State v Bradley Cooper - 3/25/11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny. He used a system restore point? That's smarter than other guys that get caught by their computer use ... but still nothing brilliant.

I have no idea what a system restore point is.:)

I'm listening to Brad Cooper depositions, hearing Brad testify about first meeting Nancy. "She asked him out a few times but he turned her down."

I think Kurtz is going to allude that someone with an axe to grind (i.e. Nancy's pals) planted "stuff" on BC's computer. We'll have to wait and see what "stuff" equates to, but obviously Kurtz isn't this bugged out because BC was reading NC's emails. He specifically mentions in his opening that the Cooper's used WEP encryption on their wireless network (not secure) and that BC gave the passkey info out. It sounds like he looked to seat jurors who knew very little about their own home wireless setup and will use that "it could have happened to me too" fear to give his expert an edge.

I think Kurtz is going to allude that someone with an axe to grind (i.e. Nancy's pals) planted "stuff" on BC's computer. We'll have to wait and see what "stuff" equates to, but obviously Kurtz isn't this bugged out because BC was reading NC's emails. He specifically mentions in his opening that the Cooper's used WEP encryption on their wireless network (not secure) and that BC gave the passkey info out. It sounds like he looked to seat jurors who knew very little about their own home wireless setup and will use that "it could have happened to me too" fear to give his expert an edge.

Isnt it a real shame that the real expert ( Brad) cant testify for himself regarding or rebutting whatever the State Expert sayz....:maddening:..I get the sense He is well versed on the subject :floorlaugh:

I have no idea what a system restore point is.:)

It's a good idea to set system restore points if, for example, you've loaded a whole bunch of software (takes hours and hours), and then a while later your computer gets hit by a virus, or something gets scrambled. It's used to reset your computer to a previous date when the system was working properly.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

It's a good idea to set system restore points if, for example, you've loaded a whole bunch of software (takes hours and hours), and then a while later your computer gets hit by a virus, or something gets scrambled. It's used to reset your computer to a previous date when the system was working properly.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Yes Yes..I have had to do that to my desktop computer over the years..Only side affect is it really seemed to slow it down..OR maybe because its so old :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:..I can knit booties between each stroke of my enter key..LOL..Voila..Use laptop 99% now:great:

Yes Yes..I have had to do that to my desktop computer over the years..Only side affect is it really seemed to slow it down..OR maybe because its so old :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:..I can knit booties between each stroke of my enter key..LOL..Voila..Use laptop 99% now:great:

I'm not sure that this is what happened, but if the computer is wiped from July back to June, it sounds like a system restore point was used. I've set restore points from time to time, but I've never had to rely on it. Brad had a couple of days between the murder until the computer was confiscated to do whatever he needed to do ... and ... there's nothing incriminating (on it's own) with restoring a computer to a previous date. He may habitually do it once a month.

The search warrant for undisclosed locations was "never returned" & was supposedly part of the delay tactics. Not dragging that out but having an on-going chat with some friends about. Was able to confirm there were unreturned warrants the defense was either anticipating or dreading or both.

I'm not sure that this is what happened, but if the computer is wiped from July back to June, it sounds like a system restore point was used. I've set restore points from time to time, but I've never had to rely on it. Brad had a couple of days between the murder until the computer was confiscated to do whatever he needed to do ... and ... there's nothing incriminating (on it's own) with restoring a computer to a previous date. He may habitually do it once a month.
Scratching head??
You sound pretty Geeky to me (said with luv)..could the forensic examiner of this computer be able to reset the date to July whatevers..to regain some files??..or can they with their programs just recapture that data?? I have the Computer degree of LBSOP (Learned by seat of pants)..and a son who is a geek showed me some tools...thats it!!

Scratching head??
You sound pretty Geeky to me (said with luv)..could the forensic examiner of this computer be able to reset the date to July whatevers..to regain some files??..or can they with their programs just recapture that data?? I have the Computer degree of LBSOP (Learned by seat of pants)..and a son who is a geek showed me some tools...thats it!!

As far as I know, once the restore point is set to a previous date, all system data from after that date is toast ... but email, photos and documents remain intact. Someone with Brad's training might be able to get around it, but I'm not convinced that a computer forensic expert could extract data from a computer if Brad was making sure that it disappeared.

I'm listening to Brad Cooper depositions, hearing Brad testify about first meeting Nancy. "She asked him out a few times but he turned her down."

I'm listening too. I saw some of it back in 2008, but not all of it. It's reminding me of how unlikeable he was. And arrogant. And flippant.

No, I think you misunderstood. I *think* what the defense is saying is that Cary Police edited his files and history as far back as June. I have no idea what BC did regarding restore points or anything.

I'm listening too. I saw some of it back in 2008, but not all of it. It's reminding me of how unlikeable he was. And arrogant. And flippant.

He certainly remembered the French girls name easily, but couldn't remember either his mothers middle name, nor his brothers childs name.

As far as I know, once the restore point is set to a previous date, all system data from after that date is toast ... but email, photos and documents remain intact. Someone with Brad's training might be able to get around it, but I'm not convinced that a computer forensic expert could extract data from a computer if Brad was making sure that it disappeared.

Cisco would have had multiple system backups for the thinkpad June/July time frame.

I haven't been here in about 3 years and was a bit surprised that my ID still works. But, I've been reading some of the articles about the case this week and decided to come here and see what the discussion was like. I had a couple of thoughts that I'll offer.

Reading how the media has presented the technical aspects of this and I suppose the way the prosecution has presented it left me with the same kind of eye-rolling feeling that a MD probably has when watching a medical drama on TV.

First of all, portraying Brad as some kind of world-class VoIP guru is laughable. He was somewhere between a tech support guy and a tester. He would know how to set up and use VoIP, but his level of knowledge would be no better than that of 1000's of other people in the area.

Secondly, whether he is or is not a VoIP expert really means little. There seems to be a mystical image of what one can do with VoIP that could otherwise not be done. That is just not the case. If the whole point of this is his ability to spoof a scheduled phone call, I can think of many ways to do that. Many of them could be done with an early 1990's era 9600 BAUD modem and a PC running Windows 3. :-) Actually, doing in a non-VoIP phone system would probably be easier and result in less tracking info being left behind.

The only way that I see VoIP making a significant technical difference is that typically the VoIP providers (Time Warner, Vonage, Ooma, etc) bundle a lot of features as part of their base service that you often don't get "for free" with a Plain Old Telephone System like Bellsouth. However, those features aren't necessarily offered because of unique technical abilities that VoIP gives you. It is more a case of there being a lot of competition in the VoIP market so the providers have to try to distinguish themselves with lots of fancy features. Some of those features (like call-forwarding, simulring, fallback numbers, etc) could help with spoofing a call, but they also make the fact that you did a lot easier to track. The level of expertise to use those features would be no greater than that of a cellphone savvy high school kid.

Note, I'm not trying to make a guilt or innocence argument here. I'm just saying that both Brad's technical expertise and the importance of that expertise are being oversold.

I fear I cannot make that trip with you. He has a CCIE in VOIP. Hardly a high school kid with a cellphone type qualification. The CCNA is not too bad, but CCNP is somewhat challenging and CCIE downright difficult, even for someone with a fair amount of smarts.

Yes, there are plenty of ways to fake the calls, we have discussed them here, but we are not going to know for sure until the computer forensics testimony happens. I have a feeling we are going to see some stuff in that. Until then, we have to wait and speculate of possible ways it could be done.

No, I think you misunderstood. I *think* what the defense is saying is that Cary Police edited his files and history as far back as June. I have no idea what BC did regarding restore points or anything.

Edited his files? That's problematic.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I don't need to read the CCIE description. :-)

There are more than 20K CCIE's in the world, fwiw.

At Cisco, the greatest concentration of CCIE's would be in the technical support group (aka TAC) and in SE's (aka Sales or Systems Engineers). The SE's are field people who work with sales guys but are far more technical. They are not "gurus", but they know how to install, configure, and support networking equipment.

What most people would be more likely to consider "gurus" are the software and hardware engineers who develop the products. They very rarely pursue CCIE's.

I work with engineers all the time on complex systems, and I USED to think of them as the gurus too. Then I discovered that I was the guru when it comes to those systems. The engineers work on small portions of the systems, and hack together configurations with small databases to test. They do not support the full system after it is installed and talking with the other systems and using full sized databases on the customer network. I found that they know the portion of the code that they worked on, but they have no concept of what it takes to make the system operational. I was a little disillusioned, but it is a fact. My team knows more about the whole system than the engineers, so I no longer considered them to be gurus... just saying that it takes a better understanding to make the system configuration work correctly and properly support it than to write a small part of the code that makes it tick.

I don't know where to post this to talk to someone else about it, because the old threat from the depositions from child custody discussion are so old. I am just now listening to them. He seems so calm and collected during this so far, it almost leads me to believe he is a great liar or really is innocent of doing anything to her... on another note, it seems like he could be on xanax because he is so calm and not nervous. I would be nervous whether I was guilty or not of murder, especially in front of the camera and all these lawyers.. just very strange how he is so "chill"

I don't know where to post this to talk to someone else about it, because the old threat from the depositions from child custody discussion are so old. I am just now listening to them. He seems so calm and collected during this so far, it almost leads me to believe he is a great liar or really is innocent of doing anything to her... on another note, it seems like he could be on xanax because he is so calm and not nervous. I would be nervous whether I was guilty or not of murder, especially in front of the camera and all these lawyers.. just very strange how he is so "chill"

IIRC, wasn't he asked that question, 'are you on any meds' in the beginning of the deposition process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025