Found Deceased Spain - Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Disagree. The coroner only has to examine the facts he/she is presented with. IMO cannot call witnesses.
They can and do.

If a witness lives in England and Wales and has evidence that the Coroner regards as relevant and important to help in establishing the facts of the death, he/she can be required to attend Court. A witness will usually be asked to attend the inquest voluntarily, but if they do not agree and their evidence is crucial, the Coroner may issue a witness summons to compel their attendance. If the witness then does not attend he/she may be arrested, brought before the Coroner and charged with contempt of Court. This is an offence that is punishable with a fine or a term of imprisonment. If a witness lives abroad they can be invited, but cannot be compelled to attend or to give evidence.

Thoughts on the secrecy behind the police not giving information on the watch - JMO

We already know the Spanish police work strictly on not giving out any information pertaining to a case whilst it is still ongoing. I'd imagine stating whether the watch was or wasn't found with Jay would come under this secrecy. Although Jay's body has been found IMO this is still a live investigation. Perhaps they may close it once Jay's body leaves for the UK unless they wish to further look into the circumstances of how and why Jay came to being in the mountains in the first place.

I followed the MM case closely and the Portuguese police worked under similar strict privacy rules. However once the Portuguese closed the case every single piece of information that had been looked at was publically released. Does anyone know if this is the case in Spain? Do they release all case details once a case is closed? I read somewhere yesterday they do but I've no idea whether its true or not.

All MOO.

Silence from the police in Spain is basically always the standard -- in almost every case I've seen, they say nothing. Let alone preoccupy themselves with online theories or dispelling rumours etc. I can understand the frustration -- absolutely. But Q+As / press updates etc, in Spain it's simply a rarity. I have a family member in the Guardia Civil and he has remarked before on that culture of closed lips versus the openness you see in many American cases etc.
Correct. We often assume that LE from other countries is less effective than in other countries. That's simply untrue: they just operate in a different way.
Known facts:
JS went to Tenerife.
JS went missing in Tenerife.
A body has been found which is presumed to be that of JS
The coroner will announce the results of their initial autopsy.
Upon repatriation, UK coroners will carry out their own investigation.
That's honestly all that we know.

A Lancashire Police spokesman said: “People are allowed to voice their opinions on social media as they are allowed to voice them in person, simply because you don't agree with their opinion (particularly where it is about you personally) does not mean this is a crime or that the police can take action.

“If a person sends threatening/abusive/grossly offensive messages to another person via Facebook, Twitter, or any other social networking site, they could be committing an offence. The most relevant offences are 'harassment' and 'malicious communications'.

“For harassment to be committed, there must be a 'course of conduct' (i.e. two or more related occurrences). The messages do not necessarily have to be violent in nature, but would need to have caused some alarm or distress.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper