State v Bradley Cooper - 3/25/11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I said somewhere between a tech support guy (aka IT Engineer or IT Analyst) and a tester. Here are some salary numbers for those positions:

IT Engineer

Test Engineer

Keep in mind that these salary numbers are averages of samples of 70 or so employees. So, it would include everything from college kids right out of school to people with many years of experience. Brad had 8 years of experience so of course he'd be above the average.

Would you kindly read this thorough description of this CCIE course and description and then try to compare an IT Engineer or IT Test Engineer, to just how Computer savy Brad Cooper was!! TYIA

http://articlescollections.com/understanding-ccie/

snippet~~

Storage Networking is the newest of the five tracks of Cisco CCIE training. Speed networks such as FC, or Fibre Channel, Fibre Channel tunneling, storage area networks such as iSCSI, fiber connectivity (FICON), and Intra VSAN routing are all included in this Cisco CCIE Course.

Having said this..I will be looking forward to the States Computer Forensic EXPERT's Credentialling....As I know the defense will delve into his authority and expertise..

He said under oath he knew how to place a remote call using VOIP.
I made it a little bigger since apparently that is helpful.

I never said that he didn't know how to make one. All I said is that it doesn't take some kind significant telephony expertise to do that. In fact, any moron with an iPhone or Droid can do it with the Ooma mobile app. This app lets you make calls from your mobile device and the callerid will display your home phone number. So, again, the level of expertise needed to do this is the ability to navigate the App Store.

Now, I understand that they didn't have Ooma, but, the point is that there are multitudes of these simple was to do something like that.

Silly question///fact Brad meets Nancy at Cisco Workplace during the late '90's....They move to Cary NC as Brad got transfer with Cisco to a job there..
Do will actually know what his Job Title and description would be..?? Now we are getting into Puter evidence, and abilities to manipulate said expertise and by whom..I would really like to know..now:waitasec:

If he had good puter skills, but nothing extraordinary to do that job....Amazing that his skill set would fit right in with any Best Buy Salesperson...sooo now Inquiring Minds want to know:waitasec:

They met in 1999, married in 2000 and moved to Cary.

"Brad and Nancy Cooper met in 1999 when they both worked for IBM in Canada. Cisco had twice recruited Brad Cooper to come work in Raleigh. In 2000, the couple moved up their marriage plans so she could join him in the U.S. and they moved to Cary."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Moth...t+strife+daughter+marriage/4480141/story.html

I never said that he didn't know how to make one. All I said is that it doesn't take some kind significant telephony expertise to do that. In fact, any moron with an iPhone or Droid can do it with the Ooma mobile app. This app lets you make calls from your mobile device and the callerid will display your home phone number. So, again, the level of expertise needed to do this is the ability to navigate the App Store.

Now, I understand that they didn't have Ooma, but, the point is that there are multitudes of these simple was to do something like that.

My apologies if you were offended.
Debating Brad's technical ability seemed like overkill.
The guy is obviously smarter than the average bear.
As you pointed out, it was apparently an easy thing to do, even with basic telecom experience.

The CPD, Wake County DA and yours truly thinks he did it.

I made it a little bigger since apparently that is helpful.

Respectfully I think it was your original statement and discrediting those who gave Brad credit for higher knowledge base in Computer Sciences (Voip Guru/your word) is what most are speaking to...I think given his level of credentialing thru Cisco indicated just how savy he really is...and given that only someone similarly learned could catch him IF he indeed do something to subvert detection if looked at.....We will see soon IF it was...
Having said that..It might have been wise for Brad to FRY his puter items..which would have made detection much more difficult..IMO

I haven't been here in about 3 years and was a bit surprised that my ID still works. But, I've been reading some of the articles about the case this week and decided to come here and see what the discussion was like. I had a couple of thoughts that I'll offer.

Reading how the media has presented the technical aspects of this and I suppose the way the prosecution has presented it left me with the same kind of eye-rolling feeling that a MD probably has when watching a medical drama on TV.

First of all, portraying Brad as some kind of world-class VoIP guru is laughable. He was somewhere between a tech support guy and a tester. He would know how to set up and use VoIP, but his level of knowledge would be no better than that of 1000's of other people in the area.

Secondly, whether he is or is not a VoIP expert really means little. There seems to be a mystical image of what one can do with VoIP that could otherwise not be done. That is just not the case. If the whole point of this is his ability to spoof a scheduled phone call, I can think of many ways to do that. Many of them could be done with an early 1990's era 9600 BAUD modem and a PC running Windows 3. :-) Actually, doing in a non-VoIP phone system would probably be easier and result in less tracking info being left behind.

The only way that I see VoIP making a significant technical difference is that typically the VoIP providers (Time Warner, Vonage, Ooma, etc) bundle a lot of features as part of their base service that you often don't get "for free" with a Plain Old Telephone System like Bellsouth. However, those features aren't necessarily offered because of unique technical abilities that VoIP gives you. It is more a case of there being a lot of competition in the VoIP market so the providers have to try to distinguish themselves with lots of fancy features. Some of those features (like call-forwarding, simulring, fallback numbers, etc) could help with spoofing a call, but they also make the fact that you did a lot easier to track. The level of expertise to use those features would be no greater than that of a cellphone savvy high school kid.

Note, I'm not trying to make a guilt or innocence argument here. I'm just saying that both Brad's technical expertise and the importance of that expertise are being oversold.

BBM

Brad has a degree in computer science from a highly respected University. The Prime Minister of Canada graduated from the same University. This is the kind of ground breaking work that is done at this university: http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=e607fb4e-7a6f-40aa-a6df-ff33cc2f330e

Brad had nothing to do with "tech support" or product testing. This is the kind of stuff Brad learned: http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/cpsc_research

I know, but instead of my feeling that he didn't know 'if' she wasn't coming home--he just flat out knew she wasn't coming home. That's my take on the condition of the bed.

???

She was found on the 14th so why would anyone have a feeling he didn't know IF she was coming home. At that point he knew she was gone.

Would you kindly read this thorough description of this CCIE course and description and then try to compare an IT Engineer or IT Test Engineer, to just how Computer savy Brad Cooper was!! TYIA

Oh, I'm pretty sure I don't need to read the CCIE description. :-)

There are more than 20K CCIE's in the world, fwiw.

At Cisco, the greatest concentration of CCIE's would be in the technical support group (aka TAC) and in SE's (aka Sales or Systems Engineers). The SE's are field people who work with sales guys but are far more technical. They are not "gurus", but they know how to install, configure, and support networking equipment.

What most people would be more likely to consider "gurus" are the software and hardware engineers who develop the products. They very rarely pursue CCIE's.

Brad's level of expertise was akin to a Ph.D. at Cisco. THE HIGHEST designation of the series one can achieve. A small % of people in the U.S. had their CCIE at that time. At the time Brad got his I believe there were somewhere around 500 total VOIP CCIEs in the United States.

Brad's level of expertise was akin to a Ph.D. at Cisco. THE HIGHEST designation of the series one can achieve. A small % of people in the U.S. had their CCIE at that time. At the time Brad got his I believe there were somewhere around 500 total VOIP CCIEs in the United States.

Yes, his CCIE number I think was in the 13,000's which is a pretty low number considering they started them in 1994 or so. I think my husband's first one was in the 5,000's and it was a really big deal when he got it.

Can you be more specific? What is SW and what undisclosed location are you referring to? Thanks.

I think SW means search warrant?

Haven't heard anything about a fertility clinic though. That could be interesting - if true.

What most people would be more likely to consider "gurus" are the software and hardware engineers who develop the products. They very rarely pursue CCIE's.

So I assume you are a software/hardware engineer? :crazy:

Trying to catch up with testimony, and better yet the great discussions and updates here on websleuths. One question that keeps popping up for me, and I apologize if this has been discussed, is if someone did hack the computer as the defense implies, wouldn't that show as to when (the date) it was hacked? If there was something incriminating on the computer on a date prior to NC going missing, then something that was added or searched after the fact (as in when the alleged hacking may have taken place) wouldn't that be a non issue since it was after the disappearance? I am technologically disadvantaged but this just doesn't make sense to me. Anyone who can clarify?

I guess we will see when the defense is up. They claim to have proof CPD modified history within the 27 hour time frame they had access to the computer in July '08. They claim history and files were modified back to June. We will have to wait and see what is presented.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I don't need to read the CCIE description. :-)

There are more than 20K CCIE's in the world, fwiw.

At Cisco, the greatest concentration of CCIE's would be in the technical support group (aka TAC) and in SE's (aka Sales or Systems Engineers). The SE's are field people who work with sales guys but are far more technical. They are not "gurus", but they know how to install, configure, and support networking equipment.

I disagree. It's my experience that people in senior position need to be able to communicate with employees at all levels; to know the language and to know what others know. There's nothing questionable about someone with advanced degrees attending a course on something that is done by other employees in the department.

Ok listening to the defense opening has me more interested in the psychic that led to the search of the golf course. Weren't tire tracks found at the site of the body that could have been left by a golf cart?

Can someone direct me to the deposition with BC? I've looked all over and can't find it. I know it must be in front of me. Found the index with all the details but can't find the video. Or, does anyone approx when it was taped and I can start finding it that way. Thanks.

Edited - I found it on wral. Sorry!

I guess we will see when the defense is up. They claim to have proof CPD modified history within the 27 hour time frame they had access to the computer in July '08. They claim history and files were modified back to June. We will have to wait and see what is presented.

That's funny. He used a system restore point? That's smarter than other guys that get caught by their computer use ... but still nothing brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08