Steven Powell arrested in Washington State

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm as delighted as anyone here to see SP wearing orange, but I feel awful for these two boys. First they lose their mother, then they're moved to a new state and a new house and the lethal psychodynamics of BizarroPowellWorld, where they witness police raids and the arrest of their paternal grandfather, and finally are removed from the home and their father -- who they must view very differently than we do, and undoubtedly love -- by CPS.

I cannot imagine how frightening, disorienting and despair-making this must all be. Who could forget it?

s

I worry less what the boys have been told about their mother and more about what they may have seen. But whatever they have seen or heard they have had time to begin coping with it in their own ways.

But when I think of them in foster care I can only compare that to where they have been living in the past two years. With a father worried about legal issues, a grandfather who was into peeking and according to reports was anti-govenment, outspoken and maybe imprudent about what he said and who was present when he said it. Foster care comes out on top.

Yes best case would be for them to be with their grandparents, but at the same time I don't want to see them in the middle of a custody battle between father and other grandfather right now. Being in foster care means they are kept out of completely unless they are seeing a guardian ad litum or called to go to court. And foster parents are trained to handle kids who come from even more stressful situations than these boys came from. So I have to trust that the boys are better off right now than they were last week. And that perhaps in the next hearings they may get visitation or even temp custody assigned to the grandparents.

I think the "Cox grandparents must relocate" was on JVM briefly. It was likely due to starting the long and ridiculous (my opinion) CPS process and starting visitation with their grandchildren.

I think someone made an erroneous assumption. The Powells and the Coxes live only a short distance from each other in the very same town. There is no reason why the Coxes would have to relocate in order to have custody of the boys. They are practically neighbors now. I suspect someone thought the Coxes live in Utah.

with that many people in the house how do they know SP is the one who took the pics?

I think JP is in the personality of his father. He has been overwhelmed by him to the point of taking on his "winning" personality. He has been subjected to abuse and false propaganda to manipulate Josh into seeing the world as SP does. I strongly feel SP is that evil, frankly a spiritual demon (MOO). Sorry if that is off the wall for some, just giving my honest take on SP.

Josh would need a very savvy detective who could get Josh disentangled from SP's hold on him psychologically. MOO.

Just as an example, I would show a mutual respect and try to understand his world, establishing rapport. I would invite him to discuss his life, and direct his attention to what his father has done for him, advice he has given, etc. Also, even discussing similarities and differences between him and his father could break the personality away so that Josh was more free of SPs influence. The strategy would be for Josh to spot how his father has ruined his life and done him in. At that point, he would talk IMO, in no small part due to the evidence they have already, and that his life could be spared (instead life in prison.)

I hope he isnt counting on his singing career to make him any money LOL

The lips that I never kissed, but wanted
To plant my lips everywhere on you,
And count every hair on you,
And sit here and stare at what you flaunted

What? That doesn't turn you into a puddle of goo?

Being in foster care means they are kept out of completely unless they are seeing a guardian ad litum or called to go to court. And foster parents are trained to handle kids who come from even more stressful situations than these boys came from. So I have to trust that the boys are better off right now than they were last week. And that perhaps in the next hearings they may get visitation or even temp custody assigned to the grandparents.
Respectively shortened.

Family care is safer. I'm praying they are immediately placed with the Cox family.

A study by Johns Hopkins University found that the rate of sexual abuse within the foster-care system is more than four times as high as in the general population; in group homes, the rate of sexual abuse is more than 28 times that of the general population.
http://www.nccpr.org/reports/01SAFETY.pdf

I think JP is in the personality of his father. He has been overwhelmed by him to the point of taking on his "winning" personality. He has been subjected to abuse and false propaganda to manipulate Josh into seeing the world as SP does. I strongly feel SP is that evil, frankly a spiritual demon (MOO). Sorry if that is off the wall for some, just giving my honest take on SP.

Josh would need a very savvy detective who could get Josh disentangled from SP's hold on him psychologically. MOO.

Just as an example, I would show a mutual respect and try to understand his world, establishing rapport. I would invite him to discuss his life, and direct his attention to what his father has done for him, advice he has given, etc. Also, even discussing similarities and differences between him and his father could break the personality away so that Josh was more free of SPs influence. The strategy would be for Josh to spot how his father has ruined his life and done him in. At that point, he would talk IMO, in no small part due to the evidence they have already, and that his life could be spared (instead life in prison.)

I agree.

I wonder if JP will try to use his and Susan's house to help his dad?

I believe they are upside down on that Utah house. Probably NO chance of selling it at this point, and no equity to borrow against. He is renting it out now, probably barely making even, if that.

The lips that I never kissed, but wanted
To plant my lips everywhere on you,
And count every hair on you,
And sit here and stare at what you flaunted

What? That doesn't turn you into a puddle of goo?

That SHOULD offend JP to no end. I wonder if he too wanted to move to get her out of SP's house. That is so highly inappropriate im sure the cops must have suspected SP is not normal and highly suspect.

with that many people in the house how do they know SP is the one who took the pics?

I know right? Why couldn't it have happened that way in the Hailey Dunn case with SA?

Page 6 of the document states they are not sure if an arrest will be made in WA or Utah they are prepared to move to Utah if Josh was arrested there.

http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2011-09/23456300479200-23105853.pdf

I don't think that is what they are saying in that document.

It says the Coxes are prepared to take custody if the arrest happens in Washington. Then it says the Graves are prepared to take custody if the arrest happens in Utah. Then at the end of that section, it says, "They [The Graves] are also aware that we are prepared to move in the event the arrest occurs here [Washington]."

I do not think "move" in this instance should be interpreted as "relocate." If you look at the sentence above that one, it says, "...if something were to occur in Utah, and Josh happens to be located there when arrested, they are prepared to move with legal action." I think the word move in this context means "take action", not relocate. There would be no reason for that. They have responsible people in each jurisdiction prepared for the inevitable arrest.

Does JP still own the house, is he paying for it, or did he loose it? He isn't working, is he? How could he be making a house payment without working?

SP has a grown daughter, 2 grown sons, 2 grandchildren and himself to support. (Did I miss anyone?) What kind of salary does he make? All those cars, insurance, house payment, utilities, groceries. Seems strange. Plus a son living with him who is running for Congress. That costs money too.

JP might be on unemployment though.

This is so strange.

I seem to recall that one or two of Josh's siblings served in the military and might be students at this time, so they might be getting student loan/GI Bill funds. Somehow I doubt they are going to be very pleased about spending their own money to support Josh and Daddy with their own money. I predict a mass exodus.

Can you find the status of JP's house?

That information is found with each county and each county can do it their own way. I'll see if I can find anything, but I am pretty sure the house is being rented out right now.

That information is found with each county and each county can do it their own way. I'll see if I can find anything, but I am pretty sure the house is being rented out right now.

Thanks it has already been posted by HotLavaJava.

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7153764&postcount=918"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Steven Powell arrested in Washington State[/ame]

ETQwq.jpg

I seem to recall (doing a lot of that lately!) that Josh and Susan bought the house for around $190-200k. They owe more than they could sell it for at this point. Like millions of other Americans.

I've given this some thought on who will betray the other first. (By the way I think this would be a great poll question.)

I will make a bold prediction and say that Steven Powell will betray his son and throw him under the bus, saying he only learned of the murder after the fact, and will tell LE where the body is in exchange for leniency, maybe that he will not be charged with obstruction of justice, conspiracy to commit murder, etc. (he will still face the current charges, however.)

The reason I think that is because of the following factors:

1. I think SP is already implicated in this crime, and that it was his hard drive and/or journals that discussed Topaz Mntn and even the murder itself.
2. SP is sociopathic, no empathy, no remorse, no conscience. He doesn't love Josh.
3. Josh loves his father due to his father's manipulations that he was the only one who cared about him.
4. Josh has less intelligence (which isn't saying much, but still).
5. SP only cares about himself.

MOO.

Good assessment.

All in all it looks like the P's are between the skillet and the fire right now. Looks like the state will pick up the defense on this one.

All in all it looks like the P's are between the skillet and the fire right now. Looks like the state will pick up the defense on this one.

I hope not. SP is not indigent. I bet he has a nice retirement fund. Cars. Possessions he could sell. I hate to see someone who owns a house and things be able to get free representation at the taxpayer's expense. Heck, he could sell all his high-end peeping paraphernalia and get a few hours of representation on that alone!

I hope not. SP is not indigent. I bet he has a nice retirement fund. Cars. Possessions he could sell. I hate to see someone who owns a house and things be able to get free representation at the taxpayer's expense. Heck, he could sell all his high-end peeping paraphernalia and get a few hours of representation on that alone!

Yeah but you have to think

HH expenses
five unemployed adults
2 housepayments with rent coming in for one home
legal expenses
bond
legal custody battle for grandkids

Lots and lots of expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics