasn't also part of the reason that both had left the US
NewsNation's Brian Entin reported that neighbors of Ana and her husband in Fort Lauderdale said David spent a lot of time paying attention to the security cameras in their home.

Last edited:
According to Ana's brother, her husband first traveled to Serbia on Jan 17, but must have returned to Florida, since on Jan 25 he reported a theft of gear worth $6k from his Mercedes. On that day he met with police. When the brother contacted the husband on Feb 6, the latter only replied that Ana was missing. The police went to the couple's Florida home on Feb 7. Nobody was home and Amazon packages were piled outside.

Money was an issue in the divorce:
“Ana and David are going through a nasty divorce and there is a substantial amount of money on the line to be split up between the two,” her brother told police, according to the report, “and David is not happy about it.” He said she went to Spain for three months to “clear her head.”

It looks like Ana was the one who initiated it:
Knezevic had first started talking about separating over the summer, said Rameau, who supported her as she went through the turmoil of leaving her marriage.

Last edited:
Sorry, but you are wrong! There are differences and the main one can be the vocabulary! This may be the first thing the brother identified!

Of course this does not mean a latin amercan would have trouble understanding spanish people and vice versa. Same language but with their differences.
I am a native speaker of Spanish from South America and have no problem understanding Spanish as spoken from Spain and other countries, the vocabulary differences are based on regional changes eg: torta in Peru (where I am from) refers to cake, in Mexico torta is a sandwich but, as pointed out it is similar to differences between English speakers and don’t interfere in understanding each other
The differences can be subtle or obvious and would also include accent and speed, a madrileño would speak with a different speed an accent than an Andalusian

She disappeared on February 2 and, despite the fact that the alerts issued by the Missing Persons Association SOS and the National Center for Missing Persons (CNDES) have reached millions of people, no one has been able to provide a single clue about her whereabouts.
"We are very used to receiving calls and sifting through information, and it is curious that in this case, in which we will reach around three million people, we have not received any calls," he (association's president) explains in statements to EFE.

Hypothetically, if this was a murder for hire from abroad, would an assassin (a stranger to Ana) send messages from her phone purporting to be her?
On the face of it, I'd say no but ....if the crime commissioner paid extra for something elaborate, maybe it's plausible.
Arguably it buys some time and creates more confusion but the commissioner would surely have to tell the hitman what to text ( Texts included personal details which a stranger wouldn't know, such as ' yesterday after therapy.....')

Last edited:
On the face of it, I'd say no but ....if the crime commissioner paid extra for something elaborate, maybe it's plausible.
Arguably it buys some time and creates more confusion but the commissioner would surely have to tell the hitman what to text ( Texts included personal details which a stranger wouldn't know, such as ' yesterday after therapy.....')
Maybe the hitman was watching her go to and from therapy. In the Serbian news article, her friend "Sana" says she was seeing a psychologist.

Detectives have not named David Knezevich a suspect or a person of interest, but they want to talk to him and haven’t been able to reach him.

In the Serbian media interview it is stated that (according to the friend) the husband talked to the Spanish police. It's unclear which is true.
The Serbian article contradicts what her brother has said about the divorce.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back