student kills self after webcam spying UPDATE: Conviction Overturned

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for the updates! I'm really anxious to know how the jury will vote on this one ! :seeya:

Here are the 15 counts against Dharun Ravi:
http://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/042011_ravi_indict.pdf

Count 1: Invasion of privacy (4th degree)
Count 2: Bias intimidation (3rd degree)
Count 3: Invasion of privacy (3rd degree)
Count 4: Bias intimidation (2nd degree)
Count 5: Attempted invasion of privacy (4th degree)
Count 6: Bias intimidation (3rd degree)
Count 7: Attempted invasion of privacy (3rd degree)
Count 8: Bias intimidation (2nd degree)
Count 9: Tampering with physical evidence (4th degree)
Count 10: Tampering with physical evidence (4th degree)
count 11: Hindering apprehension or prosecution (3rd degree)
count 12: Hindering apprehension or prosecution (3rd degree)
Count 13: Hindering apprehension or prosecution (3rd degree)
Count 14: Witness tampering (3rd degree)
Count 15: Tampering with physical evidence (4th degree)

Why are some of the counts repeated? Count 11, 12, 13 and Count 10 & 15 (??)

Is it because they were done at different times & locations? How much jail time does he get if he's found guilty? TIA

If you get a chance to read the pdf in my post above, you will see that it details what the alleged charge/offense was, and on what date it occurred, for each of the 15 offenses/charges. Some charges/acts are alleged to have happened more than once, and to a different degree.

I'm not a postaholic - this trial is in my county and Rutgers is very close. The coverage is very heavy in this area, and as a Websleuther - I am completely riveted by the whole process.

The judge, who I think is outstanding, is now confirming specific pieces of evidence with the PT & DT, along with their objections, and how his rulings will be applied to his Jury instructions.

IMO, I think Dharun Ravi should have testified in his own defense. I know he is not required to do this, but I think it could have gone in his favor. The only time the jury has heard Ravi’s own words were during the police interview, where he is seen:

1. Admitting to invading Tyler’s privacy – counts 1, 3, 5, & 7
2. Lying about deleting or altering his texts – counts 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15
3. Lying about what he thought his computer would capture – counts 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15

Also, his own texts show that he reached out to Molly Wei to discuss what she was going to tell the police – count 14.

The biggest charges, Bias intimidation – counts 2, 4, 6 and 8, deal with Dharun Ravi’s state of mind and his purpose for committing these alleged acts against Tyler.

If the defense’s position is that Ravi did not understand how far his actions would go, and that yes, Ravi did a bad thing, but not for any specific reason - he could have said it to the jury. He could have portrayed himself as a new college student, first time on his own, who was an immature, tech savvy guy, but not a person who targeted Tyler because he disliked gays. Ravi could have simply said it was a stupid thing to do, but not a bias act.

The DT can't undue what is shown in the police interview. Then there are all of the dorm mates who testified that twice Ravi set up his camera, tested it in other dorm rooms to ensure it was pointed at Tyler's bed, for the sole purpose of surreptitously capturing Tyler and MB antisipated (1st time) and then expected (2nd time) private sexual acts. Then there are Ravi's many texts and face-to-face conversations seeking an audience for his two surreptitious streams. One of his most damming text contains his own words - "keep the gays away".

IMO - I think Dharun Ravi will be convicted on all counts except count 14.

I'm not a postaholic - This is in my county and Rutgers is very close. The trial coverage is very heavy here, and as a Websleuther - I am comepletly riveted by the whole process.

I think Dharun Ravi should have testified in his own defense. I know he is not required to do this, but I think it could have gone in his favor. The only time the jury has heard Ravi’s own words were during the police interview, where he is seen:

Also, his own texts show that he reached out to Wei to discuss what she was going to tell the police – count 14

The biggest charges, Bias intimidation – counts 2, 4, 6 and 8, deal with Dharun Ravi’s state of mind and his purpose for committing these alleged acts against Tyler.

If the defense’s position is that Ravi did not understand how far his actions would go, and/or that yes, Ravi did a bad thing, but not for any specific reason (that Tyler was gay) - he should have said it to the jury. He could have portrayed himself as a new college student, first time on his own, who was an immature, tech savvy guy, but not a person who targeted Tyler because Ravi disliked gays. The bad stuff is already out there (police interview), so I don’t know what else the State could have uncovered under cross.

The judge, who I think is outstanding, is now confirming specific pieces of evidence with the PT & DT, along with their objections, and how his rulings will be applied to his Jury instructions.
Please do keep posting trial updates, you're keeping the rest of us informed as to what's happening!

I'm not a postaholic - this trial is in my county and Rutgers is very close. The coverage is very heavy in this area, and as a Websleuther - I am completely riveted by the whole process.

I think Dharun Ravi should have testified in his own defense. I know he is not required to do this, but I think it could have gone in his favor. The only time the jury has heard Ravi’s own words were during the police interview, where he is seen:

Also, his own texts show that he reached out to Molly Wei to discuss what she was going to tell the police – count 14.

If the defense’s position is that Ravi did not understand how far his actions would go, and/or that yes, Ravi did a bad thing, but not for any specific reason - he should have said it to the jury. He could have portrayed himself as a new college student, first time on his own, who was an immature, tech savvy guy, but not a person who targeted Tyler because Ravi disliked gays. They can't undue what is shown in the police interview, and what else could the State have uncovered under cross specific to the bias charges? All Ravi had to do was maintain that he did not do this because he dislikes gays, say it was a stupid thing to do, but not a bias act.

Were any of his friends called to testify on his behalf? Not family friends but his own friends. On Friday, on HLN they mentioned that he allegedly had a gay friend and this gay friend was going to testify. Did that happen?

Thanks for all the updates! They are very much appreciated for those of us at work!!

Is it possible the DT didn't put Ravi on the stand because he truly is homophobic? Maybe the DT was worried that the PT on cross would rile Ravi up & his true colors would be shown. I would think that the DT practiced w/ Ravi, &, possibly it didn't go so well.

Or, he generally doesn't do well (in practice) on the stand, &, the DT is afraid the jury just won't like him.

If the defense’s position is that Ravi did not understand how far his actions would go, and/or that yes, Ravi did a bad thing, but not for any specific reason - he should have said it to the jury. He could have portrayed himself as a new college student, first time on his own, who was an immature, tech savvy guy, but not a person who targeted Tyler because Ravi disliked gays. They can't undue what is shown in the police interview, and what else could the State have uncovered under cross specific to the bias charges? All Ravi had to do was maintain that he did not do this because he dislikes gays, say it was a stupid thing to do, but not a bias act.

Personally, I think Dharun Ravi will be convicted on all counts except count 14.

I have been following this trial and I personally think it is open and shut. As evidenced by the DT short defense, almost no defense. I think the state has proven invasion of privacy and I think the intent was there because of the subject matter.

Given the outcome I am sure Ravi is feeling pretty guilty and ashamed. I know that I would be horribly embarrased. I really feel sorry for his poor family who has been in court everyday. The whole incident is disgusting to me and Ravi definitely broke the law. jmo

Is it possible the DT didn't put Ravi on the stand because he truly is homophobic? Maybe the DT was worried that the PT on cross would rile Ravi up & his true colors would be shown. I would think that the DT practiced w/ Ravi, &, possibly it didn't go so well.

Or, he generally doesn't do well (in practice) on the stand, &, the DT is afraid the jury just won't like him.

The few times I've watched him in court, he comes across as arrogant and cocky. I don't think he would hold up well on the stand. :moo:

Were any of his friends called to testify on his behalf? Not family friends but his own friends. On Friday, on HLN they mentioned that he allegedly had a gay friend and this gay friend was going to testify. Did that happen?

Thanks for all the updates! They are very much appreciated for those of us at work!!

None of his friends testified for him. There was no gay friend (if that person even exists) that testified for him.

You'd think at least 1 or 2 friends would have helped him out. So, is it the parents wouldn't let their kids testify for him? He's truly homophobic & the friends know that? Don't know.

I have been following this trial and I personally think it is open and shut. As evidenced by the DT short defense, almost no defense. I think the state has proven invasion of privacy and I think the intent was there because of the subject matter.

Given the outcome I am sure Ravi is feeling pretty guilty and ashamed. I know that I would be horribly embarrased. I really feel sorry for his poor family who has been in court everyday. The whole incident is disgusting to me and Ravi definitely broke the law. jmo

I agree w/ you, but, I'm not so sure he will be found guilty on the "bias intimidation" charge. The PT didn't seem to present enough evidence that he had a vendetta against gays.

There are different degrees to each charge, &, I don't know how this will play into how he's charged.

I think the "invasion of privacy" charge is a slam dunk.

I agree w/ you, but, I'm not so sure he will be found guilty on the "bias intimidation" charge. The PT didn't seem to present enough evidence that he had a vendetta against gays.

There are different degrees to each charge, &, I don't know how this will play into how he's charged.

I think the "invasion of privacy" charge is a slam dunk.
To me from the little I have read, the bias intimidation was clear, from his own comments-he was disgusted by gays, and that's the reason he wanted to broadcast the webcam of Tyler to embarass him and discourage gay sex. Ravi's intent is what's important to me, not whether it actually got broadcast or not. There was more than one incident, if it was only once, I would agree that it was just "immaturity", but not when it happened twice!!!

IMO, I think Dharun Ravi should have testified in his own defense. I know he is not required to do this, but I think it could have gone in his favor. The only time the jury has heard Ravi’s own words were during the police interview, where he is seen:

3. Lying about what he thought his computer would capture – counts 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15

If the defense’s position is that Ravi did not understand how far his actions would go, and that yes, Ravi did a bad thing, but not for any specific reason - he could have said it to the jury. He could have portrayed himself as a new college student, first time on his own, who was an immature, tech savvy guy, but not a person who targeted Tyler because he disliked gays. Ravi could have simply said it was a stupid thing to do, but not a bias act.

The DT can't undue what is shown in the police interview. Then there are all of the dorm mates who testified that twice Ravi set up his camera, tested it in other dorm rooms to ensure it was pointed at Tyler's bed, for the sole purpose of surreptitously capturing Tyler and MB antisipated (1st time) and then expected (2nd time) private sexual acts. Then there are Ravi's many texts and face-to-face conversations seeking an audience for his two surreptitious streams. One of his most damming text contains his own words - "keep the gays away".

IMO - I think Dharun Ravi will be convicted on all counts except count 14.

Thanks was not enough for this great post, zip. (hope you don't mind me shortening your name). :D

I'm from NJ as well - a county North of there and I've been following pretty closely too but your updates and opinons to me, have been spot on. :)

I remember being so appalled when I heard about Tyler's suicide and how the info had unfolded..and had seen some of Tyler's posts on the gay websites and how desperate and sad he seemed. :(

I agree with those who have said he seems kind of cocky -- maybe that is why they didn't have him testify because as you said, he may have been able to play off immaturity a bit...but instead seeing lie after lie on those police tapes.

The DT basically put on no case - I don't see how they can acquit him on any of these charges. Lastly, the lead defense lawyer was beyond annoying but I loved the judge and the prosecutor.

The few times I've watched him in court, he comes across as arrogant and cocky. I don't think he would hold up well on the stand. :moo:

I agree n/t- I just saw the clip today on Vinnie's show where he was saying he didn't want to testify and he had this awkward aww shucks kind of smile that looked very out of place...

Thank you ZIP and everyone that has contributed to this thread. I truly appreciate all the continue updates as I can't always get to see IS. I also as well appreciate all the in depth explanation of everything from the different counts to those that testified. And like ZIP posted, I also find the Judge to be outstanding.

Like all of you, I was so saddened when I heard about Tyler's death. How horrifically sad it had to come down to him committing suicide. A very gifted and talent young man gone.

I also am with those of you who think Ravi is cocky. And to me he appears BORED to be there. Ugh.

Due to RL, I haven't been able to see all the trial. I'm now over an hour behind watching InSession on DVR. I hope to catch up to real time sooner or later.

Middlesex County is my old stomping ground (and I went to high school with the judge...). I've followed the case from the beginning.

So far, (beginning of closing), the atty. is pointing out that the video wasn't recorded, as though that makes the crime less serious.

Personally, I don't think this will rise to the level of a hate crime, but he's a shoo-in for most, if not all of the other counts.

Was he "mischevious" or homophobic, I'm not sure. Will be on verdict watch if we ever get through the closings.

If Dahrun Ravi wanted to harass Tyler, he COULD have done a lot more, and goes on to list a whole bunch of ways he could have done so. More people, people standing outside the door, scowling ... just two.

None of his Twitter people did anything about his message on the 19th.

Tyler found out about the web cam, twitted his friends. HE knew what happened and filled out a room change form on line.

Was he being intimidated? Was anyone showing him hate?

Next, I'm sure he'll say Tyler did it again on the 21st.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back