Found Deceased Spain - Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter into the places of pain,to share in brokenness, fear, confusion, and anguish.

Compassion challenges us to cry out with those in misery, to mourn with those who are lonely, to weep with those in tears.

Compassion requires us to be weak with the weak, vulnerable with the vulnerable, and powerless with the powerless.

Compassion means full immersion in the condition of being human

~ Henri Nouwen

He was going the wrong way?
So it seems.
Here is a description of the Juan López trail:
... this is not a trail for everyone. It’s a wild, unmarked, and unmaintained path, requiring constant use of GPS, although there are some rock towers placed by previous hikers that help with navigation. The route is challenging with steep and potentially vertigo-inducing sections, but doable for experienced hikers with a good fitness level. Wear sturdy hiking shoes and carry at least two to two-and-a-half liters of water. ... There is an unofficial parking spot at the trailhead for one or two cars.

To get back to his hotel, Jay would have had to walk all the way back (from the beach) the same way he had come.

MOD NOTE:

General fundraising discussion is not allowed. The ONLY part of a fundraiser account that is allowed for discussion is if there are previously unknown specifics/facts contained in the introduction (NOT COMMENTS) that relate directly to the case.

Speculation about why family members set up the account, the funds raised or what those funds may or may not be used for are off limits. Discuss the case, not the peripheral issues of fundraising.

To provide balance.... (edited to try to get the link to go live... You may need to copy/paste)

I'm glad there's been a bit of clarification on that. And perspective. And understanding that what might appear on the surface as someone milking a situation is not necessarily that, just possibly people, doubled over with grief, with no media awareness or understanding how words and motives can be twisted, speaking publicly without guile.

The media in all its forms needs to take a long hard look at itself before judgement in situations like this.

I do have a bit of an issue with the way public appeal fundraising seems to have become the default move though when things go wrong, particularly when abroad. It reflects a disturbing absence of personal responsibility.

Last edited:
I'm glad there's been a bit of clarification on that. And perspective. And understanding that what might appear on the surface as someone milking a situation is not necessarily that, just people, doubled over with grief, with no media awareness of training, speaking without guile. The media in all its forms needs to take a long hard look at itself.

I do have a bit of an issue with the way public appeal fundraising seems to have become the default move though when things go wrong, particularly when abroad. It reflects an absence of responsibility.
Was "go fund me" originally organised for natural disasters I wonder ,I have never looked it up how it started but will now .I fully agree with you on the onus of responsibility, and I'm sure a lot of well meaning family and friends have set one up to take the burden away from grieving families but it does seem to be the 'norm' for a lot of stuff now that in the past would have been paid weekly . While trying to be diplomatic on the issue I guess it's a personal choice whether we decide to donate or not just as we would with various charities.

https://slate.com/business/2020/12/-dark-side-fraud-social-media-health-care.html

This is a fairly balanced article on go fund me if any one is interested. I think for all the good that stems from giving to others out does the small numbers whom abuse it .when witnessing a person in pain often we think "oh I wish I could take their pain away " and for some they literally think by donating they are helping to ease pain ,allowing those people who wish to donate and accepting those people who don't , the outcome is a mind without bitterness and a life less judged ..

:oops:

"Fresh Jay Slater search team deployed

to find spot where teen died

after cops 'refused'.

The heartbroken family has hired
a private search team to search for the exact spot
where the 19-year-old disappeared over one month ago.

Photos show the moment a helicopter crew member was carefully lowered into the deep gorge, arms raised, as part of the sensitive retrieval mission.

But his family still have questions about his disappearance.
The precise location where Jay's body was found
has not been disclosed by Spanish authorities.

The group, hired by Jay's family, named Signi Zoekhonden,
arrived on the island Sunday night, mere hours before the discovery of Jay's body the next morning.

Despite the find, they have stayed on in Tenerife and are expected to head back later in the week.

Today, they were spotted navigating a barren ravine alongside their search dog, Flex.

Spain's Guardia Civil
said on Friday
that they would not be disclosing
the exact location where Jay's body was discovered."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads