Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this tweet....

"Actually I think Kurtz grandstanding & bufooning - needs the drama & attention due to lack of credible witnesses?"

First murder trial, in over his head? Someone remind me WHY Brad picked this firm.

Maybe that Canadian news article WAS correct and there is a delay until Friday. I wonder if defense asked for a delay to take this to a higher court? I wouldn't be surprised.

If you are an attorney, this is flirting with Rule 8.2.

We have an obligation to reflect on our comments before airing them in public, and I think that includes even when we are behind screen names. Particularly, comments about the integrity of a judge (and isn't saying the judge has not been impartial "at any point in this trial" a comment on integrity since he would be violating the duties of his office completely) should be completely merited and not blown out of proportion.

Not a personal attack or a threat, just a perspective on the Rules of Professional Conduct as they relate to the judiciary.

Bears repeating, and I wish there was a way to double and triple check posts for approval or what ever it is, all the THANKS THANKS THANKS is what I mean. Double, triple and quadruple thanks.

Maybe that Canadian news article WAS correct and there is a delay until Friday. I wonder if defense asked for a delay to take this to a higher court? I wouldn't be surprised.

Since we are getting absolutely nothing out of the courtroom you might be right. I hate just sitting here, have too many other things I need to be doing. But I'm afraid I'll miss something if I leave.

BUT, otto, those witnesses were asked by Kurtz what they believed or their theories..so they only answered those questions. Pros. never asked those questions of those same witnesses..only what they did and why they followed that up?..Never asked their opinions IIRC:twocents:

Theories and beliefs are fine for the coffee table, but in a courtroom I would expect to see facts and conclusions. To start the trial with days and days filled with the opinions of neighbors was bizarre. Now we've seen police officers do the same thing. It's their opinion that Brad automated calls to his cell phone, but they have nothing to prove it. Testimony like that shouldn't even be introduced in court. I don't understand what's going on with the computer experts, but it seems like the prosecution expert is claiming that something happened, but again it can't be verified independently because defense doesn't have all the information.

If that were the case, I don't believe we would still be on a test pattern. I believe it would say the video has concluded. I'm guessing the undercover agent is still on the stand.

Since we are getting absolutely nothing out of the courtroom you might be right. I hate just sitting here, have too many other things I need to be doing. But I'm afraid I'll miss something if I leave.

I know. I just hit the treadmill for 30 minutes and didn't miss a thing. This is actually probably a good time to get some things done:).

If that were the case, I don't believe we would still be on a test pattern. I believe it would say the video has concluded. I'm guessing the undercover agent is still on the stand.

I have a doctors appointment at noon tomorrow otherwise I would go myself. Thursday I have to work away from home and I already dread it.
This trial is consuming too much of me.

First murder trial, in over his head? Someone remind me WHY Brad picked this firm.

Full page Yellow Pages ad?
You could clearly see early on both Kurtz and Blum loved the publicity.

Um, after all this testimony about web searches, IP address, datalogging and forensics, you really just said that???

Ok, I'm done. I'll go back to lurking from time to time. You guys have fun with your murder trials.

The ruling may or may not have been correct but MUCH of what BZ was arguing about should not have been taken into consideration as to whether he is an expert or not. It would come into play during cross examination before the jury, but now it has been made sure that the jury will never hear it.

I disagree. The judge said 'he would be allowed to testify as an expert 'in his field of work'. But not in that to which he is not qualified. He does not and did not qualify as a forensic computer expert by ANY standards.

I searched and found. He testified to Brad being on his computer 4 times the night of the 11th and he testifies about Nancy's emails being forwarded unknown to her. He was crossed about the handling of the computer and the fact that it was left on the network for 27 hours after the house was seized.

There was so much more, Cheyenne. I have pages and pages from the days that the FBI agent and Detective Chappell were on the stand. I don't think it's nearly as cut and dried as it appears from the reporting, which was why I was excited to hear the Defense's expert. Ugh--who knew he wouldn't be the right kind of expert?

The police influenced whose expert testimony--their own FBI computer guy?

I haven't followed the SBI case closely, but I think it had to do with the forensic examination of evidence (like DNA). Evidence was withheld because it favored the accused or contradicted investigator's theories. If investigators had a long standing relationship with related experts such that the experts manipulated information to support police theories, then investigators may still be operating with the assumption that because they have a theory and belief, it will be believed and supported by the experts they choose. I'm probably not explaining this clearly, but given the history of investigators and the SBI, it is not entirely unbelievable that police are still manipulating information to agree with their preferred outcome.

I disagree. The judge said 'he would be allowed to testify as an expert 'in his field of work'. But not in that to which he is not qualified. He does not and did not qualify as a forensic computer expert by ANY standards.

Since Mr. Ward himself was honest enough to admit he was not an expert in computer forensics, I'll take his word on it. Guess I don't know why so many are riled up by this, seems kinda obvious, to me anyhow, when the fella himself admits it during the voir dire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member