Found Deceased Spain - Julen Rosello, 2, fell into narrow and deep borehole, Totalán, 13 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Early Tuesday morning, Civil Guard officers worked to remove material from the well but without success. The depth of the hole has made the work difficult and the team were only able to remove 60 centimeters of soil and rock. A robotic camera also hit another barrier of material just 80 meters under the ground.

The rescue team have now decided to excavate a horizontal tunnel to the well, taking advantage of the slope of the hillside. But time is running out to find the toddler alive. His survival is based on the belief that there is an air bubble underground. As the tunnel is being bored, Civil Guard officers are continuing to excavate the well with an air suction machine.

Search continues for toddler thought to have fallen into 100-meter-deep well

Dear JerseyGirl,

Thank you for already posting this:

"The rescue team have now decided to excavate a horizontal tunnel to the well, taking advantage of the slope of the hillside."

Perhaps my avatar should read "all the news you've already heard".:)

I am just so hopeful, like everyone else, that this ends well.

Thank you for keeping us so well informed - as always @JerseyGirl !

This DM article names the boy as Yulen (most likely because of the Spanish pronounciation of "J" and DM's well-known lack of proofreading) but a later article names him as Julen, no "i". There are pictures of the hole (so tiny! 15 in/38cm) and the area were it's located.
Boy falls down well in Spain, prompting race against time search | Daily Mail Online
Rescue operation to save boy who fell down well in Spain continues | Daily Mail Online

It's not looking good. Apparently an additional problem with tunneling horizontally to the hole is that it needs to be cased in order to keep it from collapsing. I guess that means using some sort of material to line it as they tunnel.

I'm still not clear on whether rescuers believe Julen is at the bottom of the hole or stuck somewhere closer to the surface.

No news except the continuation of the rescue operation:

From NBC:
"Rescue workers were attempting to widen the passage to allow the camera to go deeper, Pilar Limon, a spokesperson for the Emergencies Coordination Unit, told NBC News."

"Teams were concentrating their efforts on securing an alternative rescue route by digging a tunnel that would intersect the well, according to Maria Galvez, a Málaga government official at the site."

Rescuers find candies but can't reach toddler trapped in Spanish well

Last edited:
“The hole does not have a vertical direction as if the perforation were plummeting vertically… in one hundred meters there can be a deviation of up to two and three meters horizontally, and the opening is only a hand’s breadth in width… is it possible that a baby does not get stuck and has fallen straight to the bottom? As I said that it is very difficult.”

-----------------------------------------------------

The bold claims come as the Asturias A-team who helped rescue the infamous 13 Chilean miners from a collapsed mine have been flown in to help the rescue operation.

Drilling expert claims it's 'almost impossible' for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - Olive Press News Spain

So is he claiming that the well zig and zags?
That would make absolutely no sense for a well.

There's one thing about this whole thing that I find a bit odd. Maybe someone can enlighten me! The hole is pretty narrow (I think I read 25cm diameter). How come they found a bag of sweets and (I think) plastic cup belonging to the child, but not the child himself? I would have expected these items to fall down the hole more easily and have got deeper down than the child as they are smaller. Yet they have found those but no trace of the child. Doesn't that seem a bit odd?

The child is heavier. Yes he's also a bit larger but he has more weight to continue falling further down.

This DM article names the boy as Yulen (most likely because of the Spanish pronounciation of "J" and DM's well-known lack of proofreading) but a later article names him as Julen, no "i". There are pictures of the hole (so tiny! 15 in/38cm) and the area were it's located.
Boy falls down well in Spain, prompting race against time search | Daily Mail Online
Rescue operation to save boy who fell down well in Spain continues | Daily Mail Online

It's not looking good. Apparently an additional problem with tunneling horizontally to the hole is that it needs to be cased in order to keep it from collapsing. I guess that means using some sort of material to line it as they tunnel.

I'm still not clear on whether rescuers believe Julen is at the bottom of the hole or stuck somewhere closer to the surface.

They have gone down to I believe 260 feet and not seen Julen. They believe that some dirt collapsed on him when he fell and he's underneath that. The hope is that there is an air pocket and little to no water down there.

It sounds as though there were other witnesses, not just the parents. So it appears there will be more witnesses to the fact that Julen was there and then was gone.

Not that I would suspect parents who have already lost one child to be responsible for losing another anyway.

A toddler fell into a well in Spain. Rescuers can’t reach him, and his parents no longer hear him.

The tragedy happened as the family of three — Julen, whose name has also been spelled “Yulen,” and his parents, Jose Rosello and Vicky Garcia — was setting up for a paella picnic with friends in Totalan, a small town on the southern coast of Spain, according to Britain’s Daily Express.

So is he claiming that the well zig and zags?
That would make absolutely no sense for a well.

I think he might be referring to something I encountered when I worked for an oil & gas drilling contractor. We had to submit inclination reports to the TX railroad commission for the wells we drilled because once you drill to a certain depth, the rotating motion of the drill will naturally cause slight directional variances which can accumulate substantially depending on the depth of the well. So basically, where the hole starts at the surface might be several feet or meters away from where the bottom of the well is in the earth. I believe the reports were necessary in case of a mineral rights dispute.

I think he might be referring to something I encountered when I worked for an oil & gas drilling contractor. We had to submit inclination reports to the TX railroad commission for the wells we drilled because once you drill to a certain depth, the rotating motion of the drill will naturally cause slight directional variances which can accumulate substantially depending on the depth of the well. So basically, where the hole starts at the surface might be several feet or meters away from where the bottom of the well is in the earth. I believe the reports were necessary in case of a mineral rights dispute.

So slight directional variances certainly don't mean he could not have slipped down, correct? I highly doubt if the rescuers could tell he couldn't have that they would be using all the resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helangel