Spain Spain - Ana Knezevich, 40, from Florida, going through divorce, missing under suspicious circumstances on trip to Madrid, 5 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IIRC, it was mentioned before that the husband has a dual citizenship (also nationality and citizenship aren't the same). He likely wasn't a US citizen at the time he got married at 22. He went to university in Europe.
I don't believe it has been confirmed. I can only find reports of his "multiple identities + passports."

Also, this article uses the phrase "David, of Serbian origin"

I assume the money's in his account. How long does it take for the state of Florida to freeze the funds from the sales? Does the state of Florida even do such a thing in cases like this? I also assume that criminals do not expect to get caught - if a crime was committed and Ana didn't disappear on her own, which in my opinion seems unlikely.

The money is likely in his account, or in a joint account which many couples have, but these two sound like they kept indpendent accounts, IMO.

Their bank accounts don't need to be frozen in advance of a divorce settlement. There are state records of real estate transactions/sales and they are easily obtained by the court during a divorce. So even if the proceeds from the sales disappeared before a final divorce settlement, David would owe her share of any court-ordered division of assets according to the court's determination. It's not something that he would be able to hide from the court as it divided up their assets.

IIRC, it was mentioned before that the husband has a dual citizenship (also nationality and citizenship aren't the same). He likely wasn't a US citizen at the time he got married at 22. He went to university in Europe.

His university is mentioned in LinkedIn, so I hope it is not sleuthing. It was in North Macedonia. Ana moved to the US earlier. She is a US citizen. This being said, in some fields it might be easy to get a green card, and after that, the process is rather straightforward.

I don't believe it has been confirmed. I can only find reports of his "multiple identities + passports."

Also, this article uses the phrase "David, of Serbian origin"

The Spanish press have mentioned him having both nationalities, I'm pretty sure. It was on TV, so I don't have it to hand -- apologies. But if had a US passport, that would explain entering / exiting the US as he pleased. A green card is possible too but, as someone who held one for a good while, you're still quite likely going to be subject to questions by the TSA. I'm assuming, having lived in the US for years, one would've taken the citizenship test etc.

"Assets" include property, but are broader than property when it comes to dividing assets in a divorce. Generally speaking, "assets” include bank accounts, cars, real estate, collectibles, jewelry, retirement accounts, pensions, etc.
The word I've seen in the Spanish press is patrimonio. This includes all material and immaterial assets (obviously property very much falls understand that). We don't know where they were with it exactly, despite the assertions of Mr. Padowitz, but it's quite possible one party had agreed to a sale handled by the other and the family simply didn't know about it. Alternatively, it didn't go down like this which would explain why the family are so concerned about it.

Can we try to imagine some scenarios?

Ana told her friend around 9:30 that she was going to bed early because she was tired. However, she was seen outside around 10:00 PM. At 11:30 PM she receives a message that is "seen as read." At 1:30 AM - her blinds are up and light is on.

What could possess Ana to go outside her apartment between 10PM and 1:30 AM? (on Saturday Feb 2nd)

[Did something trigger her to "need to take a walk" as the suspicious text messages stated?]
That day was slightly cloudy, temperatures between a pleasant 14C and 6C for the low. Nothing remarkable there. In summer months, Madrileños suffering the high temperatures in the day, will be inclined to go for late-night walks to get some air. We've spoken before about what a late-night culture the city has. So, getting out of the apartment to get some air is improbable, given she'd walked back from therapy. It's a short-term let, meaning smoking will almost certainly be forbidden in the flat. But let's assume she's not a smoker. What I'm left with: someone buzzed on her intercom. Or someone texts: "I'm close." She goes downstairs to wait?

Does this media outlet believe that David is not an American citizen, or is it just some kind of bias in the way they describe him?

They describe Ana as "a U.S. citizen born in Colombia" and they describe David as "a man of Serbian nationality." If David is a U.S. citizen, then wouldn't it be more accurate to say that she married "a U.S. citizen born in Serbia?"

From the article -

Ana María Knezevich Henao, 40, a U.S. citizen born in Colombia, was reportedly in the middle of a difficult divorce made more complicated by the lack of agreement with her ex and also by the large amount of money involved. The missing woman had moved from Colombia to Miami 18 years ago. Thirteen years ago she married a man of Serbian nationality named David Knezevich.

The way I understand it, Ana may have become naturalized US citizen a long time ago.

Now, if she were a US citizen when she met David, 12-13 years ago, and he came to the US from Serbia only shortly before he met and married her, it would sound like a US citizen born in Colombia marrying a man of Serbian nationality. It is not a bias, just an attempt to explain the situation in details.

The way I understand it, Ana may have become naturalized US citizen a long time ago.

Now, if she were a US citizen when she met David, 12-13 years ago, and he came to the US from Serbia only shortly before he met and married her, it would sound like a US citizen born in Colombia marrying a man of Serbian nationality. It is not a bias, just an attempt to explain the situation in details.
Yes, for sure. In short, they are both Americans. (At least, that's how I've been reading it this whole time).

Edit to add: El País is one of the finest newspapers on earth, imo. Of course, each writer or journalist is subject to their own judgements but this would be the last newspaper imaginable to me to write with any kind of bias or negativity based on someone's place of birth.

I have noticed that in the text message Ana left to her friend, she said “fingers crossed” about the apartment she saw. Yet in the conversation with her other friend, she said she didn’t like it. I might be unusually suspicious, but maybe something had happened that changed her mind?

Also, it would be important to know if she was dressed casually when standing outside at 10 pm, waiting for a delivery, for example, or did she look as if she were planning to have a nice evening?
Also, I don’t use WhatsApp that often, but can it tell the location of the place where it was used to send strange messages? Or where her phone was pinging when they were sent?

I have noticed that in the text message Ana left to her friend, she said “fingers crossed” about the apartment she saw. Yet in the conversation with her other friend, she said she didn’t like it. I might be unusually suspicious, but maybe something had happened that changed her mind?

Also, it would be important to know if she was dressed casually when standing outside at 10 pm, waiting for a delivery, for example, or did she look as if she were planning to have a nice evening?
Also, I don’t use WhatsApp that often, but can it tell the location of the place where it was used to send strange messages? Or where her phone was pinging when they were sent?
I think those might have been different apartments. In a voice message that was played on NewsNation she mentioned an apartment that she liked. That recording was made days before she disappeared.

The Spanish press have mentioned him having both nationalities, I'm pretty sure. It was on TV, so I don't have it to hand -- apologies. But if had a US passport, that would explain entering / exiting the US as he pleased. A green card is possible too but, as someone who held one for a good while, you're still quite likely going to be subject to questions by the TSA. I'm assuming, having lived in the US for years, one would've taken the citizenship test etc.

Agree, it is likely he became a U.S. citizen either through his work and the green card route, or he became a U.S. citizen by marriage if Ana was a U.S. citizen when they married.

Agree, it is likely he became a U.S. citizen either through his work and the green card route, or he became a U.S. citizen by marriage if Ana was a U.S. citizen when they married.

Even if Ana just had a green card at the time they married, it was a natural way to citizenship, and it would have made DK's case easier.

And, not to forget this option, that would have applied to both

Even if Ana just had a green card at the time they married, it was a natural way to citizenship, and it would have made DK's case easier.

And, not to forget this option, that would have applied to both

Yes, if Ana had permanent residency in the U.S. (green card), then her husband would also be eligible for permanent residency. And vice versa. Spouses are eligible for permanent residency/green card if their husband or wife is a green card holder. U.S. citizenship is not ncessary.

This article is behind a paywall for me. I'm posting the part that is visible. If it's as it appears to be, it is not good. It will most certainly be picked up by a different publication.

‘Biological remains’ were found in Madrid flat of missing US expat Ana Maria Knezevich, as sixth week of disappearance approaches
SOURCES close to the investigation into the disappearance on February 2 of US expat Ana Maria Knezevich say that they found 'biological remains' in her.

This article is behind a paywall for me. I'm posting the part that is visible. If it's as it appears to be, it is not good. It will most certainly be picked up by a different publication.

‘Biological remains’ were found in Madrid flat of missing US expat Ana Maria Knezevich, as sixth week of disappearance approaches
SOURCES close to the investigation into the disappearance on February 2 of US expat Ana Maria Knezevich say that they found 'biological remains' in her.
Snipped from the article below. Just a note to say that El Cierre Digital is an online newspaper run by Juan Luis Galiacho, one of Spain's most respected journalists -- known for his investigative work.

"SOURCES close to the investigation into the disappearance on February 2 of US expat Ana Maria Knezevich say that they found ‘biological remains’ in her Madrid apartment.

That’s according to a report in online daily El Cierre Digital, which explains that the authorities believe that she did not vanish voluntarily but that rather there was foul play involved.

“The forensic police found biological remains in Ana Maria’s apartment,” the same sources told the newspaper. “This only reaffirms the theory that has been maintained from day one that this was not a voluntary disappearance, but a forced disappearance.

“After such a long time without any news or a sighting, everything points to the clear and firm hypothesis that Ana Maria was the victim of a disappearance due to a criminal act,” they said.

The Spanish missing persons association SOS Desaparecidos has been working to locate Knezevich, who is 40 years old and has joint US and Colombian nationality.

According to El Cierre Digital, the president of the association, Joaquin Amills, is acting as Knezevich’s family spokesperson and will also be part of the private prosecution in the court case handling her disappearance.

“We know that a lot of resources have been deployed to discover what happened to Ana Maria and her current whereabouts,” Amills told the newspaper. “Both the family and SOS Desaparecidos have total confidence in the work being done by the Policia Nacional, who are working on the case to, at least, find out the truth about what happened in Ana Maria’s apartment on the night of February 2.”

Does anyone know what 'biological remains' means?
Maybe it's the translation.
It means remains literally but the context sounds closer to biological traces. Possible this could have been blood that was cleaned away making it invisible to the naked eye but not forensic techniques. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back