State v Bradley Cooper 4-25-11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It still leaves open the question of why did they not look at NC's phone when she first went missing. They should have looked at her phone no later than Sunday morning after she went missing. They are putting out fliers, setting up roadblocks, etc. and did not bother to look at her phone?

And did i see something about JA or somebody helping them with NC's PIN? Or is that just another of the FAUX FACTS in this case?

Det. Dismukes asked HP if she knew the passcode to unlock the phone. She said she did not. He said "We have everything we need on (off?) the phone."

Yes, data is still stored on old SIM cards. The existing SIM cards would not have been effected by the merger.

You can swap them from phone to phone easily. Your SIM card essentially is your phone. I used to try out new mobile phones a few times a month, and all I had to do was move my SIM card from phone to phone and all my data was there.

If they gave you a new SIM card to replace an old one they would unprovision the old one, they are so tiny, easy to lose, you wouldn't want an old SIM card getting into the hands of someone who may run up major charges on your bill.

Yes, data is still stored on old SIM cards. The existing SIM cards would not have been effected by the merger.

You can swap them from phone to phone easily. Your SIM card essentially is your phone. I used to try out new mobile phones a few times a month, and all I had to do was move my SIM card from phone to phone and all my data was there.

Is there anything that can be done to an old SIM card to render it useless (data wise) besides taking a sledge hammer to it?

Det. Dismukes asked HP if she knew the passcode to unlock the phone. She said she did not. He said "We have everything we need on (off?) the phone."

Since most of us didn't get to hear that testimony it's hard to say. I took it to mean that they got all the information from the phone records.

Since most of us didn't get to hear that testimony it's hard to say. I took it to mean that they got all the information from the phone records.

Huh? It was played during cross of HP. Anybody can listen to it. I definitely took it to mean they had something from the phone not phone records.

Huh? It was played during cross of HP. Anybody can listen to it. I definitely took it to mean they had something from the phone not phone records.

Ahh. I thought you were referring to the testimony of Det. Dis. Without hearing from the detective, I have no idea what the context of that comment was.

Well, we KNOW they're monitoring this site, so let's HOPE that they are taking notes and it will be cleared up in closing statements.

Seriously, I've seen it done,;)

JMHO
fran

I'm guessing, as a fellow San Diegan, that you remember the Westerfield trial, Fran. The phone "stuff" reminds me of the dueling bug experts at the DW trial. The jury heard so much, that I think they felt that the testimony by the various experts more or less negated the significance of that evidence.

I may be mistaken, but I think that considering the disagreement and the variables associated with the phones, the jury might disregard some of the things that many here see as important...IMOO...

I thought this was a pretty good witness until he messed up about the phone being NC's or not. I had already tried to dismiss that he didn't bring all of the dcumentation for this testimony. I know it wasn't required, but this is his JOB and he's most likely being paid very handsomely for it. Poor man seemed so confused. :confused:

I've mentioned before that one of my daughters is a forensic chemist. Part of her J O B is also testifying to verify or confirm HER work on the evidence being presented. Part of her JOB is reviewing her notes prior to going to court. She also often times meets with the pros and reviews her findings.

I'll ask her how much of her background work she takes with her. I do know that they have EXTREMELY strict restricitions on the procedure for each type of evidence they review. She has written some of the protocol.

JMHO
fran

PS...LOL, this is about the only type of info my dd will discuss with me about her job, anything useless. ;) fran :)

Anything brought up to the stand is fair game for the other side to look at. Secondly, he should have reviewed his notes before going on the stand. However, it is so easy to get tripped up on the stand. My gues is your dd has undergone lots of mock courts and training for courtroom if she works for an agency. I doubt all defense witnesses go through that thorough training. It is obvious looking at courtroom testimony by some of the witnesses for defense.

From what I see, it is only the long-time BDI posters who are "falling" for this. Those of us who have been watching the evidence and testimony with fresh eyes are dealing with it much differently. That has resulted with some hopping over the wall from side to side, others painfully straddling it, and still others clinging on to one side or the other.

Think about those poor jurors who still can't talk to anyone about any of this! Sounds cruel to me.

"Innocent until proven guilty" only matters in the courtroom, but I prefer to take that viewpoint until I hear: guilty - especially since so much court evidence is new. Kurtz is putting on a mighty case, but I'm not sure that it will be enough. I really feel for the jurors in this case. It will probably take them weeks to fully process everything they've heard.

I'm guessing, as a fellow San Diegan, that you remember the Westerfield trial, Fran. The phone "stuff" reminds me of the dueling bug experts at the DW trial. The jury heard so much, that I think they felt that the testimony by the various experts more or less negated the significance of that evidence.

I may be mistaken, but I think that considering the disagreement and the variables associated with the phones, the jury might disregard some of the things that many here see as important...IMOO...

The one thing that I expected him to testify to is the cell tower evidence. He was so animated in shaking his head during the testimony of the AT&T records guy that I thought sure that was going to be part of what he was going to bring to court. His testimony is that there are no cell towers in Cary. Is that true?

Anything brought up to the stand is fair game for the other side to look at. Secondly, he should have reviewed his notes before going on the stand. However, it is so easy to get tripped up on the stand. My gues is your dd has undergone lots of mock courts and training for courtroom if she works for an agency. I doubt all defense witnesses go through that thorough training. It is obvious looking at courtroom testimony by some of the witnesses for defense.

Except in the case of this witness, this is now what he does for a living. He is an expert court witness. (I think I got that right. Monday and Wednesday are my days with the one year old and three year old. My reports are lacking in many places. Especially around 11-1.)

So if on this board, we are arguing amongst ourselves over what was said, can you imagine what it will be when the jury deliberates?

Looks like Boz's technique was at least somewhat effective.

As the saying goes: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bull****!"

Except in the case of this witness, this is now what he does for a living. He is an expert court witness. (I think I got that right. Monday and Wednesday are my days with the one year old and three year old. My reports are lacking in many places. Especially around 11-1.)

Yes, it shows that he hasn't had professional training in testifying. That said, he probably knows his field. He did get awfully rattled up there.

Dear DA CW:

Might I recommend that BZ not be allowed anywhere near any more defense witnesses.

This thing is already a mess and the high strung antics are making it worse. I understand he may be the only person in the DA's office with both a Myspace and a Facebook app on his phone, but in all honesty, he and Kurtz are beginning to look like what I imagine happens when siamese twins are separated that don't want to be separated do when put on opposite sides of a legal case.

You actually had a witness leave the stand today muttering the words "Thank God" within earshot of the jury. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you also apparently had ANOTHER witness come on websleuths to defend THEMSELVES.

I would recommend that maybe SS05 take over for HK and possibly NC95 as co-counsel with FD being allowed to continue her diligent research. I am fairly positive that GL and M74 could gladly pick up the pros. We have several knowledgable technical experts who would gladly provide etch-a-sketches and abacuses for the remainder of the testimony. If I shave my head, I can pull off the Gess-style of THJG. I already have the voice down just in case.

We just need a day or two to prep and we can pick up where this is leaving off.

Thanks,

JF

AND honorable moderators...you don't have to put me on TO. I am TOing myself and thinking that once this trial is over, I will need a seven day vacay at Holly Hill or another local facility to wipe the addiction from my brow and the drool from my chin.

Dear DA CW:

Might I recommend that BZ not be allowed anywhere near any more defense witnesses.

This thing is already a mess and the high strung antics are making it worse. I understand he may be the only person in the DA's office with both a Myspace and a Facebook app on his phone, but in all honesty, he and Kurtz are beginning to look like what I imagine happens when siamese twins are separated that don't want to be separated do when put on opposite sides of a legal case.

You actually had a witness leave the stand today muttering the words "Thank God" within earshot of the jury. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you also apparently had ANOTHER witness come on websleuths to defend THEMSELVES.

I would recommend that maybe SS05 take over for HK and possibly NC95 as co-counsel with FD being allowed to continue her diligent research. I am fairly positive that GL and M74 could gladly pick up the pros. We have several knowledgable technical experts who would gladly provide etch-a-sketches and abacuses for the remainder of the testimony. If I shave my head, I can pull off the Gess-style of THJG. I already have the voice down just in case.

Thanks,

JF

I couldn't disagree more. I thought BZ did a great job today.

ETA: I was among the many that did not like his cross of JW. It made me squirm in my seat sitting in my family room. So I'm not just saying that as some "pro prosecution" poster.

Dear DA CW:

Thanks,

JF

AND honorable moderators...you don't have to put me on TO. I am TOing myself and thinking that once this trial is over, I will need a seven day vacay at Holly Hill or another local facility to wipe the addiction from my brow and the drool from my chin.

Brilliant!

Are you making reference to the prosecution? the defense? or both? :wink:

I would hope the prosecution. I though BZ was very confrontational, unprofessional and just grabbing onto anything he could to try to discredit the witness. I don't think it worked. I think the jury will see him in a bad light if based on today's antics

it would have helped the defense if you had testified instead of their expert, but since you didn't, the jury will have rely on the expert's admission that it was not her phone that he tested.....but another phone.

Listen to his testimony one more time. He was definitely confused but utimately, with some prompting, remembered that it was NC's phone that was used for the filming.

eta - to help a bit, at the WRAL site, DAY 32 part 5 at approx 38 minutes he (after much confusion), under cross by boz, concludes that he did the demo on Nancy's phone and the demo wiped the phone clean so it was returned to evidence just as they'd received it. Then again at 41 minutes under redirect by Kurtz he again states that the video was done using NC's phone.

Dear DA CW:

Thanks,

JF

With all due respect, the fact that one witness can't wait to get off the stand and another feels the need to defend himself on a public forum......is a reflection of them as weak "experts" and not the fault of the DA. If a witness is solid...they will stand up to cross examination.......It is the job of the DA to discredit them.....a strategy that he seems to be good at so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018