Steven Powell arrested in Washington State

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little insight into what might be going on with the boys. As a 22 year veteran foster parent I can say with about 99% certainty that the children have been placed in protective custody in a non family member placement. This is done so that the children can be properly interviewed by professionals without any possibility of family influence. What those children say to investigators or even foster care providers over the next few weeks or even months could be detrimental to building a case against SP or even JP. I would expect the children to remain in foster care for at least 90 days and possibly longer. At least they are safe now but I think it will take a very long time before everything comes out.

I wanted to bump momtective's helpful post about her experience about kids being placed in protective custody.

wm

I saw that and wasn't sure that was what he was doing. Also noticed they made him bend down to go through the door........

Maybe they were preparing him for things to come! :butthead:

:floorlaugh: :saythat:

:floorlaugh::great::floorlaugh::great::floorlaugh:

Just a little insight into what might be going on with the boys. As a 22 year veteran foster parent I can say with about 99% certainty that the children have been placed in protective custody in a non family member placement. This is done so that the children can be properly interviewed by professionals without any possibility of family influence. What those children say to investigators or even foster care providers over the next few weeks or even months could be detrimental to building a case against SP or even JP. I would expect the children to remain in foster care for at least 90 days and possibly longer. At least they are safe now but I think it will take a very long time before everything comes out.

That scares me. Here in az our foster care system is majorly overloaded. Do they have special foster homes for cases like this.

When I was in WA I worked in a group home for teenage girls with behavior issues that need to be addressed before transitioning to foster care. At that time the resources for that kind of care were greater than the resources for similar services here in AZ. In WA they had an MA who was there monday through friday, worked with us to develop, discuss etc. the girls ITP's. Az had nothing like that. I hope that kind of thing is still available in WA because regular GCC's like me are not at all qualified to do anything even close to the type of attention these boys need without an MA, and we definatly had no business trying to do that kind of questioning.

We could report to the MA if one of the girls talked about it in the corse of a normal day or if our primary talked about it during one on one time. But we could call to staff something if it was something major. I loved working there because working with a team like that I really felt like I was making a difference.

Are there foster families that have that kind of support? Are there special foster parents that are qualified to deal with this type of situation? I'm just worried about the boys if they are being kept from their grandparents it better be worth it because they've just been through so much. And then we monitored family visits because in all those cases the girls came from abusive families. Of course Susan's parents are not abusive but shouldn't they be monitored in case they do or say something during a visit that is related to their mom's disappearance?

Do you think that the boys will get the best treatment possible because the situation is so extreme and high profile? Not like they would be hurt in the home, but they've been through so much already, being placed with strangers is just one more thing for them. It's a kick to my heart to even think about it.

And then it would be hard for Susan's parents too.

I guess even if the boys can't help with the investigation it would be just wonderful knowing that Susan's kids are somewhere safe and secure. Have you ever seen a situation like this and have any idea how this would work, how often it works etc.?

And then when you say protective custody what does that mean? Are we talking about an unknown location or LE protection, because as long as JP is free I really worry about him kidnapping the boys to keep them from talking. I know it sounds extreme but JP and his father have done hideous things and rationalized them.

I hope this nightmare is over for these boys as soon as possible. I pray that they don't have to testify against one of these monsters in court. I can't imagine how terrifying that would be. But if they have information it would really help the jury see JP and his father for what they are. And to see how much they have hurt these innocent little boys.

God bless you for everything you have done, there just aren't enough people out there like you.

Here is some info on SP's background. If someone knows or can get his full criminal history please post it. TIA. This will also help determine how much time he will possibly serve in prison for these current charges.

Jennifer Graves, 18 when her parents divorced, wrote in court documents she feared her father would hurt her mother. She described calling police once after a family argument in which her brothers and father tried to grab court affidavits away from her mom, pushing her in the process. She wrote Steve Powell later tried to talk to her and her sister, Alina.
“Dad came in and started talking to Alina. He said, ‘You didn’t really think I was going to hurt mom, did you?’ She said, ‘Well, yes. I was scared,’ ” Graves wrote. “And she really was scared. She was screaming and crying hysterically when Dad and the boys were grabbing mom and trying to get the envelopes ... she was terrified, and my dad was trying to convince her that nothing had really happened.”
Steven Powell was not charged with any crime in connection with that incident and has never been charged with abuse of any kind toward his children or wife.
Graves also wrote in the documents her father used to make her and her siblings lie in a bathtub filled with cold water when they wet the bed as young children. She said her younger siblings also behaved better when her father was not around.
Steven Powell treated his wife “like dirt,” Graves said Friday, belittling her over what she made for dinner, how she cleaned the house, and a laundry list of other nitpicking Graves categorizes as emotionally abusive.
Josh Powell wrote in court documents at age 16 that he wanted to live with his father, a furniture salesman, after his parents’ split. He said his mother appeared to not want custody of him and his brothers and wrote that he worried that his other siblings wouldn’t be in an emotionally stable environment with his mom.
He wrote that his mother and her relatives lectured him about “not being better Mormons and not believing what we’re supposed to.”
“We also seem to do an awful amount of arguing over religion and where and when we have to go to church and what we have to believe. She goes to the Mormon, and I feel that it is a lot of scare tactics and brain washing and think the younger kids should be protected from that,” Josh wrote.
By the time Josh attended Eastern Washington University from 1997 to 1998, he had moved in with his mom again and wrote that “her home was a good, loving environment and my siblings and I can count on her when we need her,” court records state.

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/sltrib/pages/printerfriendly.csp?id=50818007

Thanks BeanE! The look of disgust on the female interviewers face while he is slandering Susan is PRICELESS!

Also, it was funny when SP tried to walk away from the cameras toward the front of the vehicle for his perp walk and the Sheriff deputy had his arm and guided him right toward the cameras. :great:

Moo

wm

I just love seeing him wearing pink handcuffs :floorlaugh:

Here is some info on SP's background. If someone knows or can get his full criminal history please post it. TIA. This will also help determine how much time he will possibly serve in prison for these current charges.

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/sltrib/pages/printerfriendly.csp?id=50818007

Quite a change in thoughts from JP huh? It would seem to me whomever is buttering his bread better is where his loyalties are at the moment. Also, it would be interesting to find out if he was one of the "boys" attacking the mom, would show some past behavior that could help the states case against him eventually. If he grew up disrespecting women this much (IE: his mother) and being shown by SP that it was ok behavior then it also goes to show some of what Susan may have went through with him.

The whole thing makes me sick :sick:

I believe the boys are too young to testify in court. The thing they might do is put them in a room and video their responses to questions and conversations. Not leading questions. Probably with a child psychologist.

That was how they did it when my friend's 2 granddaughters were molested.

I find it unlikely that if she knew he was taking pictures of the neighbor girls that Susan would keep quiet about it. jmo

Oh my God. What if Stephen knew Josh took the kids camping, and knew he'd have time alone with Susan who he was obsessed with, and came and started showing her the pics and videos, maybe of her, then accidentally played a video of the kids, and Susan got angry and threatened to report him to LE, and he 'got rid of her'.

Oh my God, I'm just nauseous. Susan, what happened to you? :(

I actually did wonder if maybe Susan stumbled across something when I first read this news today... :(

I believe the boys are too young to testify in court. The thing they might do is put them in a room and video their responses to questions and conversations. Not leading questions. Probably with a child psychologist.

That was how they did it when my friend's 2 granddaughters were molested.

My daughter, at 12, was interviewed by a forensic psycologist behind a two way mirror. On the other side were 2 detectives and the case worker from child services as well as myself. It was all taped and many notes were taken. That is how PA does it, Ohio would have put her on the stand against her father. I hope WA has some of the same rules as PA in this case.

What a sick man! There is no telling what he is capable of.....MOO. Did he want us to believe Susan was interested in him? (yuck) or trying to convince himself? How did he manage to convince JP? Strange people! Poor Susan!

Good Morning All!

I just saw this reported on MSN and about fell out of my chair! I knew SP was a super freak and I'm really glad they nailed him for his crimes, esp. against children!! Disgusting excuse of a man!!

I'm really thinking that SP may be the reason Susan is gone. I do think JP would have been in the room when SP took out his anger on Susan butt JP would not have done anything about it. JP would have done what daddy said, IMHO.

Do you all think that SP may have sexual abused JP?

This is all my own opinion. WOO HOO SP is in trouble now!! Hope they can find Susan soon!

Quite a change in thoughts from JP huh? It would seem to me whomever is buttering his bread better is where his loyalties are at the moment. Also, it would be interesting to find out if he was one of the "boys" attacking the mom, would show some past behavior that could help the states case against him eventually. If he grew up disrespecting women this much (IE: his mother) and being shown by SP that it was ok behavior then it also goes to show some of what Susan may have went through with him.

The whole thing makes me sick :sick:

Thanks.

Where is Josh's mother? Has she ever been interviewed?

Josh Powell wrote in court documents at age 16 that he wanted to live with his father, a furniture salesman, after his parents’ split.He said his mother appeared to not want custody of him and his brothers and wrote that he worried that his other siblings wouldn’t be in an emotionally stable environment with his mom.

He wrote that his mother and her relatives lectured him about “not being better Mormons and not believing what we’re supposed to.”

What this looks like to me is a conflict with his mother CREATED AND PROMOTED by Steven Powell. Just like with Susan. He also used the same wedge - religion.

Steven Powell created a monster capable of murder through ruining all the love Josh could have had. He took away his mother, his wife, his faith, his community.

There is a special place in Hell for Steven Powell.

okay... so he is reminding me of Phillip Garrido now!!! (creepy music and voyerism)...

That scares me. Here in az our foster care system is majorly overloaded. Do they have special foster homes for cases like this.

When I was in WA I worked in a group home for teenage girls with behavior issues that need to be addressed before transitioning to foster care. At that time the resources for that kind of care were greater than the resources for similar services here in AZ. In WA they had an MA who was there monday through friday, worked with us to develop, discuss etc. the girls ITP's. Az had nothing like that. I hope that kind of thing is still available in WA because regular GCC's like me are not at all qualified to do anything even close to the type of attention these boys need without an MA, and we definatly had no business trying to do that kind of questioning.

We could report to the MA if one of the girls talked about it in the course of a normal day or if our primary talked about it during one on one time. But we could call to staff something if it was something major. I loved working there because working with a team like that I really felt like I was making a difference.

Are there foster families that have that kind of support? Are there special foster parents that are qualified to deal with this type of situation? I'm just worried about the boys if they are being kept from their grandparents it better be worth it because they've just been through so much. And then we monitored family visits because in all those cases the girls came from abusive families. Of course Susan's parents are not abusive but shouldn't they be monitored in case they do or say something during a visit that is related to their mom's disappearance?

Do you think that the boys will get the best treatment possible because the situation is so extreme and high profile? Not like they would be hurt in the home, but they've been through so much already, being placed with strangers is just one more thing for them. It's a kick to my heart to even think about it.

And then it would be hard for Susan's parents too.

I guess even if the boys can't help with the investigation it would be just wonderful knowing that Susan's kids are somewhere safe and secure. Have you ever seen a situation like this and have any idea how this would work, how often it works etc.?

And then when you say protective custody what does that mean? Are we talking about an unknown location or LE protection, because as long as JP is free I really worry about him kidnapping the boys to keep them from talking. I know it sounds extreme but JP and his father have done hideous things and rationalized them.

I hope this nightmare is over for these boys as soon as possible. I pray that they don't have to testify against one of these monsters in court. I can't imagine how terrifying that would be. But if they have information it would really help the jury see JP and his father for what they are. And to see how much they have hurt these innocent little boys.

God bless you for everything you have done, there just aren't enough people out there like you.

I hope I can answer a few of your questions. We have fostered in 3 different States and in all three we were licensed as a"therapeutic foster home" much more training is involved and there is a ton of daily paperwork to be done for each child as well as weekly or monthly team meetings with Psychologist, Caseworker, Social Worker, Foster parent's, and CASA worker for the child/children. As the child/children progressed the target biological or adoptive parents were included in the team meeting in preparation for transitioning into new placement.
In high profile cases or publicized cases it was imperative that we not take the child/children out in public and that we make arraignments with the school for a "no release of information" and "no outings." The school was also required to call the Caseworker or LE if anyone other than the foster parent attempted to check the child out of school or pick the child up from school. Once we even had a child transported to and from school by the caseworker herself.
One placement for us was a 6 year old who had witnessed the murder of his mother just hours before he arrived at our home. He came in the door talking and I think he talked for the entire 8 weeks he was with us. Everything was very detailed, the blood, the boom of the gun, him telling us how he was screaming and screaming, and how Jimmy (not real name) was telling him to shut up, shut up, just shut the *advertiser censored* up. His story was repeated over and over and over again and over time it got bigger and bigger and bigger. But the important documentation was during the first two weeks before his story started getting bigger, that's the documentation that sent his mother's murderer to prison....well, that along with the gun, the fingerprints, the DNA of his step father.
After 8 weeks our lil' guy went to live with his Aunt and Uncle who later adopted him.
I should also mention that this case occurred outside of our County and the child was specifically placed outside the County where the crime occurred, which is normally the case. We also lived in a very rural area so that made our home one of the more preferred homes for higher profile or high risk cases. I suspect this will be the same with Susan's boys, in a rural setting, in a therapeutic foster home somewhere in Washington State. I believe in therapeutic foster home, they are the absolute best because the providers are required to adhere very stringent training and jump through a lot of hoops that basic foster homes are not required to adhere to. They are very well trained and they do the job right or they don't keep their license. I'm very confident that Susan's boys will be well cared for and that they will eventually be placed with biological family.

It's 6:30 am, my daughter who lives in WA, just sent me a text message. Mom, they arrested Steve Powell!!!

Wow, can I say I'm surprised, but not surprised?

[/QUOTE]

Man, I hope you find that post!! Do you think JP is pedo or both? I wonder if JP just follows dad's orders? Either or I just want them BOTH taken down!!!

Pink cuffs and all!! :)

OMG... I feel sick... :(

What an awful family for Susan to get entangled with. I do believe it cost her her life.

I agree, perhaps she discovered some of these sick, twisted family secrets, and was going to blow the whistle on them. There is definitely more than one in this family with a motive. SP could have killed her to keep her quiet and JP had possibly a couple of reasons. To protect his Daddy and that Susan wanted out of this sick family.

I truly believe it is all starting to unravel. The whole bizarre living arrangements of all these adults is so abnormal. I wouldn't be surprised if he had other family members in the photos along with Susan. Maybe this will have all of them singing like a canary.

Somewhere in this sick sordid family is the truth to what happened to Susan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member